>>> Street Photography eXchange #84 <<<

Started Feb 7, 2014 | Discussions
naurholm Senior Member • Posts: 1,282
Re: No, Really

Glad to have the time again. Maybe you can tell me how I can carry over something from the last post? I'd truly like some input on the two crops of 'look into my eyes' as I'm really struggeling my self to decide between the two.

And regarding location I'd then say at the current time you're up pretty late What brings you to the states these days then?

-- hide signature --

Books make you smart, experience makes you wise, pick your poison.
In vita veritas est (In life truth is)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/naurholm/

2 from Malaysia

Taken in a small village in Malaysia, this girl is approximately 4 years old, I'll probably take the pictures from this place and turn into a small series but for now I'll leave you with this one. It's straight out the camera large JPEG with no edits done at all.

Curiousity is a virtue

This was the oldest man from the same village Yam Coco and he had such energy even a young one like me sometimes had problems keeping up with him. May he rest in peace. Also straight out the camera large JPEG unedited

Relaxing on the porch

Please feel free to give critique and any comments you might have

-- hide signature --

Boy in the slums of Manilla, Phillipines

Keep smiling no matter the hardships

Had a blessed day playing around with the children, most of them smiling more than most children I've played with in the west

-- hide signature --

MeaC Contributing Member • Posts: 563
Re: final frolics

Man...you really were inspired that evening.  Good series again .

have a nice day

MeaC

OP xtoph Veteran Member • Posts: 9,871
carryover for naurholm's 'which crop?'

from last spx thread, naurholm asked us which crop of the 'look into my eye' portrait we liked best. feel free to comment here, as the last thread closed pretty fast.

personally, naurholm, i just don't like selective desaturation very much, so i am predisposed against this picture. it's just my personal quirk--i like a picture either all in color, or all in bw.

in this shot, your title indicates it wants to be about the eyes, but then the riotous scarf demands attention and kind of overpowers the shot.

i think she looks good, though, and the vertical crop will probably look really good on your phone. i also think the jacket visible in the wider crop adds some interest. but if you do keep the partial desaturation, then i think there's no contest, between these two options i prefer the narrower vertical crop--dividing the color and bw portions into two halves works better imo than having color in one spot on the picture, and it shows her eyes better than the larger pic.

____

yeah, i am often up pretty late. the combination of teaching and research schedules mean that i often keep unusual hours. it looks like you've been doing quite a bit of traveling, yourself.

Re: carryover for naurholm's 'which crop?'

xtoph wrote:

from last spx thread, naurholm asked us which crop of the 'look into my eye' portrait we liked best. feel free to comment here, as the last thread closed pretty fast.

personally, naurholm, i just don't like selective desaturation very much, so i am predisposed against this picture. it's just my personal quirk--i like a picture either all in color, or all in bw.

in this shot, your title indicates it wants to be about the eyes, but then the riotous scarf demands attention and kind of overpowers the shot.

i think she looks good, though, and the vertical crop will probably look really good on your phone. i also think the jacket visible in the wider crop adds some interest. but if you do keep the partial desaturation, then i think there's no contest, between these two options i prefer the narrower vertical crop--dividing the color and bw portions into two halves works better imo than having color in one spot on the picture, and it shows her eyes better than the larger pic.

____

yeah, i am often up pretty late. the combination of teaching and research schedules mean that i often keep unusual hours. it looks like you've been doing quite a bit of traveling, yourself.

You do have a point to some extent. I'll try and grab the TIFF and upload one without the mask for partial coloration

-- hide signature --

All B/W

-- hide signature --

jeff hladun
jeff hladun Veteran Member • Posts: 3,132
Re: Mississippi River, Baton Rouge, Louisiana: by Robert Frank

xtoph wrote: i also agree that it's not always the case that a quarter-shot is necessarily weak.

Yes, I haven't figured out the requirements for a successful composition on the angle although I certainly agree that it can be made. I can see for example, how shooting in medium format/square format benefits from the angled image; maybe it has something to do with the way the square format emphasizes the double vanishing point in a way 2x3 format doesn't. Then there are the times when the photographer wants to emphasize the feeling of weakness, such as Frank's photo of the counter girl in the diner (the image in The Americans that follows the photo of the white infant in the arms of the black nanny), where the vanishing lines are present, no tilt is taken, and Frank's typical energy leaves the room. It can be used as an effective subjective editorial tool when psychological weakness is the message the photographer wants to get across.

It's definitely worth exploring the way to square the circle of the angled image towards a beneficial photo; to realize the moments when depth due to perspective enhances rather than diminishes; to realize the times when flattening the rear plane to the image support is less preferred to intentional depth. Maybe just being aware of the problems will lead the street photographer to make better photographs, in that knowing the way the default angled shot will be weak requires a conscious effort of judgement and decision to shoot either square-on or from the angle.

uaon99 New Member • Posts: 5
Re: >>> Street Photography eXchange #84 <<<

A temporary market last for 40 yrs is closing

uaon99's gear list:uaon99's gear list
Pentax K-3
Zubu Barunda Senior Member • Posts: 2,834
Attraction

love & peace

Pfffff.......... glad that everybody cooled down a bit since the  recent "fireworks" on this forum.

Let`s underline the spirit with a picture :

Have a nice weekend,

MeaC

Sal18 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,296
Thank you, Naurholm (nt)

no text

Sal18 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,296
Re: All B/W

I sure do like the first one of these two. I don't know how I missed it on the other thread, so I'm glad it got reposted.

Sal

fad
fad Forum Pro • Posts: 16,621
Re: All B/W

Selective desaturation - the narrow one, I agree with Chris.

However, I have an extreme prejudice against selective desat.   I in 10,000 may not come across as a gimmick.   Here, what is the reason for it.

BW - the larger crop.   Favorite overall.

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)
Always view all photos in Gallery or Original Size

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +19 more
Richy6771
Richy6771 Contributing Member • Posts: 730
Re: love & peace

MeaC wrote:

Pfffff.......... glad that everybody cooled down a bit since the recent "fireworks" on this forum.

Let`s underline the spirit with a picture :

Have a nice weekend,

MeaC

Very interesting dynamic shot. I find the information in the EXIF useful for educational purposes. There are some on this thread who don't provide EXIF info. Maybe they're shooting with a smartphone. Doesn't really matter.

Richy6771's gear list:Richy6771's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D600 Sony a7R III +1 more
sms

cheers !

MeaC

Re: love & peace

Thanks.   Yeah some do not provide their Exiff data wich is a pity sometimes.   For example recent shot of Frank with ISO 10000000021;-)   that was criticized because of  some noise .  When checking Exif info such comments can be improved.  Also other parameters are good to have at hand for those interested like you and me.

Have a nice day

MeaC

Re: >>> Street Photography eXchange #84 <<<

As a  former PENTAXIAN I should comment to your pic.  Nice wide angle.  Interesting shot.  Well done.

Hope you have more to show us.

CHeers

MeaC

4G63 Regular Member • Posts: 266
Re: Passengers & Baggages

naurholm wrote:

I love the idea of this photo, I'd like to see the window dogded a bit as the highlights catches my attention.
Are you a serviceman your self or did you just have the opportunity to do a story of some kind?

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, I am a full time Soldier.

Re: Passengers & Baggages

4G63 wrote:

naurholm wrote:

I love the idea of this photo, I'd like to see the window dogded a bit as the highlights catches my attention.
Are you a serviceman your self or did you just have the opportunity to do a story of some kind?

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, I am a full time Soldier.

My hat off for you. Not a believer in the cause but I do respect you guys because I know more than anything then you fight for te gu next to you.

hope to see more great captures from you

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads