GH3 - Now with lower pricing is it worth it/EVF Quality?

Started Feb 19, 2014 | Questions
amtberg Veteran Member • Posts: 6,151
Re: GH3 - Now with lower pricing is it worth it/EVF Quality?

bluelemmy wrote:

MrTaikitso wrote:

If you are using it for video, my advice as someone who has been in consumer electronics since the 70s is not to consider anything that doesn't shoot 4K. Even if you have to spend a lot more.

Checkout the 4K demos from Sony and Panasonic on YouTube (on a good monitor or a 15" Retina MacBook Pro) and after you have removed your tongue from the floor, and then been even more blown away by the quality of even the still frames, you will understand what I mean when I say that 4K adoption is going to be way way faster than 1080P, so you don't want to be viewing 1080P on 4K or even 8K displays this time next year and beyond. (Yes, 8K is coming, and it has to due to the plan for wall sized video displays by Samsung/LG/Microsoft/Sony/Panasonic etc as flexible display tech arrives. Already NKK are recording some TV in 8K!)

For an example of how important this issue of comparative quality is, checkout a STANDARD (or even HD) broadcast on YouTube or on your Sky (UK) or other cable/satellite box and compare to 1080P. "Ooh, how nasty! How could I have spent 20 years watching that??" Exactly.

Well, the second people get used to 4K (this time next year!), then 1080P will appear to them as Standard and some HD does today.

You're recording the future, so be ready.

I'm saving for a GH4 because of this having been very impressed with the handling and quality of my GH2 of a few years ago.

Skip the GH3.

Thank goodness all that counts is the technical quality. For a horrible moment I thought I was enjoying those horrible Larry Sanders , Sopranos, Carnivale boxed sets.

I now don't have to worry whether the comedy us funny, just whether it is 4k.

Sure, it's perfectly enjoyable on your 24" black and white with the aluminum foil on the rabbit ears.  

OP George Paulides Senior Member • Posts: 1,213

MrTaikitso wrote:

If you are using it for video, my advice as someone who has been in consumer electronics since the 70s is not to consider anything that doesn't shoot 4K. Even if you have to spend a lot more.

Checkout the 4K demos from Sony and Panasonic on YouTube (on a good monitor or a 15" Retina MacBook Pro) and after you have removed your tongue from the floor, and then been even more blown away by the quality of even the still frames, you will understand what I mean when I say that 4K adoption is going to be way way faster than 1080P, so you don't want to be viewing 1080P on 4K or even 8K displays this time next year and beyond. (Yes, 8K is coming, and it has to due to the plan for wall sized video displays by Samsung/LG/Microsoft/Sony/Panasonic etc as flexible display tech arrives. Already NKK are recording some TV in 8K!)

For an example of how important this issue of comparative quality is, checkout a STANDARD (or even HD) broadcast on YouTube or on your Sky (UK) or other cable/satellite box and compare to 1080P. "Ooh, how nasty! How could I have spent 20 years watching that??" Exactly.

Well, the second people get used to 4K (this time next year!), then 1080P will appear to them as Standard and some HD does today.

I'm saving for a GH4 because of this having been very impressed with the handling and quality of my GH2 of a few years ago.

Skip the GH3.

Thanks for the 4K pitch BUT I am more interested in stills. I do video but I do not need 4K - it is overkill for me at this time in time.

BTW I have had a background in CE also :).

StevenN Senior Member • Posts: 1,289
EVF is perfect

I had a GH1, then GH2 and now a GH3. The EVF on all three were/is perfect. No distortion, etc. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones, but my GH3 is a joy to use.

The only complaints I have is I wish the video button was on the top of the camera (near the shutter button) and the playback button was on the right side instead of the left. Both of these are minor quibbles, however.

-- hide signature --

StevenN

StevenN's gear list:StevenN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D750 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +8 more

Thanks for all the replies. It all sounds positive. I will locate a model to test.

gregs4163 Regular Member • Posts: 282

You also are going to have to save for new SD cards because 4K is going to require a new $300+ class 3 SD card!

gregs4163's gear list:gregs4163's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +13 more
MrTaikitso
MrTaikitso Contributing Member • Posts: 877

George Paulides wrote:

MrTaikitso wrote:

Skip the GH3.

Thanks for the 4K pitch BUT I am more interested in stills. I do video but I do not need 4K - it is overkill for me at this time in time.

BTW I have had a background in CE also :).

Ah ok. I assumed due to the video pedigree of the GH series (all said, my GH2 stills were superb!) that video would be your focus - no pun intended.

Either way, the GH4 will by the nature of it's sensor have additional resolution so probably better than GH3. Being there have been some remarks about the GH3 VF, may be worth seeing what it's VF is like.

Pity they don't use the Sony one from the A series and RX10.

MrTaikitso's gear list:MrTaikitso's gear list
Panasonic LX100 +1 more
amtberg Veteran Member • Posts: 6,151

gregs4163 wrote:

You also are going to have to save for new SD cards because 4K is going to require a new $300+ class 3 SD card!

64GB cards are already available for about $100 and they'll only get cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I3BQJNA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3GAGRWZRDL55J&coliid=I32GI30ORADTZ8

Dheorl Veteran Member • Posts: 4,119

MrTaikitso wrote:

Skip the GH3.

You sound like you're in consumer electronics desperately trying to sell someone a TV.

Also I've watched 4K content on my new macbook pro and although it is impressive if you get HD which is actually anywhere near approaching HD (which the GH3 is) then the difference isn't THAT great. I wouldn't say the jump in detail if I switch from HD to 4k blows my mind or anything. Maybe if I was on a true 4K 24"+ screen it might be more impressive but if I was viewing on a laptop it definitely wouldn't be worth getting the GH4 for that reason.

darobin1 Regular Member • Posts: 388

It may have been a fluke, but I got my GH3 late last year from Samys

for $689.    At that price, which GH3s are likely to hit in coming months,

it is like a necessary purchase.

darobin1's gear list:darobin1's gear list
Canon PowerShot G6 Minolta DiMAGE A1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +4 more
Mahmoud Mousef Senior Member • Posts: 2,758

George Paulides wrote:

Now that the GH3 is coming down in price to sub-$1000 mark, I am considering one.

For me it's $700 or lower before I bite.

Consider the DMC-G6 also.

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

George Paulides wrote:

Now that the GH3 is coming down in price to sub-$1000 mark, I am considering one.

I doubt you will see the GH3 less than $700 in Australia.

George Paulides wrote:

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

George Paulides wrote:

Probably right, but that doesn't concern me since most cameras I buy are from overseas. There are good local deals sometimes. I've seen them on EOS M, Nikon V1 and Pentax Q, and even taken advantage of some of them. Panasonic doesn't normally get steep discounts locally though. USA is more likely.

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

George Paulides wrote:

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

George Paulides wrote:

Probably right,

USA is more likely.

In the end Pana had a few GH2's to clear and they were going cheaper in the US. Hopefully the same will happen with the GH3.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21702997@N03/

George Paulides wrote:

In the end Pana had a few GH2's to clear and they were going cheaper in the US. Hopefully the same will happen with the GH3.

That would be nice. When things are discounted here, they normally don't last very long. I'm going to keep my eyes open, thanks.

Brooks A Regular Member • Posts: 105

I can't compare the GH3's EVF to the GH2's, but I can compare it to the G5's.

The G5's EVF was much clearer. The EVF on my GH3 is horrible. I've not been able to get it to give a clear image. But I got the GH3 for $698 from Samy's in November, so I'm not complaining because, aside from the EVF, the GH3 is a huge upgrade. I'm loving the video features.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads