There is NO reason not to get X-E1 for $719

Started Feb 11, 2014 | Discussions
Andy G
Andy G Regular Member • Posts: 461
Re: There is NO reason not to get X-E1 for $719

stimpy wrote:

Andy G wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

Andy G wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

The problem is that you can't get a body only version of the XE-1 in the UK at that price ....

Just about for that price. However, right now, we get the XC 50-230mm thrown in, with the X-E1 and 18-55 bundle for £700. Great value.

Where is this offer available ?

http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/fujifilm-x-e1-18-55mm-f2-8-4-r-xf.html £699

or any UK Fuji dealer.

I chose this one because of the 2 yr warranty that Clifton offer on all products. The SD card is a Samsung 48mb/s, certainly OK as a backup. £719

http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Fujifilm_X-E1_18-55_XF_Lens_Kit_-_Silver

You can also get a Fuji refurb with 12 months warranty + 18-55 for £550 (if you use a 10% discount code).

But no free XC 50-2300mm. I agree with the refurb being a great idea if you are not after the free zoom.

 Andy G's gear list:Andy G's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon 85mm F1.8G Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +2 more
panpen Contributing Member • Posts: 957
$719, free shipping, 32GB card and extra battery, 6% rewards at Adorama

That's about $675 for the E1 with the kit lens

Jim Radcliffe
Jim Radcliffe Forum Pro • Posts: 11,813
Actually... there are 719 reasons.... :) (NT)
1
-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

 Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1
(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 614
Re: There is NO reason not to get X-E1 for $719

Andy G wrote:

stimpy wrote:

Andy G wrote:

stimpy wrote:

AF doesn't matter when you shoot things that don't move.

Anybody that bought the X-E1 to capture fast moving subjects clearly possesses a great amount of skill or is not capable of understanding the strengths and weaknesses of a much written about camera.

I think there are more than a few people who would have purchased the X-E1 at launch, and expected more from a £1000 body.

I can accept that, but hopefully the firmware improvements have consoled them somewhat.

Having said that, the current firmware autofocus is fast enough and where real speed is involved I simply go back to basics, the way it was done before AF existed.

Fast enough for you it seems (and for me 90% of the time) but that doesn't mean it's fast enough for everyone. Plenty of event & reportage photographers still struggle with the slow AF and lag.

This is the bit where I want to talk about my recent wedding photographs, where I was the victim of a "wedding photographer". But, I won't, as it only serves to wind me up in a real bad, unhealthy way. I was the victim of a Nikon DSLR in the wrong hands. This experience made me realise how many "professionals" are out there taking money for poor work and how they would never have survived on film or manual focus cameras.

There are no regulations around professional photography, anyone can call themselves a photographer unfortunately - it's always been this way. There are many 'professionals' using Fuji's that give photographers a bad name.

What type of wedding photographer you are, will dictate what gear allows you the best opportunity to capture images in your own style. Some guys who I have seen using Fuji X cameras still rely on traditional 'photoshoot' style weddings where they line everyone up, say "cheese" and take the photo. Others are more dynamic and want to capture special fleeting moments, the Fuji X line is simply not as suitable for that as a good DSLR.

There are those that dwell on the autofocus of the X-E1, possibly because there are very few negatives to owning such a great value camera right now. Many convince themselves of this "huge" autofocus issue to help justify to themselves (or partner) that more expense is required, to get the desired performance.

X series focus has always been poor compared to it's main competitor, m43. The reputation is justified.

A reputation of being slower than its competitor is hardly a suggestion that it is not very usable. It clearly is. Granted I have only recently acquired it and don't have the pre-firmware improvement experience.

It's usable for some people in some situations. It fails miserably in others. I don't see why Fuji users can't just accept the camera has limitations when compared to a DSLR. I am a long time Fuji user and accept those limitations, but I also don't kid myself that they don't exist.

Fuji have a long way to go before they can rival mirrored DSLRs.

For me, photography is all about image quality. Years ago when I spent £1000's on Canon L glass, I did so purely for the image quality and the 2.8 constant. In those days, it was never about autofocus. Today, with me, nothing has changed.

Why are you not shooting full frame then?

Far too heavy, all sold (2004)and they were stuck on the end of a couple of film bodies (EOS 1V HS). I once carried an EOS 1V HS, a 70-200 2.8 L, 16-35 2.8L and a 28-70 2.8L up Beinn Alligin and wanted to throw it back down rather than carry it.

Then it's not "all about image quality". You are making a compromise.

The X-E1 is an outstanding photographic tool for the price point, with superb looks and fine handling.

For some people, yes, others no.

Personal choice applies to just about anything, but it doesn't stop it being an outstanding photographer tool and deliverer of superb images. I hate Merc's, my Dad loves them, still excellent cars.

Are you trying to justify your purchase? "outstanding" is subjective, not objective. Many agree with you, but just as many disagree.

Helen
Helen Veteran Member • Posts: 6,077
Re: There is NO reason not to get X-E1 for $719

Andy G wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

Andy G wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

The problem is that you can't get a body only version of the XE-1 in the UK at that price ....

Just about for that price. However, right now, we get the XC 50-230mm thrown in, with the X-E1 and 18-55 bundle for £700. Great value.

Where is this offer available ?

http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/fujifilm-x-e1-18-55mm-f2-8-4-r-xf.html £699

or any UK Fuji dealer.

I chose this one because of the 2 yr warranty that Clifton offer on all products. The SD card is a Samsung 48mb/s, certainly OK as a backup. £719

http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Fujifilm_X-E1_18-55_XF_Lens_Kit_-_Silver

Yes - quite a lot of dealers are now offering the X-E1 + 18-55 for £689, plus the free XC 50-230mm to be claimed from Fuji (offer runs till 31 March) - Amazon.co.uk (themselves, not Marketplace sellers), SRS, Mathers, WEX, etc. etc.

The same free lens offer also applies to the X-M1 + 16-50 kit (i.e. you can claim a free 50-230), whilst the X-A1 + 16-50 allows you to claim a free 27mm XF.  All these run till 31 March and are probably being overshadowed by the publicity for the £100 cashbacks on lenses (with its attractive £300 for two lenses bonus aspect, which also runs until 31 March).  Also extended now until 31 March is the offer of a free 35mm, 60mm or 27mm XF lens which can be claimed from Fuji UK if you buy the X-Pro 1 with 18mm.

Les Lammers
Les Lammers Veteran Member • Posts: 3,485
Re: There is NO reason not to get X-E1 for $719
1

Yawn.

 Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
juvx
juvx Senior Member • Posts: 1,536
Re: Actually... there are 719 reasons.... :) (NT)

I just bought the black kit for 719$ from best buy. lol

considering selling the x-e1 body brand new for 450$ however and upgrading to the x-e2.

 juvx's gear list:juvx's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a6500 Sony a9 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony FE 35mm F1.4 +4 more
(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 614
Re: There is NO reason not to get X-E1 for $719

Les Lammers wrote:

Yawn.

Time for bed little man

Les Lammers
Les Lammers Veteran Member • Posts: 3,485
Re: There is NO reason not to get X-E1 for $719

Time to put to bed the DSLR v X rivalry. Apples and oranges.

 Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
OP mistermejia Veteran Member • Posts: 3,340
Peter...

Peter Jonas wrote:

Congrats to the purchase. I hope you are not going to miss the response and handling of the D7000. The X-E1 is a nice camera. Did you get a lens included in that price?

By the way, I thought you were getting a Pentax K-3. Whatever happened to that?

...Yes i got the silver body with 18-55 for $719.

hahaha! That's a good question. The store doesn't even carry pentax. the sales guys told me "nobody buys pentax". They said if anything goes wrong, parts availability are difficult to get, and so on. I still think the K3 is a super great camera, no doubt. The other thing i consider is the 24MP sensor itself. Is just too demanding and there are not that many "great" lenses out there that can truly handle that kind of resolution, so what was the point of getting a 24MP camera without good DX lenses. There are some good lenses from sigma, but in the end this fuji combo AND the perfect price just sold me out.  Is quality, not quantity, right?

 mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
panpen Contributing Member • Posts: 957
Re: Actually... there are 719 reasons.... :) (NT)

On FM the bodies barely sell for $350 shipped and paypaled. That's close to $300 after you cut down all fees. Unless you already know someone to sell it to for $450, I doubt you'll get that much.

OP mistermejia Veteran Member • Posts: 3,340
Stimpy...

stimpy wrote:

mistermejia wrote:

I am officially a former nikon shooter and I am NEVER looking back

Guys, for this type of caliber that you are getting, there is no reason to be crying for the performance of AF of the XE1 after the firmware update. Yes, i can see what some of you are saying, i can see that now, it is not super snappy and it takes a couple of "milliseconds" until it locks on focus, but it is nothing to cry about unless you shoot in darkness.

I bought the silver version this afternoon after work, i have loaded the latest firmware and i am ALREADY enjoying the thing. I personally wouldn't be surprised if later on fuji does another touch up on the AF part. One thing for sure, the AF on my camera does lock AF a little faster in AF-Continuous, and i am not complaining, not for this price sir! No way Jose!

But let me tell you this, would i pay $1400 for this camera now? No. But it doesn't cost that anymore

I bought the camera with a 90mb/sec memory card and i am VERY satisfied. This camera probably works perfect under plenty of light. I have taken some simple photos from my house under crappy lighting, and i like the camera very much. I think this camera and I are going to become very good friends. Im tired, is been a long day, and i'm going to sleep.

AF doesn't matter when you shoot things that don't move.

...I understand and i respect YOUR needs.  Get a different camera or a DSLR.  But i have shot D7000 with manual focus lenses and it is very fun, not that easy sometimes but even when you don't have AF at all taking pictures of FAST moving objects is not impossible either:

 mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
juvx
juvx Senior Member • Posts: 1,536
Re: There is NO reason not to get X-E1 for $719

stimpy wrote:

Andy G wrote:

stimpy wrote:

Andy G wrote:

stimpy wrote:

AF doesn't matter when you shoot things that don't move.

Anybody that bought the X-E1 to capture fast moving subjects clearly possesses a great amount of skill or is not capable of understanding the strengths and weaknesses of a much written about camera.

I think there are more than a few people who would have purchased the X-E1 at launch, and expected more from a £1000 body.

I can accept that, but hopefully the firmware improvements have consoled them somewhat.

Having said that, the current firmware autofocus is fast enough and where real speed is involved I simply go back to basics, the way it was done before AF existed.

Fast enough for you it seems (and for me 90% of the time) but that doesn't mean it's fast enough for everyone. Plenty of event & reportage photographers still struggle with the slow AF and lag.

This is the bit where I want to talk about my recent wedding photographs, where I was the victim of a "wedding photographer". But, I won't, as it only serves to wind me up in a real bad, unhealthy way. I was the victim of a Nikon DSLR in the wrong hands. This experience made me realise how many "professionals" are out there taking money for poor work and how they would never have survived on film or manual focus cameras.

There are no regulations around professional photography, anyone can call themselves a photographer unfortunately - it's always been this way. There are many 'professionals' using Fuji's that give photographers a bad name.

What type of wedding photographer you are, will dictate what gear allows you the best opportunity to capture images in your own style. Some guys who I have seen using Fuji X cameras still rely on traditional 'photoshoot' style weddings where they line everyone up, say "cheese" and take the photo. Others are more dynamic and want to capture special fleeting moments, the Fuji X line is simply not as suitable for that as a good DSLR.

There are those that dwell on the autofocus of the X-E1, possibly because there are very few negatives to owning such a great value camera right now. Many convince themselves of this "huge" autofocus issue to help justify to themselves (or partner) that more expense is required, to get the desired performance.

X series focus has always been poor compared to it's main competitor, m43. The reputation is justified.

A reputation of being slower than its competitor is hardly a suggestion that it is not very usable. It clearly is. Granted I have only recently acquired it and don't have the pre-firmware improvement experience.

It's usable for some people in some situations. It fails miserably in others. I don't see why Fuji users can't just accept the camera has limitations when compared to a DSLR. I am a long time Fuji user and accept those limitations, but I also don't kid myself that they don't exist.

Fuji have a long way to go before they can rival mirrored DSLRs.

For me, photography is all about image quality. Years ago when I spent £1000's on Canon L glass, I did so purely for the image quality and the 2.8 constant. In those days, it was never about autofocus. Today, with me, nothing has changed.

Why are you not shooting full frame then?

Far too heavy, all sold (2004)and they were stuck on the end of a couple of film bodies (EOS 1V HS). I once carried an EOS 1V HS, a 70-200 2.8 L, 16-35 2.8L and a 28-70 2.8L up Beinn Alligin and wanted to throw it back down rather than carry it.

Then it's not "all about image quality". You are making a compromise.

The X-E1 is an outstanding photographic tool for the price point, with superb looks and fine handling.

For some people, yes, others no.

Personal choice applies to just about anything, but it doesn't stop it being an outstanding photographer tool and deliverer of superb images. I hate Merc's, my Dad loves them, still excellent cars.

Are you trying to justify your purchase? "outstanding" is subjective, not objective. Many agree with you, but just as many disagree.

I have a feeling the x-e2 and X-T1 can rival any APSC DSLR in image quality. Autofocus and speed is getting better and better. Its already better than a lot of entry level dslrs. Can't match something like the canon 7d just yet but at the pace fuji has been improving both areas it stands to reason that it will match that performance in about a year.

DSLRs however have the advantage of a full frame sensor and that's where they shine. But with the release of the sony A7/A7r I estimate 2 years from now mirrorless will catch up. Any in the meantime Fuji will release a full frame camera as well.

This is no physical reason why a mirrorless cant outperform a DSLR in the future even at pro levels... DSLRs have just had a very long head start and it just takes development and innovation which companies alike Fuji Sony and Olympus are all great at.

 juvx's gear list:juvx's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a6500 Sony a9 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony FE 35mm F1.4 +4 more
(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 614
Re: There is NO reason not to get X-E1 for $719

Les Lammers wrote:

Time to put to bed the DSLR v X rivalry. Apples and oranges.

Funny thing is, there is nor rivalry, just crazy Fuji fanboys who think it equals a DSLR in all areas.

OP mistermejia Veteran Member • Posts: 3,340
Randy Benter...

Randy Benter wrote:

Reason #1 not to get X-E1: It does not have a CCD sensor.

Reason #2 not to get X-E1: X cameras have "stinking skin tones"

Now, if I could only remember who said such things. Enjoy your new camera.

...Ummm, you are going to have to show me where i said that (all) X cameras have stinking skin tones? Maybe you read it out of context, or maybe i was only referring to the new models that show the "stinking" skin tones at high ISO, no?

I seriously don't ever recall me saying that about the XE1 or Xpro1. But i could be wrong

 mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
OP mistermejia Veteran Member • Posts: 3,340
Joel Stern...

Joel Stern wrote:

enjoy. $729, where?

My local Samy's Camera matched Amazon's $719 price.  Plus tax of course.  Damn Uncle Sam!

The price is actually for the BLACK body only, but my friend that works there was cool about it.

 mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 614
Re: Stimpy...

mistermejia wrote:

stimpy wrote:

mistermejia wrote:

I am officially a former nikon shooter and I am NEVER looking back

Guys, for this type of caliber that you are getting, there is no reason to be crying for the performance of AF of the XE1 after the firmware update. Yes, i can see what some of you are saying, i can see that now, it is not super snappy and it takes a couple of "milliseconds" until it locks on focus, but it is nothing to cry about unless you shoot in darkness.

I bought the silver version this afternoon after work, i have loaded the latest firmware and i am ALREADY enjoying the thing. I personally wouldn't be surprised if later on fuji does another touch up on the AF part. One thing for sure, the AF on my camera does lock AF a little faster in AF-Continuous, and i am not complaining, not for this price sir! No way Jose!

But let me tell you this, would i pay $1400 for this camera now? No. But it doesn't cost that anymore

I bought the camera with a 90mb/sec memory card and i am VERY satisfied. This camera probably works perfect under plenty of light. I have taken some simple photos from my house under crappy lighting, and i like the camera very much. I think this camera and I are going to become very good friends. Im tired, is been a long day, and i'm going to sleep.

AF doesn't matter when you shoot things that don't move.

...I understand and i respect YOUR needs. Get a different camera or a DSLR. But i have shot D7000 with manual focus lenses and it is very fun, not that easy sometimes but even when you don't have AF at all taking pictures of FAST moving objects is not impossible either:

Every-time someone says Fuji's are not great for fast action (which they are NOT) someone has to pipe up with an example showing how it is possible.

You're missing the point.

Can't you accept it's a limitation of the camera and be happy?

OP mistermejia Veteran Member • Posts: 3,340
Sal Baker...

Sal Baker wrote:

I'm very tempted to get one as a second body to my X-E2. $549 is a great price, and it has the same IQ as Fuji's latest/greatest. But I'm going to wait until the X-T1 is in good supply. At that point the X-E2 will probably drop more in price which will push the X-E1 even lower.

I still plan on getting the 56mm 1.2. But I could almost get two X-E1s for the same price as that one lens!

Sal

I seriously doubt the Xe2 price will drop soon.

I can't wait to get an adapter to use my Rokinon 85 1.4  

 mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
OP mistermejia Veteran Member • Posts: 3,340
Thanks for the tip Al Valentino.

Al Valentino wrote:

Congratulations on finally making the move. It gets better once you master the little things, which many seem to neglect.

i was one of those people that paid $1,400 new in late December, well before the updates, and was very pleased then and expect to have mine for a while.

no that you have the XE1 and zoom, if you ever plan on more lenses, now is the time with huge sales. Just ordered the 35mm myself.

Have fun!

nt.

 mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
Les Lammers
Les Lammers Veteran Member • Posts: 3,485
Re: There is NO reason not to get X-E1 for $719

XT-1 maybe...the other X's not really. There are better tools for fast action.

 Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads