For those who thought the Df flopped...

Started Feb 18, 2014 | Discussions
dread_tai Regular Member • Posts: 364
Re: Oh-oh

Iliah Borg wrote:

they are exhibiting the intelligence of someone with a brain the size of a pea.

Classy

it is what it is. "class" has nothing to do with an assessment.

but u continue to "try" over there.......and yes, u still are failing.....errrr, ummmm, i mean, not succeeding.

dread_tai's gear list:dread_tai's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Iliah Borg Forum Pro • Posts: 24,743

dread_tai wrote:

Iliah Borg wrote:

Classy

it is what it is.

Exactly. For everybody to see, you made an attempt to insult a man. But not from everybody insults are taken You probably do not realize it and will be trying again and again.

-- hide signature --
Shotcents
Shotcents Veteran Member • Posts: 4,472
Re: For those who thought the Df flopped...

dread_tai wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

dread_tai wrote:

ravduc wrote:

I have done this already but you don't seem to understand. By endorsing other people's comments you are in fact agreeing with them. You need to cool down a bit. Go take a walk.

no, actually i'm cool as a cucumber, as they say. however, when i'm mentioned, referenced, or quoted, i'll likely reply. and if misquoted, most assuredly.

u were corrected, and my point made. when u attempt to mock my ONLINE writing style, then u're grasping at straws........which i don't mind, just reinforces my point.

as i said before, enjoy your camera, i enjoy all of mine and associated gear. but u won't find me telling someone they don't own something b/c they can't afford, nor will u find me questioning anyone's "intelligence" or lack thereof based on their ownership or not.

Hilarious.

So a guy comes in and points out that Nikon says the Df is selling well.

And here come the bashers...

"Nikon is lying." and "The Df is a failure." and "Df has bad AF"

And here we go again. Then someone like you, who also doesn't own the Df, calls someone you don't know childish and immature. You're really only looking for a fight. You don't own the gear discussed and have not spent a reasonable amount of time with it, if ANY.

I can't understand why you think YOU are mature in doing that. Why exactly are you even in this thread? I'm not in the D7100 threads or the D610 threads or ANY threads where I have nothing to contribute through real experience and knowledge.

So this POSITIVE thread gets ambushed and you defend the ambush and then cry when someone takes you to the mat for it?

Yeah, that's very mature. You guys can sing all day about having money to buy this and that. I doubt it. People with money don't worry that much about value. They get what they want. They indulge without excuses and adding up features. There is some class warfare going on with the Df. It's a luxury product and a very good one. And that offends those who watch their wallets most of all.

Sour grapes, angry grapes, frustrated grapes...the anger is palpable and the reason is not the Df. These are the same types who sneer at a Porsche Boxter or a Rolex. Their are much better values in cars and watches to be sure.

I hate expensive watches (I own one, but I did not buy it!). But I'm not in the Rolex forums crying about my Cassio that does so much more than tell time.

That's why you get labeled. But the Df owners didn't start this. We're just enjoying the camera and posting about it. If you think it's okay to ambush every Df thread with repetitive negative nonsense, then enjoy. But be prepared for the kickback.

Robert

lil one......u don't want a row with me, trust.

the comments WERE childish and immature, and have nothing to do with the merits (or lack thereof) with the camera. i criticised the COMMENTS, and not the camera. that's where your pea-sized brain fails u. i don't have the camera, therefore don't comment on the merits of the camera. but i'm fully within my rights as a forum member to comment on what others say in a forum. IF i was looking for a "fight", i would have named u a LONG time ago.......u are a "loon", but u are not MY loon, but your family's and close associates'. i typically laugh at your posts, but RARELY actually comment on them. u, sir, are a PRIME example of immaturity on this site, and sans getting into the history of your "multiple personalities" here (and elsewhere), i tend to leave trolls alone. for every post of mine on this site, u have likeky a hundred.

"I" don't get labeled as ANYTHING, try as u might. if i were of the same maturity level as u, i'd likely begin this with "i know what i am, but what are u?" and proceed to check u at every instance. but i'm not, and so i won't.

i have an MD, and use photography as a creative outlet. i'm confident i likely "have a larger wallet et al" than u. unlike u, i have NO NEED to continually belabour whatever it is i do for a living. oddly enough, i doubt i could ever in any life, foresee myself bragging about being a "jewelry photographer", but hey, we all have to have our aspirations, right? but money, as i have been stating all along, is not the limiting factor for me, and likely not the case for many others. it has been U, who has criticised others and a supposed inability to afford this camera as their prime reason for not buying it.

as i said to the other gentleman, when u can post examples of where i have ever slighted your beloved trinket, please do share.........copy and paste to your lil heart's delight. but u can't, so u won't. the "anger" u call palpable is only trumped by the sheer annoyance and frustration at witnessing post after post after post, thread after thread after thread created by u, or some assumed monikor.

i tend not to make things personal on forums, certainly not gear-forums. so i'll let this be my last post directed towards u and NOT discussing gear. i would urge the same courtesy from u........i'm done.

And, ladies and gentlemen, this fellow is EXPOSED. It wasn't hard at all.

Your welcome!

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon D5300 Nikon Df +11 more

Iliah Borg wrote:

dread_tai wrote:

Iliah Borg wrote:

Classy

it is what it is.

Exactly. For everybody to see, you made an attempt to insult a man. But not from everybody insults are taken You probably do not realize it and will be trying again and again.

actually it wasn't an attempt......but i guess i was supposed to roll over and allow robbie to rub my belly, right?

no.

if u say something "stupid", and yes, that's subjective perhaps, i'll call u on it. pretty much.

ok, your "amusement score" has maxed out and on the decline......u may have the last word(s).

and forgive the misspelling of your name earlier........my eyes betray me sometimes on this thing.

Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more

And, ladies and gentlemen, this fellow is EXPOSED. It wasn't hard at all.

Your welcome!

Robert

*yawn*

did u actually type "EXPOSED" and "Robert" in the same post?

oh dear.

btw.....if someone OWNS a "Casio", they likely know how to SPELL "casio"

dread_tai wrote:

Iliah Borg wrote:

dread_tai wrote:

Iliah Borg wrote:

Classy

it is what it is.

actually it wasn't an attempt

Of course it was. Unsuccessful, but still. To quote my favorite comedian, nothing suits a man better than kindness.

-- hide signature --
sgoldswo
sgoldswo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,717
Re: The unflagging groundswell...

Stephan K wrote:

If Nikon had used similar clean design cues for the Df as the Fuji XT-1 or the Olympus E-M1 or E-M5

They did, or maybe I'm missing something here? The Df is beautiful, particularly so compared to the E-M1 which I also own.

Regardless - I've rarely seen a camera so consistently generate interest (both positive and negative).

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica Q Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +1 more
Shotcents

Robert

lil one......u don't want a row with me, trust.

Bwahahahahahahaha! Absolutely priceless!

You've officially stepped in it, rolled in it, and now you've even eaten some!

Robert

Shotcents
Re: The unflagging groundswell...

sgoldswo wrote:

Stephan K wrote:

If Nikon had used similar clean design cues for the Df as the Fuji XT-1 or the Olympus E-M1 or E-M5

They did, or maybe I'm missing something here? The Df is beautiful, particularly so compared to the E-M1 which I also own.

Regardless - I've rarely seen a camera so consistently generate interest (both positive and negative).

Indeed. But within the circle of pros that I know, the Df is a hit. Of course none of us add up features vs. cost. The camera either suits or it doesn't.

The Df was intended for a niche that it has clearly hit squarely. It's not for gear heads or arm-chair shooters or folks who wrestled with saving up for a D600 and a few lenses. As I said before, it's a bit of a indulgence. That it happens to deliver incredible IQ, well that's the payoff for those who got beyond appearances and figured out where it sat in the lineup.

That doesn't mean everyone who passed on it made a poor decision. To most people I'd suggest a D800 or D4 or 5DIII over all the rest. The Df is best for people who know what it is and know how to make use of it's strengths and have fun!

ISO 8000 right out of camera...

Robert

lock Veteran Member • Posts: 6,202
That was not the intention of my response.

I was serious when I asked how you used/set up the AF with BIF on both cameras.

lock

D7100 (yellow AF points in yellow frame) and d600 black AF points in entire frame )

ravduc
ravduc Senior Member • Posts: 2,063

+1

This has turned out to be quite funny.

ravduc's gear list:ravduc's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica Digilux 3 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +20 more
Shotcents

ravduc wrote:

+1

This has turned out to be quite funny.

Yep...best he can do now is pretend to laugh it off.

BTW, saw you mention the 55mm Macro, but the one to get is the 55mm 2.8 AIS. It has CRC, close range correction and is sharper than a razor.

I recently tried one and will likely pick one up from KEH. The little 24mm AF-D 2.8 is also great for the Df, reasonable wide open and very sharp stopped down a bit...and so small on the Df.

My big problem is choosing between the Sigma 35 ART lens and the new Nikon FX 35mm 1.8. I think the difference in IQ won't matter much for my usage and the Nikon is smaller and lighter. Then again I like the faster glass...decisions, decisions.

Robert

curlyone
curlyone Contributing Member • Posts: 685

Hi  ravduc,  i  could buy 10 of these cameras if i wanted to, but this is 2014 and i'm  sick and tired of big companies deliberately crippling their products when charging top dollar,  this camera should have the same focus system as the D800s,  not the D6OOs  full stop.

ravduc

Thanks for your advice on lenses Robert. I already have the 55mm 3.5 micro-nikkor and have a 90mm macro Tamron SP. So far so good with these two. I might take a look at the other one's that you mentionned, but only later. I have been using older ai lenses such as the 50mm f2 and 50mm 1.4. They seem to perform quite well especially the f2 lens which is a bargain lens. Quite amazing how good this little f2 lens can be at one stop down.

Leica Digilux 2 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica Digilux 3 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +20 more
Shotcents

curlyone wrote:

Hi ravduc, i could buy 10 of these cameras if i wanted to, but this is 2014 and i'm sick and tired of big companies deliberately crippling their products when charging top dollar, this camera should have the same focus system as the D800s, not the D6OOs full stop.

If you can't work with the "crippled" 39 point AF for some reason, you don't need to buy ten Dfs. Just buy a D4. No big deal and you can afford it, so what's the problem?

The Df is a tool for other uses. Mine has no trouble focusing in the dimmest venues. I'm also using to to rediscover MF lenses.

The point is that you have a choice and Nikon has cameras for all of us.  I don't complain that the D4 is ONLY 16 MP (at 6000 bucks!) and I don't worry that the Df has 39 points AF.

Cheers,

Robert

BTW, saw you mention the 55mm Macro, but the one to get is the 55mm 2.8 AIS. It has CRC, close range correction and is sharper than a razor.

Why not a modern 60mm?

The little 24mm AF-D 2.8

Somehow I was never lucky with 24mm Nikkors, they all had excessive flare.

-- hide signature --
Nexu1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,746

Glad to hear the df is doing well. I've never understood the backlash against it.

Nexu1's gear list:Nexu1's gear list
Nikon D750
ravduc

I understand your point that they should have included for the price the best AF system available with more focusing points. However, this hasn't been an issue for me.  Af system on the DF is OK as far as I am concerned. I never use anything other than the central focus point on cameras. Focus and recompose for me works better than having to play with a cursor and moving the focusing point on the screen. Why would you want to use this method unless you were always using the camera on a tripod? Imo in hand held situations, it's a lot slower to move the focusing point with a cursor than to use the centre point to focus and then to quickly recompose.

en792
en792 Contributing Member • Posts: 502

Wow. As a retired schoolteacher, I feel like I'm back in a room full of 7 year-olds. Not all of you, if you've read down, you know those to whom I'm referring.

Yes, I don't have the disposable income of *ahem* a doctor, but I could afford the Df. I do have some minor quibbles with the ergonomics, but love it. It doesn't matter a whit to me whether it has been more or less successful than Nikon predicted. What matters is that it's a success for me.

For whatever reason, my percentage of "keepers" has risen dramatically. Perhaps it forces me to be a bit more deliberate. It has led me to add and enjoy fast primes. It requires no focus fine tuning thus far for any of my lenses. And a lot less PP. Again, that's just little old me.

en792's gear list:en792's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G +7 more
scokill
scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,171

ravduc wrote:

I understand your point that they should have included for the price the best AF system available with more focusing points. However, this hasn't been an issue for me. Af system on the DF is OK as far as I am concerned. I never use anything other than the central focus point on cameras. Focus and recompose for me works better than having to play with a cursor and moving the focusing point on the screen. Why would you want to use this method unless you were always using the camera on a tripod? Imo in hand held situations, it's a lot slower to move the focusing point with a cursor than to use the centre point to focus and then to quickly recompose.

All day shooting dance competition and only missed a handful of shots due to focus and they were due to my inability to track while trying to watch too.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads