I didn't need a new camera at all , but I got a DP1x because I wanted one

Started Feb 9, 2014 | Discussions
smarter Contributing Member • Posts: 533
I didn't need a new camera at all , but I got a DP1x because I wanted one

Camera buying addiction is a serious disease. With my current cameras I have most bases covered. I have compact, mirrorless, DSLR and several lenses.

Despite that I kept urging to buy a Sigma DP camera just because of the famous Foveon sensor quality. I know Sigma DP's are no speed demons and they have some quirks. Tonight I finally bought my first Sigma DP on Ebay, A barely used DP1x .

I can't wait to try it. I have read different opinions about the DP1 series. Some say the DP1x is not as good as the former versions. What is the opinion over here?

smarter's gear list:smarter's gear list
Fujifilm XQ2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Fujifilm X-T10 +15 more
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP1x
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Johan Borg Senior Member • Posts: 2,508
Re: I didn't need a new camera at all , but I got a DP1x because I wanted one

With the DP1x you probably want to be more careful about overexposure than with the earlier and later DP1 models. Also, with that particular model I suggest to shoot with color mode set to Neutral since it will give more predictable metering/results. Otherwise, just go out and enjoy!

MOD Kendall Helmstetter Gelner Forum Pro • Posts: 19,881

Some people thought the highlights could blow a little more easily in the DP-1x.

However, that is offset by very significant handling improvements of the DP-1x over the original DP-1. So I would say overall you are way better off getting a DP-1x as a starter camera than the DP-1, which was slower and I'm not sure even had the QS menu.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
digi2ap Contributing Member • Posts: 644

I really loved having the DP1/2X cameras for a couple of years. Yes, you need to expose for the highlights and despite the AFE you probably will stick to ISO 100 and below, as I did. The output is really lovely for the web and good for printing especially if the output is a book e.g. a reasonable sized print. Despite having tried the Merrill's I still reckon the previous generation has a certain something - enjoy!

-- hide signature --

www.anthonypalmer.me

digi2ap's gear list:digi2ap's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma SD1 Merrill
OP smarter Contributing Member • Posts: 533

Yesterday I received my DP1x. It looks brand new and there were only 120 pictures taken with it.

I charged the battery and took the camera with me to work today to take some test shots. In operation it's a very sluggish and slow camera, but the controls are very straightforward. It's obvious to me that this is a special tool, not a backup camera for general use. So far I like the first results:

Fujifilm XQ2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Fujifilm X-T10 +15 more
jande9
jande9 Senior Member • Posts: 1,076

I got a DP1s 2 years ago and I have enjoyed the small size and great quality. Keep it at ISO200 and shoot RAW and you will find that the camera does very well with highlights. ISO in this camera doesn't affect sensor gain, it justs adjusts the exposure and the gain is made up in SPP.

Quick shipping!

jande9's gear list:jande9's gear list
Sigma DP1s Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic FZ1000 Pentax K100D Sony Alpha NEX-7
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,857

jande9 wrote:

I got a DP1s 2 years ago and I have enjoyed the small size and great quality. Keep it at ISO200 and shoot RAW and you will find that the camera does very well with highlights. ISO in this camera doesn't affect sensor gain, it justs adjusts the exposure and the gain is made up in SPP.

The DP1s is different to the Dp1x/SD15 with AFE (Analog Front End).

maceoQ wrote:

Which one is considered the better camera? DP1s or DP1x?

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,857

smarter wrote:

maceoQ wrote:

I would say, both are great, the DP1x is more modern, colors are more neutral, but you have to be a bit more careful exposing because highlights (especially brown/red) can blow out earlier.
(Skin tones in harsh sunlight for example)

Maceo

Manzur Fahim
Manzur Fahim Senior Member • Posts: 1,531

Hmm I bought a DP2M for the same reason, the excellent sensor. Not sure what to do with all these camera

-- hide signature --
 Manzur Fahim's gear list:Manzur Fahim's gear list
Sigma sd Quattro Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED VR II Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED Sigma DP2 Merrill +6 more
PrebenR Veteran Member • Posts: 3,529

smarter wrote:

maceoQ wrote:

I have both. DP1x is much better when it comes to the controls at least. Colours between DP1x and DP1s are different, but which is better depends on taste DP1x has better sharpness and less noise.

-- hide signature --

Lightwriting with Sigma

So far I really like my DP1x Despite it's flaws in operation, speed and the very restricted ISO values. It's a specialty camera for certain occasions and I will treat it this way.

I like the Sigma look of the few pictures I took very much. I bought a DP2S tonight on Ebay to complement my Dp1x. I already enjoy My Pentax K-01 + Sigma 30mm 1.4 so basically I didn't need a Dp2 at all. I was just too curious to try it out for the € 180 I paid for my DP2s.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads