NX1 rumours - for what it's worth...

Started Feb 17, 2014 | Discussions
northlondon43 Senior Member • Posts: 1,005
NX1 rumours - for what it's worth...

...and I suspect not a lot but hey, this forum is about sharing so make of it what you will

Adrian

http://thenewcamera.com/category/samsung-rumors/

northlondon43's gear list:northlondon43's gear list
Samsung NX500 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +8 more
Arn
Arn Veteran Member • Posts: 3,560
Re: NX1 rumours - for what it's worth...

northlondon43 wrote:

...and I suspect not a lot but hey, this forum is about sharing so make of it what you will

rumored to be announced on April 2014

Sweet if the rumored announcement date is true. I hope it comes in April.

Arn's gear list:Arn's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Samsung NX20 Sony Alpha a7 +20 more
simontramper
simontramper Senior Member • Posts: 2,233

Fingers crossed for April announcement this is the one I am waiting for.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/simon-nx/
Trying to capture the images i see around me.

simontramper's gear list:simontramper's gear list
Samsung NX200 Samsung Galaxy NX Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +10 more
ttbek Senior Member • Posts: 4,827

Arn wrote:

northlondon43 wrote:

rumored to be announced on April 2014

Sweet if the rumored announcement date is true. I hope it comes in April.

Hmm, I don't think there's anything there I haven't seen someplace else already except that the NF1 will be a 20 Megapixel APS-C sensor, I was hoping it would be a smaller sensor on that one.

As far as the NX1 goes, I don't know if they have the specifics down, but so far it's as expected, which is a good thing ^_^.

ttbek's gear list:ttbek's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon EOS 5D Samsung NX300 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Samsung NX30 +37 more
Troutguy Regular Member • Posts: 228

good find,

cant wait to hear the price on this oneĀ 

cyco2 Regular Member • Posts: 158

northlondon43 wrote:

Adrian

What I heared so far:

Release 2015 (Q1?) and announcement maybe at Photokina 2014...

In April Samsung will show NX3000 and (NX)F1 mostly...

Arn

cyco2 wrote:

northlondon43 wrote:

Adrian

What I heared so far:

Release 2015 (Q1?) and announcement maybe at Photokina 2014...

In April Samsung will show NX3000 and (NX)F1 mostly...

That is way too late for Samsung and I for one will be disappointed if announcement of the NX1 will be end of the year. The NX system will suffer because the competition is fierce (Fuji X-T1, Sony, Olympus E-M1, etc), if there is no high end model available soon. Samsung doesn't look like a serious player at the moment.

Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Samsung NX20 Sony Alpha a7 +20 more
tecnoworld
tecnoworld Veteran Member • Posts: 7,158

I totally agree with you. There are holes in the nx system and other players are now much more aggressive, even with prices (sony a7 and a6000 are good deals for what they offer).

Nx has some nice lenses, though.

-- hide signature --

* Dear haters, you are now in my ignore list, so your hostile responses are probably not visible to me.

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 +15 more
Arn

tecnoworld wrote:

I totally agree with you. There are holes in the nx system and other players are now much more aggressive, even with prices (sony a7 and a6000 are good deals for what they offer).

Nx has some nice lenses, though.

The NX definitely has great lenses (pancakes are a definite strength, with the fisheye pancake included!). Cost-quality ratio is also high. The 18-55 is actually one of my favourite lenses. I'm eagerly waiting for the new 16-50's (both of them) and the tele zoom lens that should also be arriving soon. But Samsung is lacking in the body department a bit. As they have announced a weather sealed lens, I would reason that a weather sealed higher end body shouldn't be far behind.

What I would really want to see from Samsung, is an official product road map of some sort, at least for lenses, flashes, etc.

tecnoworld

Agreed again. With samsung one has always to guess what comes next

And I also agree on lenses, pancakes in the first line. I'm constantly puzzled for the lack of a compact and high end rangefimder solution to go with those. That'd be a killer system imo.

P.s. thx to your advice, I finaly bought the 10mm and got it today. I just had time to take a few pics, but it's funny

-- hide signature --

* Dear haters, you are now in my ignore list, so your hostile responses are probably not visible to me.

Arn

tecnoworld wrote:

Agreed again. With samsung one has always to guess what comes next

And I also agree on lenses, pancakes in the first line. I'm constantly puzzled for the lack of a compact and high end rangefimder solution to go with those. That'd be a killer system imo.

P.s. thx to your advice, I finaly bought the 10mm and got it today. I just had time to take a few pics, but it's funny

Congrats!

The fish takes some patience and rethinking of the photographic process compared to the use of other lenses. It's refreshing change compared to "ordinary" shooting!

jennyrae Senior Member • Posts: 2,690

define serious player? because cannot comprehend what is mean by this. is NX30 not serious equipment?

regarding NX1 timetable, do not know yet if camera is very late or not because not know yet what is NX1 capability. also depend on what category is model. NX30 definitely is same category as a6000. if is same as XT1 and released next year, it is late I agree. but does it matter? question of what NX1 offer versus NX30. personally, NX30 is more than enough and I see new lenses more of priority and importance than body. upgrade to higher end body is more of higher option for better functionality and future proofing? if NX1 want more success, it need to go more than what XT1 can offer whether this year or next year.

proverbial question is what you need as Samsung NX user.

taz98spin Contributing Member • Posts: 533

jennyrae wrote:

define serious player? because cannot comprehend what is mean by this. is NX30 not serious equipment?

regarding NX1 timetable, do not know yet if camera is very late or not because not know yet what is NX1 capability. also depend on what category is model. NX30 definitely is same category as a6000. if is same as XT1 and released next year, it is late I agree. but does it matter? question of what NX1 offer versus NX30. personally, NX30 is more than enough and I see new lenses more of priority and importance than body. upgrade to higher end body is more of higher option for better functionality and future proofing? if NX1 want more success, it need to go more than what XT1 can offer whether this year or next year.

I'm not a Samsung user (yet), but I am Korean and want Samsung to make the best NX1 possible!

But I think the commnet about needing to be more than what XT1 can offer a bit flawed if it's pushed to next year. By next year Sony will have their A9, Olympus will have their E-M6, and Fuji will most likely have their X-PRO2.

So I hope the rumors are true that it will be announced in April and it will blow everybody away!

taz98spin's gear list:taz98spin's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Alpha a7S Fujifilm X-Pro2 +12 more
tecnoworld

I'm perfectly in line with you. That's what I always tried to transmit here. Samsung usually arrives too late, like with nx30. If it were on the market one year ago, it would have been great. Now it's just good.

Nx1 has to be the best on the market when it arrives and has to have a competitive price, otherwise most ppl won't even notice it.

-- hide signature --

Arn

tecnoworld wrote:

I'm perfectly in line with you. That's what I always tried to transmit here. Samsung usually arrives too late, like with nx30. If it were on the market one year ago, it would have been great. Now it's just good.

Nx1 has to be the best on the market when it arrives and has to have a competitive price, otherwise most ppl won't even notice it.

This is exactly so. Unfortunately most people don't love Samsung like we do. The NX brand is too unknown. They need a killer product for a camera body to get more recognition. The 16-50/2-2.8 may turn out to be such a lens but they need a kick @ss body too.

jstop Regular Member • Posts: 204

tecnoworld wrote:

-- hide signature --

And I dont know why you get called a troll (by some) for that.

I have said many times that Samsung is slow and if the NX1 comes out next year, looking like NX30 and being pricey, I would be really disappointed. To be honest, they are the only ones who can challenge Sony in the large sensor (20+ mp) dept.

Sony may well have the A9 and A7000 by then and a few FE lenses. If Sony releases a lower priced 36 mp full frame camera but with more refined/enhanced features (like A6000 for NEX line), I think they will likely have my vote.....

pew pew
pew pew Contributing Member • Posts: 775

hm 4k, thats very appealing if its priced under 2000$

pew pew's gear list:pew pew's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000
tecnoworld

Thx, I appreciate what you said. Unfortunately in the last months on this forum many ppl arrived just to 'advertise'. So if anybody dares to compare a samsung products to others, they attack him personally and try to emarginate him. This is to reply to your initial question

For the rest, I'm with you. Sony a7 is very appealing. If nx1 approaches it in price, I think that no wise customer would choose samsung over sony. Even owning lenses for the nx system, if a 'good' nx body costs as much as a full frame offering, I'm not considering it.

Besides the a7 is pushin down the prices of sony's aps'c, like a6000. Right now imo the nx30 is priced too high for what it gives, and if the nx1 will be priced proportionally, it will - for sure - cost more than 1200$ for body only. Again, even if it offers all those goodies, it'll be just an aps-c camera with no 'pedigree', and won't sell.

-- hide signature --

tecnoworld wrote:

Thx, I appreciate what you said. Unfortunately in the last months on this forum many ppl arrived just to 'advertise'. So if anybody dares to compare a samsung products to others, they attack him personally and try to emarginate him. This is to reply to your initial question

For the rest, I'm with you. Sony a7 is very appealing. If nx1 approaches it in price, I think that no wise customer would choose samsung over sony. Even owning lenses for the nx system, if a 'good' nx body costs as much as a full frame offering, I'm not considering it.

Besides the a7 is pushin down the prices of sony's aps'c, like a6000. Right now imo the nx30 is priced too high for what it gives, and if the nx1 will be priced proportionally, it will - for sure - cost more than 1200$ for body only. Again, even if it offers all those goodies, it'll be just an aps-c camera with no 'pedigree', and won't sell.

I'm of a bit of a different opinion here.  I think that to build a pedigree it requires your top model to take more of a "price is no object" approach.  You don't need to sell to have a reputation and a reputation is what lets you sell later.  What do I mean by this?  I mean that the reputation is prerequisite to sales unless your entire business plan is to sell at only a tiny fraction above, or even below (e.g. PS3 in order to generate game sales, a similar model could be bodies to generate lens sales, but then you could expect much higher lens prices than what Samsung has done so far, for the same relative quality) manufacturing cost for eternity.  At some point we need to have a real elephant in the room that we can point out to others rather than having an imaginary elephant, or a horse instead of an elephant just because horses are cheaper, because no one will care about the horse even if they do notice it (sorry for making such an English centric and unusual, but I think accurate, analogy).

I'm not saying that price shouldn't be a consideration at all, but consider that we don't know how good the best they can make is.  If they make something as good as a D800, then we should expect a D800 like price tag, if they make something as good as a 1DX, then again, expect 1DX like price tag.  I'm not expecting magic of course though, maybe they make something in the 5D MkIII ballpark, then expect to shell out over 3k for it.  And unfortunately the most likely case is it will be far from as "pro" of a camera I hoped, as Samsung is probably not thinking quite the way I do, in which case your hopes for a low prices are justified somewhat, though 1200 is awfully little, considering where the Galaxy NX price is at, actually that makes the NX30 look like super bargain (relative to Galaxy NX) lol.  My thinking is that your flagship model should be the very best your company has to offer, it shouldn't be meant to be marketed in quite the same way as commodity goods, or even your regular higher end stuff.  For example, look at the difference in price between the 1DX and the 5DMkIII.  They're not exactly close, on B&H, body only for both is 6799 vs. 3399.  Now, I don't know too much about the NX1 as yet, but I suspect that is will be in the 2k range, that's a pretty big guess though, so don't read anything into it.  I also think that Samsung shouldn't undercut their flagship model, it should be their clear cut best offering in all aspects.  This is something they probably do agree with, and would explain NX30 using a sensor very similar (or still maybe even identical) to the NX300 one, because the best one is probably reserved for the NX1.

I'm straying off topic, but if I were Samsung, then my emphasis and design goals for a new sensor would be to improve AF sensors more so than improving image quality, with the goal of being competitive with high end DSLRs.  I wouldn't allow a drop in image quality, but if for instance it was a 5% increase in image quality and better AF vs. an 11% increase in image quality and no better AF, I would take the 5%.

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon EOS 5D Samsung NX300 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Samsung NX30 +37 more

jennyrae wrote:

I'm not sure if his idea of serious player is the same as mine, but Samsung started out very ambitiously when they said they were entering the interchangable lens world (for NX, disregarding earlier forays, Pentax and whatever company they bought briefly and sold back when doing the SR-4000 SLR, was owned by the same person that owned Schneider I think?  Rollei was it?).  By serious player, I think of it as being a company in the camera world that commands the respect of many professionals and that they would be willing to use a Samsung camera as their only camera for work.  I think that if we're lucky the NX1 will be their first foray at producing a camera that your average (I know there are exceptions) pro could make use of instead of their regular camera without any major misgivings.  And on the lens side I think they're starting to ramp up for this as well, considering the 50-150 rumours and our their recent 16-50.

Whether or not the NX1 lives up to expectations performance wise, I expect it to be one of the bigger bodies and that it will run Tizen.  If they're going to release the 50-150 at roughly the same time as the NX1 (which we don't know, but maybe) then it makes sense that the camera released at that time would be at least kind of balanced with it.  Also, even the NX30 is kind of small when seen with the SEF580, so I'm expecting a bigger body.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads