ZS40/TZ60 vs the competition

Started Feb 14, 2014 | Discussions
MarioV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,767
DigitalVersus TZ60 review

http://www.digitalversus.com/digital-camera/panasonic-lumix-dmc-tz60-p18430/test.html#full-review

I've always found these guys to be tough but fair.

I hope they review the SX700 soon.

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D5200 Canon EOS M100 +1 more
windmillgolfer
windmillgolfer Forum Pro • Posts: 15,372
Re: DigitalVersus TZ60 review

Thanks for the link Mario. The only other review I've seen with such a low opinion of the IQ was on a pre-production camera. So, given all others have shown better IQ, I'm left wondering if this review was based on a pre-production model.

Note, Ian has kindly started another thread pointing to another new review here http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53260187

-- hide signature --

Stuart
Also at http://www.flickr.com/photos/dieselgolfer/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, please upgrade the FZ50

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic FZ2500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +2 more
GD1 Regular Member • Posts: 358
ZS40 vs HX50v

Now that the ZS40 is out and seeing some good pics from it.  I would love to know how it compares to the Sony HX50V (know there is an HX60v now, but not much different), as the HX50v is about $250 cheaper.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,192
Re: ZS40 vs HX50v

Many reviews I have read say the HX50v display is hopeless in bright sunlight so beware as normally reviewers ignore this. The TZ40 is very good so presumably the ZS40/TZ60 will be.

GD1 wrote:

Now that the ZS40 is out and seeing some good pics from it. I would love to know how it compares to the Sony HX50V (know there is an HX60v now, but not much different), as the HX50v is about $250 cheaper.

John McCormack Veteran Member • Posts: 5,857
Re: ZS40 vs Canon SX700

These vides and a few stills look very good for the most part. I'll be anxious to see reviews against the ZS40/TZ60.

Canon PowerShot SX700 HS - test

Short clip of SX700

Aberaeron Veteran Member • Posts: 6,748
Re: ZS40/TZ60 vs the competition

Graham Houghton is in the process of producing a series of video reviews and commentaries on this camera on his YouTube channel and blog. It will get more interesting as he delves more in-depth.

Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Sony SLT-A57 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro +21 more
Ianperegian
OP Ianperegian Veteran Member • Posts: 3,597

John McCormack wrote:

These vides and a few stills look very good for the most part. I'll be anxious to see reviews against the ZS40/TZ60.

Short clip of SX700

Yes John, it does look good, although it's hard to properly judge still image quality from a video.

I assume that Cameralabs will eventually compare the ZS40 with the SX700 and the Sony HX60V, since they did that with the previous models.

There's a video by Canon Japan about the SX700-HS here (unfortunately the text is in Japanese only). They compare the SX700 mounted side-by-side with the SX280.

Ian

-- hide signature --
 Ianperegian's gear list:Ianperegian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS60 Olympus PEN-F
dlethanol New Member • Posts: 23

I've just started using the SX700 - see sample shots / discussion here : http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53306223

dlethanol's gear list:dlethanol's gear list
PowerShot SX700 Canon EOS 6D
graham the red Regular Member • Posts: 317

There have been at least two reviews that would rather have the touch screen than the EVF , which they supposed was the choice for Panasonic. I have no idea about that but some time ago I made a decision to not ever buy a camera without a finder where the only option was a screen.

I don't care how good the screen is, the manufacturers took away viewfinders because they wanted to , not because the customers had been crying out for it. They take up valuable room and cost more also making the camera bigger and heavier etc. so they go and we have smaller lighter units and isn't that good?

Well no actually it isn't. I have , they tell me , good eyesight and in the sun, a screen is often quite useless, I've checked with others , concerned that it might be me and the consensus is that composing in sunlight is too often a guess. So the 60 becomes virtually a no brainer if that is the type of camera I want since all the likely contenders are screen only and usually fixed.

Give us back our viewfinders!

graham the red's gear list:graham the red's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-7
Ianperegian
OP Ianperegian Veteran Member • Posts: 3,597

dlethanol wrote:

I've just started using the SX700 - see sample shots / discussion here : http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53306223

Thanks for that. Your shots look very good; there’s just a little bit of blue fringing at full WA near the edges, but it’s not very noticeable.

I hope the battery issue has been solved, as I understand it was a major problem with the Canon SX280.

Ian

-- hide signature --
 Ianperegian's gear list:Ianperegian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS60 Olympus PEN-F
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,192

30x is stretching things a bit with no viewfinder. Do not forget that Canon do not necessarily leave the EVF out of these cameras because they are not needed but because Canon just have no expertise in this area.

John McCormack wrote:

Short clip of SX700

dale thorn Senior Member • Posts: 1,758

The basic image quality of my Canon SX280 is better than my Panasonic ZS40, so I would guess that the new SX700 will also be better. When the SX700 arrives I'll do the test shots and post them.

dale thorn's gear list:dale thorn's gear list
Leica D-Lux 6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Leica T
cainn24 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,892

graham the red wrote:

Couldn't agree more.  I just wont buy a camera that doesn't have a VF anymore.  When I see cameras like the Canon G1X Mark II released it makes me want to cry.  It could have been rather awesome if they'd taken an evolutionary rather than atavistic approach.

RayUK Senior Member • Posts: 1,037

I'm currently looking at the very much cheaper TZ55/ZS35 (see seperate thread) as it occurs to me that the variable LCD can help with sunlight problems, and also there's the possibility of controlling the camera via WiFi from a shady position. And lets not forget Eric's Clearviewer, unless you live in Europe !

Ray

Ianperegian. Thanks. The SX700 Smoked the SX280

It's obvious to me that the SX700 is superior to the SX280 in the video comparison. I must say I prefer Canon colors over Panny's.

Ianperegian wrote:

There's a video by Canon Japan about the SX700-HS here (unfortunately the text is in Japanese only). They compare the SX700 mounted side-by-side with the SX280.

Ian

21st Hermit Veteran Member • Posts: 5,470

graham the red wrote:

There have been at least two reviews that would rather have the touch screen than the EVF , which they supposed was the choice for Panasonic. I have no idea about that but some time ago I made a decision to not ever buy a camera without a finder where the only option was a screen.

I don't care how good the screen is, the manufacturers took away viewfinders because they wanted to , not because the customers had been crying out for it. They take up valuable room and cost more also making the camera bigger and heavier etc. so they go and we have smaller lighter units and isn't that good?

Well no actually it isn't. I have , they tell me , good eyesight and in the sun, a screen is often quite useless, I've checked with others , concerned that it might be me and the consensus is that composing in sunlight is too often a guess. So the 60 becomes virtually a no brainer if that is the type of camera I want since all the likely contenders are screen only and usually fixed.

Indeed!!!

-- hide signature --

Lost in the Colorado Mountains!!!

Re: ZS40/TZ60. Zoom Framing Assist ??

Does anyone know if the ZS40/TZ60 has a zoom framing assist button like the Canon SX50 and SX700? That is, a button that backs up the zoom quickly to allow you to see a wider field of view and then zoom back in on the target.

dale thorn Senior Member • Posts: 1,758
Re: ZS40/TZ60. Zoom Framing Assist ??

John McCormack wrote:

Does anyone know if the ZS40/TZ60 has a zoom framing assist button like the Canon SX50 and SX700? That is, a button that backs up the zoom quickly to allow you to see a wider field of view and then zoom back in on the target.

I don't recall anything like this having been through the manual and settings pretty thoroughly. Not on the ZS40, LF1, or LX7 etc.

But what I would really like is to have the LCD and EVF active at the same time and have one zoomed in and the other zoomed out. Or given that that might not be possible, be able to freeze one and have the other live. Not a perfect solution, but still useful.

dale thorn's gear list:dale thorn's gear list
Leica D-Lux 6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Leica T
Erik Ohlson
Erik Ohlson Forum Pro • Posts: 20,881

RayUK wrote:

I'm currently looking at the very much cheaper TZ55/ZS35 (see seperate thread) as it occurs to me that the variable LCD can help with sunlight problems, and also there's the possibility of controlling the camera via WiFi from a shady position. And lets not forget Eric's Clearviewer, unless you live in Europe !

Ray

Thanks for mentioning this, even though it's not "my" clearviewer, but another forum contributor name of "Gary"

Anyway, sorry to bring it up again, but I notice some new names here who may not have heard of this excellent add-on Viewfinder which not only makes the LCD into a wonderful, magnified full-res "EVF" but due to the position of one's hands and face (eye right up to the lens) blocks out glare:

In use, of course the right hand comes up completing the glare-block, and the eye comes right up to the magnifying lens, like a telescope.

Folded, it adds very little bulk (about 6-7mm):

So far, the best thing I know of that can happen to a P&S camera. Although I have advocated (and "lobbied for") an EVF on a travelzoom for years, I may wind up still using this on my ZS40, when I get one, it's that useful, IMHO.

-- hide signature --

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 15,966
LCD and EVF

graham the red wrote:

There have been at least two reviews that would rather have the touch screen than the EVF , which they supposed was the choice for Panasonic. I have no idea about that but some time ago I made a decision to not ever buy a camera without a finder where the only option was a screen.

Well no actually it isn't. I have , they tell me , good eyesight and in the sun, a screen is often quite useless, I've checked with others , concerned that it might be me and the consensus is that composing in sunlight is too often a guess.

Believe it or not, I never understood when folk say this, then I realized ( thanks to Erik), that these folk are holding the screen out around 12 to 16 inches!

I am just starting to get used to a EVF, been shooting only digital, since 2002.

Those who can shoot from 5  to 8 inches away, avoid the glare, and also gain more stability.

I am told as we get older , the ability to see things real close , change.

good thing is , it seems more manufacturers might start including EVF in smaller cameras.

hopefully high resolution.

ANAYV

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads