Around $1000 budget... Pana GX7 or OMD EM-10... Locked

Started Feb 17, 2014 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
dgrogers Veteran Member • Posts: 7,079
Re: Around $1000 budget... Pana GX7 or OMD EM-10...

captura wrote:

dgrogers wrote:

Lumixdude wrote:

Have you tried actually finding a fast lens in E Mount though? Sony always has a lot of show for limited gusto with the majority of their lenses being above F/4

Sony is incapable of completing a project before losing interest and moving on to the next. The E mount has been pretty much abandoned. Until the next sparkly thing catches Sony's eye (which will create yet another kludge for your mount of choice), you are expected to use FE lenses instead.

Isn't "fan" the abbreviation of "fanatic?"

Here are several; there are more:

Carl Zeiss E-mount 16-70mm f/4

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/sony/news/two-new-sony-nex-lenses

[Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS](http://Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS)

Sony Alpha E-mount 20mm f/2.8 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 PZ OSS

Zeiss E-mount Touit 32mm f/1.8

Zeiss Touit 12mm f/2.8 Lens (Sony E-Mount)

Zeiss Touit 2.8/50M Lens for Sony E

What is your point?  What's out is out and that's it.  There is no new E mount development.  It has been abandoned.  FE is the new future.  Sony has said this themselves.

-- hide signature --

Completely infatuated with the "OMG"

dgrogers's gear list:dgrogers's gear list
Olympus E-1 Samsung NX20 Olympus OM-D E-M10
Lumixdude Senior Member • Posts: 2,782

It's a shame really... I seriously considered NEX, but Sony can never see anything through, even with their DSLRs really... It only leaves Fuji to take APS-C seriously.

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more

Lumixdude wrote:

It's a shame really... I seriously considered NEX, but Sony can never see anything through, even with their DSLRs really... It only leaves Fuji to take APS-C seriously.

It becomes extremely obvious when a company is dedicated to a system.  It shows in the quality of their products.  Unless you go "full frame," X Mount or m4/3 is the way to go.

-- hide signature --

Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 25,996
Re: Around $1000 budget... Pana GX7 or OMD EM-10... (or reconditioned EM-5)

I didn't see any location information, but if you live in the USA, Olympus America currently has some reconditioned E-M5's with the 12-50mm lens for sale for $880 + tax/shipping.  If you can act today (2/18/2014), there is a 20% off sale on reconditioned cameras using the code PRESIDENT.  That would mean a price of $704 + tax/shipping.  The EM-5 and 12-50mm lens are weather sealed, so you would be able to use the camera lens if rain should come up, and on amusement park splash rides.

Note, a reconditioned camera is typically a returned camera that is inspected and then resold with a smaller warranty (90 days instead of 2 years).  If the warranty is important to you, you can get the Olympus extended warranty for about $100.

You could use your additional budget to pick up the 40-150mm lens to give you the zoom range you want (there are reconditioned 40-150mm lenses as well).  Note, the 40-150mm lens is NOT weather sealed, but your main lens would be.

Neither the 12-50mm nor the 40-150mm are small lenses (about 3.5" in length), so you would need to be comfortable with that size.

If you prefer new cameras, the EM-10 with the kit lens is fairly small and you could add the 40-150mm lens when you need the length should be in your budget range.  The EM-10 is not weather sealed.

In terms of kit lens vs. non-kit lens, the 14-42mm generally adds $100 to the price over body only, but if you buy it separately it is $300.  Now, there is a new variant of the 14-42mm (14-42EZ) that is much smaller for $350, which would be the limit of your budget.  The 14-42mm range would give you the range you would see up to 56mm in your current lens, so you would not be able to the zooming.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +20 more
jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 8,858

captura wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

You may want to add a longer lens like the $200 Panasonic 45-150mm. It's very good for the price, on par with the 14-42mm II, and would give you 90-300mm equivalent. It matches well with the kit zoom.

Got one, very poor compared to the NEX E-body's 55-210.

I'm not familiar with the Sony lens. The 45-150mm gets very good reviews and is much smaller, lighter and cheaper than the Sony. A stop faster, too! I've got one and while it's not on the same level as say the 35-100mm it's really quite good. It is a $200 (or less) budget lens and kind of a no-brainer recommendation for an avowed photography novice.

It's very cheaply made plastic with a plastic lens-mount. Urrrgggh! I have one.

Apparently not. The Panasonic 45-150mm has a metal mount. Mine certainly does. The build quality isn't too bad for a basic, inexpensive consumer level zoom lens.

Maybe you're thinking of the Olympus 40-150mm, which I believe has a plastic mount.

Regardless, what's the point of obnoxiously evangelizing NEX on the M4/3 forum?

I'd wager the majority of M4/3 users looked at a range of different systems and made intelligent decisions, weighing pros and cons of them all before selecting and buying into M4/3. I know I considered NEX briefly, as I did the Nikon D7000… too damn big, even though I was a long time Nikon SLR user with a few F mount lenses… until I considered the available lens lineups of both the NEX and M4/3 systems. That was late 2010, BTW. M4/3 blew NEX out of the water as it does today. Sony's virtual abandonment of the E mount solidifies my choice and many others'.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +28 more
larsbc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,149
not quite right

Lumixdude wrote:

You don't need it but it certainly helps a lot... and the Olympus option is still superior where my E-PL5 has the same amount of IBIS points. Yes, I'm wrong... 2 IBIS points vs. 5 on the OMD.

Actually, the OMD in question, the EM-10, has 3 axis, not 5.

Lumixdude Senior Member • Posts: 2,782
Re: not quite right

Thanks I was thinking about the E-M5.

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
Mellowmark Contributing Member • Posts: 679

Lumixdude wrote:

Unless you're shooting video, go with the Olympus... You can put a Panasonic lens on an olympus body but you can't put an Olympus lens on a Panasonic body as the Panasonic body has no IS. The clear decision then becomes how much you want to spend and whether you want a rangefinder style body or a DSLR style body.

You then have the option of a PEN, or OMD... The PENs are a little cheaper with not much compromise until you get to the OMD-EM1 which has phase detect auto focus. That means you can point your lens at a clear blue sky, or grey brick wall with no contrasty areas and still have your camera focus

I often use my Olympus 40-150 on my Panasonic G3 even though I have the 45-200 Panasonic lens (with IS) as the Olympus is a far better lens. In low light I use a tripod and in good light I just make sure the shutter speed is high enough (and often needs to be anyway for moving subjects).

IBIS is great to have but it's usefulness can be (and often is) exaggerated - it's most useful only in certain specific situations (mainly in low light with static subjects in order to keep the ISO down) - situations where I would usually use a tripod anyway. It's very useful in low light for static subjects, where tripods are not allowed (museums, some cathedrals and other interiors) but not many people will be doing that kind of thing as a significant part of their photography.

For shorter focal lengths (eg Olympus 45mm) I usually need to keep the shutter speed above 1/60 anyway to ensure sharp shots of moving subjects (eg bands/ singers at gigs) so even in low light IBIS would be of little or no use and in good light at f1.8 - f2.8 your shutter speed will be plenty high enough anyway.   My Panasonic 20mm has no IS and that has very seldom been a problem and there are often workarounds for the rare occasions when it is.

Not sure why or when anyone would want a clear blue sky to be their focal point either?

Mellowmark's gear list:Mellowmark's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10
captura Forum Pro • Posts: 25,791

dgrogers wrote:

captura wrote:

dgrogers wrote:

Lumixdude wrote:

Have you tried actually finding a fast lens in E Mount though? Sony always has a lot of show for limited gusto with the majority of their lenses being above F/4

Sony is incapable of completing a project before losing interest and moving on to the next. The E mount has been pretty much abandoned. Until the next sparkly thing catches Sony's eye (which will create yet another kludge for your mount of choice), you are expected to use FE lenses instead.

[Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS](http://Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS)

What is your point? What's out is out and that's it. There is no new E mount development. It has been abandoned. FE is the new future. Sony has said this themselves.

News for you: FE's are E-mounts, too.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony a7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Nippero Contributing Member • Posts: 736

captura wrote:

dgrogers wrote:

captura wrote:

dgrogers wrote:

Lumixdude wrote:

What is your point? What's out is out and that's it. There is no new E mount development. It has been abandoned. FE is the new future. Sony has said this themselves.

FE mount lenses would be needlessly big for E-mount NEX cameras.

OP wants something compact.

I applaud Sony for being the first to have the guts to make a FF MILC but wow I didn't think they would just abandon their E-mount users.

And holy crap, this thread has been dragged hopelessly off topic thanks to your annoying preaching. I don't think the OP has even bothered to come back and reply anymore, has he? Poor guy.

Nippero's gear list:Nippero's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Canon EOS 5D +2 more

jeffharris wrote:

captura wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

You may want to add a longer lens like the $200 Panasonic 45-150mm. It's very good for the price, on par with the 14-42mm II, and would give you 90-300mm equivalent. It matches well with the kit zoom.

Got one, very poor compared to the NEX E-body's 55-210.

I'm not familiar with the Sony lens. The 45-150mm gets very good reviews and is much smaller, lighter and cheaper than the Sony. A stop faster, too! I've got one and while it's not on the same level as say the 35-100mm it's really quite good. It is a $200 (or less) budget lens and kind of a no-brainer recommendation for an avowed photography novice.

It's very cheaply made plastic with a plastic lens-mount. Urrrgggh! I have one.

Apparently not. The Panasonic 45-150mm has a metal mount. Mine certainly does. The build quality isn't too bad for a basic, inexpensive consumer level zoom lens.

Panasonic lenses are better built than Olympus but at slightly higher prices. I like my 14-45 for it's rendition but also for the OIS switch on the barrel. The 14-42II is a good lens but comes in 2 flavors. Plastic mount if it came as part of a kit. Or metal mount if separate purchase.

Maybe you're thinking of the Olympus 40-150mm, which I believe has a plastic mount.

I have it but it's outclassed by my E-mount 55-210.

Regardless, what's the point of obnoxiously evangelizing NEX on the M4/3 forum?

I'm sorry that you think so. Some of your members are very reactive and I always advocate a balanced approach.

I'd wager the majority of M4/3 users looked at a range of different systems and made intelligent decisions, weighing pros and cons of them all before selecting and buying into M4/3.

Nearly every buyer prefers to believe so, whether they read forums or not. My take is that M43 is potentially the best system for the non-pro, what with smaller lenses and portability. But greed has caused manufacturers to push for ever upwards into dizzying heights of price and technology that do not justify the limits imposed by the smallish quarter-sensor. To me, the best M43 camera is the E-PL5.

I know I considered NEX briefly, as I did the Nikon D7000… too damn big, even though I was a long time Nikon SLR user with a few F mount lenses… until I considered the available lens lineups of both the NEX and M4/3 systems. That was late 2010, BTW. M4/3 blew NEX out of the water as it does today. Sony's virtual abandonment of the E mount solidifies my choice and many others'.

I already listed about 10 new E-mount lenses, and added to that are new third party and FE E-mount lenses. Hardly abandonment!

Are you seriously suggesting that Sony would introduce 2 new fullframe and 2 new APS-C cameras just in the past few months and stop development of new E-mount lenses for them? That is not credible.

OP PINOYE90 New Member • Posts: 16

This is the OP... Thank you guys for the advice/input... This is great forum...

I do not like Sony because i worked for Panasonic (Automotive business)...

I considered EM-10 because it is cheaper...

I am now 80% decided with GX7 with kit 14-42... ($874) from BH/Adorama...

Is this good deal? this is the best i have seen this week... cheaper than amazon...

I am leaning towards adorama because their spill/drop warranty is cheaper $65 for 5 years...

Should I pull the trigger now? I can wait 2-3 more weeks... I am now excited to pull the trigger on this... and want to order today

Lab D Veteran Member • Posts: 6,938

captura wrote:

Are you seriously suggesting that Sony would introduce 2 new fullframe and 2 new APS-C cameras just in the past few months and stop development of new E-mount lenses for them? That is not credible.

Thom Hogan pressed them on this when they said the are only concentrating on FE lenses now.  The response he got was only that FE lenses work on APS cameras which is very telling.  No corporation will admit to stopping development (Olympus still gives mixed messages on DSLRs).

Add the dopping of the "NEX" name, and no NEX 7 replacement, and you can judge for yourself on what Sony is doing.   I don't think even they know.

Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4

captura wrote:

Thanks for the laugh.  FE mount is an FE mount, not an E mount.  Why would anybody want to use a lens designed for another system?

-- hide signature --

dgrogers wrote:

captura wrote:

Thanks for the laugh. FE mount is an FE mount, not an E mount. Why would anybody want to use a lens designed for another system?

Just a kind suggestion for you: - in future when you are tempted to say something which might be wrong or stupid, try asking Mr. Google first!

FE lenses share the E-mount with the APS-C (former NEX) lenses.

Sony FE (full frame) lenses on NEX? - Steve's Digicams Forums

sony-alpha-nex/ 209459-sony-fe-full-frame-lenses-nex.html'>forums.steves-digicams.com/ sony-alpha-nex/ 209459-sony-fe-full-frame-lenses-nex.html

"I just stumbled upon a recent test of the Sony FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* SEL55F18Z at SLRGear.com. They tested that lens on both a 'Full Frame' A7R and an APS-C NEX-7. That would seem to indicate that 'FE' lenses work on 'E' bodies."

PINOYE90 wrote:

Is this good deal? this is the best i have seen this week... cheaper than amazon...

I am leaning towards adorama because their spill/drop warranty is cheaper $65 for 5 years...

Should I pull the trigger now? I can wait 2-3 more weeks... I am now excited to pull the trigger on this... and want to order today

Thanks for asking. I'd wait for a couple of months to get the new Sony A6000.

captura wrote:

dgrogers wrote:

captura wrote:

Thanks for the laugh. FE mount is an FE mount, not an E mount. Why would anybody want to use a lens designed for another system?

Just a kind suggestion for you: - in future when you are tempted to say something which might be wrong or stupid, try asking Mr. Google first!

sony-alpha-nex/ 209459-sony-fe-full-frame-lenses-nex.html'>forums.steves-digicams.com/ sony-alpha-nex/ 209459-sony-fe-full-frame-lenses-nex.html

"I just stumbled upon a recent test of the Sony FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* SEL55F18Z at SLRGear.com. They tested that lens on both a 'Full Frame' A7R and an APS-C NEX-7. That would seem to indicate that 'FE' lenses work on 'E' bodies."

They are compatible, so what? We all know that.  It's still a kludge.  Making a lens designed for one mount compatible with another does not change anything.  If you listen to this point carefully, it might not go over your head this time.

-- hide signature --

jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 8,858
Re: you are lost…

captura wrote:

You're in the wrong forum…

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/1042

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +28 more

PINOYE90 wrote:

Do it.  Prices usually don't drop significantly within a few weeks and you may end up paying more once that 11% discount expires.  Besides, if you wait you take a chance it goes out of stock.

-- hide signature --

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,509
GX7, EM10 (and A6000)

PINOYE90 wrote:

Currently have 7 yrs old Nikon D40 with kit lense 18-135mm...
The past year... i dont want to use it because its bulky/big/heavy...

Now... I have a go signal from wife to get new smaller camera...

I am researching/comparing the 2 cameras... i am lost... its like choosing between blonde or brunette...

My observation based on reading this forum for 1 week... GX7 is better camera than EM10... However, i like the black color of the EM10 and it looks like EM10 is cheaper...

Is it better to get the camera with the kit lense? or its better to just get the buy the camera body and get the separate lense... What lense should i get??? I actually prefer the pancake style lense... because its not bulky...

I would use the camera for some family vacations and sometimes taking sport pics for my kids...

Please note... i am not expert in photography... My old DSLR is 98% always in Auto...

Hopefully... the new camera will make me intersted in learning about digital photography... ISO/Apperture/shutterspeed and all that stuff

Thanks!

Re the A6000....she may well be a nice Redhead....but she could also be a bald fat bloke in drag with a wig for all we know at the moment.....

I would simply have a close look at the specs and see what things you like.

I think (just as against the A6000), the GX7 is a higher level camera but with slightly older tech.

They all have things fore and against...

I love my GX7 (not as much as my Sony A7) but it is my second favourite camera ever.

things for ME in favour of the GX7

1/8000 vs 1/4000 shutter speed

tilting EVF

higher flash sync speed

ETC lossless 2.6x teleconverter in video

almost twice the resolution of the EVF

Does the EM10 have a silent shutter mode?? if not, add that as well.

against that..

Lower frames per second (if you don't count the 40fps at reduced size and exposure locked gimmick in the GX7)

number of focus points

video stabilizatrion (if the EM10 does that??)

I prefer the GX7 ...others will differ.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympus-om-d-e-m10/2

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gx7/2

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads