sony 24-70 FE it's not perfect

Started Feb 14, 2014 | Discussions
TommieH Regular Member • Posts: 311
Re: sony 24-70 FE it's not perfect

stevo23 wrote:

ianbrown wrote:

There are many opinions starting to form of this lens and I am so surprised that people expect this to be a wonder lens! yes it's not cheap but it's still a zoom lens and zooms are a compromise.

So if you expect tack sharp images accross the frame at large apertures then you may be disappointed!

This lens is versatile and will give you much sharper images than the kit lens especially in the corners but don't expect it to give you prime performance.

At £1049 it's good value when you compare with Canon and Nikon but just dont expect a new level of performance.

Ian

Well said. I can say that the Canon 24-70 2.8 probably outperforms it - but at 2x the price.

This 24-70 should be compared to the Canon 24-70 f/4 and at that, I personally like it better.

This being said, I'm normally not a zoom guy and this one is no exception. When I already have fairly lightweight primes that beat it, I end up leaving the zoom at home. Not a zoom guy.

Canon 24-70 4 L IS USM $1300
Canon 24-70 2.8 L USM $1900
Canon 24-70 2.8 L II USM $2800
Tamron 24-70 2.8 Di VC USD $1300 (for Canon)

Sony FE 24-70 ZA OSS Tessar T* $1800

I wouldn't say the FE 24-70 is great value. Especially compared to the sharp Tamron 24-70.

Just compare Canon 24-70 L II USM to the much cheaper Tamron:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=787&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=786&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

It doesn't make the FE 24-70 seem to offer great value.

On another note one could argue that people buying the Sony FF really care for image quality and in that regard the 24-70 really doesn't seem to cut it. Especially for those buying the A7R that pretty much is only focused on IQ and sharpness.

-- hide signature --

Tommie

Ross Warner Senior Member • Posts: 1,326

???

Sony FE 24-70 ZA OSS Tessar T* is $1200 USD, not $1800.

Ross Warner's gear list:Ross Warner's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +6 more
pako
pako Senior Member • Posts: 1,898

ianbrown wrote:

There are many opinions starting to form of this lens and I am so surprised that people expect this to be a wonder lens! yes it's not cheap but it's still a zoom lens and zooms are a compromise.

So if you expect tack sharp images accross the frame at large apertures then you may be disappointed!

This lens is versatile and will give you much sharper images than the kit lens especially in the corners but don't expect it to give you prime performance.

At £1049 it's good value when you compare with Canon and Nikon but just dont expect a new level of performance.

Ian

You can apply what you said to every single lens from every single manufacturer...

I tried the 24-70 f2.8 on the A7R and I'm so gratefully surprised of its quality -until then, I was using legacy lenses, Minolta MD/MC primes, that are OK, but not as clear as the Sony/Zeiss. Adorama Rentals will have the FE lens available soon, that I'm planning to get and try before I decide to buy it.

-- hide signature --

Pako Dominguez
-----------------------
www.phototeka.net

pako's gear list:pako's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony a7R Sony a7S II Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +18 more
Paul Richman
Paul Richman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,022
It's a much more perfect 28-60mm Zoom

... than 24-70.

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul
http://PixelsByPaul.500px.COM
"There's a good picture nearby. Find it. Take it. Share it."

Paul Richman's gear list:Paul Richman's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital 300mm 1:2.8 +11 more
OP ianbrown Senior Member • Posts: 1,969

miro3 wrote:

ianbrown wrote:

miro3 wrote:

ianbrown wrote:

Ian

Why do you care if you say you sold your A7 and A7r?

I don't think you still have to own the camera to make a valid contribution ?

Ian

And what contribution is that?

A contribution based on generalities?

Nobody cares about such a "contribution."

Is this your opinion or do you speak for everyone? Lol

Ian

TommieH Regular Member • Posts: 311

Ross Warner wrote:

???

Sony FE 24-70 ZA OSS Tessar T* is $1200 USD, not $1800.

I converted the swedish prices (SEK) to USD and the prices are with taxes included.

-- hide signature --

Tommie

Tom Ames Senior Member • Posts: 1,270

ianbrown wrote:

miro3 wrote:

ianbrown wrote:

miro3 wrote:

ianbrown wrote:

Ian

Why do you care if you say you sold your A7 and A7r?

I don't think you still have to own the camera to make a valid contribution ?

Ian

And what contribution is that?

A contribution based on generalities?

Nobody cares about such a "contribution."

Is this your opinion or do you speak for everyone? Lol

Ian

He speaks for everyone.

Tom Ames's gear list:Tom Ames's gear list
Nikon D810 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm GFX 50R Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +12 more
Trollmann Senior Member • Posts: 1,311

Speaking for myself - the 24-70 lens IS perfect! Rather compact, light weight, superb zoom range, excellent flare control, decent optics and a fair price nails it for me. Deal!

Guess a flawless lens would never be considered perfect given the asking price!

Well - now I have uttered a word and the other guy may keep on talking for the rest...

anagram4wander2 Regular Member • Posts: 324

What was the question again. ?? I must have missed it.

anagram4wander2's gear list:anagram4wander2's gear list
Sony a7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
Mike Fewster Veteran Member • Posts: 6,899
Re: Check the performance of the RX1 wide open.

David28 wrote:

ianbrown wrote:

Ian

Ian

I don't think anyone in their right mind really "expects tack sharp across the frame at large aperture" ....... I mean how can you? A typical scene rarely yield a flat plane to line up with the sensor and at something like f4 and centre focus, it would be unreasonable to also be upset when edges and corners dont carry the same sharpness. Simply physics no?

As for perfect lenses, I don't believe I have had the pleasure of coming across such an animal yet in my years of shooting and I have had the good fortune to own some fine lenses and still do.

I have found that I have had the greatest enjoyment when I temper my own unrealistic expectation surrounding my gear as well as around my own abilities.

Sincerely

David

And the RX1 wide open is f2

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Mike Fewster's gear list:Mike Fewster's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II
GaryW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,705

Keit ll wrote:

Ian asked a valid question. This zoom has been criticised elsewhere for smeared edges even at less than maximum aperture. Final judgements cannot be made until it is certain what difference optimum distortion correction makes .

Lenses at such prices are bound to get harsher criticism than budget versions.

But here on the DPR forums, even budget lenses are highly criticized.  I had a quick look, and you had posted in the past about the 55-210 being "soft in the long end", as an example.  Nothing is safe from criticism!

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 +8 more
Son Of Mustang Ford Contributing Member • Posts: 792

Keit ll wrote:

Ian asked a valid question. This zoom has been criticised elsewhere for smeared edges even at less than maximum aperture. Final judgements cannot be made until it is certain what difference optimum distortion correction makes .

Lenses at such prices are bound to get harsher criticism than budget versions.

He didn't ask a question - he made a statement.

Sabud Contributing Member • Posts: 553

My plan was to buy the A7 for hiking with the 24-70/4 but now I'm not sure.

Chad Hardy
Chad Hardy Senior Member • Posts: 1,192

We hiked in Hawaii a couple of months ago and I took maybe 2 zoom shots with a NEX6 - 18-200 telephoto (tamron).  Everything will be as wide as you can go, so watch performance at 24mm.  If you don't like it, then just get the 35mm prime, it will be solid.  Also you should be around f8 anyway so it is probably solid at 24mm as well.

Chad Hardy's gear list:Chad Hardy's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Sony RX100 III Olympus E-M1 +16 more
Hawaii-geek
Hawaii-geek Veteran Member • Posts: 8,066
OLY 12-40 f2.8 ZOOM and the FE 24-70mm edges at 24mm

True it's FF and tried to keep it small  ... and the price is really not bad.

But, OLY Zooms has shown what zooms can do. (not FF) ... sharp across the frame and Wide OPEN at any FL.

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1641/cat/15

then there is all those Holly Trinity Nikon f2.8 zooms ... but big.

It will also be interesting when Sigma ships there f1.8 Full Frame 24-70mm  ZOOM.  at what price.

The standards are changing. with computer aided design

Just think it could have been a  bit sharper out at the edges at 24mm  wide open.

HG

ianbrown wrote:

Ian

-- hide signature --
 Hawaii-geek's gear list:Hawaii-geek's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7R +20 more
Fred Briggs
Fred Briggs Senior Member • Posts: 1,023

ianbrown wrote:

Ian

Just got mine (paid £999) and pretty much agree with your assessment. I also have the 28-70 kit so have done some quick comparisons today to see if my investment has been worth it!

Overall I would say that at 24mm it is not going to satisfy landscape shooters, but for everything else it is pretty good, and a definite improvement, albeit not that big an improvement on the kit lens. Both are very good in the centre. The 24-70 extends sharpness nearer to the edges than the kit, and is much better, though still not great, in the corners. It don't know whether it is colour or contrast or both, but the 24-70 also has a bit more of that elusive 3D effect in the images.

For most types of subject this will be a great take everywhere lens, and is small and light enough not to compromise the unique FF portability selling point of the A7(R). The small increase in size and weight over the kit is hardly noticeable.

However, I will be looking forward with interest to the rumored 16-35mm wide angle, and hope that it will be at least as good as the 10-18mm which I currently own and which does quite well on the A7.

Fred

-- hide signature --

"We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky." Leonard Cohen c1967

Fred Briggs's gear list:Fred Briggs's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
KwhyChang Veteran Member • Posts: 5,928

Sabud wrote:

My plan was to buy the A7 for hiking with the 24-70/4 but now I'm not sure.

I've been having second thoughts too. I think I've decided to try it out for myself.

-- hide signature --

Dave

gatorengineer Regular Member • Posts: 118
Re: OLY 12-40 f2.8 ZOOM and the FE 24-70mm edges at 24mm

I am still learning photography, and would like to know what you would shoot at 24mm wide open, that a great corner really would be required for...  cant really come up with a scenario...

Sabud Contributing Member • Posts: 553

Big,big problems to find a top notch 24-50......70/4 for the A7 / A7r or a 18-50 for the new a6000.

To be truth, I have some thoughts about the 18-55/2,8-4 and the new X-T1 (Fuji)

Jacimi Regular Member • Posts: 106

Fred Briggs wrote:

ianbrown wrote:

Ian

Just got mine (paid £999) and pretty much agree with your assessment. I also have the 28-70 kit so have done some quick comparisons today to see if my investment has been worth it!

Overall I would say that at 24mm it is not going to satisfy landscape shooters, but for everything else it is pretty good, and a definite improvement, albeit not that big an improvement on the kit lens. Both are very good in the centre. The 24-70 extends sharpness nearer to the edges than the kit, and is much better, though still not great, in the corners. It don't know whether it is colour or contrast or both, but the 24-70 also has a bit more of that elusive 3D effect in the images.

For most types of subject this will be a great take everywhere lens, and is small and light enough not to compromise the unique FF portability selling point of the A7(R). The small increase in size and weight over the kit is hardly noticeable.

However, I will be looking forward with interest to the rumored 16-35mm wide angle, and hope that it will be at least as good as the 10-18mm which I currently own and which does quite well on the A7.

Fred

Fred could you post some pics of the same scene with kit vs 24-70? That would be a big help.

Jacimi's gear list:Jacimi's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 35mm F1.4 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads