D800 for Sexy Haute Couture ELLE Magazine Shoot

Started Feb 21, 2014 | Discussions
Devendra
Devendra Veteran Member • Posts: 3,584
Re: GREAT fashion photography!

Ernie Misner wrote:

Amazing work!.... most encouraging and inviting! Do you have any words of wisdom when it comes to using the 24-120? (I have one too....:) Thanks so much.

pick it up and shoot.

f4 is fine, but feel free to use at f8. zoom in for dof while distancing yourself from the subject.

here is a processed image @70mm - full, then crop@100%

imagination will be the key

Devendra's gear list:Devendra's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Nikon D800E Nikon D200 Nikon 1 J1
Bing Chow Senior Member • Posts: 1,729

Devendra wrote:

Ernie Misner wrote:

Amazing work!.... most encouraging and inviting! Do you have any words of wisdom when it comes to using the 24-120? (I have one too....:) Thanks so much.

pick it up and shoot.

f4 is fine, but feel free to use at f8. zoom in for dof while distancing yourself from the subject.

imagination will be the key

I do like your processing.

ragspix Senior Member • Posts: 1,030
Re: Well done Sexy Haute Couture

Nice work

Rags

Benjamin Kanarek
OP Benjamin Kanarek Senior Member • Posts: 2,931
Re: Well done Sexy Haute Couture
 Benjamin Kanarek's gear list:Benjamin Kanarek's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D810 +22 more
Rich Rosen Senior Member • Posts: 2,438
Re: D800 for Sexy Haute Couture ELLE Magazine Shoot

Am I assuming that this shoot was the same one, you told us about a month ago in another thread? I can certainly see your excitement, or satisfaction with the work you produced with the D800 and the oft maligned 24-120. As an owner of the lens, I have been happy with what I can do with it. But what you've done with it throws a whole new light on the lens's ability. Thanks for sharing with us.

Rich Rosen's gear list:Rich Rosen's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D1X Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +23 more
Benjamin Kanarek

Rich Rosen wrote:

Am I assuming that this shoot was the same one, you told us about a month ago in another thread? I can certainly see your excitement, or satisfaction with the work you produced with the D800 and the oft maligned 24-120. As an owner of the lens, I have been happy with what I can do with it. But what you've done with it throws a whole new light on the lens's ability. Thanks for sharing with us.

Actually several shoots. Another ELLE next month as well as a major French publication with an actress you are all familiar with...

A very underrated lens indeed.

wireless
wireless Contributing Member • Posts: 508

Devendra wrote:

pick it up and shoot.

Great shot.  I love the post on this.  Unusual and different.  Care to cue us in on the technique?  It looks like more than pushing sliders.  

-David

wireless's gear list:wireless's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Benjamin Kanarek

wireless wrote:

Devendra wrote:

pick it up and shoot.

Great shot. I love the post on this. Unusual and different. Care to cue us in on the technique? It looks like more than pushing sliders.

-David

Thanks David!

Benjamin Kanarek
DWM Forum Member • Posts: 89

Great to see such high quality work on the forum.  Thanks for posting.

DWM's gear list:DWM's gear list
Sony RX100 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Nikon D800E Panasonic G85
KnightPhoto2
KnightPhoto2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,980

DWM wrote:

Great to see such high quality work on the forum. Thanks for posting.

Ditto!

KnightPhoto2's gear list:KnightPhoto2's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Tokina 14-20mm F2 Pro +20 more
ne beginner Senior Member • Posts: 2,149
On a gear site, this is an excellent example of ...

... What a skilled professional can do with his tools, rather than a testimonial to a particular piece of gear.  Like watching one of those celebrity chefs on TV: you can buy all the gear, but that's no guarantee you will suddenly become gourmet chef.  The disclaimer "your results may vary" comes to mind.

Comments to the OP's post on this topic on FM Forum:

Link:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1275705

Some of the comments regarding the lens used:

"Your in a studio
You control the light
You dont need f2.8 or f1.4
Even a 18-55 kit lens has been proven to be sharp as a "pro glass" stopped down"

"Just need to ask but why the 24-120?"
"He's in a studio with lights makes no difference stopped down to f8-11.
Its a modern lens with nano coating"

"B I N G O !"

ne beginner's gear list:ne beginner's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
Benjamin Kanarek

DWM wrote:

Great to see such high quality work on the forum. Thanks for posting.

ThankYou

Devendra
Devendra Veteran Member • Posts: 3,584
thanks

wireless wrote:

Devendra wrote:

pick it up and shoot.

Great shot. I love the post on this. Unusual and different. Care to cue us in on the technique? It looks like more than pushing sliders.

-David

thanks. while i did play with nik color efex for skin softening and nik sharperner selectively for full image, interestingly the tones were easily attainable (and aptly applicable) for this image using Topaz adjust->toned collection->colored selenium. Somehow the mood in this image comes right out with that color, even though the original oob jpg image is also very nice and looks more like this

you can thank the overcast sky for awesome diffused light and dramatic clouds

here is more if you like the series:

Devendra's gear list:Devendra's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Nikon D800E Nikon D200 Nikon 1 J1
fishy wishy
fishy wishy Veteran Member • Posts: 7,647

Rich Rosen wrote:

Why do people keep going on about the 24-120? OP does not emphasise it. It's not even in the thread title. It's the D800 in the thread title. If OP would set up the shots for me, I could shoot these with the Canon 35-135 over his shoulder

It's no challenge to any zoom's capabilities to shoot it at f8 with flash!

This thread is just a bit of entertainment, in no particular way does it demonstrate the potential of camera equipment over any other. It would be more to the point to specify the lighting.

ne beginner Senior Member • Posts: 2,149
Because the OP does ...

fishywisht wrote:

Rich Rosen wrote:

Why do people keep going on about the 24-120? OP does not emphasise it. It's not even in the thread title. It's the D800 in the thread title. If OP would set up the shots for me, I could shoot these with the Canon 35-135 over his shoulder

This thread is just a bit of entertainment, in no particular way does it demonstrate the potential of camera equipment over any other. It would be more to the point to specify the lighting.

... Look at the post above yours.  While he does mention the D800 in the title, the OP comments more on the lens than anything else about this shoot, in numerous replays to posts.

Not saying this is the case, but it's almost as if he is a Nikon spokesperson hired to make some positive noise on this lens.

ne beginner's gear list:ne beginner's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
lock Veteran Member • Posts: 6,202
The lens itself is noisy enough.

And to be hounest, mine isn't very spectacular. For the price we pay for it, the variation in quality is quite remarkable.

Lock

Benjamin Kanarek
Re: Because the OP does ...

ne beginner wrote:

fishywisht wrote:

Rich Rosen wrote:

... Look at the post above yours. While he does mention the D800 in the title, the OP comments more on the lens than anything else about this shoot, in numerous replays to posts.

Not saying this is the case, but it's almost as if he is a Nikon spokesperson hired to make some positive noise on this lens.

Are you kidding??? Nikon doesn't need me really. They have a huge roster of Pro Fashion Photographers around the world who use the D800 and swear by it. I got the 24-120 because I wanted a stabilised lens in this range and this is all that was available. I was pleasantly surprised by the results.

The End

Benjamin Kanarek
Re: Because the OP does ...
Hibiki Rush Regular Member • Posts: 343
Distortion

Great results, of course at the aperture sharpness and such is not an issue but don't you find the distortion of this lens to be quite noticeable? Especially at 24 and >100. I know it is correctable but I have found that even with the correction with human subjects sometimes the correction makes the subject look a bit off...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads