Lens Compatibility

Started Feb 8, 2014 | Questions
rishi123 New Member • Posts: 1
Lens Compatibility

I have Nikon D70s Dslr. I bought sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 Non OS lens. When i took photo half portion of Photographs is dark.(Black). I do not understand this. Please, give me proper guidelines.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D70s
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
pixelless Contributing Member • Posts: 612
Re: Lens Compatibility

Unless something is wrong with the shutter curtain, and you are certain it is the lens (doesn´t happen with other lenses), it could be aperture blades stuck or one of the elements inside got loose/misaligned.

Parry Johnson Senior Member • Posts: 1,083

rishi123 wrote:

I have Nikon D70s Dslr. I bought sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 Non OS lens. When i took photo half portion of Photographs is dark.(Black). I do not understand this. Please, give me proper guidelines.

This sounds like a flash sync problem.  Even though other Nikons generally sync at 1/250 second, the D70s can synchronize with a flash at speeds up to 1/500 sec, but if you shot at, say, 1/1000 sec, then the focal plane shutter wasn't completely open when the flash fired.  Slower speeds should be no problem.

Check the EXIF data for your problem pictures.  If you were using a flash and the shutter speed was high, your problem is solved.  Otherwise, it's something else.

Parry Johnson's gear list:Parry Johnson's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +18 more
Parry Johnson Senior Member • Posts: 1,083

pixelless wrote:

Unless something is wrong with the shutter curtain, and you are certain it is the lens (doesn´t happen with other lenses), it could be aperture blades stuck or one of the elements inside got loose/misaligned.

A stuck aperture blade would only darken an uneven part of a picture, and then you'd also see a transitional area, especially at larger apertures.  With modern cameras and lenses with electronic contacts, you'll probably get an error message, as the shutter won't fire unless the aperture is fully closed to the set value.

A misaligned lens will be noticeable by severe distortion or uneven focusing.  Of course, if you hear the sound of broken glass or Michael Bolton, you know you have a serious problem!

Parry Johnson's gear list:Parry Johnson's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +18 more
eths
eths Contributing Member • Posts: 775

Just off the top of my head...

Using a flash?

1) Could be a shadow caused by the lens?

2) Shutter speed too high for flash syncing.

eths's gear list:eths's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha a7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +18 more
sillyconguru Veteran Member • Posts: 3,057

I doubt that it this a flash sync speed issue as the D70/D70s can sync up to 1/4000 due to it's interline CCD (the physical shutter only has a maximum speed of about 1/60). I'd suspect that the shutter curtains are not opening properly, the mirror isn't raising fully, or the built-in flash is being used and the lens is blocking the light.

sillyconguru's gear list:sillyconguru's gear list
Casio QV-5500SX Pentax Optio I-10 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon ELPH 100 HS Fujifilm X20 +54 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads