Questions for A 65 owners

Started Feb 15, 2014 | Discussions
Steven Norton
Steven Norton Contributing Member • Posts: 511
Questions for A 65 owners

I've just bought the RX10 and while its a good camera it's painfully slow to zoom and it can't track moving objects. My question to A65 owners ( I don't want the size of the A77) will the A65 with either 18-135 or 18-250 serve me well? I like long zooms as I like wildlife and I only want a one lens solution. I need fast focusing. The tamron 18-270 pzd samples are horrible so that's off the list. Your opinions are appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Steve

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony SLT-A65 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
nandbytes Senior Member • Posts: 5,950
Re: Questions for A 65 owners

Steven Norton wrote:

I've just bought the RX10 and while its a good camera it's painfully slow to zoom and it can't track moving objects. My question to A65 owners ( I don't want the size of the A77) will the A65 with either 18-135 or 18-250 serve me well? I like long zooms as I like wildlife and I only want a one lens solution. I need fast focusing. The tamron 18-270 pzd samples are horrible so that's off the list. Your opinions are appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Steve

Hi my sigma 18-250mm macro served me very well on my A57. But its the last APS-C lens left and I am finding it harder to sell than the others. The AF I felt was faster than tamron and for a superzoom i think its one of the sharpest. The HSM is fast, smooth and doesn't make much noise.

If you happen to be any where around London, you can try mine out if you like. (Honest offer, no intention of selling it to you unless you want it)

I also think 18-135 will give you sharper images.

nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha a7 Sony Alpha a7R II Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III +5 more
Steven Norton
OP Steven Norton Contributing Member • Posts: 511

nandbytes wrote:

Steven Norton wrote:

-- hide signature --

Regards
Steve

Hi my sigma 18-250mm macro served me very well on my A57. But its the last APS-C lens left and I am finding it harder to sell than the others. The AF I felt was faster than tamron and for a superzoom i think its one of the sharpest. The HSM is fast, smooth and doesn't make much noise.

If you happen to be any where around London, you can try mine out if you like. (Honest offer, no intention of selling it to you unless you want it)

I appreciate the offer but I live near Middlesbrough . Thanks for your input.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Steve

Steven Norton wrote:

nandbytes wrote:

Steven Norton wrote:

-- hide signature --

Regards
Steve

-- hide signature --

Regards
Steve

Also consider the new tamron 16-300mm. Its not out yet and doesn't have any reviews but might be worth waiting for.

Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha a7 Sony Alpha a7R II Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III +5 more
Steven Norton

nandbytes wrote:

Steven Norton wrote:

nandbytes wrote:

Steven Norton wrote:

-- hide signature --

Regards
Steve

The optical distorsion--
Regards
Steve

Also consider the new tamron 16-300mm. Its not out yet and doesn't have any reviews but might be worth waiting for.

The optical distortion could be bad on a lens that long. And its heavy too. I want to stick with Sony for lens compatibility.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Steve

Steven Norton wrote:

nandbytes wrote:

Steven Norton wrote:

nandbytes wrote:

Steven Norton wrote:

-- hide signature --

Regards
Steve

The optical distorsion--
Regards
Steve

The optical distortion could be bad on a lens that long. And its heavy too. I want to stick with Sony for lens compatibility.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Steve

Some sony lenses are worth the money like sony 16-50mm, and some are overpriced and 18-250 is one of them IMO.

The sony 18-250 is actually the old tamron lens rebadged, its also nosier focusing too. I think both Sigma 18-250 and tamron 18-270 are better.

Sony 18-135mm I hear is very good, never used it myself. Also more cost effective I think.

Ed at Ridersite Forum Pro • Posts: 18,111

Steven Norton wrote:

My question to A65 owners ( I don't want the size of the A77) will the A65 with either 18-135 or 18-250 serve me well? I like long zooms as I like wildlife and I only want a one lens solution. I need fast focusing. The tamron 18-270 pzd samples are horrible so that's off the list. Your opinions are appreciated.

If you aren't happy with the Tamron 18-270mm IQ, I don't think you are going to be happy with any of the super zoom alternatives.  The advantage of the Sony options is that they provide image corrections if you shoot jpg.  This greatly improves distortion, CA/PF and vignetting, but not sharpness.  If you shoot RAW and post process, Lightroom has corrections for the old Tamron 18-250mm which is the same as the Sony - so the Tamron corrections can be used for the Sony.

The problem with the 18-135mm is that it is really not long enough for wildlife.  In fact, the 250-270mm max of the super zooms is fairly short for wildlife shooting.

If you want high IQ with wildlife, you are much better off with a dedicated lens - maybe the Sony 70-300mm or Tamron 70-300mm.  Also, the newly announced Tamron 150-600mm ($1079 US) looks very promising, but it isn't available yet in the A-mount.

-- hide signature --

AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

Ed at Ridersite's gear list:Ed at Ridersite's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II
Steven Norton

Ed at Ridersite wrote:

Steven Norton wrote:

My question to A65 owners ( I don't want the size of the A77) will the A65 with either 18-135 or 18-250 serve me well? I like long zooms as I like wildlife and I only want a one lens solution. I need fast focusing. The tamron 18-270 pzd samples are horrible so that's off the list. Your opinions are appreciated.

If you aren't happy with the Tamron 18-270mm IQ, I don't think you are going to be happy with any of the super zoom alternatives. The advantage of the Sony options is that they provide image corrections if you shoot jpg. This greatly improves distortion, CA/PF and vignetting, but not sharpness. If you shoot RAW and post process, Lightroom has corrections for the old Tamron 18-250mm which is the same as the Sony - so the Tamron corrections can be used for the Sony.

The problem with the 18-135mm is that it is really not long enough for wildlife. In fact, the 250-270mm max of the super zooms is fairly short for wildlife shooting.

If you want high IQ with wildlife, you are much better off with a dedicated lens - maybe the Sony 70-300mm or Tamron 70-300mm. Also, the newly announced Tamron 150-600mm ($1079 US) looks very promising, but it isn't available yet in the A-mount.

-- hide signature --

AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

Wise words.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Steve

doctorxring Senior Member • Posts: 1,341

I have been running A65 since they came out.  I had a SAL18250 but was never very happy with it.  It's tempting because of it's huge zoom range fairly wide to fairly long.   But it's not that sharp unless f8.

My recommendation is to definitely get an A65 and then get the Sony 1650 and 70300G to go with it. You will have an exceptional kit that will provide you with great versatility and very high performance.

doctorxring's gear list:doctorxring's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony RX1R II Sony RX10 III Sony Alpha a7 Sony a77 II +1 more
OpticsEngineer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,856

The RX10 goes to 200 mm, so I guess you are thinking of wildlife not too far away.

My A65+Tamron 18-270 is decent.      I think there is a lot of quality variation on the 18-270 though.  I also have the Tamron 18-270 for a Nikon D7100 and it has quite a bit less resolution at full zoom than my Sony version does.

But I will tell you what is better than my A65+18-270.    My NEX7+SEL18-200 lens is quite a bit better.     Pair that SEL-18200 up with the newer A6000 with its faster AF and that might be just the thing for you.

To me the RX10 seems like a bit of an odd duck.   My suspicion is that a NEX6/7 with either of the 18-200 zooms is hardly any bigger and has significantly better IQ.   But the market for a superzoom may be a completely different crowd so maybe it makes sense that way.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Pentax *ist D +22 more
Brazo Regular Member • Posts: 366

OpticsEngineer wrote:

The RX10 goes to 200 mm, so I guess you are thinking of wildlife not too far away.

My A65+Tamron 18-270 is decent. I think there is a lot of quality variation on the 18-270 though. I also have the Tamron 18-270 for a Nikon D7100 and it has quite a bit less resolution at full zoom than my Sony version does.

But I will tell you what is better than my A65+18-270. My NEX7+SEL18-200 lens is quite a bit better. Pair that SEL-18200 up with the newer A6000 with its faster AF and that might be just the thing for you.

To me the RX10 seems like a bit of an odd duck. My suspicion is that a NEX6/7 with either of the 18-200 zooms is hardly any bigger and has significantly better IQ. But the market for a superzoom may be a completely different crowd so maybe it makes sense that way.

Not in my testing, worse iq than a super zoom and about on par with a quality 2.8 zoom.

Brazo's gear list:Brazo's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads