Safe to buy Dp3M on Ebay from Japan?

Started Feb 18, 2014 | Discussions
pat scales Contributing Member • Posts: 577
Safe to buy Dp3M on Ebay from Japan?

Prices are lower than US. Is there any reason not to do this?

-- hide signature --
 pat scales's gear list:pat scales's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony Alpha a7 Sony a6000
Sigma DP3 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
khunpapa
khunpapa Senior Member • Posts: 1,878
Re: Safe to buy Dp3M on Ebay from Japan?

Warranty. 
If there's any hardware problem occured, you have to send it back to Japan for repairing.
Most Japanese sellers are reliable and responsible.

-- hide signature --

Flashes of my Memory.

khunpapa's gear list:khunpapa's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-M1 +23 more
manaskarekar Regular Member • Posts: 201

Good question, since that is the only good price to be had for the US market right now.

Has anyone bought from these 'Ships from Japan' sellers? If so, how has your experience been?

manaskarekar's gear list:manaskarekar's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-M1 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
SandyF Forum Pro • Posts: 14,941

I haven't ... but I'd check with Sigma US/NY about warranty. Give them a call and find out warranty policy first-hand.

Best regards, Sandy
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current)

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP1 Merrill +7 more
jennyrae Senior Member • Posts: 2,690

I order items from Japan, my experience is they are very reliable and not thieves.

LUIS A GUEVARA
LUIS A GUEVARA Regular Member • Posts: 412

It is safe if you order on eBay that has Buyer's Protection plans. It is more economic and generally fast . Prices are at least 30% lower than american prices .

I purchased my SD1 from Japan . Negative sides of doing this? Yes . Generally Printed User Manual is in Japanese . Since  camera also comes set for Japanese language , without an English version manual is hard to switch menus to english. Of course informed Sigma devotees know how to get an english manual in PDF and an English version of Photo Pro and this issue becomes a non issue.

SigmaTog
SigmaTog Contributing Member • Posts: 861

pat scales wrote:

Not unless the plane ditches

MrPete Regular Member • Posts: 150

I purchased a DP3M from Japan through Amazon last month. No problems at all. English manual easy to download at Sigma's website. My camera came preset to English. I know if warranty svc needed, it will have to go back to Japan.

Finally, postal regulations prohibit shipping camera batteries outside of the camera body. So DP3M came with only one battery. Picked up a third party battery from eBay - very low cost.

I would purchase this way again. I realize I'm taking a chance with the warranty, but I've purchased lots of cameras in my life and never needed warranty service. Price savings worth the risk to me.

kkx Regular Member • Posts: 314

I also brought mine from a Japan seller via ebay.

No problem and I know that warranty could be an issue, just have to factor in that risk when you consider the price. I am happy to take the risk, but you have to answer that question for yourself.

kkx's gear list:kkx's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark III Pentax K-5 Canon EOS 550D +7 more
justascot Regular Member • Posts: 405

You can also get clifton cameras in the uk to deliver to the us, their current price is more than reasonable not sure how it compares to the japanese exchange rate, but you have to phone them rather than do it online however you will be sure to get an english manual

justascot's gear list:justascot's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma SD14 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +2 more
OP pat scales Contributing Member • Posts: 577
Thanks for all your help!

Will check UK, but feel safe now ordering from Japan. I assume batteries are the same as DP2M.

-- hide signature --
Dogonit Regular Member • Posts: 170

When you can buy a SquareTrade extended warranty for a gray market camera nowadays there's no reason not to do it. It would cover drops and spills too.

Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 5,811

Great point. Square Trade already linked in with eBay.

Dogonit wrote:

When you can buy a SquareTrade extended warranty for a gray market camera nowadays there's no reason not to do it. It would cover drops and spills too.

Do you or anyone else have any experience making claims with SquareTrade? I have read about some feedback in the past and it has not been good.

Thank you!

Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-M1 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
deckhanddavy Forum Member • Posts: 56

pat scales wrote:

Thank you so much for this thread. I was looking at the amazing prices on ebay just now. I was hesitating about buying one because I didin't know if it came with a US charger and had the option for English menus. Knowing about the Square Trade program/warranty on Ebay makes me even more at easy about the purchase. Alright, enough talk. I'm off to ebay to buy a $580 DP3 Merrill!!!

deckhanddavy's gear list:deckhanddavy's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sigma DP2s Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Ricoh GR Digital +1 more

Does anyone know if there is any duty to be paid on these when they ship to the US from Japan?

Thanks.

I checked and there is no duty on cameras.

-- hide signature --

Thank you very much. Might pick up a dp3m if prices drop any more.

Here's another question for those that have purchased them and received them. Which shipping company was your camera shipped through?

Just ordered the last one with free shipping from Fedex with tracking.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads