50~230mm any good?

Started Feb 20, 2014 | Questions
slimandy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,157
50~230mm any good?

I'm thinking of getting a X-T1 with 18~55 soon, then would probably get the 55~200.

I have just been offerred a X-E1 with 18~55 for £689 and a FREE 50~230. That's a good idea isn't it? I'd still buy a X-T1 body, then have the X-E1 as a back-up or a second body. So basically I'd get two bodies insead of one, but have the 50~230 instead of the 55~200. Cost is about the same.

I have not used any of this gear so far. I'm waiting until I go to the Photography Show at the NEC at the beginning of March. Any feedback would be welcome.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

 slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D700 Nikon D200
ANSWER:
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP slimandy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,157
Re: 50~230mm any good? What about X-E1 ?

No answers on the lens yet. What about the body?

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

 slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D700 Nikon D200
Beat Traveller Contributing Member • Posts: 744
Re: 50~230mm any good?

I've only found one set of sample images so far: no reviews of the lens. http://macingosh.com/2014/01/07/london-seen-through-the-fujinon-xc-4-5-6-750-230mm/

 Beat Traveller's gear list:Beat Traveller's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D60 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
marvin t martian Forum Member • Posts: 58
Re: 50~230mm any good?

This lens doesn't seem to be very popular as there's very little information available anywhere about it. There's one other blog post with sample images on an Italian site, a few sample images on the Fuji X forum, and a very small handful on Flickr, but that's about it.

Lack of interest probably explains why Fuji is selling it for $300 CAD at the moment.

Luego
Luego Senior Member • Posts: 1,182
Re: 50~230mm any good?

Mike Mander's blog provides sample images of both lenses and he preferred the XC 50-230mm.

http://mikemander.blogspot.ca/

Hope this helps with your decision.

Cheers,

Luego

 Luego's gear list:Luego's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +1 more
OP slimandy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,157
Re: 50~230mm any good?

marvin t martian wrote:

This lens doesn't seem to be very popular as there's very little information available anywhere about it. There's one other blog post with sample images on an Italian site, a few sample images on the Fuji X forum, and a very small handful on Flickr, but that's about it.

Lack of interest probably explains why Fuji is selling it for $300 CAD at the moment.

This is true, yet what little I have found seems to be very favourable. Maybe the plastic construction puts people off.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

 slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D700 Nikon D200
OP slimandy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,157
Re: 50~230mm any good?

Luego wrote:

Mike Mander's blog provides sample images of both lenses and he preferred the XC 50-230mm.

http://mikemander.blogspot.ca/

Hope this helps with your decision.

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for. Interesting that he prefers it. Some of his caveats do concearn me though, such as the build quality and the focus speed. Food for thought, cheers.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

 slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D700 Nikon D200
Van du Nord Regular Member • Posts: 117
Re: 50~230mm any good?

I received the 50-230 for my X-E2 a month ago and I am very happy. Te images are sharp also in the edges. I prefer the weight, the price and the zoom range of this lens compared to the 55-200. Image  stabilisation and aperture are controlled by the camera, I have no problem with that. It means also less buttons or rings to survey on the lens. Manual focussing is as easy as with other lenses. I am very satisfied!!

 Van du Nord's gear list:Van du Nord's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Daniel Lauring
Daniel Lauring Veteran Member • Posts: 9,342
Re: 50~230mm any good?

slimandy wrote:

I'm thinking of getting a X-T1 with 18~55 soon, then would probably get the 55~200.

I have just been offerred a X-E1 with 18~55 for £689 and a FREE 50~230. That's a good idea isn't it? I'd still buy a X-T1 body, then have the X-E1 as a back-up or a second body. So basically I'd get two bodies insead of one, but have the 50~230 instead of the 55~200. Cost is about the same.

I have not used any of this gear so far. I'm waiting until I go to the Photography Show at the NEC at the beginning of March. Any feedback would be welcome.

The slowness of the 220 vs. the 200 is a big reason the 220 is cheaper as is the construction.  I only have the 200 and the image quality is amazing.

Van du Nord Regular Member • Posts: 117
Re: 50~230mm any good?

Hereby my first picture with the 50-230 on X-E2 without any special setting.

 Van du Nord's gear list:Van du Nord's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Astrophotographer 10 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,008
Re: 50~230mm any good?

http://www.digidirect.com.au/slr_cameras/fujifilm

XE1 + 18-55 is Australian Dollars $699. UK pound is worth approx .53 pounds so that makes it about 375 pounds or less. Add a bit for shipping and not sure about your import taxes if any and it seems a way better deal.

Not sure what the 50-230 is worth by itself but I would stick to XF lenses.

Greg.

 Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +1 more
OP slimandy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,157
Re: 50~230mm any good?

Daniel Lauring wrote:

slimandy wrote:

I'm thinking of getting a X-T1 with 18~55 soon, then would probably get the 55~200.

I have just been offerred a X-E1 with 18~55 for £689 and a FREE 50~230. That's a good idea isn't it? I'd still buy a X-T1 body, then have the X-E1 as a back-up or a second body. So basically I'd get two bodies insead of one, but have the 50~230 instead of the 55~200. Cost is about the same.

I have not used any of this gear so far. I'm waiting until I go to the Photography Show at the NEC at the beginning of March. Any feedback would be welcome.

The slowness of the 220 vs. the 200 is a big reason the 220 is cheaper as is the construction.

Slow as in aperture or focus speed? I can live with the aperture but would want to be able to take pictures of my kids playing football (soccer) so I would need to be able to focus reasonably quickly. The extra reach might be a bonus.

I only have the 200 and the image quality is amazing.

True, and thx for samples, but I think the same is true of the cheaper 50~230 based on other feedback. Other issues will sway my decision such as those mentioned and build quality. I need to decide if it is worth buying the X-E1 and 18~55 to get this lens free. I want the 18~55 anyway and it would be nice to have a second body (when I buy the X-T1, which is a given).

If I decide I'd rather have the 55~200 I'll skip this deal all together and just buy the X-T1 and 18~55 together, then the 55~200. Decisions, decisions!

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

 slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D700 Nikon D200
OP slimandy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,157
Re: 50~230mm any good?

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

http://www.digidirect.com.au/slr_cameras/fujifilm

XE1 + 18-55 is Australian Dollars $699. UK pound is worth approx .53 pounds so that makes it about 375 pounds or less. Add a bit for shipping and not sure about your import taxes if any and it seems a way better deal.

Good point, but VAT and import duties make a big difference, plus I wouldn't want to have to send it all the way back if it went wrong. Maybe that wouldn't be necesary.

It does make me wonder if I'd find it cheaper though.

Not sure what the 50-230 is worth by itself but I would stick to XF lenses.

Any reason? It's all new to me. I have played with some of the lenses and been very impressed. I can borrow a 55~200 soon.

Greg.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

 slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D700 Nikon D200
macingosh New Member • Posts: 3
Re: 50~230mm any good?

Beat Traveller wrote:

I've only found one set of sample images so far: no reviews of the lens. http://macingosh.com/2014/01/07/london-seen-through-the-fujinon-xc-4-5-6-750-230mm/

Thank you for referring to my blog. Personally I don't care about performance charts being developed in some kind of laboratory, I want to see results, that's all. As mentioned in the blogpost, I only wanted to show full-size sample photos because I couldn't find any at the time (except the 3 or 4 on Fuji's own site). All pictures are totally unedited to provide a realistic impression. Lighting isn't always right, but that's what happens when you're shooting quick and dirty and that's what came out of the camera.

I got my XC50-230 for 260 Euros luckily and for that price I just couldn't resist. I didn't exopect too much, but man, I was impressed. Tack sharp images, image stablisation works perfect. Lightweighted on top. Worth every penny.

I am shooting at lowlight very often so I guess I will buy the XF55-200 at mid-term. Just because it is brighter. Apart from that there is no reason to complain about the XC50-230 at my point of view. Maybe I will do a direct comparison of both lenses at the time and put that on my blog as well.

If you want to see some more examples (please note: these are edited and at reduced size) there you go:

http://macingosh.com/2014/02/20/threes-a-crowd/

http://macingosh.com/2014/02/14/priest-in-a-hurry/

http://macingosh.com/2014/02/02/weekly-photo-challenge-object-2/

Best regards from Munich

macingosh

John Rausch
John Rausch Regular Member • Posts: 400
Re: 50~230mm any good?

I rented the 55-200 but was put off by the size and especially the weight. I don't use a telephoto that much and almost exclusively outside where the speed and focus are not much of an issue. So I got a 50-230 from Amazon and had them both for a few days. The 50-230 is much lighter and that is important to me. I could not see a difference in image quality. Pixel peepers might. As a test I took the 50-230 to a basketball game. Gyms are not the best lit places, but with the shutter set at 100 I was more than pleased with the performance. Plastic mount and made in China,  but very solid. The current $200 off the 55-200 might influence a decision. My conclusion, it depends on how important a telephoto is to your photography. Also,  for me outside the 230 versus 200 was a plus. Check out that weight difference.

-- hide signature --

John Rausch

 John Rausch's gear list:John Rausch's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1R II Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +2 more
Daniel Lauring
Daniel Lauring Veteran Member • Posts: 9,342
Re: 50~230mm any good?

slimandy wrote:

Daniel Lauring wrote:

slimandy wrote:

I'm thinking of getting a X-T1 with 18~55 soon, then would probably get the 55~200.

I have just been offerred a X-E1 with 18~55 for £689 and a FREE 50~230. That's a good idea isn't it? I'd still buy a X-T1 body, then have the X-E1 as a back-up or a second body. So basically I'd get two bodies insead of one, but have the 50~230 instead of the 55~200. Cost is about the same.

I have not used any of this gear so far. I'm waiting until I go to the Photography Show at the NEC at the beginning of March. Any feedback would be welcome.

The slowness of the 220 vs. the 200 is a big reason the 220 is cheaper as is the construction.

Aperture.  Which is really important to me for image quality which goes down as ISO goes up.  For photographing birds, you need shutter speed and that bumps the ISO up.  I've experienced similar problems in gymnasiums, photographing my kid's sports.  Those things are notoriously dim.

I suspect the 230 is every bit as fast focusing if it's anything like the 16-50, which is as fast or faster than the 18-55.  The lighter components probably help the motors move the parts faster.

Slow as in aperture or focus speed? I can live with the aperture but would want to be able to take pictures of my kids playing football (soccer) so I would need to be able to focus reasonably quickly. The extra reach might be a bonus.

I only have the 200 and the image quality is amazing.

True, and thx for samples, but I think the same is true of the cheaper 50~230 based on other feedback. Other issues will sway my decision such as those mentioned and build quality. I need to decide if it is worth buying the X-E1 and 18~55 to get this lens free. I want the 18~55 anyway and it would be nice to have a second body (when I buy the X-T1, which is a given).

If I decide I'd rather have the 55~200 I'll skip this deal all together and just buy the X-T1 and 18~55 together, then the 55~200. Decisions, decisions!

The current price on the 55-200 is a steal.  I paid more for mine used!

OP slimandy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,157
Re: 50~230mm any good? Decision made.

I just ordered the X-E1 with 18~55 and I'll get the 50~230 free from Fuji. I'll buy the X-T1 when I go to the Photography Show at the NEC next week.

My reasons.... IQ seems to be pretty much on a par, it's a tad longer and a tad lighter. I'll have to be careful not to bang it, but I'm usually careful anyway. At some point I'll want a faster long lens, but then I don't regard the 55~200 as that fast anyway. I look forward to a good prime or an f2.8 zoom at some point. No rush.

So I will get an X-T1, and X-E1, the 18~55 and 50~230 for about £200 LESS that the X-T1 with 18~55 and 55~200.

Thanks to everyone for their input, especially the links and samples.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

 slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D700 Nikon D200
OP slimandy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,157
Re: 50~230mm any good?

macingosh wrote:

Beat Traveller wrote:

I've only found one set of sample images so far: no reviews of the lens. http://macingosh.com/2014/01/07/london-seen-through-the-fujinon-xc-4-5-6-750-230mm/

Thank you for referring to my blog. Personally I don't care about performance charts being developed in some kind of laboratory, I want to see results, that's all.

I'm exactly the same as you but you'd be suprised how often I get criticised for saying so. How dare I suggest real world use tells me more than lab tests with charts!!

(Stand by for flack)

As mentioned in the blogpost, I only wanted to show full-size sample photos because I couldn't find any at the time (except the 3 or 4 on Fuji's own site). All pictures are totally unedited to provide a realistic impression. Lighting isn't always right, but that's what happens when you're shooting quick and dirty and that's what came out of the camera.

I got my XC50-230 for 260 Euros luckily and for that price I just couldn't resist. I didn't exopect too much, but man, I was impressed. Tack sharp images, image stablisation works perfect. Lightweighted on top. Worth every penny.

I am shooting at lowlight very often so I guess I will buy the XF55-200 at mid-term. Just because it is brighter. Apart from that there is no reason to complain about the XC50-230 at my point of view. Maybe I will do a direct comparison of both lenses at the time and put that on my blog as well.

If you want to see some more examples (please note: these are edited and at reduced size) there you go:

http://macingosh.com/2014/02/20/threes-a-crowd/

http://macingosh.com/2014/02/14/priest-in-a-hurry/

http://macingosh.com/2014/02/02/weekly-photo-challenge-object-2/

Best regards from Munich

macingosh

Thanks for your opinion and the samples.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

 slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D700 Nikon D200
Dorkington Regular Member • Posts: 355
Re: 50~230mm any good?

I don't have any info about the 50-230... I do own the 55-200, and it's surprisingly fantastic.

 Dorkington's gear list:Dorkington's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
macingosh New Member • Posts: 3
Re: 50~230mm any good?

For those still being undecisive: here's one more sample photo I shot today using the X-Pro1 and the XC 50-230. Photo comes in full size (4896 x 3264), full quality (ISO 200), full length (230 mm) and full bloom (f6.7). Unedited, using the X-Pro's black and white with yellow filter mode.

XC 50-230mm, ISO 200, f6.7, 230mm, yellow. macingosh.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads