What would more MP mean to you ?

Started Feb 12, 2014 | Discussions
dzeanah Regular Member • Posts: 340
Re: What would more MP mean to you ?

Occasionally I print big - the largest on my wall is 30x40", but most are closer to 20x30".

More MP means more pixels to work with, which means greater enlargements and more flexibility in cropping an image for display.

I'm all for more mexapixels, as long as the sensor doesn't outresolve the glass.  I don't care to upgrade my Fuji glass at this point.  

-- hide signature --

Derek

dzeanah's gear list:dzeanah's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +3 more
Marcos Villaroman Veteran Member • Posts: 5,172
Bragging Rights, Buy More Glass

Given the performance of the Sony sensors found in the D800 and A7R, I would say more MP would mean the existence of a newer sensor design (i.e., the updated sensor will have other qualities than just more MP), and we could leave the arguments that Fuji makes more bodies based on old sensors, milking things.

Landscape guys would appreciate more MP.

But, most importantly, if the MP increase is big enough like it was for the D800, your lens better be top notch to support the higher resolution.  Otherwise, time to buy more glass. 

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +48 more
nixda Veteran Member • Posts: 5,515
Re: I want more

Les Lammers wrote:

nixda wrote:

As primarily a landscape shooter, I'd be very interested in higher pixel densities, as long as the IQ doesn't suffer.

I think the sweet spot for APS-C is 24 MP, not 16 MP.

All the 'disadvantages' you have listed will be made up for by improvements in the respective areas. For example, files get bigger, so do hard drives; it takes more time to write, but processors get faster, so it won't; existing lenses are good enough, for the most part, etc.

Maybe, maybe not. Personally. I'm thinking about a Sigma DP Merrill for landscape. Close to MF results for not a lot of $$$.

The Foveon sensors prove that higher pixel densities have clear advantages, if they could only keep up with IQ at higher ISO's, but when ETTR that becomes largely moot. So, yes, more MPs please

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
Aethon Regular Member • Posts: 319

I don't actually see very many people clamoring for more pixels. I actually see more people like yourself working themselves into a frenzy that they might have to buy a bigger hard drive.

Oh, and I see an awful lot of condescension to people who ask about more pixels, especially from "working pros" towards mere "consumers". Naturally, the "consumers" are viewed as only being motivated by the influence of marketing, whereas the "working pros" are super-rational, yet somehow end up buying exactly the same cameras as the sheep-like "consumers".

What's funny is that the "working pros" who are "out taking pictures" have plenty of time to come on the forum to panic about "magnified vibration" from a higher pixel-count.

Really, guys. You need to get over yourselves.

dark13star
dark13star Senior Member • Posts: 1,703
Magenta Cast w/ WA Lenses

I had a Sony Nex-7 before the Fuji and the 24mp there were not worth the trade-off of increased noise and magenta cast with wide-angle lenses. I have a Nikon D600 as well and my Fuji prints look as good as my Nikon prints do. I print up to 13x19".

As others have said, I'd prefer advancements in dynamic range over megapixels, but I also wouldn't mind more cropping ability if there are not trade-offs.

Rich

-- hide signature --

"I would be an historian as Herodotus was." -Charles Olson
http://herodot.us

dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +12 more
gerard boulanger Senior Member • Posts: 2,262
Assuming the same size of sensor and same technology...

... it means larger files, non necessary number of pixels (for me), more noise, less DR, use of top both lenses.

gerard boulanger's gear list:gerard boulanger's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
kodachromeguy Contributing Member • Posts: 785
Re: What would more HP mean to you ?

You are being too logical. It is similar to the endless complaints that people want more horsepower, or bigger alloy wheels with ever-wider tires on their crossovers. But at least more megapixels in a camera could potentially be beneficial for creative work.

-- hide signature --

The Kodachromeguy

justin_time Contributing Member • Posts: 782
Re: 32MP minimum but 128MP would be better.

More MP would mean lower noise.

Hear me out.

According to internet it is best to print at 360dpi on my epson R3000.

13*19 inch print at 360dpi (assume 1 pixel per dot) is 32MP. 
So to not lose anything 32MP sensor would be nice.
But you could go further. 32MP may be good at base ISO, but noise will be introduced at higher amplifications.  So what I'd really like is to pixel bin 4 into 1 to reduce noise AND still retain 32MP.  
So thats 128MP.
Given I want camera to be fast / responsive (& not need supercomputer for PP)  it might take a decade or 2 to be feasible, but it may be possible in my lifetime (if all goes well).
Of course there is the argument over lens resolution. But where limit sensors to the optical limits of lenses. To my mind you push each leg in the chain as far as it can go,

Right best get the crash helmet / flame proof overalls on!

justin_time's gear list:justin_time's gear list
Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +7 more
masterofdeception Regular Member • Posts: 268

Agree with this.  Most people, including me, don't need more MP, but some people think they do because more of anything is better right?  Anyway there are tons of choices out there, so if you need more MP, because you print gigantic billboards or whatever, then go buy a more MP camera. Same old story, right tools for the job. For me, the attraction of the Fuji X is great IQ for a relatively low price and half the weight.  Please Fuji don't lose these advantages for the sake of a few people who want to continue the MP war.

Sal Baker Veteran Member • Posts: 9,992

If technology advances allowed for the same DR and noise specs as we have now, I would would welcome a 24mp sensor.  Always useful for large landscape prints.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +7 more
nick_webster
OP nick_webster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,623
What are the benefits of 24 MP ?

Why do you think there are any benefits to having 24 MP compared with the 16 MP that Fuji use now ? That was the point of my OP

I mentioned some downsides, that may or may not be an issue to anyone, but after about 10MP I have failed to see any difference in the output of my cameras over the years for my use. What are you going to be doing that having 24MP would aid you ?

I'm not sure why people are sensitive about more MP - it seems a fairly unemotional topic to me.

Nick

nick_webster
You discount my disadvantages, but ...

To get around slower processing, bigger files etc. I would have to buy new equipment. I don't want to have to upgrade my computer every time I get a new camera

Out of interest how large are you printing that you feel more MP would be an advantage ? How closely are you going to be viewing those prints to see any difference ?

Nick

nick_webster
I'm not in a "frenzy"

Having used cameras that have 24+MP I do know that technique is more important to get pixel level sharp pictures ( read DPRs review of the D800/8000E if you don't want to just take my word for it )

Perhaps you have some arguments regarding the positive aspects of more MP ? That was the intent of this thread

Nick

Re: You discount my disadvantages, but ...

nick_webster wrote:

To get around slower processing, bigger files etc. I would have to buy new equipment. I don't want to have to upgrade my computer every time I get a new camera

Out of interest how large are you printing that you feel more MP would be an advantage ?

16x20 and 20x30 inches at the Epson native resolution of 360dpi.  Slightly less interpolation would be required with 24mp.

How closely are you going to be viewing those prints to see any difference ?

Gallery directors, juried judges and potential purchasers are many times at arm's length.  Gallery directors are the toughest critics.

Nick

Sal

Ricoh GR Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +7 more
Brad Evans Contributing Member • Posts: 616
Re: Nothing - it's about making photos...

For me it would mean nothing at all.

Photography is about making photographs, not lusting after the latest or "best."

Brad
Urban photoblog: http://www.citysnaps.net

nick_webster
Too logical :-)

Sorry - I've seen so many threads recently about when Fuji ( or a.n.other manufacturer in other forums ) are going to get more MP in their cameras. I just wondered why

Nick

nick_webster
I don't deal with any of those Sal ;-)

And I suspect most others don't either

I've never said there are no reasons for more MP - I just don't think it would make any difference to over 90% of the people on here, and for me the disadvantages generally outweigh any small advantage I might see.

Nick

nick_webster
No need for crash helmet

This isn't a right or wrong question. If you want a 128MP sensor and you are happy to deal with those files then more power to you

Nick

nick_webster
I'd prefer ...

More DR less noise and the same MP - if I can only have 2 out of 3

Nick

Re: I don't deal with any of those Sal ;-)

nick_webster wrote:

And I suspect most others don't either

I've never said there are no reasons for more MP - I just don't think it would make any difference to over 90% of the people on here, and for me the disadvantages generally outweigh any small advantage I might see.

Nick

Nick...you asked the question.  You didn't state that the answers needed to be what you and "most others" think.

Sal

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads