New York for the weekend with my Monochrom and new 24 Summilux (Metro)

Started Feb 9, 2014 | Photos
Brendan Delaney Contributing Member • Posts: 674
New York for the weekend with my Monochrom and new 24 Summilux (Metro)

First cut of todays shots, Harlem and Tribeca still to work through...

Shame the uploading process on this site ruins the sharpness and definition of the files

-- hide signature --

www.brendandelaneyphotography.com
Street, Urban and Documentary Photography

Brendan Delaney's gear list:Brendan Delaney's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony Alpha a7R Sony FE 55mm F1.8
DavidGBK Senior Member • Posts: 1,062
Re: New York for the weekend with my Monochrom and new 24 Summilux (Metro)

Excellent series - you are getting some serious eye contact in no.2.

What are you using for framing with the 24 mm? Was cutting the lady on the LHS in no.2 intentional?

Regards

David

David28 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,104

Brendan Delaney wrote:

Brendan

A kicka$$ series of images and as previous person said - great eye contact. The last one has me sitting back in amazement - a testament to your great eye and gutsy attitude to street work. The MM and 24 make a formidable team in your hands. If there is one reason to own that 24 Lux, this is it.

I cannot wait to see the rest. Oh, did I say I love the images ??

David
Melbourne

Paul20
Paul20 Senior Member • Posts: 2,606

An enjoyable series Brendon.its good to see someone getting close to their subjects and not over processing the files. I love the rich blacks.

Paul
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47134895@N05/

Paul20's gear list:Paul20's gear list
Leica M9 Sony Alpha a7R II Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH
Toccata47 Senior Member • Posts: 2,800

Boring, meaningless, pointless. Like 99% of the detritus on this forum.

PSCL1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,712

These are excellent examples of the long-standing sub-genre of NYC subway photography. The people shots are fine, esp. that of the Allen Ginsbergesque gentleman.  However, I find the picture of the tunnel wall the most compelling because it is unique.

PSCL1's gear list:PSCL1's gear list
Leica X1 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N +27 more
OP Brendan Delaney Contributing Member • Posts: 674

DavidGBK wrote:

Excellent series - you are getting some serious eye contact in no.2.

What are you using for framing with the 24 mm? Was cutting the lady on the LHS in no.2 intentional?

Regards

David

Thanks David,

Thanks ++.

I don't use an accessory VF with the 24. It covers about 30% more than the edge of the frame, so I estimate.

I quite like the Winogrand, Tony Ray Jones style of people disappearing out of the frame, so I actually hope to get some of that in my approach.

Regards

Brendan

-- hide signature --

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I love the subway for how it brings people into contact, but 'doesn't'.... As a Londoner I understand that. NYC is special though as its so old and dirty as well. I love old and dirt in B&W, and the contrasting light with deep blacks and shiny metal surfaces is quite beautiful.

-- hide signature --

jeff hladun
jeff hladun Senior Member • Posts: 2,974

Toccata47 wrote:

I don't mind comments that are strongly worded or strongly critical of the imagery posted here, but there has to be some sort of fully stated, articulated reasoning behind them. Otherwise the critic comes across as spiteful, mean and vindictive.

Toccata, if you think the images are without merit, please give us the thinking behind your position. The comments you make above offer the poster or any of us nothing which promotes better photography, making what you write itself meaningless and pointless.

I feel the same way about the empty back-slapping positive commentary engaged in here, but empty positive comments aren't equal to empty negative comments, as at least they encourage the photographer to become better, albeit in a less efficient manner.

Edward48
Edward48 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,228

Toccata47 wrote:

Toccata47, we're for the most part just ordinary, everyday people enjoying and sharing our chosen hobby. It's not Magnum and no-one expects it to be. But I'm pleased you like 1% of what's here anyway.

Regards
Mike

Edward48's gear list:Edward48's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Leica Q Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1
Leo33 Senior Member • Posts: 2,858
Brendan

Nice set of b&w's. You made me homesick!

My Best,

Emil

Leo33's gear list:Leo33's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Fujifilm XF1
Daedalus2000
Daedalus2000 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,668

Toccata47 wrote:

As a mathematician, I can say with authority that the 99 is a highly inaccurate number in this case!

Daedalus2000 wrote:

Toccata47 wrote:

As a mathematician, I can say with authority that the 99 is a highly inaccurate number in this case!

Bravo!

Toccata47 wrote:

You have more patience and perseverance than I could ever muster. With those stats, I would have left a long time ago. However I beg to disagree on this occasion with your expressed sentiment - at least on the stats. I am sure I have seen at least 2% worth coming back for.

So what brings you here? Do tell.

David
Melbourne

David28 wrote:

David
Melbourne

A remembrance for the recent past when people prioritized decent photography (discussing, learning, expanding and occasionally making such), over mutually admiration. Most of the people that were interested or capable have left this forum and we're left with test shots, dog shots, parking lots of courthouses and black and white bum shots…all piled high with praise and admiration. It's the height of mediocrity.

In truth I rarely come to this forum anymore and am unlikely to do so moving forward.

Toccata47 wrote:

David28 wrote:

David
Melbourne

A remembrance for the recent past when people prioritized decent photography (discussing, learning, expanding and occasionally making such), over mutually admiration. Most of the people that were interested or capable have left this forum and we're left with test shots, dog shots, parking lots of courthouses and black and white bum shots…all piled high with praise and admiration. It's the height of mediocrity.

In truth I rarely come to this forum anymore and am unlikely to do so moving forward.

Now I know too courtesy of your response.

Seems a tad harsh to assume anyone with capability necessarily belong to the past. The truth is probably closer to the fact that cyber communities like this one evolve constantly and we each become attach to things and people perhaps, rendering ourselves not open to new and fresh visions and interpretations. God knows I have to remind myself  that there is no single benchmark against which to assess my own work - which ebbs and flows at the best of time in terms of generating anything remotely creative.

Finding a kind word for an image is just civil behaviour, no? This is hardly a forum for professional critique given the majority of participants appear to be casual shooters. There is NOTHING wrong here. I venture to say you likely walked through the wrong door and stayed too long.

Me .... I'm going to have to pop in every so often, if only to remind myself what mediocrity looks like.

Thank you for engaging and I bid you well sir.

David

My apologies to the OP

for digressing somewhat ,in my recent responses, from your original post.

David

Re: My apologies to the OP

Jeez......

What an obnoxious chap.. Who does he think he is????

Sorry, I don't feel like posting here again. I have other places and personal feedback from people I respect, so I don't need to bother with this.

Bye.

aston Regular Member • Posts: 107

wonderful street photography whow

charley Western Australia

OK, cooled off a bit. For those that liked the shots, here is part 2 of the series.

Constructive criticism is 'always' welcome, but if you think this sort of rubbish is equivalent to dogs and cat shots and clutters the form, and have nothing more useful to say, then kindly just click by.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads