C&C - SX280 goes to Malaysia

Started Feb 25, 2014 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
J_dpr Contributing Member • Posts: 827
C&C - SX280 goes to Malaysia

I'm one of the happy owners of the SX280. I had it with me on a 2 week trip to Malaysia and used it exclusively (except for the UW shots). I took about 1000 pictures and never had any battery issues. I think the camera served me well. Anyway - I'd really like your honest opinion about the following photos. Which once are boring, which ones are good if any, what could I have done to make them better etc.

We are friends. (Dusky Leaf Monkeys)

A Skink in the rainforest

Dragonfly perched on a branch

Pools overlooking the rainforest

Yummy these berries are good

Finally got a decent shot of the elusive Hornbill

Stay off our home!

Trees of Kuala Lumpur

Petronas Twin Towers

Thanks for looking. I hope the number of images don't exceed some max limit for a thread. If so let me know and I'll remove some.

Jan

Ian Abrahamson Regular Member • Posts: 343
Re: C&C - SX280 goes to Malaysia

Those pics are fabulous, that under water shot, top of the pops

-- hide signature --

Current power shot SX 50 HS
Nikon S9300
Power shot SX 270 HS
Power shot SX 110 IS
Fugi Finpix E 500

Ian Abrahamson's gear list:Ian Abrahamson's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Xperia Z3 Compact +1 more
brianj Forum Pro • Posts: 14,657

They all look great to me, the SX2xx series make a brilliant travel companion.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Lightpath48 Senior Member • Posts: 4,083
Boring? Hardly!

Your photos are wonderful! SX2 _ _ cams have been flying off the shelves for travel/family cams for some time.  They produce very high quality images easily.  But you have demonstrated a real eye for photography.  Well done!  That's the most important part.

Lightpath48's gear list:Lightpath48's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
J_dpr OP Contributing Member • Posts: 827
Re: Boring? Hardly!

Thank you all for your kind words!

Gonini Forum Member • Posts: 63

Great pics.

coody
coody Senior Member • Posts: 1,692
Nice. Will the SX700 be much better?

No text.

racollins Contributing Member • Posts: 536

Jan,

These are beautiful shots! The SX280 performed beautifully. I am also a fan of the 280 and find it to be a wonderful camera and a lot of fun to use and handle. The only suggestion I would make concerning this series of images is to consider bringing down the highlights just a little in the first picture (on the tree) and maybe open the shadows up a little in the second image. I hesitate to even make those suggestions though because after looking at these and the other shots in your gallery, it's clear that you're an excellent and very talented photographer with a superb eye for great subjects and equally great compositions. Those close-ups are wonderful! Thanks for sharing these, and I hope you continue to add to your gallery because I really enjoyed browsing it.

Andy

racollins's gear list:racollins's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M Sony a6000

Andy

Thank you for your suggestions and kind comments. I agree - your suggestions improves those two photos. I've done the changes on the pics below. Thanks again:

wingei
wingei Forum Member • Posts: 66

I think for a pocket camera is excellent.

Beautiful mastery. Is there use of a significant zoom?

-- hide signature --

Bonjour...

wingei's gear list:wingei's gear list
PowerShot SX700
Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 4,817

Beautiful series! Lots of very good IQ with nice colors too. I just got back from my annual trip to Mexico and it got down to either the Canon or the Panasonic ZS19. I went with the Panny as Target had it at $149 on sale..too good to pass. I do prefer the Canon colors a little more, but happy with my results. You and your Canon hit these out of the park.

Hollander Senior Member • Posts: 1,370

I enjoyed you pictures Jan.

How did you take that under water shot?

Rob.

-- hide signature --

To keep my brain active I'm looking forward to my next trip. So much to see yet and not enough time.
http://robvorderman.zenfolio.com/

Hollander's gear list:Hollander's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX80 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +3 more

Thanks wingei! Yes the Skink, the Dragonfly and the second monkey closeup are all at max (500 mm. eqiv.) zoom.

Thank you Sactojim. I just checked your gallery, and you certainly have some excellent photos there yourself!

Hi Rob,

The underwater shot was done with my S95 in a RecSea underwater housing while freediving. The Sea anemone and clownfish were at a relatively shallow depth so ambient light + PP was more than enough to bring out the colors. These little buggers are extremely active moving around like crazy, so it's a matter of taking a lot of pictures and hopefully getting them in a good position over the anemone. I should have used a little higher arpeture on that shot because the clownfish on the lower right is a bit out of focus - oh well

Norman B Regular Member • Posts: 300

All are very nice. The dragonfly would be my #1 pic.

SX280, the only time people had a problem with the battery was when they used it in video mode as far as I know. People that did not use video had no battery issues and Canon did come up with a fix for this problem. I do not own a 280 but I do believe it to be a very fine go anywhere type camera as well as for traveling.

It will be interesting to see how the new SX700 with its longer range compares.

Thank you Norman. It's true that the battery problems are mostly related to video, but I've read a couple of post where some also have the problem shooting stills. Anyway I don't shoot much video so I'm happy with it.

WB5 Regular Member • Posts: 365

Very nice series of pictures. I'm impressed with the photographer and for a small sensor camera, the SX280HS looks like it can get extremely good results.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads