Convince me to jump from Nikon to Fuji

Started Feb 16, 2014 | Discussions
bdhufnagel New Member • Posts: 13
What lens and body size do you want?

The sensors will continue to improve at a remarkable pace, as will features like video, wireless, HDR, and maybe even internet connectivity such as direct deposit into your cloud via 4G cellular.

The physics behind a good lens, however, will not change so rapidly so ask yourself, "What size system do I want to handle and carry?"

Consider the Nikon 1 before considering the Fujifilm X. Is it just right, too small, or too large? Eventually, the imaging devices and microprocessors of really small sensors will rival that of today's SLRs. A lot of people are pretty happy with cell phone cameras right now.

Figure out how much grip you need for the lens system and hope an appropriately sized body to fit them is available. I know I have not mentioned the lens diameter and the amount of light it can gather but lens system performance is tied up with the sensor system. For me, I just felt APS-C lenses were big enough and Fujifilm's body was also not tiny-feeling. I also looked at M4/3 and 1" mirrorless systems but decided to place my trust in sensor development around a lens/body system only one step down from full-frame. Low-light shooting is kind of important for me so I committed to a good set of APS-C lenses. Of course, that is a total gamble on Fujifilm sensor development at least matching its competitors.

Going back to the Nikon 1, it is easily possible Nikon's 1-inch sensor performance will outpace Fujifilm's APS-C and deliver equal, or better, performance despite its smaller area. Try it and a micro 4/3 system, as others have suggested. Compare Fujifilm's, Sony's, and Samsung's APS-C lens and body performance. What do you want to handle and carry, assuming you have a cell phone in your pocket?

Jim Evidon
Jim Evidon Contributing Member • Posts: 951
Re: Fuji listens to its customers and updates frequently

"...So what say you, Fuji fans? Do I drop Nikon and go Fujifilm?...?

I was a 30 year+ Nikon user exclusively. But finally I got tired of carrying around a heavy camera with an assortment of heavy lenses, etc. I decided that I'd either have to hire a bearer (a la African safari ) or move to a lighter and more advanced system. After trying several brands over a few years, I discovered the Fuji X Pro-1. I find it to be well made and finely finished with superb "kit" lens quality. Actually, they don't make kit lenses and the lens prices while not cheap and well within reason. I won't bore you with discussions about the hybrid finder which I love, or the image quality that can blow the socks off the competiition. Lets just say that Nikon is a fine product, but so is Fuji.

What I really admire is that Fuji continues to offer firmware upgrades on cameras that they no longer make incorporating improvements found on later models. An example is the now defunct X100 which now has many of the 100S improvements by way of recent on-line upgrade. Try to get Nikon to do that! No way. They would prefer that you buy the latest model.

Shortly after buying my XPro-1, I had occasion to call Fuji tech support about a question and found that they do monitor forums such as this one and incorporate many improvements suggested by the forums on their next upgrade. I suspect that if you asked Canon or Nikon whether they monitor their customer base on the forums, they wouldn't know what you were talking about.

Nikon makes a great product and if you like it keep it. But if you are tempted to look at Fuji, you may find that it is more to your liking as did I.
Jim

Jim Evidon's gear list:Jim Evidon's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 DxO One Fujifilm X70 Leica M Typ 240 Leica TL2 +2 more
mistermejia Veteran Member • Posts: 3,340

Jim Evidon wrote:

I was a 30 year+ Nikon user exclusively. But finally I got tired of carrying around a heavy camera with an assortment of heavy lenses, etc. I decided that I'd either have to hire a bearer (a la African safari ) or move to a lighter and more advanced system. After trying several brands over a few years, I discovered the Fuji X Pro-1. I find it to be well made and finely finished with superb "kit" lens quality. Actually, they don't make kit lenses and the lens prices while not cheap and well within reason. I won't bore you with discussions about the hybrid finder which I love, or the image quality that can blow the socks off the competiition. Lets just say that Nikon is a fine product, but so is Fuji.

What I really admire is that Fuji continues to offer firmware upgrades on cameras that they no longer make incorporating improvements found on later models. An example is the now defunct X100 which now has many of the 100S improvements by way of recent on-line upgrade. Try to get Nikon to do that! No way. They would prefer that you buy the latest model.

Shortly after buying my XPro-1, I had occasion to call Fuji tech support about a question and found that they do monitor forums such as this one and incorporate many improvements suggested by the forums on their next upgrade. I suspect that if you asked Canon or Nikon whether they monitor their customer base on the forums, they wouldn't know what you were talking about.

Nikon makes a great product and if you like it keep it. But if you are tempted to look at Fuji, you may find that it is more to your liking as did I.
Jim

Then if fuji does listen to customers in this forums, i would like to ask them to PLEASE keep improving the AF on the X-E1.

I really like my camera and i am NOT planning on selling it, but it would be nice if it does improve in locking focus in lower light  

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
Astrophotographer 10 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,273
Re: Convince me to jump from Nikon to Fuji

Same. I plan on an XT1 to complement my Sony A7r.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +1 more
Graham Hill Senior Member • Posts: 1,355

Jim Evidon wrote:

I'm still waiting for Fujifilm to fix the defective in-camera RAW converter on my X100 (and X10). You know, the one fixed on their other X cameras but somehow decided to hang out to dry the people who created the X camera buzz in the first place?

Suuuure.

Jim

jjlad Senior Member • Posts: 1,955

Yesterday my dealer replaced my D7000 with a D7100 under my extended warranty because the 7000 had gone in twice for focusing issues and was stil totally erratic.

So today I find myself shooting license plates, sparrows and pedestrans from my apartment  and really appreciating the image quality. Got my Sigma 50-150 out and tried that, finally my Nikon 70-300 which I use for sports a lot. Really impressed all around.

Then ...just as a reality check I got one of my two Fuji s100fs units out.

At iso's up to 400 and using both optical and digital zoom ....I honestly can't say that I prefer the output from the 7100. The Fuji is just such a dependable, no nonsense, 'just deliver it' camera I end up with a smile on my face every time I use it. I shot lots of sports with it and it was difficult due to having to use manual focus and keep hitting the instant focus button ..as otherwise the camera would hunt too much, but the images turned out. I have access to D700 and shot with that but with a 70-200 shooting polo ...by the time I cropped in the IQ remaining wasn't as good as the s100fs on digital zoom delivering 11mp images at 800mm equavalent. When it would focus the d7000 was great and a treat to look through an optical viewfinder instead of the digital and I can see already the 7100 is an improvement. That said ...I always have an s100fs for everyday photograpy and appreciate what Fuji is capable of every time I use it. No I cant focus on dragonflies in flight like I can with a Nikon but for the versatility and dependability ....to me it is still incredible.

So ..if Fuji does come out with something really good ...for sure I'll look. Between the old s100fs and their newer bridge cams ...they had nothing that could touch it and a lot of designs they should have left on the board ....I tried a bunch. A great DSLR from them would be a treat for sure.

jjlad's gear list:jjlad's gear list
Canon PowerShot A570 IS Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Nikon D7100 +1 more
rovingtim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,644

blue_cheese wrote:

How do you do live view focus and get it right with magnified view in bright sunlight?

Never needed to in my photography. By the way, Nikon's focus is considered very accurate.

From my experience, MF is a chimp and shoot.

I agree that EVF is far superior for the purposes of MF. My point was that if you have AF lenses and a good AF system, MF is not really necessary.

How is the EVF response in a fast pan, it didn't strike me as good, everything smeared until I stopped moving the camera.

EVF in what camera? If it's not good enough for you in the EM1 and X-T1 (caveat - never used the X-T1 EVF myself) then EVF is not good enough for you yet.

Is there some quantifiable, standard measure of AF performance?

Not to my knowledge. Especially as shooting style is important to the type of AF performance required.

A standard moving target/scene that measures light level vs AF acquisition time/accuracy? I can't find such a benchmark anywhere, and all cameras make claims that they have the best AF. For me AF is critical, and is probably one of the biggest things holding me back from mirrorless, I want to know if the "DSLR has better AF" is FUD.

In most types of focusing, the best mirrorless are (on the whole) faster and more accurate than the best DSLR's in single AF. However, mirrorless performance drops as the light drops and is still far behind in tracking AF.

This is based on a broad range of feedback from photographers who have used both types of systems.

57LowRider Veteran Member • Posts: 3,997
Naw

If you're happy with the big plastic blobs, stick with them. If you want to be a little bit stretched with the old school meets new school experience and find a new kind of joy, have a dabble with the X. Best keep a plastic blob just in case it doesn't chime for you, though.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +11 more
minim3 Contributing Member • Posts: 958

In terms of IQ, you will gain, not lose, if i would not need my gear to work, id jump straight on Fuji X sister ( i only got the x100 for every day use and love it) also was a very big Fuji fan, have had the S2,S3 and S5 (i still own the S5) but wok on a D800 and D700...

Stay as you are if you are,and complement it with and x sistem, as you will lose a lot of many for doing the swap....

I tell you one thing, if fuji brings that FF they're teasing, i will swap all my nikon gear without any doubt the moment it launches !

-- hide signature --
(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 578
Re: What Nikon 2.8 zoom lenses??

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

Yes the Nikon zooms are great. I had the 24-70 - beautiful lens. But so huge heavy and expensive. I could never bring myself to buy the 70-200 despite it being awesome. So huge and expensive and heavy. Just too over the top.

Just by the way the Fuji 18-55 I would rate as a bit better than the Nikon 24-70 because it has OIS. It is also very sharp and good to the corners wide open. Optically its very similar to the Nikon 24-70 but the OIS, the lighter weight, the way lower cost (1/3rd the price), much smaller, takes smaller filters puts it ahead. But its not a FF lens.

Greg.

Having had 3 copies of the Fuji 18-55 it does not come close to the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 in regards to image quality, center to edge sharpness, micro contrast and out of focus rendering are all superior on the Nikon.

The Nikon 70-200 f2.8 II is an amazing lens and probably the best zoom lens currently available but it is indeed heavy.

Personally I found the Fuji 18-55 only a little better than any Nikon kit lens.

If you need the image quality that the two Nikon f2.8 lenses can produce then their weight and cost is well worth it, if you don't then it isn't, it really is that simple.

any constant f2.8 lens is going to be large and heavy, ones for an APS-C system will be smaller and lighter than their FF counterpart but they'll still be big and heavy and are likely to feel unbalanced on a mirrorless body, also an f2.8 for FF isn't the same as one for APS-C in regards to the ability to separate your subject.

wy2lam Veteran Member • Posts: 3,242

I sold almost all my Nikon gears and jumped from a D700 to X-E1 a year ago. Never regretted the decision as the size of the body is too much to handle.

I missed the flash system, the fast focus, the weather sealing (the latter 2 seem to be addressed by the X-T1 to an extent), my 85/1.4 (56/1.2 fixes it hopefully) and 300/2.8 (don't know what will, short of a 200/2 prime)

So, there have been some pics I am not able to take, but I'm able to take some other pics I used to miss. YMMV.

wy2lam's gear list:wy2lam's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS35EXR Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +13 more
wy2lam Veteran Member • Posts: 3,242

> I agree that EVF is far superior for the purposes of MF.
> My point was that if you have AF lenses and a good AF system, MF is not really necessary.

Until you start shooting macros.

I'm thinking starting to play with focus stacking which may become much easier due to peaking.

wy2lam's gear list:wy2lam's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS35EXR Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +13 more
Jim Evidon
Jim Evidon Contributing Member • Posts: 951

"...A great DSLR from them would be a treat for sure...."

Fuji made DSLR's for  years using Nikon Bodies and lens mounts, but with their own internals.

They are fine cameras but were discontinued, I suspect, because the DSLR market was just too crowded with the competition. I doubt that they will return to producing DSLR's. As the EVF's continue to improve, they will in the future probably equal or at least approach the image quality of a DSLR with fewer mechanical complications. As things stand, Fuji has created a nice position in the mirrorless market and they will probably continue to do so.
Jim

Jim Evidon's gear list:Jim Evidon's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 DxO One Fujifilm X70 Leica M Typ 240 Leica TL2 +2 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,786
Re: What you should do

Steve9 wrote:

I've been using Nikon for 3+ years and have been mostly pleased with the Nikon system. Tons of lens options, even more accessories, and plenty of options for buying and selling used. However, Nikon really ticked me off with the D600 sensor oil/dust problem that they "fixed" by releasing the D610- meanwhile I was stuck with a D600 sensor that looks like pepper after a week of shooting. I have since parted ways with the D600, so I'm left with D7000 and D7100 bodies (both APS-C format). I've gotten in pretty deep with Nikon stuff: Sigma 15mm fisheye, Nikkor 24-85mm VR, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, and the big-daddy 70-200mm 2.8 VRII. I also have invested in three Nikon speedlights and nikon-specific radio triggers. The rest of my gear doesn't care what camera brand I'm using. I am thiiiis close to pulling the trigger on the D610 and the 16-35mm f4.

Having said all this, I am having thoughts of switching to Fuji. The X-T1 has me drooling and the reviews on Fujinon lenses are usually very stellar. So are Fujinon lenses on par with similar offerings from Nikon, Sigma, et al? I can certainly re-create my current lens profile with Fujinon lenses, especially with the 16-55 and 50-140 2.8 lenses due out this year. I'm a little worried that Fuji has gone whole-hog into the APS-C format sensor, but they just seem to keep getting better- almost up to full-frame quality. Will I regret limiting myself to APS-C? Weight and size are secondary to image quality in my book. I won't lie, the smaller form factor of the Fuji gear is appealing, but not if IQ suffers.

So what say you, Fuji fans? Do I drop Nikon and go Fujifilm?

Read the recent Nikon and Fujifilm interviews in the news section and compare.  Which company gives you a more positive outlook that believes in innovating and listening to their customers?  Which company is so boring and monotone that customer feedback mostly falls on deaf ears?

Tim C.

Graham Hill Senior Member • Posts: 1,355

Jim Evidon wrote:

"...A great DSLR from them would be a treat for sure...."

Fuji made DSLR's for years using Nikon Bodies and lens mounts, but with their own internals.

They are fine cameras but were discontinued, I suspect, because the DSLR market was just too crowded with the competition. I doubt that they will return to producing DSLR's. As the EVF's continue to improve, they will in the future probably equal or at least approach the image quality of a DSLR with fewer mechanical complications. As things stand, Fuji has created a nice position in the mirrorless market and they will probably continue to do so.
Jim

SLR's from 30-40 years ago run just fine today. The mechanical parts have been refined to the point where they are enormously reliable.  I have a 30 year old SLR that works PERFECTLY.

How many mirrorless cameras will still be running perfectly when they are 30 years old?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads