Canon 5Dii off camera flash using Metz 58 AF-2, having problems - please help!

Started Feb 12, 2014 | Discussions
wolf666 New Member • Posts: 4
Canon 5Dii off camera flash using Metz 58 AF-2, having problems - please help!

Hello!

I'm using a canon 5Dii and have a Metz 58 AF-2 digital flash. I need to use it off camera on a tripod but cannot get this to work!?

As there isn't a pop up flash with the canon 5dii, is there any other way to trigger the flash wirelessly? I have 2 pocket wizards and can connect one into my camera's hot shoe, but there is no way to attach the other wizard to the flash on the tripod as it only appears to accept a USB wire to download and update software.

Please can anyone help? I'm stumped! Is my only option to buy another Metz flash for the top of my camera to trigger the wireless? If so - will any model of Metz work?

I have a great Minolta digital flash and tried using the Metz on my camera hotshoe to trigger the Minolta flash off camera, but this didn't work either!!

Thanks in advance.

hpjfromdk Regular Member • Posts: 454
Re: Canon 5Dii off camera flash using Metz 58 AF-2, having problems - please help!

I do not know the type of pocket wizard you have, but those i know have a 1/8" mini jack socket in which you insert a flash sync cable with hotshoe. There exists several types of these, to get an idea try google for "pocketwizard HSFM3"..

You then put the first pocket wizard on the camera hot shoe, plug the sync cable jack into the second wizard , mount the sync cable hotshoe on the tripod and place your flash unit in that hotshoe (make sure you use the same address on the both wizards)....voila...

This will work with most types of flashes that use a ISO 518 hotshoe (not sony/minolta but you can buy a mechanical hotshoe adapter for this purpose)

If you wanted to use also you minolta flash, you should could try google for "optical slave hotshoe sony". These devices have a small opto trigger buitl into the hotshoe that will fire when another flash fires .. or you could add another pocket wizard and a sync cable with hotshoe of suitable type..

Note that in this type scenario you work with your flash(es) set to manual...

Hope that helps

~ hans ~

hpjfromdk's gear list:hpjfromdk's gear list
Sony RX100 IV
Howard S Senior Member • Posts: 2,112
Re: Canon 5Dii off camera flash using Metz 58 AF-2, having problems - please help!

wolf666 wrote:

Hello!

I'm using a canon 5Dii and have a Metz 58 AF-2 digital flash. I need to use it off camera on a tripod but cannot get this to work!?

I have the 52AF-1 and use it with Phottix odins and Yongnuo RF-602 triggers. It simply mounts in the hotshoe on the receivers and the receivers have the standard screw socket in addition to a foot such as the one on your flash..

As there isn't a pop up flash with the canon 5dii, is there any other way to trigger the flash wirelessly? I have 2 pocket wizards and can connect one into my camera's hot shoe, but there is no way to attach the other wizard to the flash on the tripod as it only appears to accept a USB wire to download and update software.

Please can anyone help? I'm stumped! Is my only option to buy another Metz flash for the top of my camera to trigger the wireless? If so - will any model of Metz work?

I have a great Minolta digital flash and tried using the Metz on my camera hotshoe to trigger the Minolta flash off camera, but this didn't work either!!

Thanks in advance.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads