a6000 faster than OMD E-M1, faster than most DSLR's (if not all). Good job SONY.

Started Feb 12, 2014 | Discussions
nevercat Veteran Member • Posts: 3,193
Re: a6000 faster than OMD E-M1, faster than most DSLR's (if not all). Good job SONY.

kcamacho11 wrote:

nevercat wrote:

Sony started the E-mount for the P&S people who wanted a better camera, but didn't want the large DSLR. So it makes sense that they start with good (not great) lenses that are not to big. For the FF E-mount cameras they came with smaller (35 f2.8) and larger (55mm f1.8, 70-200 f4) lenses and you know what? Complain, complain, complain. Not form the users of the camera and lenses, but from people who are not using the camera. They just want to have a reason for not buying the camera. Well I have one for you: The price! I whish I had the money to buy the A7r and the beautifull lenses and the A6000 and some great lenses, but I have not

Funny how Fuji users and Olympus do not have any complaints about the lenses available to them

And here exactly you show my point: the USERS do not complain, it are the peole who DON'T use Sony cameras who complain...

Then you peek over to the Fuji/Olympus forums and you will read at least once a week a thread by the title of "Switching Over From NEX", "This Is Why I Switched From Sony", etc. etc.

I've read threads from people comming from every brand (Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, and Fuji), that came over to Sony for one reason or an other... People sometimes change brands, choice is good!

Some people like having pro-grade, weather-sealed fast lenses....

And can you tell me what Fuji lenses and bodies are weather sealed? Yes just one! People who USE the A7(r) are very happy with the weathersealing of the camera and the lenses (all FE lenses are weathersealed), they are happy with the IQ the camera gives them at almost the same price as the new fuji would have cost them...

at least those who want the highest quality images and unveil the outmost potential out of their camera....instead of smiling about slow kit zoom.

Well when I look at the sales figures, the Sony cameras (including the A7(r) are doing better then those from Fuji, can you explain why? Is Sony doing more right then many people are thinking? Or is the negative reaction of people from other brands some kind of fear, that Sony does better then their brand is doing?

bluevellet Senior Member • Posts: 2,797
Re: a6000 faster than OMD E-M1, faster than most DSLR's (if not all). Good job SONY.

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Indoors it will probably struggle Donny...this is probably in bright daylight only...

ALL cameras slow down in low light conditions and a6000 won't be an exception. Popular Photography, for example, posts lab results measuring AF speed under varying light conditions. Their fastest measured AF for mainstream and pro DSLRs is on Sony a77 with 0.24s (a99 is next at 0.27s) at 12EV which goes down to 0.98s (IIRC) at 0 EV.

That being said, there are two videos available (one posted above by Henry and another is a review by DanK) which demonstrate that the a6000 manages to maintain good speed indoors as well (note the garage shot in DanK review).

Dank Reviews didn't shoot anything in a garage, they panned the camera to show how the focus points reacted to different objects but nothing was shot. Not only can't you hear the shutter, the LCD would go jerky if actually shooting continuously.

The only continuous shooting shown was a parrot in daylight (looks overcast) and the same parrot in a bright, white corner. The latter clearly shows the liveview screen and how it is not really dark with the camera settings (base ISO, realtively high shutter speeds).

bluevellet's gear list:bluevellet's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +17 more
spacemn Senior Member • Posts: 1,719

bluevellet wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Indoors it will probably struggle Donny...this is probably in bright daylight only...

ALL cameras slow down in low light conditions and a6000 won't be an exception. Popular Photography, for example, posts lab results measuring AF speed under varying light conditions. Their fastest measured AF for mainstream and pro DSLRs is on Sony a77 with 0.24s (a99 is next at 0.27s) at 12EV which goes down to 0.98s (IIRC) at 0 EV.

That being said, there are two videos available (one posted above by Henry and another is a review by DanK) which demonstrate that the a6000 manages to maintain good speed indoors as well (note the garage shot in DanK review).

Dank Reviews didn't shoot anything in a garage, they panned the camera to show how the focus points reacted to different objects but nothing was shot. Not only can't you hear the shutter, the LCD would go jerky if actually shooting continuously.

The only continuous shooting shown was a parrot in daylight (looks overcast) and the same parrot in a bright, white corner. The latter clearly shows the liveview screen and how it is not really dark with the camera settings (base ISO, realtively high shutter speeds).

All the usual m43 suspects come out of their closet... time for popcorn!

Oh no, facts.

Cover your ears, fellow Sony users!

Nikon D600 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +17 more
LTZ470
LTZ470 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,926
Re: Hands on report of a6000 focus speed.

blue_skies wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

DT200 wrote:

Not marketing hype, but hands on.

"From what we were able to see, the camera focuses slightly faster than the previous NEX 6 but it isn’t anything with blazing speed. "

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/02/11/first-impressions-sony-a6000/

We need more hands-on reports.

As I thought, the blazing fast AF speed may only work when there is extremely high contast, ie black and white edge in bright light

Yep, common sense is not so common anymore...in bright light they are all fast, in a lower light basketball gym it's not going to be the "fastest"...

Why not? It is a relative term.

"The fastest" in absolute terms in that gym hall is a DSLR, is that your point?

But a venue like that needs lowest shutter lag - subject may be pre-focused already.

What I meant Henry was the PDAF is not going to be active in a lower light venue...and the AF is going to slow considerably...like the Nex-6 unless Sony has really changed the Hybrid System considerably...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

It is meant to demonstrate how quickly the AF-C does its job and points it selects. No need to be bitter about it. I wish more reviews were like that.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
EinsteinsGhost
On FPS

GaryW wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Donny out of Element here wrote:

Well, 11fps with live tracking AF is something. It's faster than OMD E-M1 and mind you it's an APS-C sensor with 24.3 Mp! Fastest AF (in the world?) 0.06s CIPA.

For 3 seconds? How long of a burst do you maintain 11fps? And how many times can you do that in a minute? How many RAW images can you rip out per second?

I honestly see no point in any further mirror usage in cameras from now on.

I guess you should have added the caveat of, for the vast, vast majority of people, including most photographers.

Very few folks need autofocus in the first place. Now that we have it, most don't even know how to get the best out of it. Most of us will never need more than 5fps.

Because the mirrored D4s can shoot 10fps for 20 full seconds and crank out 200 full resolution RAW files with full tracking autofocus/metering/auto ISO etc. for each shot. And right away, it can turn around and do it all over again. All day long. Processor/buffer is just as important.

How often does one need to do this? Is this for "spray and pray" photography? I doubt most pro photographers' cameras do this today. Of course, if you need this, or some other feature, you should buy the camera that does it, but let's keep it in perspective.

That's my point exactly. For people who need the speed - really NEED it - they don't NEED the A6000. It's autofocus speed isn't the headline that matters. It's just there for the folks who will be impressed with it and buy one based on that.

I can understand a 1 second buffer (in my Nex-6) is a bit short, but after 2 or even 5 seconds, I can't imagine what I'm still shooting. The action is over with. Anything longer, and maybe I should have used video. At least then I have 60fps for as long as I want.

Again - all the claims are for "victory over the mirrored DSLR". Not so fast, be real. For folks who need that kind of speed, the need it for longer periods of time. And they need every shot metered, white balanced, iso'd and they need Raw+jpg - all ready to go to the service bureau.

Not to dampen the enthusiasm, but you get what you pay for.

And you do pay for it! In money not just for the camera but for lenses, because you wouldn't just plop a kit lens on a $5000 camera. And not just in money, but for the bulk. It's not exactly a good travel setup.

I'm just sayin', keep it all in perspective.

I think most of us are?

Hopefully. But when I see statements like "we don't need the mirror anymore" and "death of the DSLR is here", I have to laugh.

One of the wonderful points about my three year old a55 is that it could do 10fps. A limitation was that I have to settle for max aperture of f/3.5 to have continuous AF. I could choose larger aperture but only with AF-S or MF. But at the same time, 10 fps can be limiting if a sequence with more variation is desired as with RAW+JPEG the buffer could take only 19 frames (about 2s) after that a significantly slower burst.

So, I use that mode rarely. Useful on select situations. I use 6 fps more. It also gives control over aperture with Af-C but more importantly, prolongs the shooting to 3s before a slowdown.

If a6000 has that setting, a JPEG shooter could go 8s for 49 frames which is impressive (in a55 and in NEX-6, JPEG only reduces number of frames, likely due to JPEG processing limitations but that does not appear to be an issue with a6000).

The NEX-6 will do 10fps but the AF can't keep up (would work fine only if the movement maintains the same distance). Also, buffer limit is reached in 1s (11 frames). So, this is another significant upgrade in a6000... if it works as advertised.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
EinsteinsGhost

blue_skies wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

DT200 wrote:

"From what we were able to see, the camera focuses slightly faster than the previous NEX 6 but it isn’t anything with blazing speed. "

How blazing does it need to be? It just needs to lock on and take the photo in a reasonably short time.  If it's faster and more accurate than the Nex-6, then I think that'll be welcomed.

As I thought, the blazing fast AF speed may only work when there is extremely high contast, ie black and white edge in bright light

Yep, common sense is not so common anymore...in bright light they are all fast, in a lower light basketball gym it's not going to be the "fastest"...

And an FF DSLR... with an f2.8 zoom.  After thousands of dollars of expenditure, I suppose congratulations are in order?  Yay, you've got the fastest...  Fastest in terms of light-gathering power and in AF response.

Using a Nex or A6000 with the 55-210 is going to have poorer results.  This is where a fast tele prime would come in handy.  Would AF be fast enough if a wide aperture tele prime were available in e-mount?

But a venue like that needs lowest shutter lag - subject may be pre-focused already.

Didn't I read somewhere recently that the Nex cameras (Nex-6 in particular) are faster than most DSLRs when pre-focused?  Very little lag when you don't have a mirror to flip.

But why would you photograph by pre-focusing?  

The Vogel video appears to be using FE55/1.8 on some instances (note the EXIF at ISO 3200, 1/1000s, f/2.2). While not a longer tele, the FE55 is an 85mm equiv lens on APSc. The FE85 might make it more interesting.

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

It is meant to demonstrate how quickly the AF-C does its job and points it selects. No need to be bitter about it. I wish more reviews were like that.

That's not the same.

I have old cameras which can also "follow" a subject with neat cursors and squares (depends on the manufacturers). Reality of actually shooting the same subject in focus is different.

EinsteinsGhost

blue_skies wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

DT200 wrote:

What I meant Henry was the PDAF is not going to be active in a lower light venue...and the AF is going to slow considerably...like the Nex-6 unless Sony has really changed the Hybrid System considerably...

That appears to be the case. Based on EXIF in the Vogel video (taken with FE 55), I calculate the brightness value of the scene to be about +3EV (about six stops dimmer than bright daylight): ISO 3200, 1/1000s, f/2.2

SDF Senior Member • Posts: 2,131

No kidding, these people never liked sony cameras but they kept bashing on this forum.

spacemn wrote:

SDF's gear list:SDF's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +3 more
EinsteinsGhost

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

That's not the same.

I have old cameras which can also "follow" a subject with neat cursors and squares (depends on the manufacturers). Reality of actually shooting the same subject in focus is different.

Ability to set focus and follow it that quickly is key to tracking. The only issue that goes past is shutter lag. Fortunately, that has been a strength of NEX bodies since 5N. They have considerably lower shutter lag than pro DSLRs much less mid level and older ones. Even if a6000 only matches NEX-5N (and all NEX bodies since), you are looking at 0.022s (measured) which is better than any DSLR.

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

That's not the same.

Ability to set focus and follow it that quickly is key to tracking. The only issue that goes past is shutter lag. Fortunately, that has been a strength of NEX bodies since 5N. They have considerably lower shutter lag than pro DSLRs much less mid level and older ones. Even if a6000 only matches NEX-5N (and all NEX bodies since), you are looking at 0.022s (measured) which is better than any DSLR.

Except there's nothing quick about slowly panning your camera left to right (the garage). It might be easier to illustate the tracking in a video but you didn't prove what you're saying it does.

EinsteinsGhost

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

That's not the same.

Except there's nothing quick about slowly panning your camera left to right (the garage). It might be easier to illustate the tracking in a video but you didn't prove what you're saying it does.

You shouldn't be looking at panning speed, rather how AF system responds to the change with panning. Would you claim that this is how how NEX-5R/T and 6 respond?

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

That's not the same.

You shouldn't be looking at panning speed, rather how AF system responds to the change with panning. Would you claim that this is how how NEX-5R/T and 6 respond?

I never owned a NEX body that recent, I can't confirm or deny that particular point in all honesty, but I do know how other cameras react, even old ones, and slowly panning and having the tracking focus follow is not a hard feat.

EinsteinsGhost

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

That's not the same.

I never owned a NEX body that recent, I can't confirm or deny that particular point in all honesty, but I do know how other cameras react, even old ones, and slowly panning and having the tracking focus follow is not a hard feat.

It has been with mirrorless cameras. And since you don't have any experience with APSc mirroess cameras, may be you should refrain from drawing conclusions.

But as I said, if DSLRs perform similarly, a6000 is likely to have an edge under these conditiobns due to lower shutter lag.

Dan_168 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,477

stevo23 wrote:

EthanP99 wrote:

its 49 jpegs apparently

so about 5 seconds

Wait, that's 9.8 fps...

D4s is 10fps for 20 seconds with full resolution RAW files with full autofocus/metering/auto ISO for each shot.

Actually I will consider that "you do  get a little more than you pay for", LOL, no that I care to use any little NEX for any serious sport shooting with big white telephoto, had the NEX7 for a while, the tiny handgrip alone is annoying enough for me to use in the field for more than 30 minutes,  oh, I am still waiting for their 500mm and 600mm, LOL,

EinsteinsGhost

stevo23 wrote:

EthanP99 wrote:

its 49 jpegs apparently

so about 5 seconds

Wait, that's 9.8 fps...

D4s is 10fps for 20 seconds with full resolution RAW files with full autofocus/metering/auto ISO for each shot.

Actually I will consider that "you do  get a little more than you pay for", LOL, no that I care to use any little NEX for any serious sport shooting with big white telephoto, had the NEX7 for a while, the tiny handgrip alone is annoying enough for me to use in the field for more than 30 minutes,  oh, I am still waiting for their 500mm and 600mm, LOL,

If you are going to use a monster lens, you are likely to use a monopod at the minimum. The 70-200 would do just fine with a6000 and any NEX body, of course as a 105-300mm equiv lens. I use a "white" lens regularly which ends up being slightly longer and heavier cobsidering the adapter than the 70-200/4 is. It is a walk in the park package (literally). You can find short primes that are heavier.

LTZ470
LTZ470 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,926

SDF wrote:

No kidding, these people never liked sony cameras but they kept bashing on this forum.

spacemn wrote:

Nope, own Nex-7, 2 X RX100's, RX1, Nex-5N, A7r...need better lens selection...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

That's not the same.

It has been with mirrorless cameras. And since you don't have any experience with APSc mirroess cameras, may be you should refrain from drawing conclusions.

But as I said, if DSLRs perform similarly, a6000 is likely to have an edge under these conditiobns due to lower shutter lag.

Wrong. I owned the original NEX5, but you mentionned more recent NEX bodies.

But that's irrelevant because you don't need PDAF to focus track subbjects and other mirrorless brands have done it for years. My point here is double. They've been able to do it and it looks like they're following a subject, but when it comes time to take the shots, it's hit or miss. It's not shutter lag that is to blame but the camera actually having to focus for each shot (very lens-dependent too). Tracking is just the camera telling you it knows the subject has moved, focus doesn't need to be acquired for it to continually follow.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads