a7R rear LCD display defect

Started Feb 9, 2014 | Discussions
Richard Mauro Regular Member • Posts: 492
a7R rear LCD display defect

I have owned a Sony a7R since January 27th. Today, February 8th, I noticed what appears to be a defect at the left edge of the rear LCD display. I will post pics but there is a clear problem from at least halfway at the left side to the top left corner edge that looks as though the glass is separating from the frame. It has a bubbly look to it. The kind of appearance when a screen protector is applied to a smartphone display and the edges don't adhere well.

I am going to contact Amazon tomorrow to have this replaced and also let Sony know. I don't have the photos because I noticed it after dark and trying to get proper light on the portion is difficult. I will post after taking photos in daylight.

I couldn't wait to get this information out and wonder if anyone has noticed this as well.

Richard

Richard Mauro's gear list:Richard Mauro's gear list
Sony Alpha a7S Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
Zeisschen
Zeisschen Regular Member • Posts: 196
Bad luck

Probably bad luck, a quality issue but if it wasn't there on arrival there was no possibility to see it before Sony delivered. one question, did you use any display protection? When you get the replacement I would suggest to use the sony display cover. I don't wanna say that this might have caused the problem but I would generally recommend it as additional protection.

Zeisschen's gear list:Zeisschen's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +4 more
blue_skies
blue_skies Forum Pro • Posts: 11,532
Re: a7R rear LCD display defect

Richard Mauro wrote:

I have owned a Sony a7R since January 27th. Today, February 8th, I noticed what appears to be a defect at the left edge of the rear LCD display. I will post pics but there is a clear problem from at least halfway at the left side to the top left corner edge that looks as though the glass is separating from the frame. It has a bubbly look to it. The kind of appearance when a screen protector is applied to a smartphone display and the edges don't adhere well.

I am going to contact Amazon tomorrow to have this replaced and also let Sony know. I don't have the photos because I noticed it after dark and trying to get proper light on the portion is difficult. I will post after taking photos in daylight.

I couldn't wait to get this information out and wonder if anyone has noticed this as well.

Richard

Did you remove the factory installed protection sheet? It may be just that.

Otherwise, it should be covered under warranty. Nex displays have been noted to also not hold up over time. People that use additional protection (soft or hard) seem to fare better than those who don't - but I bet it relates to usage frequency and amount of direct sun-light exposure as well.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha a7R II +36 more
Keit ll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,313

I had hoped that Sony had fixed the LCD coating issues but maybe not ? Have you any images of this defect ?

Joe Colson
Joe Colson Senior Member • Posts: 1,765

I just returned my A7R to Sony for repair after spotting this defect. It appears to be a delamination/separation of an LCD layer.

Lower right corner of Sony A7R LCD

The camera had not been subjected to any unusual temperature gradients, pressure or drops. This developed after about 2 months of use. An LCD protector would not have prevented the defect from occurring, as this occurred without any contact with that corner of the LCD (lower right).

-- hide signature --
 Joe Colson's gear list:Joe Colson's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Hasselblad X1D Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +4 more

If that is delamination of the outer protective layer then contact may not have been apparent , just the occasional wiping with a cloth may be enough to start the process...

Joe Colson

Perhaps I should have said "unusual pressure" instead of "contact" to avoid the nitpicking that seems to be pervasive on these forums. Pardon my imprecision. Occasional wiping with a cloth should not result in an LCD failure.

-- hide signature --
Sony Alpha a7R II Hasselblad X1D Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +4 more
OP Richard Mauro Regular Member • Posts: 492
Re: Bad luck

Probably bad luck, a quality issue but if it wasn't there on arrival there was no possibility to see it before Sony delivered. one question, did you use any display protection? When you get the replacement I would suggest to use the sony display cover. I don't wanna say that this might have caused the problem but I would generally recommend it as additional protection.

I haven't been working much the last couple of weeks due to surgery and forcing myself to lay low at home. This gear hasn't gotten more than three hours pro work at two fairly quotidian nonprofit events.

To address your thoughts on screen protection, no I haven't tried to or attempted to apply any screen protector and have on order the Sony screen protector. It's on back order. I always opt for OEM gear or I don't use it in most instances.

The reason I noticed it last night was due to lighting and I decided to wipe the screen of finger marks when I then clearly saw the problem. If it was there when the camera arrived originally, I didn't see it. It seems to me a quality issue when the LCD cover is attached to its frame.

I had hoped that Sony had fixed the LCD coating issues but maybe not ? Have you any images of this defect ?

I'm sitting reading the Sunday NY Times at the moment, so as soon as I get off my butt, I will snap don't shots of the aforementioned issue! Promise.

Joe Colson wrote:

Perhaps I should have said "unusual pressure" instead of "contact" to avoid the nitpicking that seems to be pervasive on these forums. Pardon my imprecision. Occasional wiping with a cloth should not result in an LCD failure.

But you did use the word contact so pardon me for 'nit-picking' .  I didn't anticipate that you would be  so sensitive ! I'll pardon your imprecision in the use of language but don't let it happen again ! 

I agree that occasional wiping should not cause such problems but that was my experience with my now dead NEX 7. The deterioration of my LCD started in the centre of the screen but others have had this happen at the corners , perhaps the  handling which occurs when lifting the LCD panel could account for this phenomenon ?

I'm not too sure why you can be so certain that an additional screen protector may not have prevented this ?

Joe Colson

Keit ll wrote:

...perhaps the handling which occurs when lifting the LCD panel could account for this phenomenon ?

Nope. I haven't had a need in my, mostly indoor, tests to lift the LCD panel. And even if I had, routinely lifting the LCD panel in normal use should not cause a defect.

I'm not too sure why you can be so certain that an additional screen protector may not have prevented this ?

As you probably know, there are two types of LCD protectors. The first is a thin flexible film that protects the LCD from scratches and rubs. It does not protect the LCD from impact or pressure damage. The second type of protector is made of glass, often Schott glass, and protects the LCD from scratches, rubs AND pressure or impact damage. It won't prevent the latter if the camera is dropped or used roughly, but it does reduce the probability of its occurrence. Like using a UV filter on a lens, some owners add an LCD protector routinely to preserve the resale value of their equipment.

In the two months that I used the camera, in controlled testing with various lenses, the LCD panel was not impacted by ANYTHING and was wiped only occasionally using a microfiber cloth. Since the defect presented itself before I had the opportunity to take the camera on a serious photo shoot, I'm 100% certain that my use (without an LCD screen protector) should not have resulted in a screen defect.

The point of my post was to add an additional data point to the OP's post. And by adding a photo, my intent was to alert owners of this camera of a possible problem that might be encountered. Since my use has been in a controlled environment for only two months, I'm disappointed in finding this problem because I love the camera otherwise.

I'll let Sony fix the problem with my camera and won't speculate further on its cause.

-- hide signature --

Great points Joe! I'm disappointed this kind of thing still happens in OUR day!

Taken wit my Note 3. It looks as though it's coming up off the edge of the area it should be contained in. Maybe mis-applied or perhaps shifted. More likely mis-sized. I'm really surprised it slipped though like this.

RDMSguy Forum Member • Posts: 77

Richard Mauro wrote:

Taken wit my Note 3. It looks as though it's coming up off the edge of the area it should be contained in. Maybe mis-applied or perhaps shifted. More likely mis-sized. I'm really surprised it slipped though like this.

I actually had a similar looking defect starting on my A7. It was on the right side of the LCD, and not the left. I wasn't sure if it had always been there and I didn't notice it, or if it was something that started to occur over the month or so of ownership.

It's hard to tell from your photo, the defect in mine looked like it was under the glass. Your photo makes it look like its more on top of the glass? Reminds me of a cell phone defect I had back in the day where they didn't glue the glass down properly and it started to lift at one of the corners.

Either way, I'd send it in for repair.

I ended up getting an A7R instead, and after a month it hasn't shown any LCD defects at the edges of the screen like my A7 did. But i've been obsessively looking it over after each use looking for any signs of trouble.

Mine looks, as mentioned, as though it's peeling up off the edge. Good news is I buy from Amazon and since it's not been 30 days yet they are sending a replacement. I got on the phone with them this morning and it will be here Tuesday.

It does look like some smartphones that I also recall had those peeling screen issues.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads