ZS40/TZ60 vs the competition

Started Feb 14, 2014 | Discussions
edhume
edhume Contributing Member • Posts: 649
Re: ZS40/TZ60 vs the competition

Ian. Thank you for putting these three together!

I infer from the Panasonic site that the ZS40 has a removable battery. Do we know if we can turn off the GPS?

The one thing that concerns me about this camera, compared with the ZS30, is the thickness. With the new lens, it is 34mm thick. My LX7 is hard to stuff in a pocket at 46mm (50mm with the auto-cap). The ZS30 is 28mm, so it might be a better pocket zoom, 22mm thinner than my current camera. The ZS40 is only 16mm thinner.

Decisions, decisions . . .

edhume's gear list:edhume's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 +3 more
Ianperegian
OP Ianperegian Veteran Member • Posts: 3,597

Hi Ed,

Yes, the ZS40 does have a removable battery, and I assume that like the ZS30 it is possible to switch off the GPS. I usually have the GPS switched off on my ZS30.

I don’t have an LX7, so I did a comparison image similar to the ones I’ve shown above, which hopefully could help you regarding the size question. (I compared the ZS30 and ZS40 above.)

The LX7 is 111 x 67 x 46 mm, and weighs 269g; the ZS40 is 111 x 64 x 35mm and weighs 240g. So, they are the same length, but the ZS40 is 3mm shorter in height and 11mm thinner (which is quite a bit) and somewhat lighter in weight.

This image when viewed at full size shows the ZS40 compared with the LX7 at actual sizes:

As you can see, the main bodies are not much different in thickness (the LX7 is about 2mm thicker) but the LX7 has a lens housing/ring which extends 20mm from the body (more with the cap). The housing/ring on the ZS40 extends only 10mm (and there is no cap). I think that would be the main factor affecting “pocketability” between the two models.

Ian

-- hide signature --
 Ianperegian's gear list:Ianperegian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS60 Olympus PEN-F
Ken Regular Member • Posts: 205

Does anyone have a idea what the street price will be for this camera?

I see everyone advertising it at $449 and I am assuming that is the MFG list price.

Ken

Cyril Catt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,716
Re: EVF and Battery Drain

Erik Ohlson wrote: [...]

An OVF always has parallax problems,

But, isn't parallax primarily a problem with relatively close subjects, where the difference of a couple of inches between the OVF and lens DO make a difference?

and is totally unsuited to long, & even moderate zooms.

My first digicam, a Kodak DC290, had an OVF that zoomed to match the lens coverage - but it cost me about $1400 AUD in 1999. Even then, with only about 2MP, the ability to immediately check my shots on the LCD, to get 92 pics on a "tiny" CF card - without having to cram my pockets with extra 36 frame cassettes of different ISO colour and mono films - and the ability to process and crop pictures on my computer, won me over to digital.--

Cyril

[...]

-- hide signature --

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

21st Hermit Veteran Member • Posts: 5,470
Re: Silver version

Ianperegian wrote:

Regarding the silver version, I recall someone commenting earlier that it might be hard to see the white labels on the shiny silver Mode dial. On the black version the labels are white on a black dial.

Rarely move the dial off "P", the one touch video allows presetting. Used to do a lot of panoramas, which required manual and fixed focus, but rarely these days.

To add to the size comparisons, this image when viewed at full size shows the ZS40 compared with the SX700 at actual size:

The only size that matters is the ASTM left pocket on my polo shirts. My Canon A710 fits, so any of these T-Z's will fit easily. All my long sleeve hiking shirts have much bigger pockets.

You're really into detailed analysis.

-- hide signature --

Lost in the Colorado Mountains!!!

Retail Price

Ken wrote:

I see everyone advertising it at $449 and I am assuming that is the MFG list price.

Ken

It's all a guess but this could be one of those rare cameras that hold the SRP for many months and will likely be on back order at that. So not unthinkable for it to sell at a premium on eBay.

I'm one of those who never pays SRP for anything and even I'm considering paying full boat $450. YMMV!

-- hide signature --

Erik Ohlson
Erik Ohlson Forum Pro • Posts: 20,634
Re: EVF and Battery Drain

Cyril Catt wrote:

Erik Ohlson wrote: [...]

An OVF always has parallax problems,

But, isn't parallax primarily a problem with relatively close subjects, where the difference of a couple of inches between the OVF and lens DO make a difference?

At first, it would seem to be a minor thing, but in practice - when 35mm and 126 P&S cameras were the rule,with their OVFs,  it was very common to have group photos with the tops of the heads cut off.

and is totally unsuited to long, & even moderate zooms.

My first digicam, a Kodak DC290, had an OVF that zoomed to match the lens coverage - but it cost me about $1400 AUD in 1999. Even then, with only about 2MP, the ability to immediately check my shots on the LCD, to get 92 pics on a "tiny" CF card - without having to cram my pockets with extra 36 frame cassettes of different ISO colour and mono films - and the ability to process and crop pictures on my computer, won me over to digital.--

"Long & even moderate zooms" was what I said.

OVFs were seen on small-range zooms - I have taken several apart, and the zooming OVFs are quite a complex maze of little plastic prisms and such.

I, personally, don't recall an OVF on more than a 5X zoom.

IMHO, an OVF for a ZS series camera would cost as much as the camera and still have "issues" with parallax and other innacuracies of aim.

Cyril

[...]

-- hide signature --

--

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"

Erik Ohlson
Erik Ohlson Forum Pro • Posts: 20,634
Re: Retail Price

21st Hermit wrote:

Ken wrote:

Ken

It's all a guess but this could be one of those rare cameras that hold the SRP for many months and will likely be on back order at that. So not unthinkable for it to sell at a premium on eBay.

I'm one of those who never pays SRP for anything and even I'm considering paying full boat $450. YMMV!

Agree, unfortunately I may have to "Pay Up", too     

-- hide signature --

Ianperegian
Re: Silver version

21st Hermit wrote:

Ianperegian wrote:

Regarding the silver version, I recall someone commenting earlier that it might be hard to see the white labels on the shiny silver Mode dial. On the black version the labels are white on a black dial.

Rarely move the dial off "P", the one touch video allows presetting. Used to do a lot of panoramas, which required manual and fixed focus, but rarely these days.

The only size that matters is the ASTM left pocket on my polo shirts. My Canon A710 fits, so any of these T-Z's will fit easily. All my long sleeve hiking shirts have much bigger pockets.

On those points I was thinking of other people too, especially those who are new to the TZs.

You're really into detailed analysis.

I’m retired and have the time.

Ian

-- hide signature --
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS60 Olympus PEN-F
Ianperegian

Erik Ohlson wrote:

21st Hermit wrote:

Ken wrote:

Ken

Agree, unfortunately I may have to "Pay Up", too

Actually, the original price was $499, and that was the price B&H first advertised it at, when they started taking pre-orders. They have recently come down to $449.

So, at $449 you are actually “saving” $50, if that’s any consolation.

Ian

-- hide signature --

Not really since you can buy it on the Panasonic website for $449... along with every other

website selling it...

I just received a email from B&H.  They told me Panasonic right now is dictating to them

the lowest possible selling price of $449  (right now..) They said they have not received

any notices from Panasonic about a sale. Sort of sucks in away but

that's just Panasonic keeping the price up and not letting the market determine

what the selling price will be.    I suppose it helps the little guy who can't sell at such

a deep discount as the big guys.   B&H is stating mid April for delivery.

I suppose if there is no discount and have to wait, I might just hang in there and

see if the local BestBuy will carry it.  Have to pay the taxes but I look at it

as insurance in case it doesn't work out of the box

Ken

I just thinking about my own post....   If Panasonic sells it for the same price on their

own website how does that help any dealer if Panasonic prevents them for discounting..

Ken

RemyW Regular Member • Posts: 187

Apparently it costs more to ship to Europe, or we got a seasalt-tax. The only price I have seen so far is 449 EURO's in NL. A money exchange bureau would be happy with such a US$ to EUR conversion profit...

RemyW's gear list:RemyW's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic ZS100
Isola Verde
Isola Verde Veteran Member • Posts: 8,849

RemyW wrote:

Apparently it costs more to ship to Europe, or we got a seasalt-tax. The only price I have seen so far is 449 EURO's in NL. A money exchange bureau would be happy with such a US$ to EUR conversion profit...

Plus, perhaps, a new copy of Lightroom / Photoshop / Elements etc... for if and when there's a version capable of handling those RAW files?

Peter

Isola Verde's gear list:Isola Verde's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Samsung NX3000 Samsung 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 power zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +20 more
Ianperegian

Ken wrote:

Not really since you can buy it on the Panasonic website for $449... along with every other

website selling it...

Well, as I said above, B&H advertised it a few weeks ago for pre-order it at $499, and they confirmed that in an advice to me by email. Their price has since come down to $449.

I just received a email from B&H. They told me Panasonic right now is dictating to them

the lowest possible selling price of $449 (right now..) They said they have not received

any notices from Panasonic about a sale. Sort of sucks in away but

that's just Panasonic keeping the price up and not letting the market determine

what the selling price will be. I suppose it helps the little guy who can't sell at such

a deep discount as the big guys. B&H is stating mid April for delivery.

I suppose if there is no discount and have to wait, I might just hang in there and

see if the local BestBuy will carry it. Have to pay the taxes but I look at it

as insurance in case it doesn't work out of the box

Maybe it makes it sound not so bad for you if you know that in Australia the price is Au $600.

Ian

-- hide signature --
Ianperegian

RemyW wrote:

Ouch!! That’s US $615. The price in Australia for the TZ60 is Au $600 (US $540), and in the UK it is GBP 350 (US $585). It’s hard to understand how such large differences in prices can be justified.

Ian

-- hide signature --
RemyW Regular Member • Posts: 187

Ianperegian wrote:

RemyW wrote:

Ouch!! That’s US $615. The price in Australia for the TZ60 is Au $600 (US $540), and in the UK it is GBP 350 (US $585). It’s hard to understand how such large differences in prices can be justified.

Ian

Ah, wait, they just changed it to 399 EUR (excl shipping) in NL, which is about US$546, still about US$100 more than the US price...

Like I said, my only guess to the price difference is the seasalt-tax. We have to pay for all the extra seasalt that is accumulated on the way here by boat...

RemyW's gear list:RemyW's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic ZS100

RemyW wrote:

Ah, wait, they just changed it to 399 EUR (excl shipping) in NL, which is about US$546, still about US$100 more than the US price...

Like I said, my only guess to the price difference is the seasalt-tax. We have to pay for all the extra seasalt that is accumulated on the way here by boat...

Aren't there VAT's and import duties in the EU to account for the additional price? Most USA buyers pay a sales tax on top of the SRP.

-- hide signature --

MarioV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,762

Ianperegian wrote

Actually, the original price was $499, and that was the price B&H first advertised it at, when they started taking pre-orders. They have recently come down to $449.

So, at $449 you are actually “saving” $50, if that’s any consolation.

Ian

Going by their prices, and based on the ridiculous 599 aus price for the TZ60, the SX700  should be around $459.

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D5200 Canon EOS M100 +1 more
Ianperegian

RemyW wrote:

Ianperegian wrote:

RemyW wrote:

Ian

Well, the cameras are made in Japan, so the shipping distances don’t account for the differences. Maybe the sea is much saltier near the Netherlands?

Getting back to reality, we pay 10% GST (= VAT) but that only explains half of the difference. I think though that in Europe your VAT is even higher.

Ian

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads