Is there anything today that feels even marginally like an OM-2?

Started Feb 24, 2014 | Questions
Becksvart Contributing Member • Posts: 533
Is there anything today that feels even marginally like an OM-2?

Hello.

I've used Sony's since the A100, that's when I got interested in photography for certain.

Upgraded to an A580 that was nice, especially with the Live view focus check and much better higher ISO capabilities. The build quality left quite a lot to be desired however. Upgraded to an A77 after realizing that large aperture lenses make mf af adjust quite critical. Really did like the build quality and feel of the A77, though its size meant I couldn't put it in the pocket of a jacket and as such it didn't get out and about as perhaps much as it could. The used NEX 3 I got for a companion was excellent with small manual lenses, however its shutter sounds like Donald Duck having an asthma fit.

The A77 and NEX 3 were stolen and a NEX 6 replaced them, together with an LA-EA2. Now I can see no obvious flaw with the NEX 6. Good EVF, good LCD, much better shutter sound, nicer build than the NEX 3.

It's just...I recently also inherited an Olympus OM-2 and if there was a contemporary camera that felt mostly like it I'd seriously considering buying it. I like that there is no grip, just heft. It's not too small and not too large and with the Zuiko lenses I've paired it with it's looked and felt awesome in the hand. Excellent to carry over the shoulder in a strap, and nice to set the aperture on the lens itself.

In the end it would appear thusly:

Images matter the most, but to take them you need a cellphone with a good ca- camera that says 'pick me up' like a fat cat that would love to ruin your jeans, and that unlike a fat cat is quite easy to take with you and not necessarily intimidating if you happen to approach people.

The NEX-6 is competent, however with Alpha lenses and the LA-EA2 not that small and I don't care much for the native lenses (no external controls, the ones with heft are expensive, if they exist, and is it possible to mf with peaking and no magnification yet?).

It could well be that this a "the grass is always greener" and my has the so called winter been mostly very non-scenic here, and selling things is not at all easy or quick...but the OM-2 says "pick me up" and I tend to oblige, even if it's electronic shutter sometimes becomes slug-like.

Should I go somewhere and hold an X-E2? Or be content with "good enough" and wait for pollen season?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-E2 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony SLT-A58 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,400
How about an OM-D or, better yet, Fuji X-T1?

Here's a video hands-on of what seems to me to be closest currently. The opening shots show some attempts at the form factor. (I happily owned 2 OM-1D cameras in the eighties.)

Lumixdude Senior Member • Posts: 2,782
Re: Is there anything today that feels even marginally like an OM-2?

The spiritual successor to the Olympus OM series is the Olympus OMD and you wont be disjointed as you will be with the Fuji X and Sony E in trying to find native lenses either... You've got fast primes, short zooms, medium zooms and long zooms... The only downside really is if you want something under 14mm it's simply going to be hard going due to the 2x crop factor.

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
OP Becksvart Contributing Member • Posts: 533
Re: How about an OM-D or, better yet, Fuji X-T1?

Thanks for that. Haven't seen a Kai review / preview / video yet, but wouldn't have expected them to be something akin to Top Gear, not in the least due to his way of speaking and the voiceovers.

The X-T1 appears very nice. As a new top-tier Fuji X however it will cost nice too and selling my NEX-6 and various lenses would meet with ~50% success and reasonably take six months. Which is why this thread might be a bit of a fool's errand to begin with..but if you feel attracted to something you should reasonably consider it anyway.

The X-E1 is hitting moderate prices now,..its build quality might not be any more like the OM-2's than the NEX-6's is. I suppose I need to hold one.

The Incredible Hoke
The Incredible Hoke Contributing Member • Posts: 894

Becksvart wrote:

Hello.

It's just...I recently also inherited an Olympus OM-2 and if there was a contemporary camera that felt mostly like it I'd seriously considering buying it. I like that there is no grip, just heft. It's not too small and not too large and with the Zuiko lenses I've paired it with it's looked and felt awesome in the hand. Excellent to carry over the shoulder in a strap, and nice to set the aperture on the lens itself.

Images matter the most, but to take them you need a cellphone with a good ca- camera that says 'pick me up' like a fat cat that would love to ruin your jeans, and that unlike a fat cat is quite easy to take with you and not necessarily intimidating if you happen to approach people.

The NEX-6 is competent, however with Alpha lenses and the LA-EA2 not that small and I don't care much for the native lenses (no external controls, the ones with heft are expensive, if they exist, and is it possible to mf with peaking and no magnification yet?).

It could well be that this a "the grass is always greener" and my has the so called winter been mostly very non-scenic here, and selling things is not at all easy or quick...but the OM-2 says "pick me up" and I tend to oblige, even if it's electronic shutter sometimes becomes slug-like.

Should I go somewhere and hold an X-E2? Or be content with "good enough" and wait for pollen season?

The OM cameras are awesome! I still use my inherited OM-1.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for your advice.

The OM-D E-M5 looks like a nice camera with (without having touched either) a build quality at least on par with the NEX 6. It has longer and more teles than the Fuji X mount, and the smaller sensor helps in that regard. Perhaps less metal than in Fuji X lenses however, and no external aperture ring.

I like doing macros outdoors too and crawling on the ground might be disruptive..unless you really like your camera anyway and can forgive its lack of a tiltable LCD.

Shall have to go and visit a place (places, most like) that sell both the X-E1 and E-M5 and ask to give them a whirl.

drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,659

You might try the OMD E-M10 (a little smaller and lighter) or the OMD E-M5 (a little larger than E-M10 and weather proof). See attached for comparison of OM2S and OMD E-M1.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +7 more
darklamp Senior Member • Posts: 3,567
That's a personal question

You have your own idea of what an OM-2 felt like to use. Your perceptions may not match anyone else's. Therein lies the problem.

We can't really tell you that you'll prefer one camera to another. It's something you have to find out yourself, IMO.

I also think you may be making a mistake. You are seeking something old and comfortable ( to you ) rather than embracing what is new. The reality is that digital is not film. We can wrap the new cameras in sheep-like clothing as much as we like ( and I dare say Hasselblad will probably try a woolen version on an NEX next ) but it's not going to go "Baahh".

{ Re the OM2 ] It's not too small and not too large

That's a personal criteria - you are essentially asking for something that fits your hands. Who else can answer this ?

and with the Zuiko lenses I've paired it with it's looked and felt awesome in the hand.

Appearance. Again, something very personal. "Felt". Personal.

Excellent to carry over the shoulder in a strap

Something you can do with almost any camera. Heck, there are a lot of choices for straps as well.

and nice to set the aperture on the lens itself.

I don't know about you, but I regularly mount Nikon and Pentax glass on my NEX with either a simple adapter ( giving crop frame ) or a focal reducer ( giving close enough to full frame ) and use the manual aperture rings all the time.

You could easily do that with any MILC, including your own NEX and your OM lenses. Lots of people do.

And look at the benefits : focus peaking, metering, focus magnification assist and the rest of the digital niceties like RAW, HDR and so on.

Thanks for that comparison!

Does the OM-D feel a lot less solid in hand? I realize we aren't going to get all metal digitals, but it would be fair if the D had inherited at least a little sturdyness.

knickerhawk Veteran Member • Posts: 5,393

Becksvart wrote:

Thanks for your advice.

The OM-D E-M5 looks like a nice camera with (without having touched either) a build quality at least on par with the NEX 6. It has longer and more teles than the Fuji X mount, and the smaller sensor helps in that regard. Perhaps less metal than in Fuji X lenses however, and no external aperture ring.

Depends on the lens as far as amount of "metal" involved.  Lot and lots of options in the M4/3 line up.  Don't forget that you can also adapt your older Oly lenses that you're using with your OM-2.

I like doing macros outdoors too and crawling on the ground might be disruptive..unless you really like your camera anyway and can forgive its lack of a tiltable LCD.

The LCD of the EM5 is tiltable, both up and down.  You just can't swing it out left/right.  The EM5 is an excellent camera for macro work.

Shall have to go and visit a place (places, most like) that sell both the X-E1 and E-M5 and ask to give them a whirl.

Good luck.

knickerhawk Veteran Member • Posts: 5,393

Becksvart wrote:

Does the OM-D feel a lot less solid in hand? I realize we aren't going to get all metal digitals, but it would be fair if the D had inherited at least a little sturdyness.

EM5 is pretty tiny in size but it feels like a brick.  Very solid.  Weather-sealed.  The one downside is that the buttons are a little mushy and cramped because of its size.

drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,659

Becksvart wrote:

The OMD E-M10 (has a metal body) feels very sturdy, the lens is plastic (kit zoom) which makes it a lot lighter, but camera feels fine. It is easier to hold with lower weight the OM-2S. It is my wife's new camera, I have the E-M1 which is larger and has a grip and thus is heavier than the E-M10.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +7 more
Re: That's a personal question

darklamp wrote:

You have your own idea of what an OM-2 felt like to use. Your perceptions may not match anyone else's. Therein lies the problem.

I don't think anyone would hold an OM-2 and not say it felt like a small all-metal SLR, but sure, some may not like that.

We can't really tell you that you'll prefer one camera to another. It's something you have to find out yourself, IMO.

Sure. See this thread as a precursor to going out and holding a few cameras, like. If no one ever asked for advice, forums would be pretty dull places.

Truth is that this thread should likely not have been made a question thread, at any rate.

{ Re the OM2 ] It's not too small and not too large

That's a personal criteria - you are essentially asking for something that fits your hands. Who else can answer this ?

If A is defined as fitting my hands others may well suggest things of somewhat equal size/shape, si?

and with the Zuiko lenses I've paired it with it's looked and felt awesome in the hand.

Appearance. Again, something very personal. "Felt". Personal.

Felt is a highly respected and universally soft material.

Excellent to carry over the shoulder in a strap

Something you can do with almost any camera. Heck, there are a lot of choices for straps as well.

Except when the lenses attached are pretty large, or if the camera doesn't feel all that sturdy to go a swinging over your shoulder. But yes, the NEX can swing quite a few smaller lenses.

and nice to set the aperture on the lens itself.

I don't know about you, but I regularly mount Nikon and Pentax glass on my NEX with either a simple adapter ( giving crop frame ) or a focal reducer ( giving close enough to full frame ) and use the manual aperture rings all the time.

You could easily do that with any MILC, including your own NEX and your OM lenses. Lots of people do.

And look at the benefits : focus peaking, metering, focus magnification assist and the rest of the digital niceties like RAW, HDR and so on.

Indeed, I have adaptalls, m42s and cheaper russian M39s with their own aperture rings. That's not quite the same as a native lineup of metal lenses (I think?) with somewhat similar aperture rings. Case in point: the Zuiko OM lenses fit the NEXes fairly well, because they are small. In my opinion however, they fit the OM 2 better because the OM 2 is more alike those lenses in material, and more importantly perhaps the OM 2 doesn't need a 3,4cm adapter.

They do seem pretty great : )

darklamp Senior Member • Posts: 3,567

and more importantly perhaps the OM 2 doesn't need a 3,4cm adapter.

That would be because it's already 3.4cm thicker ( ignoring the small grip on end the NEX's ).

It's your perception of this that makes it an issue, not the fact of it.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,509

Becksvart wrote:

Hello.

I've used Sony's since the A100, that's when I got interested in photography for certain.

Upgraded to an A580 that was nice, especially with the Live view focus check and much better higher ISO capabilities. The build quality left quite a lot to be desired however. Upgraded to an A77 after realizing that large aperture lenses make mf af adjust quite critical. Really did like the build quality and feel of the A77, though its size meant I couldn't put it in the pocket of a jacket and as such it didn't get out and about as perhaps much as it could. The used NEX 3 I got for a companion was excellent with small manual lenses, however its shutter sounds like Donald Duck having an asthma fit.

The A77 and NEX 3 were stolen and a NEX 6 replaced them, together with an LA-EA2. Now I can see no obvious flaw with the NEX 6. Good EVF, good LCD, much better shutter sound, nicer build than the NEX 3.

Have you tried a Sony A7?

darklamp wrote:

and more importantly perhaps the OM 2 doesn't need a 3,4cm adapter.

That would be because it's already 3.4cm thicker ( ignoring the small grip on end the NEX's ).

It's your perception of this that makes it an issue, not the fact of it.

It's about how a lens balances on a body. An adapter may help and it may not help. I dare say that for a tiny NEX and small lenses it does not, whilst an LA-EA2 does indeed help with bigger lenses.

You can however argue "It's subjective!" and make most of the internets redundant

I haven't. It's rather dear and has a clunky shutter sound. Still, full frame in a small and probably rather solid body..well, when I go hold others I'll see if I can hold one of these two.

All in all it might be wisest to enjoy the OM-2 for that retro compact SLR feel and not try and replicate it in the digital world. Won't know until I squeeze a couple of cameras however.

Cheers all for your suggestions and advice

pgb
pgb Senior Member • Posts: 2,100

neil holmes wrote:

Becksvart wrote:

Hello.

Have you tried a Sony A7?

The A7 is about the same size and look, it will also take OM lenses with no crop.

pgb's gear list:pgb's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 +8 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 20,308

Have you used your OM lenses on the NEX-6 yet ?

They should give excellent results.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads