Tell Me About Your Stupid Mistakes

Started Feb 19, 2014 | Discussions
Rich Rosen Senior Member • Posts: 2,461
Re: Tell Me About Your Stupid Mistakes

Not quite as bad, although I'm sure I've forgotten bigger boners than this: I had just recently read an article and seen a video on the use of the AF-on option on cameras like the D600. So I figured I try it. But whenI got to the basketball court, my camera wouldn't focus. I thought maybe it was the my 70-200 VrI which I had sent in to Nikon a year prior to fix a focusing issue. So I changed lenses. Focusing didn't work on my 24-120 either. Oh-oh, My D600, which escaped the dust and oil issue, has a focusing problem. Pound the head, shake the head, try to manually focus, give up on it, put the camera back in the bag. Then it struck me, I had changed the settings on the camera, but by that time, half the game was over.

Rich Rosen's gear list:Rich Rosen's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D1X Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +23 more
IainD Senior Member • Posts: 1,852

I changed shooting menus to use back button focus for grizzly bears. That worked well but I didn't notice that the default picture quality for my D3s on that menu setting was JPEG basic.

And I used to tell people I never shoot JPEGs!

IainD

mais51
mais51 Senior Member • Posts: 2,480

wasserball wrote:

Rservello wrote:

wasserball wrote:

Shooting in L size instead of M size in D600. It took me 6 hours instead of 3 hours to process 500 photos one evening. The again, why would I buy the D600 and shoot in M instead of L?

Why would you buy a D600 and not shoot in RAW mode is the more appropriate question.

The better question is when was the last time you processed 500 raw photos in one session. And, will the photos look better in facebook if you did.

For facebook I rather use my cell phone

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED +8 more
mais51

Fast action sequence shot and the camera was so slow - it was suppose to do 7 fps, missed all good action shots. Turn out that I've set the camera (D300s) to 14 bits the day before !

Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED +8 more
DANdeMAN
DANdeMAN Senior Member • Posts: 1,001

You guys are killing me. Please continue...

Mine are pretty banal : not changing the non CPU lens in the menu or touching the ev button. That was the worst, I had to do some creative work on those pics.

-- hide signature --

D800E "The Monster" (07-2012)

DANdeMAN's gear list:DANdeMAN's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +10 more
DesertLefty Regular Member • Posts: 353

Photo Pete wrote:

Charged the battery but forgot to take it out of the charger before going out to shoot.

Been there, done that!

wasserball Veteran Member • Posts: 4,132

mais51 wrote:

wasserball wrote:

Rservello wrote:

wasserball wrote:

Shooting in L size instead of M size in D600. It took me 6 hours instead of 3 hours to process 500 photos one evening. The again, why would I buy the D600 and shoot in M instead of L?

Why would you buy a D600 and not shoot in RAW mode is the more appropriate question.

The better question is when was the last time you processed 500 raw photos in one session. And, will the photos look better in facebook if you did.

For facebook I rather use my cell phone

Not when the parents want a poster size picture of Johnny catching a football.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
sshoihet Senior Member • Posts: 2,603

JSB wrote:

Believe it or not, I've been known to make some mistakes in my life. This one is really stupid. Went out shooting today with my D800E. I realized that the focus point was dead center in the frame and I was unable to move the point using the "Multi Selector". I couldn't figure out for the life of me what was wrong. I didn't know if it was the camera mal-functioning or something with my lens or if I selected a wrong menu item. I was resigned to bringing my camera into Nikon for service. After a few hours of worry, it dawned on me. I had previously placed the focus lock slelector into the locked position and forgot to move it back to the unlocked position for today's shoot. Really stupid! I won't make that mistake again. What stupid mistake have you made with your cameras?

Shot at ISO 3200 when I could have shot at about 200.  I though "gee, the shutter speed is pretty fast" and never clued in...i had manually adjust the ISO up, though I spun it back down but I did it on the wrong body.

More than once it's taken me a half dozen images to figure out that I'm in exp. bracketing mode..."too bright...too dark...WAY too bright, what the???" that is something I should catch right away so I have to laugh at myself.

Shot for quite a while before I realized that my ultra wide angle lens was on MF and not AF... to be fair, the dof at f/8 is from about a 2 feet in front of you to infinity and pretty hard to notice what plane is actually in focus

I was shooting video of my buddy wakeboarding, switched back to shooting stills and forgot to up the min shutter speed from 1/125s so they all had a bit of blur to them which really wasn't what I wanted.

I'm sure I have lots more...i try to not make the same mistakes more than once, they're usually the result of me being tired

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +14 more
Murray Bowles
Murray Bowles Senior Member • Posts: 2,120

I've done that. And twice now on my Df I've shot a bunch of photos with non-zero AE compensation (I don't understand people who complain how hard that knob is to unlock!).

clarnibass Senior Member • Posts: 2,044

I've never actually wanted to use the focus point lock switch and didn't even know there was one, or bothered to check what that switch is... until I suddenly couldn't change focus point and didn't know why. I accidnetally moved that switch to the locked position without noticing... at least now I know about it if this happens again... though I still never use it.

I once thought I was in Q mode... so I left my finger pressed on the shutter button... but was actually in CH mode... oops!

Of course the most common... leaving my card in the computer from last download... or battery in the charger 

Lucky Sky Senior Member • Posts: 1,792

Rservello wrote:

Lucky Sky wrote:

Went shooting Sunday with the D800E and was wondering why all pics reviewed in the LCD were so damned dark. Camera was set up in full manual mode @ ISO 100, and I was working like crazy to meter a scene so that the exposure was correct. Either the shutter speed or aperture had to be set to numbers that I knew were just plain wrong.

And then after about 30 shots I came to realize that the EV was previously set to -1.7.

Lightroom 5.3 saved the day with most of the pics.

I think I need an entry level camera.......NOT!!

I thought EV compensation only worked on auto modes...

So did I..........not so however.

-- hide signature --

Lucky Sky
I'd rather be lucky than good

Lucky Sky's gear list:Lucky Sky's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Tamron 15-30mm F2.8
NDaniel Contributing Member • Posts: 733

1. Forget to change ISO setting when previously used ISO 3200, make all of my picture look white

2. Forget to change Exposure compensation : previously +2

and the list may continue on

-- hide signature --

Keep shooting!
http://indonesiaonthestreets.com
www.facebook.com/nisdanielphotography

NDaniel's gear list:NDaniel's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +1 more
tresemes
tresemes Junior Member • Posts: 40

After all this years I keep leaving the lens cap on and freaking out when my VF is dark.

Leave the camera ON inside de bag: check.

Leave the tripod at home on purpose and then need it: check.

I sometimes find myself using aperture priority mode and turning the exposure compensation dial to change the shutter speed.

tresemes's gear list:tresemes's gear list
Nikon D810 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +11 more
Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery
Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery Veteran Member • Posts: 3,735
Multiple forgetfulness :( ... Re: Tell Me About Your Stupid Mistakes

... although I always check everything. My last mistake:

Several unfocused fotos after doing a video (for photography I use AF S and for video manual focus)

-- hide signature --

Regards.

D 503
D 503 Regular Member • Posts: 132

JSB wrote:

Believe it or not, I've been known to make some mistakes in my life. This one is really stupid. Went out shooting today with my D800E. I realized that the focus point was dead center in the frame and I was unable to move the point using the "Multi Selector". I couldn't figure out for the life of me what was wrong. I didn't know if it was the camera mal-functioning or something with my lens or if I selected a wrong menu item. I was resigned to bringing my camera into Nikon for service. After a few hours of worry, it dawned on me. I had previously placed the focus lock slelector into the locked position and forgot to move it back to the unlocked position for today's shoot. Really stupid! I won't make that mistake again. What stupid mistake have you made with your cameras?

I once bought a d5100.

-- hide signature --

Fear is the only darkness

D 503's gear list:D 503's gear list
Olympus E-1 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 +3 more
mais51

Years ago I mean at least 45 years I didn't have a camera so I borrow my uncle's, it was a small Kodak Retina camera shooting B&W film, went out shooting at the local zoo with a few friends I was struggle to remove the first roll of film after I though I have re-winded the film back into the cartridge, loaded the second roll and carried on shooting, having had bad experience with the first roll I took the camera to the photo shop to have it removed and processed - love and behold the film was not properly engaged on the sprockets so I didn't have any photo from that roll to make matter worst the first roll was completely black due to light leak - so after a day of shooting I had a black roll and a white (clear) roll and no photo

Rservello
Rservello Senior Member • Posts: 1,157

Lucky Sky wrote:

Rservello wrote:

Lucky Sky wrote:

Went shooting Sunday with the D800E and was wondering why all pics reviewed in the LCD were so damned dark. Camera was set up in full manual mode @ ISO 100, and I was working like crazy to meter a scene so that the exposure was correct. Either the shutter speed or aperture had to be set to numbers that I knew were just plain wrong.

And then after about 30 shots I came to realize that the EV was previously set to -1.7.

Lightroom 5.3 saved the day with most of the pics.

I think I need an entry level camera.......NOT!!

I thought EV compensation only worked on auto modes...

So did I..........not so however.

Yeah, good to know.

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49019071@N03/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2334596/
* Sensitive Internet User Disclaimer: All opinions are my own and are not meant to offend you or damage your precious beliefs.

Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,985

Trying to have a conversation with Basalite in the Mac forum

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."
--Robert A. Heinlein in "Friday"

Hugo First Contributing Member • Posts: 780

i got one from yesterday:

i took my Df out from the bag and went outside. it was a beautiful, warm, sunny february day -- we don't see a whole lot of them!

turned on the cam, checked out the shutter speed and aperture and pressed the shutter.

not a damn thing happened.

i was confused for a few seconds, and then the shutter fired. i had a nice photo of the tops of the trees across the street to show for my trouble.

the isssue? the modes selector for the shutter is on the right of the viewfinder, under the SS dial (on my other cams, it's on the left, and you have to hold down a lock to move the dial). when shoving the camera in the bag, i'd moved the selector from Cl to self-timer! what a goof!

even though i was by myself, i felt quite foolish.

AndyW17 Contributing Member • Posts: 739

Not my mistake, but a funny/sad story from the film days.

A friend of mine told me this story as they were in the legal department for a large drugstore chain. Back in the day, (for you twenty-somethings) you brought in your film in the cartridge, filled out an envelope for processing and dropped it into a slot or bin to be picked up by Kodak or whoever was going to process the film.

The chain ran a film developing sale, and the response in one store was particularly high and the bins filled up during the day.

Apparently the store staff had decided to empty the overflowing bins, and put all of those envelopes with the undeveloped film into - you guessed it - trash bags, and set them aside.

Of course, those bags got tossed by accident by someone else in the store.  Would not have wanted to be around that store the next week or two….

Sad, but true story.

-- hide signature --

Andy

AndyW17's gear list:AndyW17's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus E-M1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads