WARNING: issues with B&H and A7

Started Feb 14, 2014 | Discussions
MazerRackham
MazerRackham New Member • Posts: 6
WARNING: issues with B&H and A7

I just received my A7 kit from B&H today.

Upon unboxing, I find a nice surprise when inspecting the A7 body: a Lexar 32GB SDHC card installed!  And when powering up, the date and time were set, it was in RAW mode, etc.  My "brand new" camera was obviously either handled in the store or was a return.

I realize that they can sell items like this as "new", but at least don't be so lazy as to not reset the camera and make sure someone else's memory cards aren't installed.  (Oddly enough, there weren't any photos on the memory card...)

The camera however seemed fine, but I can't accept a used item as new, especially when shelling out 2 grand for it.  I'll never be happy with that.

I am going to return this ASAP and just buy from the Sony Store at South Coast Plaza (I live in LA).

Years ago I purchased some items from B&H and everything went well, but this recent experience has me thinking that I will NEVER be back.

Take my experience FWIW, not saying you shouldn't buy from B&H, but just be ready to find your "new" items in less than idea states.

MazerRackham's gear list:MazerRackham's gear list
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Sony Alpha a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
wb2trf Veteran Member • Posts: 3,088
Seems random. I think they're great.

Everybody can make a mistake, but my experience with them is about the best there is. I'm not alone in that.

viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,148
Re: WARNING: issues with B&H and A7

BH Photo has stellar customer service.  I would give them a call.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
symbology Regular Member • Posts: 224

I had a similar issue with Adorama.   I bought the Phottix Odin from them with a second receiver.   it was clear that the one box with the transmitter had been opened the items removed from the package.   These are just triggers and I needed to use them, so I did not send then back (as they requested) for a replacement.

They claim they ship things as they get them from the manufacturer.

KwhyChang Veteran Member • Posts: 5,790

If you call them they will make it right.

I like dealing with them because I get items fast and generally it's always a fair market price.

-- hide signature --

Dave

MazerRackham
OP MazerRackham New Member • Posts: 6

I hear what you guys are saying, but I just don't know.

I will call them on Sunday (because they are closed until then). I will report back ...

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Matt_A Regular Member • Posts: 128

Even at the Sony store they've let me open brand new boxes to test out cameras that weren't on display. That might be what happened. I'm with you though, for $2K it should be brand new still sealed. I think all the cameras I've bought from B&H and the Sony Store didn't come with tape sealing the box though.

And then there's this

http://petapixel.com/2011/05/18/photos-found-on-memory-card-offer-a-glimpse-inside-bh-photo-video/

Matt_A's gear list:Matt_A's gear list
NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a7S +4 more
MazerRackham
OP MazerRackham New Member • Posts: 6

Matt_A wrote:

Even at the Sony store they've let me open brand new boxes to test out cameras that weren't on display. That might be what happened. I'm with you though, for $2K it should be brand new still sealed. I think all the cameras I've bought from B&H and the Sony Store didn't come with tape sealing the box though.

And then there's this

http://petapixel.com/2011/05/18/photos-found-on-memory-card-offer-a-glimpse-inside-bh-photo-video/

LOL! Well at least that was a used camera

lenshoarder Contributing Member • Posts: 609

Matt_A wrote:

I think all the cameras I've bought from B&H and the Sony Store didn't come with tape sealing the box though.

Only P&S cameras tend to come with seals.  Mirrorless and above don't.  I think it's specifically so that people can open the up and play with them.  Remember that the history of photo retailing was the local camera store.  There, it was quite common for people to play with a camera before deciding to buy it.

The problem is that so many people have this buy and try mentality. How many times do you see people post that they will buy camera A, camera B and camera C. Use them all for a week to decide which one to keep and return the other two. What do you think happens to those other two?

That's why so many retailers have instituted restocking fees now.  Then they can sell the item as a open box at a lower price without taking a hit.  I think that's why B&H instituted a max shutter count on returns.  So that they can resell them as "new".  Not checking to see if there's a memory card and not resetting it to factory defaults is unexcusable though particularly on a $2,000 product.  They should do a full inspection before reselling any returned product.  Personally, I rather they implemented a restocking fee and sold things as open box.

forpetessake
forpetessake Veteran Member • Posts: 4,892

Unfortunately, those things are becoming very common, which never happened before. I don't think it's legal though selling camera specified as new, while it's an open box or returned unit. Maybe starting filing complaints with FTC may force the vendors to be honest again.

I got my Metabones adapter from B&H with some dust like powder on the lens and a smudge like from a finger. I got A7 from Focus camera with fingerprints on the body and a dust on the sensor.

Cobber55
Cobber55 Regular Member • Posts: 315

symbology wrote:

I had a similar issue with Adorama. I bought the Phottix Odin from them with a second receiver. it was clear that the one box with the transmitter had been opened the items removed from the package. These are just triggers and I needed to use them, so I did not send then back (as they requested) for a replacement.

They claim they ship things as they get them from the manufacturer.

I also had a similar experience with Adorama. A 'new' Nikon D3200 I got from them some time ago had a card in it with someones photos. I was fobbed off until I put it online, then suddenly I was asked to return it and got a full refund. People can make mistakes but it is how the company deals with it that sets them apart.

Cobber55's gear list:Cobber55's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Sony a6500 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +2 more
cheddargav Veteran Member • Posts: 4,493

Imagine if you made a mistake at work and someone went on a forum and said "he made a mistake, NEVER hire this guy ever again!"
That's kinda what you're doing here.
Mistakes happen, return it and ask for another, no big deal.
All the best

cheddargav's gear list:cheddargav's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
Richt2000 Senior Member • Posts: 2,900

Fairly standard with any online retailer who has a downtown storefront.

I would return myself, due to the risk of it being a return with a problem that doesn't surface until after the return policy.

Richt2000's gear list:Richt2000's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha a7R Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +9 more
Kiichiro Contributing Member • Posts: 515

MazerRackham wrote:

I just received my A7 kit from B&H today.

Upon unboxing, I find a nice surprise when inspecting the A7 body: a Lexar 32GB SDHC card installed! And when powering up, the date and time were set, it was in RAW mode, etc. My "brand new" camera was obviously either handled in the store or was a return.

I realize that they can sell items like this as "new", but at least don't be so lazy as to not reset the camera and make sure someone else's memory cards aren't installed. (Oddly enough, there weren't any photos on the memory card...)

The camera however seemed fine, but I can't accept a used item as new, especially when shelling out 2 grand for it. I'll never be happy with that.

I am going to return this ASAP and just buy from the Sony Store at South Coast Plaza (I live in LA).

Years ago I purchased some items from B&H and everything went well, but this recent experience has me thinking that I will NEVER be back.

Take my experience FWIW, not saying you shouldn't buy from B&H, but just be ready to find your "new" items in less than idea states.

That's an expensive memory card.  You can buy an used a7r for $1800 and save some money. I would call B&H and return it.

Kiichiro's gear list:Kiichiro's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX20 Fujifilm X70 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony 35mm F1.4 G Sony FE 70-200 F4
Clayton1985 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,544

lenshoarder wrote:

The problem is that so many people have this buy and try mentality. How many times do you see people post that they will buy camera A, camera B and camera C. Use them all for a week to decide which one to keep and return the other two. What do you think happens to those other two?

That's why so many retailers have instituted restocking fees now. Then they can sell the item as a open box at a lower price without taking a hit. I think that's why B&H instituted a max shutter count on returns. So that they can resell them as "new". Not checking to see if there's a memory card and not resetting it to factory defaults is unexcusable though particularly on a $2,000 product. They should do a full inspection before reselling any returned product. Personally, I rather they implemented a restocking fee and sold things as open box.

As far as I know B&H discontinued the max shutter count policy. Some of your points are valid but the retailers are big boys... if it is more beneficial to charge restocking fees and/or to limit returns then they have the freedom to do so.

A strict restocking or return policy applied universally is a good way for a retailer to lose my business. I don't typically try and buy and I don't abuse returns but I want the option to do so. Online retailers are smart enough to realize that we can try and buy in a brick and mortar store so they need to have reasonable return policies to compete. The consumer didn't create this environment... the online retailers did.

Personally, I'm a fan of using technology.... that is, track the buying habits of customers and implement policies for abusers. I believe Amazon does this and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the others do too.

brudy Senior Member • Posts: 1,510

Clayton1985 wrote:

As far as I know B&H discontinued the max shutter count policy. Some of your points are valid but the retailers are big boys... if it is more beneficial to charge restocking fees and/or to limit returns then they have the freedom to do so.

A strict restocking or return policy applied universally is a good way for a retailer to lose my business. I don't typically try and buy and I don't abuse returns but I want the option to do so. Online retailers are smart enough to realize that we can try and buy in a brick and mortar store so they need to have reasonable return policies to compete. The consumer didn't create this environment... the online retailers did.

The consumer did in fact create this environment with collusion from Amazon. People are willing to throw brick and mortars to the wind for the cheapest price and the ability to return anything, to the detriment of places like B&H that have an actual storefront. This impacts local camera shops (which have virtually disappeared) and leaves only B&H, Samys, and a few others here in the US that also have a strong mail order/online component. I think B&H is doing all they can to compete against the Amazon behemoth. That said, they need to make sure that used items don't slip in to the new stream, but let's remember that B&H and Adorama aren't the mechanized retail army that Amazon is and things happen.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brudy

brudy's gear list:brudy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha a7R Fujifilm X-T10
Brian_Smith
Brian_Smith Veteran Member • Posts: 3,035

lenshoarder wrote:

Absolutely! Please consider the next guy when you take a camera out for a "free trial".

dave92029 Contributing Member • Posts: 774

B&H has excellent customer service and an awesome selection  of products... They are The Best IMHO, not perfect!
Dave

dave92029's gear list:dave92029's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha a7 Sony a6000 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more

brudy wrote:

The consumer did in fact create this environment with collusion from Amazon.

Actually Amazon explicitly discourages the buy and try mentality.  While they do have easy returns, they will ban anyone for life for having too many returns.  Too many being a relatively low number.  They also practice the Kim Jong-un method of banning.  They not only ban you but everyone associated with your account.

Also, I blame the consumers not the retailers for the loss of the local photo store.  Consumers make a choice to buy at the cheapest price rather than support their local photo stores.  So they end up getting exactly what they want.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads