Turn off SR at high shutter speeds?

Started Feb 22, 2014 | Questions
Bernie3 Forum Member • Posts: 73
Turn off SR at high shutter speeds?

When shooting hand held at high shutter speeds like 1/4000, 1/8000 is there any advantage in turning off SR or better to keep SR on? Using K-5IIs.

thanks, Bernie

Bernie3's gear list:Bernie3's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
D TONG Senior Member • Posts: 2,559
Re: Turn off SR at high shutter speeds?

When shooting hand held at high shutter speeds like 1/4000, 1/8000 is there any advantage in turning off SR or better to keep SR on? Using K-5IIs.

thanks, Bernie

My answer is yes. I turn that off faster than 1/500

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/223052-abstract-bif-images-300mm.html--

All my bif images were taken with no sr

Daniel, Toronto

miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 6,481

D TONG wrote:

thanks, Bernie

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/223052-abstract-bif-images-300mm.html--

Daniel, Toronto

What!? A PF link that works!? Thanks DPR!

Well almost - remove the trailing "--"

As for SR, I haven't seen any difference myself at high speeds. But if i forget to turn it on again.... And mount something like the 77 for candid portraits in low light: Big diff! In other words, i just leave it on all the time.

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +8 more
sleepwalker400 Senior Member • Posts: 1,849

@ that speed it is too fast to matter

sleepwalker400's gear list:sleepwalker400's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Pentax K-30 Pentax K10D Pentax *ist DL
rogerstpierre Veteran Member • Posts: 3,981

When in doubt, what effort does it take to turn it off? I never use SR unless I specifically need it.

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Samsung TL500 Pentax Optio 33WR Pentax K-01 Pentax K10D +18 more
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,148

miles green wrote:

What!? A PF link that works!? Thanks DPR!

They turned off their link filters a while back:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/

http://fujirumors.com

etc

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,148

D TONG wrote:

thanks, Bernie

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/223052-abstract-bif-images-300mm.html

Daniel, Toronto

Was it any better/worse with SR On?  Or do you turn it off just because? (serious question)

My guess is over such a short shutter speed it should make little difference, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
James O'Neill Veteran Member • Posts: 4,631

rogerstpierre wrote:

When in doubt, what effort does it take to turn it off? I never use SR unless I specifically need it.

What benefit do you think you are getting by turning it off ?

In theory if the camera isn't moving the SR doesn't move the sensor. So there is no harm to it being on for a long exposure on tripod.

If the exposure is very brief now far the SR mechanism moves the sensor makes not difference.

If you turn SR off the risk is that you find you needed it after the shot is taken.

James O'Neill's gear list:James O'Neill's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +2 more
Russell Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 12,612
AF speed might increase, if not bound by the lens' AF speed to begin with.

It was posted a long time ago that turning off auto setting features, camera features, and minimizing the number of AF points helped with AF speed. I don't know if this is still true, but at the time people thought that it did increase AF speed in some lenses.

Thank you
Russell

Joseph Tainter Forum Pro • Posts: 10,266

Bernie3 wrote:

thanks, Bernie

When Pentax first came out with SR, it was recommended to turn it off at higher shutter speeds. I don't recall who posted that, but perhaps it was John C. Pentax. When I had the K20D, with a dedicated SR button, I did turn it off. Now that the SR feature is buried in menus, I just leave it on.

Joe

Jim King
Jim King Veteran Member • Posts: 8,350
Thanks!

I wasn't aware that the link filters are no longer active until I read your post.  Good move on DPR's part - the filtering was not really effective as it was relatively easy to work around it and it seemed somewhat childish...

-- hide signature --

Jim King - Retired Colormonger - Suburban Detroit, Michigan, USA; GMT -5h (EST)
Pentaxian for over 50 years.
There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.
- John Ruskin
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
- Sir Winston Churchill
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
- Albert Einstein

Jim King's gear list:Jim King's gear list
Pentax K-3 Leica M10 Pentax MX-1 Fujifilm X30 Sony RX100 V +116 more
Petroglyph
Petroglyph Veteran Member • Posts: 6,054

With the K5 series cameras I was careful to turn SR off when shooting from a tripod (high shutter speed never seemed to matter in the first place).  A couple of times I forgot to turn SR off and didn't notice I had left it on until looking at exif later.  The SR didn't seem detrimental to the shots even on the tripod so I just left it set to on from there forward.  I'm not sure with the K-3 so I'll try some test with the SR on and off at high shutter and from a tripod also working from the focus peaking while I still have the Sigma 35.  Should be an interesting test.

Cheers.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Rokinon 135mm F2.0 Samyang 20mm F1.8
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 38,451

D TONG wrote:

thanks, Bernie

Daniel, Toronto

When hand holding a 1050mm equiv lens 1/500th sec is far too slow and absolutely requires SR... at 1/1250th sec it'd probably be fine with the SR off unless you're not a very stable person. I usually just leave it on right up to 1/8000th even if it does nothing for me.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 38,451

James O'Neill wrote:

rogerstpierre wrote:

What benefit do you think you are getting by turning it off ?

In theory if the camera isn't moving the SR doesn't move the sensor. So there is no harm to it being on for a long exposure on tripod.

If the exposure is very brief now far the SR mechanism moves the sensor makes not difference.

If you turn SR off the risk is that you find you needed it after the shot is taken.

+1 accept on the long exposure there is the chance for drift in the gyros making it correct when there is nothing to correct

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads