Olympus E-M10 raw conversion

Started Feb 15, 2014 | Discussions
Kim Letkeman
Kim Letkeman Forum Pro • Posts: 33,428
Re: Pretend it's an EM-5.

morepix wrote:

Ah, for those hair-on-the-chest days of command-line processing. How I miss DOS, Unix shell scripts, etc!

That's a weird comment ... Linux has brought all that back with a vengeance ... I use it all the time

The color issue you noted dims it for me, reminds me how much custom tailoring goes into each raw conversion that's right for one camera but not for another, even a close relative. More encouragement to be a little patient and wait.

Well ... these Oly sensors are not so wildly different that it would behove you to fool around with umpteen other solutions ...

As far as I can see, Adobe seems to be releasing new versions of ACR on about three-month intervals: Sept 2013, Dec 2013. So now maybe ver 8.4 in March 2014. Meanwhile, JPG gets a little better each time.

Yes, you may even get a beta sooner than that. Keep an eye on their site ...

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D600 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +17 more
morepix
OP morepix Veteran Member • Posts: 9,311

Worked like a charm, thanks. Now I (and others in the same boat) have a workable option if we decide not to wait for Adobe.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Ricoh GR Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 +3 more
beomagi Senior Member • Posts: 1,372

Awesome. Let me know if you need any more details.

You can get gvim from here

http://www.vim.org/download.php

Gnu on windows from here

https://github.com/bmatzelle/gow/wiki

I'll play with it a little more to see if I can improve it a bit.

beomagi's gear list:beomagi's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +5 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,549
Yes, right click

That's what I meant. Left click just selects it, sorry. Right click allows you to see the properties and then the details tab. However, I just tried it using Windows 8 and I wasn't able to change the camera name. For some reason when my laptop was running Vista the camera name showed up in a box and I could edit it...

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

morepix

After all that good work, I'm not sure I'm going to try to implement it. The obstacles I'd have to over come are:

• Making it work in batch mode
  • Dealing with some issues concerning the downloading / renaming program that I've integrated into my workflow.

And to tell the truth, I'm finding so far that the JPG's out of this camera are pretty darn good. I think they may be even better than those from the E-M5, maybe due to the new processing engine the E-M10 shares with the E-M1. For sure, I'll go back to raw when Adobe has done their thing, as there's little reason not to and some definite advantages. But I may opt to struggle through for a month on JPGs.

However, I'll bet some other readers will jump at the opportunity you've turned up for them here.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Ricoh GR Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 +3 more
morepix
Re: Yes, right click

Good old Microsoft, making fewer and fewer things possible every day. Consider the new version of that old Microsoft tag line : "Where [did] you want to go today? Oops! Sorry."

Try to play a video DVD on your up(?)graded OS!

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

dv312
dv312 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,590
Another alternative

I open the ORF via OnOne Perfect Auto Suite, apply the appropriate preset then save as PSD

The use LR and/or CS6 to further edit the PSD

Good for now till the new ACR is released

Cheers

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +2 more

morepix wrote:

After all that good work, I'm not sure I'm going to try to implement it. The obstacles I'd have to over come are:

• Making it work in batch mode
  • Dealing with some issues concerning the downloading / renaming program that I've integrated into my workflow.

And to tell the truth, I'm finding so far that the JPG's out of this camera are pretty darn good. I think they may be even better than those from the E-M5, maybe due to the new processing engine the E-M10 shares with the E-M1. For sure, I'll go back to raw when Adobe has done their thing, as there's little reason not to and some definite advantages. But I may opt to struggle through for a month on JPGs.

However, I'll bet some other readers will jump at the opportunity you've turned up for them here.

Excellent, that's good feedback. Since that will probably stop others, here's the automatic method that will do it in 2 clicks per file.

Automate changing em10 raw to be recognized as em5 raw:

1: install VIM from here http://www.vim.org/download.php

2: install GNU on Windows from here https://github.com/bmatzelle/gow/releases
use all default options for these.

3: use file explorer and go to go to "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo" in file explorer

4: make a text file in there with the following text:

::+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

:: go to "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo" in file explorer
:: drop this bat file in there

set xxdbin="c:\Program Files (x86)\Vim\vim74\xxd.exe"
set srt=%1
set fin=%1.em10conv.orf
echo converting %srt% to %fin%

set iem10=452d4d3130202020202020202020
set iem5=452d4d3520202020202020202020

%xxdbin% -ps -c 4096 %srt% |sed "s/%iem10%/%iem5%/"|%xxdbin% -ps -c 4096 -r > %fin%

::+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just copy and paste it in. Save the file as a bat file - i.e. rename it to something like CONVem10.bat.

Now all you have to do it right click on an em10 RAW file, mouse over the "send to" menu and click on the bat file you made. The converted file will appear in the same folder of the name.

put the bat file in your send to folder to  access it easily

right click on file, send to, your bat file, and the output will show up in that folder

Converted file EXIF check.... Big success

Canon EOS 5D Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +5 more

Anyone wanna give this a quick try and see if it works?

I changed the decode/encode to be more robust, and it should work file with Adobe products, but I use other software so can't check myself.

BAT file is also setup to be editable - change the strings around and it should be able to adapt to new camera models.

micampe New Member • Posts: 19

Wow. Just download IrfanView or exiftool if you really want command line, not this Rube Goldberg contraption.

micampe's gear list:micampe's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Olympus OM-D E-M10
morepix

micampe wrote:

Wow. Just download IrfanView or exiftool if you really want command line, not this Rube Goldberg contraption.

That's missing the whole point of raw. Sure, you have a converted version of the raw image, but it's as "cooked" as a JPG would have been. Besides which, it's very likely that the OOC JPG would be better cooked by the new processing engine in the camera.

beomagi is showing us a way to make the raw image, still raw, digestible by LR, ACR, and Photoshop.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

micampe New Member • Posts: 19

No, you don’t need to convert anything. Exiftool is doing exactly the same thing beomagi is doing by patching the file using hex codes, except in a more robust way and by actually typing the letters instead of numbers.

That entire post can be translated to:

exiftool -Model=E-M5 *.ORF

which, as I said three days ago, is what I’m doing and works just fine.

micampe's gear list:micampe's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Olympus OM-D E-M10

Cool thanks dude. Didn't know of that tool

morepix

A thousand pardons. I just saw your reference to IrfanView and glossed over exiftool. Exiftool looks good; IrfanView no point.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

morepix
Re: Another alternative

dv312 wrote:

I open the ORF via OnOne Perfect Auto Suite, apply the appropriate preset then save as PSD

The use LR and/or CS6 to further edit the PSD

Good for now till the new ACR is released

Cheers

This is not the first time this question has come up. But I'd really like to understand why you think the raw conversion the OnOne software does is better than the raw conversion to JPG in the camera?

And if you don't think it's better, as I don't, then why not just shoot JPG (or record both, but use the JPG) until the ACR rev comes out?

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

dv312
dv312 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,590

If you read carefully I said I used presets so the result will not just a conversion of the RAW but also to enhance the image to a certain looks I want

I do find the presets (depends on taste and desired output) most of the time can produce better results than the JPGs (if not all the time )

Furthermore I also use LR and CS6 to further enhance the image

If you ever use CS6 you 'll know that it prefers RAW or PSD to JPG for these can quickly deteriorate after a few tweaks in CS6

That's my workflow and reasoning

Of course I'd have preferred to work from RAW in LR then bring it to OnOne or CS6 later ( my usual workflow)

To each her own method and desired output

Cheers,

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +2 more
Paulmorgan Veteran Member • Posts: 7,432
Re: Olympus E-M10 raw conversion

I would check out LR 5, it may not support the EM10 fully yet but there is the DNG converter, and it can do a whole lot more than just process images.

morepix

I don't use CS6, I left it behind for CC, but I suppose CC "prefers" raw & PSD too.

I'm glad your method works for you, and I won't be adopting it anytime soon. We'll both be happier when Adobe updates the conversion modules in ACR / LR / DNG Converter to handle E-M10 raw.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads