35mm Slide copying??

Started Feb 18, 2014 | Discussions
opticsguy Regular Member • Posts: 284
35mm Slide copying??

Picked up a vintage slide copier, set up for the film type Minolta camera.  I have an adaptor to my Olympus 510 SLR but forgot about the reduction from full frame to 4/3.  OOPS!!

Any recommendations for slide copy equipment? Thinking about a dedicated 35mm slide scanner, see lots of cheapos for sale but would prefer to keep as much quality as any original might have.

Your real life experiences please and thank you.

AceP Regular Member • Posts: 388
Re: 35mm Slide copying??

opticsguy wrote:

Any recommendations for slide copy equipment? Thinking about a dedicated 35mm slide scanner, see lots of cheapos for sale but would prefer to keep as much quality as any original might have.

The Nikon scanners 5000/8000 are considered really good medium quality kit because of their high resolution AND high ability to get detail in the deep shadows of slides. Check Ebay. When you're done, re-sell to someone else.

D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 29,589

I take it your problem is that the device gives you images that are too big for the sensor ?

A good approach is to use a macro lens that can focus to about 1/3 life size, with either an "Xtend-a-slide" or a "Shot Copy" to hold the slide.

Olympus always made very good macro lenses, and they probably still do. I use an Olympus 80mm macro lens for copying onto APS-C.

Do not use a zoom lens if you care about image quality.

16 Megapixels seems to be enough for most colour slides, but perhaps more would be ideal for the sharpest Kodachromes. Set the camera to ISO 100, to get the best quality. If the camera has built in HDR it is worth trying, as it can improve shadow detail considerably.

Typical result :

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
Digital Dick Senior Member • Posts: 2,199

You will get better and faster results by using your digital camera with a macro lens to copy the slides. See http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51563633

Dick

Digital Dick's gear list:Digital Dick's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II
Richard Weisgrau Veteran Member • Posts: 3,530

Digital Dick wrote:

You will get better and faster results by using your digital camera with a macro lens to copy the slides. See http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51563633

Dick

I agree with the macro idea. I did it it that way when I had to copy slides to digital files when converting to all digital in 2002. I had to copy about 3500 slides that I culled from decades of pro shooting and that I thought I should add to my legacy file.

Many years ago I had a teaching hospital client. They asked to record about 1500 x-rays to slide film to be used for instructional purposes. I did it by getting a large sheet of opal (milk) glass and setting up a bank of tungsten lights behind it. I made a frame, dropped an x-ray in it and shot it. No changes in exposure needed because the light was constant. The results were amazing.

Recalling that, when I had to make digital files of my transparencies I followed the same procedure. I used a bank of compact fluorescent bulbs, milk glass, a frame to hold the slides, a tripod and a rented macro lens for my Nikon digital camera. I ran tests to get the right exposure and white balance, and to assure even backlighting. Once I had it right I gaffer taped the tripod in place, hard tightened the panhead, and affixed a shutter release cord. The I paid a high school student to come after school and do the work.

I did not use an electronic flash because the recycling after a lot of shots alters light output. The CF bulbs were a constant.  I shot in a Nikon D100 (6MP) with a rented Nikkor Macro. Renting the lens was a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a scanner, and it was faster than scanning. I have made numerous large prints from some of those files, and in 2007 I had an exhibit printed from those digital files.

The one caveat is that you need to dust off a slide moments before shooting it to avoid retouching dust marks in the digital file.

You can rent a macro lens on the Internet. Use a macro lens. Unlike a regular lens it is meant to photograph a flat field and that will give you better results than things like extension tubes and bellow with regular lenses.

-
Richard Weisgrau
www.drawnwithlight.com
www.show-my-house.com
Author of:
The Real Business of Photography
The Photographers Guide to Negotiating
Licensing Photography
Selling Your Photography

OP opticsguy Regular Member • Posts: 284

Richard,

Thanks for you suggestions and practical experiences.  I have an adaptor to fit my old minolta lenses to my Olympus 510. One of the lenses is a Minolta Macro lens. Will look to set up my copy stand and design up a lighting system and try out your ideas.

THANK YOU!!

jjsva2955 New Member • Posts: 6

I am looking to copy 2500 Kodachrome slides. I am looking at buying APS-C sensor  Canon M50 and macro  to do the job. I know a full size sensor and a 1:1 macro will full capture a 35mm slide image, so i read. What size macro do I need to do the same on the smaller sensor.

I guess I can pull the camera back if too small to get the full image, but will it still focus?

As you can tell, I am new to photography. Any help woulds be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

jjsva2955's gear list:jjsva2955's gear list
Canon PowerShot A720 IS
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 8,917

jjsva2955 wrote:

I am looking to copy 2500 Kodachrome slides. I am looking at buying APS-C sensor Canon M50 and macro to do the job. I know a full size sensor and a 1:1 macro will full capture a 35mm slide image, so i read. What size macro do I need to do the same on the smaller sensor.

I guess I can pull the camera back if too small to get the full image, but will it still focus?

As you can tell, I am new to photography. Any help woulds be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

This is a zombie thread.

I'd ask again, with your info in the title, in say the Canon mirrorless forum.

jjsva2955 New Member • Posts: 6

What's a zombie thread?

jjsva2955's gear list:jjsva2955's gear list
Canon PowerShot A720 IS
rumple
rumple Senior Member • Posts: 1,725

jjsva2955 wrote:

What's a zombie thread?

A thread that is so old it's stale.  This one was started  seven years ago, so the people you're replying to and/or asking a question of have solved their problems, given up, moved on, etc.

-- hide signature --

"THINK" - Watson

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads