Started Feb 19, 2014 | Discussions
yomasa Regular Member • Posts: 394
70d and tamron 150-600mm

Link

Jorge Blanco

yomasa's gear list:yomasa's gear list
Pentax 645D Canon EOS 70D Sony Alpha a7R Nikon 1 J4 Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L
Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Digirame Forum Pro • Posts: 34,143
Re: 70d and tamron 150-600mm

The pictures look very very nice.  With a good copy of the Tamron 150-600mm lens and in the right hands of a good photographer, the pictures should be excellent as we can see (and as I've seen from other people too).

ESfishdoc
ESfishdoc Senior Member • Posts: 1,896

An interesting read for anyone interested in this lens:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/01/tamron-150-600-telezoom-shootout

Richard

ESfishdoc's gear list:ESfishdoc's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +6 more
bill hansen Veteran Member • Posts: 8,834

Having read the many glowing user reviews of the 150-600, I was surprised to see that optically, it's identical to the Canon 100-400 up to 400mm focal length. It would have been very interesting to see how the two lenses compare if a 1.4X TC is attached to the Canon.

Has anyone seen any MTF results from the Canon with 1.4X TC attached? If an extrapolation of the results at 400 applies, and if my thinking is correct, the Tamron would be have far more resolution.

The Canon would (might possibly....) be 835-(835X0.4)=835-334=501   Even worse than the MTF curve of the Tamron 150-600 at 600mm. Certainly better than no picture at all, but - ehhhh......

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

That last paragraph is pretty confusing. It might have been better to write:

"The Canon might possibly be  worse than the MTF curve of the Tamron 150-600 at 600mm - if the following arithmetic applies - and assuming that the Canon 1.4X TC takes away about 40% of resolution, due to its magnification:

835-(835X0.4)=835-334=501    "

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 22,674

bill hansen wrote:

Having read the many glowing user reviews of the 150-600, I was surprised to see that optically, it's identical to the Canon 100-400 up to 400mm focal length. It would have been very interesting to see how the two lenses compare if a 1.4X TC is attached to the Canon.

I've tried my 100-400 with a Canon 1.4x, it's not very impressive.  Aside from losing AF, IQ takes a hit.  It would be a very unfair comparison if you're talking about doing a comparison to the Tamron w/o a converter.

Mark

I think we're saying the same thing. To bring the 100-400 up to (somewhere near) the 600mm max range of the Tamron, you'd have to add at least the 1.4X TC. That takes the 100-400mm to 560mm, almost to the max 600mm of the tamron. The question might be - okay, how would the two compare at those max focal lengths? Without a series of test images it's impossible to tell for sure - so I proposed comparing effective MTF numbers. If my thinking is correct, the Tamron would do significantly better.

There would be no point at all, IMO, in putting a TC on the Tamron, to bring its focal length out to 600X1.4=840mm, and then comparing that IQ to the Canon at 560mm.

If you think about other considerations, the Tamron still is the less expensive lens. The Canon, with the TC, probably weighs the same as the Tammy (without the TC it's 1 lb less), and has just about the same length from lens mount to filter adapter. The Tamron, with its huge 95mm objective lens, would have the greater light gathering ability, even at the same apertures.

I've used the Canon with a Kenko 1.4TC which allowed all the necessary communications between lens and camera body, including autofocus. In good light it worked very well. In poor light I had to focus manually. As you know, the Canon 1.4 TC can also communicate with the camera body if you tape the pins. Just tape the pins between lens and adapter, not between adapter and camera as I did once, and very nearly lost a piece of tape into the mirror box !.  

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 22,674

bill hansen wrote:

I think we're saying the same thing. To bring the 100-400 up to (somewhere near) the 600mm max range of the Tamron, you'd have to add at least the 1.4X TC. That takes the 100-400mm to 560mm, almost to the max 600mm of the tamron. The question might be - okay, how would the two compare at those max focal lengths? Without a series of test images it's impossible to tell for sure - so I proposed comparing effective MTF numbers. If my thinking is correct, the Tamron would do significantly better.

I'd bet on it.  The Tamron benefits from not having to use a converter, which always reduces IQ.  There really isn't much point in doing such a comparison.

There would be no point at all, IMO, in putting a TC on the Tamron, to bring its focal length out to 600X1.4=840mm, and then comparing that IQ to the Canon at 560mm.

If you think about other considerations, the Tamron still is the less expensive lens. The Canon, with the TC, probably weighs the same as the Tammy (without the TC it's 1 lb less), and has just about the same length from lens mount to filter adapter. The Tamron, with its huge 95mm objective lens, would have the greater light gathering ability, even at the same apertures.

I've used the Canon with a Kenko 1.4TC which allowed all the necessary communications between lens and camera body, including autofocus. In good light it worked very well. In poor light I had to focus manually. As you know, the Canon 1.4 TC can also communicate with the camera body if you tape the pins. Just tape the pins between lens and adapter, not between adapter and camera as I did once, and very nearly lost a piece of tape into the mirror box !.

I haven't tried it, but after seeing the IQ loss with the converter I had no interest in any further attempts.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads