Nikon D5200 - Images look Washed out/overexposed

Started Feb 23, 2014 | Discussions
slyronit Junior Member • Posts: 38
Nikon D5200 - Images look Washed out/overexposed

Hi Team,

I recently got a D5200 with the 18-55 kit lens. I took the camera out today for a spin and took some photos. They can be found here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/slyronit/sets/72157641411085645/

I used bracketing -0.7, 0, +0.7 for all photos. At home, I reviewed the images. The ones at +0.7 are all unusable. Among the ones, the images I most liked are the -0.7 ones (The ones in the link above are mostly -0.7). Even then, most of them looked colourless and washed out. Example these images

http://www.flickr.com/photos/slyronit/12723517383/in/set-72157641411085645

http://www.flickr.com/photos/slyronit/12723719295/in/set-72157641411085645

It looks like the images I have from 15 years ago from a cheap Yashika film camera. I used Picture control as "Vivid" with a Saturation of +1. You would think that would help the images, but it doesn't seem to have helped.

I tried both Aperture Priority and Auto without flash. All images were shot in RAW and then processed in DXO Pro 9 (The images looked worse before they went through DXO, I bumped up the vibrancy a little).

Any tips and suggestions would be welcome.

Nikon D5200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
vagtanklan Senior Member • Posts: 1,449
Re: Nikon D5200 - Images look Washed out/overexposed

slyronit wrote:

Hi Team,

I recently got a D5200 with the 18-55 kit lens. I took the camera out today for a spin and took some photos. They can be found here

I used bracketing -0.7, 0, +0.7 for all photos. At home, I reviewed the images. The ones at +0.7 are all unusable. Among the ones, the images I most liked are the -0.7 ones (The ones in the link above are mostly -0.7). Even then, most of them looked colourless and washed out. Example these images

It looks like the images I have from 15 years ago from a cheap Yashika film camera. I used Picture control as "Vivid" with a Saturation of +1. You would think that would help the images, but it doesn't seem to have helped.

I tried both Aperture Priority and Auto without flash. All images were shot in RAW and then processed in DXO Pro 9 (The images looked worse before they went through DXO, I bumped up the vibrancy a little).

Could the culprit be: High ISO?

The first one is a 1/4000s shot with ISO 2000 - completely unnecessary, and a text book example on how to diminish dynamic range.

-- hide signature --
 vagtanklan's gear list:vagtanklan's gear list
Nikon D40 Sony Alpha a7 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Sony FE 28mm F2 +5 more
Sonyshine
Sonyshine Veteran Member • Posts: 8,878

Its easy - you have the aperture far too wide open. The max shutter speed is 4000 and you are shooting at f/6.3. You are letting in too much light. Your ISO is way too high also.

You need to stop down the aperture then the camera will cope, otherwise it certainly will over-expose - it can't do anything else!

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Apple Aperture Apple iPhone SE
OP slyronit Junior Member • Posts: 38

Thanks. I used auto for the first few images and then switched to aperture priority.

You guys are right. What should the Aperture be for such a landscape shot?

I will also switch to manual ISO. I have seen that this camera favours higher ISOs, even in daylight.

Esayjay
Esayjay Forum Member • Posts: 71

slyronit wrote:

Hi Team,

first of all go easy on the ISO when shooting outside in brght light.i noticed in a few pictures u had your iso bumped up to 1000.secondly leave the bracketing to auto unless you want multiple shots for HDR processing.and lastly all the preset colors like vivid standard etc does not apply to the picture when u shoot it in raw format.u take the picture to the light room and do some post processing on it.

if you want the preset color settings and he white balance to apply to the picture shoot in fine quality JPEG

lastly at day time,set the apperture depending on the type of scene that yu are shooting like do you want a close up or a portrait or a lnadscape shot

-- hide signature --

Personality begins where comparison ends.

Esayjay's gear list:Esayjay's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 +2 more
mosswings Veteran Member • Posts: 8,580

slyronit wrote:

Thanks. I used auto for the first few images and then switched to aperture priority.

You guys are right. What should the Aperture be for such a landscape shot?

I will also switch to manual ISO. I have seen that this camera favours higher ISOs, even in daylight.

Probably f5.6-f11. A good place to start is f8. Above that, you'll gain depth of field but may start resolving lens imperfections with the D5200's high resolution, and it will become difficult to get sharp hand held shots without kicking up the ISO.

These shots should be easily doable at ISO 100-400 and a good high shutter speed, 1/250 or above.

The D5200 has a very sophisticated auto-ISO capability. You can set a maximum ISO, as well as a 1/focal length dependency for shutter speed. While I think it's always better to control ISO yourself, the D5200 can make it a bit harder since it doesn't have 2 control dials and you have to configure the Fn button to reassign the 1 control dial it has to switching ISO.  Otherwise, you're menu diving.  Therefore, it's a good idea to learn how to use auto-ISO and set it the way you want it; it can save a lot of chimping if used properly.

It's understandable that the camera favors higher ISOs...there's a lot of dynamic range, and with a slower lens and the need to keep shutter speed high for minimizing camera shake or stopping motion, ISO is the only thing left to tweak.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus 1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more

Thanks guys, I learnt something today. I just noticed that the camera is doing what it can to keep shutter speed at 1/4000. Weird. I will tweak around Auto ISO and try to set it to use a slower shutter speed with lower ISO.

Thanks again, everyone.

I found out what the problem was. It was me, not the camera. I had "ISO Sensitivity" set to 1600, even though ISO control was Auto. I discovered that the camera won't go below 1600 ISO this ways most of the time. I thought this setting would be ignored if control was set to Auto. Guess I was wrong.

I changed this to 100 and now its all good.

mosswings Veteran Member • Posts: 8,580

slyronit wrote:

I found out what the problem was. It was me, not the camera. I had "ISO Sensitivity" set to 1600, even though ISO control was Auto. I discovered that the camera won't go below 1600 ISO this ways most of the time. I thought this setting would be ignored if control was set to Auto. Guess I was wrong.

I changed this to 100 and now its all good.

Bingo!  Auto-ISO is sophisticated, but sometimes inscrutable.  However, it does allow you to set lower limits above base ISO and manually override the program's selection of a lower ISO if needed. Just putting all of that controllability together requires reading between the lines of the manual a bit.

Enjoy...

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus 1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads