D5200 Suddenly Refuses Non-Nikon Battery

Started Feb 12, 2014 | Discussions
binaryfinary Junior Member • Posts: 33
D5200 Suddenly Refuses Non-Nikon Battery

I've got a Hahnel HL-EL14 battery for my Nikon D5200. Slightly longer life than the Nikon version, cheaper too, came highly recommended.

I last used it last week, it worked fine, everything good. Then today I go to plug it in, and I get a message "This Battery Cannot Be Used, Choose A Battery Designated For Use In This Camera".

To say I'm fuming is an understatement. To clarify -

I haven't updated any firmware or connected the camera to anything that could have altered any settings. I haven't even used a wi-fi adapter, which could technically allow Nikon to hack into my camera remotely and stop me using 3rd party batteries (of course, that's the realms of fantasy, but you get my point).

What is going on? I'm guessing it's a quick fix.

I haven't tried to use it with the adapter which connects it to my DSLR rig battery. If I can't use that, I'll probably be imprisoned for ramming my car into Nikon's UK office.

Nikon D5200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
nplanet Regular Member • Posts: 160
Re: D5200 Suddenly Refuses Non-Nikon Battery

Yes, Nikon killed all third party batteries with their last firmware update. NikonRumors had several posts on that topic.

eddyshoots Senior Member • Posts: 2,178

binaryfinary wrote:

I've got a Hahnel HL-EL14 battery for my Nikon D5200. Slightly longer life than the Nikon version, cheaper too, came highly recommended.

I last used it last week, it worked fine, everything good. Then today I go to plug it in, and I get a message "This Battery Cannot Be Used, Choose A Battery Designated For Use In This Camera".

I haven't updated any firmware or connected the camera to anything that could have altered any settings. I haven't even used a wi-fi adapter, which could technically allow Nikon to hack into my camera remotely and stop me using 3rd party batteries (of course, that's the realms of fantasy, but you get my point).

I haven't tried to use it with the adapter which connects it to my DSLR rig battery. If I can't use that, I'll probably be imprisoned for ramming my car into Nikon's UK office.

Nikon has taken a more aggressive stance in regards to third party manufacturers. Scroll down through the Nikon forums lots of recent compatibility;
* My Tamron lens won't work with N1 camera
* Lots of Sigma compatibility problems
* Third party battery issues with firmware updates.
It all appears to have started when Nikon sued Sigma for patent infringement over their implementation of VR/OS. Nikon lost. Like a spoiled little child, Nikon has been lashing out with every new release. It's only going to get worse.

While Nikon has no obligation to make it easy for third party manufacturers to make accessories for their cameras, it is crossing a line to actually sabotage existing equipment via malware like firmware updates. They are actively vandalizing their own customers camera bags. Shameful.

I have no idea how your camera could have done this without a firmware update. I wish you luck in finding a solution.

If Nikon keeps it up with these hijinks I'll be changing my DPReview handle to eddyshootscanon.
--
eddyshoots

OP binaryfinary Junior Member • Posts: 33

To make clear - I have NOT UPDATED FIRMWARE.

This would suggest I have, I haven't even downloaded the latest firmware, the camera hasn't been out of my sight or possession (so no one else has inadvertently done it).

As you guys say, that means this is one hell of a mystery. I'm actually thinking that maybe Nikon do have something crafty up their sleeve.

Hacking computers with files they know are from Nikon cameras, adding firmware to SD cards mounted on those computers which then uploads itself when the SD card is next put into the camera? It sounds mental, but its all I can think of.

Whenever I read stuff like I'm writing here on a forum, I always think "yeah right, stupid ba&tard has OBVIOUSLY updated firmware or done something which updates it automatically, or lent the camera to Uncle Bob who updated it thinking he was doing a favour".

But I swear on the life of my unborn children, I've done NOTHING that could have caused this. I actually read via the Nikon Rumours newsletter than the new firmware updates for the D5200 would cause this issue, so I've avoided it for that reason.

I'm going to try it with my camera rig tomorrow, and if that doesn't work, we're in really bad territory. I've a lot to lose if that rig doesn't work, and if I lose that, I've nothing left, so I don't care. I like Nikon gear, but when they actively try to bankrupt me, they're in for a rough ride.

mistermejia Veteran Member • Posts: 3,340
WOW!!

eddyshoots wrote:

binaryfinary wrote:

Nikon has taken a more aggressive stance in regards to third party manufacturers. Scroll down through the Nikon forums lots of recent compatibility;
* My Tamron lens won't work with N1 camera
* Lots of Sigma compatibility problems
* Third party battery issues with firmware updates.
It all appears to have started when Nikon sued Sigma for patent infringement over their implementation of VR/OS. Nikon lost. Like a spoiled little child, Nikon has been lashing out with every new release. It's only going to get worse.

While Nikon has no obligation to make it easy for third party manufacturers to make accessories for their cameras, it is crossing a line to actually sabotage existing equipment via malware like firmware updates. They are actively vandalizing their own customers camera bags. Shameful.

I have no idea how your camera could have done this without a firmware update. I wish you luck in finding a solution.

If Nikon keeps it up with these hijinks I'll be changing my DPReview handle to eddyshootscanon.
--
eddyshoots

That's pretty sad.

Sigma lenses are one of THE sharpest around for high resolution cameras.   So if nikon is not making any new high quality zoom lenses for its newer models that keep coming out every six months, what then?  Yaikes!!

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 7,733

Have you thought that possibly the battery has gone bad?

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +23 more
Holmes375
Holmes375 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,064

Paul Pasco wrote:

My thoughts, too.  I'd wager there has been a failure of the calibration chip within the battery itself.

-- hide signature --
Jimmy K.
Jimmy K. Senior Member • Posts: 1,021

Holmes375 wrote:

Paul Pasco wrote:

My thoughts, too. I'd wager there has been a failure of the calibration chip within the battery itself.

OP, if you haven't updated anything on the camera, then the change is likely failure in the battery.

I haven't had good experience with 3rd party batteries, even supposedly name brands, like Lenmar. I have not heard of Hahnel, so I don't know about this brand.

When I had issues with 3rd party batteries, the batteries suddenly stop working and cannot be charged.  There is no decrease in capacity or warning that something is going wrong.  Unfortunately, this occurred very early on, just 3 or 6 months.  Lenmar did honor warranty and replace the bad batteries twice.  But to me it is just not worth the trouble saving $20 going with 3rd party batteries.

Jimmy K.'s gear list:Jimmy K.'s gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
johan2na New Member • Posts: 1

I have a Nikon D 5100 and the same happened to me. I have had a Digipower listed as a proper replacement for the Nikon battery. No problem for the 2 years I have used it, until a couple of days ago.....This battery cannot be used etc.....

I have not updated, downloaded anything. Have used my camera the same way for 2 years. Never had a problem.

Weird!!

BirgerH
BirgerH Veteran Member • Posts: 5,904

johan2na wrote:

I have a Nikon D 5100 and the same happened to me. I have had a Digipower listed as a proper replacement for the Nikon battery. No problem for the 2 years I have used it, until a couple of days ago.....This battery cannot be used etc.....

I have not updated, downloaded anything. Have used my camera the same way for 2 years. Never had a problem.

Weird!!

A question: Where do you find a list of "proper replacements for Nikon Batteries" - and who did that list - I certainly would like to know.

Without any updating, have you had the thought, that the battery just doesn't Work anymore - not properly anyway, does DigiPower guarantees two years of battery-life? Nikon batteries are estimated four years, as far as I remember, but not guaranteed, I assume.

BirgerH.

BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
Kaso Veteran Member • Posts: 4,484

binaryfinary wrote:

I'm afraid you're getting too emotional over this situation. The camera said it could not operate with the battery inserted -- where the camera found the power to post a message on the rear LCD is beyond me, or the fact that the camera did draw power from a bad battery to complain about the bad battery itself is way beyond me.

This situation got escalated into a dire warning about evil Nikon not being compatible with any third-party products. Running to safer Canon? Hah, from one Japanese daddy to another. So ugly.

Anyway, I suppose you could always charge up the battery that originally came with the box, and use it. As some have suggested, it is likely that the third-party battery has gone bad -- period.

Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 26,467
Fair

Fair advice...OP hasn't posted in 8 months though. Hope he gets it.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

BirgerH
BirgerH Veteran Member • Posts: 5,904
Re: Fair

Mako2011 wrote:

Fair advice...OP hasn't posted in 8 months though. Hope he gets it.

LOL - Mako - but it could be the answer to the "new OP".

BirgerH.

BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
typhoto New Member • Posts: 1

Yes, Nikon killed all third party batteries with their last firmware update. NikonRumors had several posts on that topic.

I am having the same problem. This watson battery has been working last six months and I have never updated the firmware. Today I just put the battery in and screen shows the txt as " the battery is not recognized" please use the proper one, etc."
The battery came as an additional promotion package by B&H where I bought the camera in New York.
Is this normal? Will I ever be able to use this battery? Is there any hack or cheat to this?

Nama New Member • Posts: 1

binaryfinary wrote:

I've got a u5200. Slightly longer life than the Nikon version, cheaper too, came highly recommended.

Hi binaryfinary

I HAVE NEVER UPDATED MY D3200 OR ANY OF MY OTHER 2 NIKON CAMERAS.

I too have a Hahnel HL-EL14 battery for my Nikon D3200. Tonight it failed me.

Long Story:
On the day I bought my D3200, I bought 2 extra Hahnel HL-EL14 batteries. I bought 1 for my ex girlfriend (who owns a D5100) and 1 for me. When she moved out she took my original Nikon charger with her and refused to return it.

I put my D3200 in storage for a few months while I begged for my Nikon charger.
Finally I gave up begging and bought a Hahnel Ultima Plus charger.

The charger worked well on both the original Nikon battery and the Hahnel battery.

Tonight I went to shoot a friend’s daughters Matric Ball (prom) While trying to shoot a video my Nikon battery died. No problem. I simply removed the Nikon battery and popped in the Hahnel battery.

The cameras menu showed up but with a message “this battery cannot be used choose battery for use in this camera”

Took a look around on the Internet and found this and other forums where people have the same problems.

I remembered seeing a modified firmware for the D3200 somewhere on the Internet. This firmware switches off the battery check.

I have never tried any of the original Nikon firmware updates so I’m not in a hurry to try this one.

The Solution:
I removed the Hahnel battery and cleaned the battery terminals with a razor blade. Put the battery back in my D3200 and now my fake battery works again.

Binaryfinary, I hope that you have not thrown that battery way jet!

shutterbugshell New Member • Posts: 1

I have good news for you. I have experienced the same problem on a couple of occasions. Both times I did the following: Reset the camera. Hold down the menu button and the info button at the same time. Hold it down for a couple of seconds. Camera will turn off then on again, and both times the batteries ounce more worked. Hope this helps. I think it will.

Deborah A New Member • Posts: 1

This worked for me! And this was the error on the original Nikon Battery, possibly charged it too long.😩

madecov
madecov Veteran Member • Posts: 5,988

I purchased a DTSE  battery and it came with a charger. I use the factory Nikon charger and everything was fine. Use the third party charger and everything went haywire.  Back to the Nikon charger and all is well. Maybe there is some firmware in the charger that scrambles the battery chi.p

madecov's gear list:madecov's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +15 more
JLBROWN3 Regular Member • Posts: 226

Use Nikon batteries then your problems are solved. I've bought 3rd party batteries before, some good, some not, but if I have "lots" riding on this equipment, then to me, this should be a no-brainer. It is strange though.

Jimusny
Jimusny Senior Member • Posts: 2,043

I just updated firmware on my d7100 just  before looking at this thread, so I tried one of my third party batteries and it still works.. I just use it as a spare to my two nikon ones anyway

Jimusny's gear list:Jimusny's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Olympus E-M1 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads