Your opinion on Blu-Ray?

Started Feb 6, 2014 | Polls
SushiEater
SushiEater Veteran Member • Posts: 8,822
Maybe for you....

CAcreeks wrote:

malch wrote:

chillzatl wrote:

For movies, it's still the best thing going.

Maybe it is if you're a movie studio. From the standpoint of the consumer it pretty much sucks.

I agree with Malch here.

I do not want to own most movies. How am I supposed to rent a Blu-Ray movie nowadays? Wait for it to reach the top of my Netflix queue, then hope I am still interested when the BR disc finally arrives in the mail?

Much easier to select streaming on Netflix. Their UI is superbly friendly Who cares about surround sound and widescreen? Most shows are equally entertaining with low video quality.

But to me sound is equally important. I have 9.2 receiver and 10 speakers plus 80 inch TV. As you can guess I don't go to the movies anymore. It is much easier to buy BD, get it in the mail for less than 2 people go to movies (time, gas, tickets, food) plus ability to rewind (can't get that in the theater) and sub-titles. No, I can't get Dolby ATMOS at home but I can get close. Plus I can invite friends and have a party.

Can't get that with streaming and 5.1 system is a total crap compared to 9.1.

SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +13 more
Adrian Van Contributing Member • Posts: 684
Re: Your opinion on Blu-Ray?

Love Cyberlink. You could put in a disk and stop half way on a movie or a show. Put in a couple of other disks inbetween for kids, and when you put in the first disk, it will still play at the exact point you left from. Great program and came with my new Dell.

Regular DVDs may look okay from a distance but full HD BluRay trumps the quality anyday.

However there are some high quality MP4 format videos (or DivX AVIs) that are great to look at that are close to full Blu Ray quality if files are not too compressed. Look great on a 27 inch computer monitor.

Will consumers continue to watch DVD or BluRay years from now. Hard to say. For collectors of disks (DVD or Blu-Ray of movies or TV shows) from Best Buy, there still is a market for some buyers. I prefer watching my favourite season TV series shows on disk for ultimate convenience to fit my schedule instead of cable.

Adrian Van's gear list:Adrian Van's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Sony a77 II Nikon 85mm F1.8G
bronxbombers4 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,387
FANTASTIC!!!!

CAcreeks wrote:

Steve Jobs disliked Blu-Ray ("bag of hurt") and Apple still doesn't support it well. You can buy a Windows PC with Blu-Ray drive, usually as an extra-cost option. Blockbuster is gone and relatively few consumers buy Blu-Ray movies. Nonetheless Blu-Ray seems good for archiving, with better theoretical longevity than DVD.

So much better than DVD! You gotta get it!

What's the point of HDTV without blu-ray?

Netflix streaming is a joke in comparison and many hi-def TV stations have been compressed rather much these days too.

Re: FANTASTIC!!!!

Although I see you were talking about for archiving (but honestly if you watch any movies at all you gotta get it!) and well it's now same price per MB to burn to blu-ray and it it burns so much faster per MB and take so much room per MB than I've totally switched from DVD to blu-ray. Plus I think hink they either are about to or just did come up with a write once special sort of blu-ray that burns to 1000 year standards or something. I need to burn all my photos over to those.

malch wrote:

chillzatl wrote:

For movies, it's still the best thing going.

Maybe it is if you're a movie studio. From the standpoint of the consumer it pretty much sucks.

nah DVD is bad and streaming is worse than a joke (streaming uses up most of the internet bandwidth in the U.S. and for that we get higher broad band bills each month and people get crappy video and audio, such a waste compared to physical media, save the bandwidth for streaming sports and youtube video or whatnot that would never end up on physical media instead)

The combination of these newer optical disks and a blue laser do offer greater recording densities than the DVD's they were intended to replace.

The remainder of the BluRay related standards are purely concerned with Digital Rights Management and the desire of the copyright holders to control what you can and cannot do with that premium priced disk you just bought. If you cut through all of the motion picture industry propaganda, there's practically nothing in it from the consumer perspective.

Thankfully we have things like AnyDVD HD.

malch wrote:

CAcreeks wrote:

I do not want to own most movies. How am I supposed to rent a Blu-Ray movie nowadays? Wait for it to reach the top of my Netflix queue, then hope I am still interested when the BR disc finally arrives in the mail?

Much easier to select streaming on Netflix. Their UI is superbly friendly Who cares about surround sound and widescreen? Most shows are equally entertaining with low video quality.

Sadly, the movie industry appears to have learned the square root of sweet nothing from the music industry when it comes to distribution. They still no clue what consumers really want and need. And, once again, the only people addressing consumer needs are the pirates.

Wouldn't it be great if we could download a movie in full HD with 5/7-channel audio to a disk drive and be able to play it on any computer or TV in the house? It's not only feasible -- all of the necessary hardware and software is readily available and very inexpensive. So is the content even if the available sources are all illegal.

The only obstacle is the movie industry business model.

To be fair, it's not just Hollywood. The cable TV and consumer electronics industries aren't much better. Next up: TV makers will be pushing 4K on us. Maybe they can even lobby congress for a mandate (like digital TV)? Can't wait to see how they expect to produce or deliver any content. 3D worked out so well, right?

Given the enormity of the combined market size, you'd really think this set of industries would have their act together, just a tiny bit.

The problem is internet bandwidth, which is already choking on current low quality netflix. And it cost the studios more money to store and send out 25-40GB per movie than 1-4GB. Plus with physical media once you have it or a rental place has it, it's there, Netlflix constant;y pulls this or that and what if they don't have the version you want and what about extras/commentary? Some distribution fight happens and then this or that movie gets pulled for who knows how many years. I hate the streaming model. It's all big business wants though/

kelpdiver wrote:

malch wrote:

To be fair, it's not just Hollywood. The cable TV and consumer electronics industries aren't much better. Next up: TV makers will be pushing 4K on us. Maybe they can even lobby congress for a mandate (like digital TV)? Can't wait to see how they expect to produce or deliver any content. 3D worked out so well, right?

No one is forcing 4k on us - we've (especially photographers) have been clamoring for it. And 2 person gaming will benefit tremendously.

exactly, bring it on already!

Re: Redbox?

kelpdiver wrote:

CAcreeks wrote:

Worth trying, thanks! Looks like there are several kiosks nearby.

Hopefully they have a good selection. Does not look great for old titles, so perhaps Redbox is best for watching current releases.

You can use redbox for newer stuff, and then netflix mailed disks work fine for older.

sometimes local libaries have 100-200 blu-ray titles that you can take out for free

I stil wish blockbuster online blu-ray and physical stores hadn't gone under though. I hate the Netflix model.

Adrian Van wrote:

Love Cyberlink. You could put in a disk and stop half way on a movie or a show. Put in a couple of other disks inbetween for kids, and when you put in the first disk, it will still play at the exact point you left from. Great program and came with my new Dell.

Regular DVDs may look okay from a distance but full HD BluRay trumps the quality anyday.

However there are some high quality MP4 format videos (or DivX AVIs) that are great to look at that are close to full Blu Ray quality if files are not too compressed. Look great on a 27 inch computer monitor.

Will consumers continue to watch DVD or BluRay years from now. Hard to say. For collectors of disks (DVD or Blu-Ray of movies or TV shows) from Best Buy, there still is a market for some buyers. I prefer watching my favourite season TV series shows on disk for ultimate convenience to fit my schedule instead of cable.

If you want the best audio and use analog out, get the .dll from old versions of TrueTheaterHD and then hook that into Media Player Classic and download the high quality render plug-ins and use AnyDVD HD and you can get analog out without down sampling (to get around the absolutely absurd protected audio path nonsense which is the most absurd DRM in history, it DOES zero for studios since nobody pirates and spreads 24bit tracks from blu-ray anyway, and just P.O. their paying customers and, ironically, gets them digging into all sorts of things) and you can get old DVDs scaled better.

gs85739az wrote:

CAcreeks wrote:

Steve Jobs disliked Blu-Ray ("bag of hurt") and Apple still doesn't support it well. You can buy a Windows PC with Blu-Ray drive, usually as an extra-cost option. Blockbuster is gone and relatively few consumers buy Blu-Ray movies. Nonetheless Blu-Ray seems good for archiving, with better theoretical longevity than DVD.

Wow, you've been missing out BIG TIME.

Re: The you tube generation....

glasswave wrote:

CAcreeks wrote:

They just don't care how good their media is, as long as there is lots of it. Mp3's sound like crap compared to CD's but I can have 10,000 songs. Reality TV sucks, but I have 200 channels of it. Streaming vids look like junk, but I can stream 1000's of vids.

Nobody's watching true 1080p yet they think we'll alll go buy 4k tv sets to watch 720p signals through cable or netflix which is often only upsamples from 480p.

When I was young, we wanted nice stereos in our cars because they sounded good. Now they just want to get a boomy car stereo to get other people to look at em.

Yeah it's a shame and I do fear the day when people look BACK to the past and talk in amazement about how crisp the video used to be and how amazing the audio and how you it's just not possible to see or listen to things the way you used to be able to do.

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 14,338

bronxbombers4 wrote:

nah DVD is bad and streaming is worse than a joke (streaming uses up most of the internet bandwidth in the U.S. and for that we get higher broad band bills each month and people get crappy video and audio, such a waste compared to physical media, save the bandwidth for streaming sports and youtube video or whatnot that would never end up on physical media instead)

I don't disagree with you.

I don't especially like optical disks or streaming. So, how about being able to download (not stream) a movie in almost any quality you like (incl. full BluRay)? And then play it on pretty much any computer or TV that you like, where you like, when you like? That's exactly what I want.

Technically, it's all 100% viable. Unfortunately, the only people offering that service are the illegal piracy sites. But they are doing it and all of the technology works.

I'd much rather download to a shared hard drive than purchase an optical disk and then spend time ripping it. But it's not a legit option.

The entire entertainment segment sucketh. Who actually wants to subscribe to 150-300 cable channels for the 5 you actually want to watch now and again?

Despite the relatively poor quality, I do subscribe to Netflix because it's convenient and I consider the $8/mo fee very reasonable (unlike the $80/mo that my local cable operator wants).

CAcreeks
OP CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 12,825
Re: the point of HDTV without Blu-Ray

bronxbombers4 wrote:

We have a BD player, but I have not yet watched a single Blu-Ray movie on it. When my daughter was home for Xmas we had a Lord of the Rings marathon on her PC, because we couldn't figure out how to hook up the BD player and TV. Also, believe it or not, sound quality on our HDTV is worse than on her Dell laptop.

Football, hockey, and winter Olympics (yay!) are much better in HD than before.

Netflix streaming is a joke in comparison...

Not from the convenience standpoint. It is cable and home theater that is a joke in that regard. Who wants to watch programs when some network honcho decides to broadcast them? Reruns are always shown out-of-order, which I do not appreciate.

Back to photography - I really enjoy using my tablet to view photo galleries online. Better color and higher resolution than my laptop!

kelpdiver Veteran Member • Posts: 3,506

malch wrote:

I don't especially like optical disks or streaming. So, how about being able to download (not stream) a movie in almost any quality you like (incl. full BluRay)? And then play it on pretty much any computer or TV that you like, where you like, when you like? That's exactly what I want.

Technically, it's all 100% viable. Unfortunately, the only people offering that service are the illegal piracy sites. But they are doing it and all of the technology works.

I believe the newest Tivo (Roamio) comes pretty close to what you seek.   All DVRs are storing locally and are increasingly allowing you to get it from tablets and other devices, though not to the point where it's a simple .mp4 file on your network - bring your own viewer.

And you know why that it.  You're rarely going to see completely open files because people have shown pretty clearly that they will take advantage of such easily copied stuff.  Amazon music is close, but it does stick your identity onto the mp3 files.

CAcreeks wrote:

We have a BD player, but I have not yet watched a single Blu-Ray movie on it. When my daughter was home for Xmas we had a Lord of the Rings marathon on her PC, because we couldn't figure out how to hook up the BD player and TV. Also, believe it or not, sound quality on our HDTV is worse than on her Dell laptop.

Insert one end of hdmi cable into TV.  Insert other end into BD player.  Press play.

malch wrote:

bronxbombers4 wrote:

I don't disagree with you.

I'd much rather download to a shared hard drive than purchase an optical disk and then spend time ripping it. But it's not a legit option.

The entire entertainment segment sucketh. Who actually wants to subscribe to 150-300 cable channels for the 5 you actually want to watch now and again?

Despite the relatively poor quality, I do subscribe to Netflix because it's convenient and I consider the $8/mo fee very reasonable (unlike the $80/mo that my local cable operator wants).

Yeah it's possible (although constant 40GB downloads would stress the net a lot) but the problem is you will get DRM of types FAR worse than on blu-ray, if they gave up DRM, then and only then.

Heck they still cry about not wanting to provide bandwith for people to download uncompressed music files or to put those up without DRM.

Adrian Van wrote:

Adrian - blu-rays are encoded in either H.264 (mp4-part 10) or VC-1, @ the 1920x1080 resolution.   Most of the blu-ray standard is just conventions around authoring so that set top players can reliably handle them.   There's no reason mp4 or other formats can't match it or exceed it in terms of video or audio quality.

It is common to apply higher compression rates to files that are transferred around to get the byte size down, but that's just a choice.

CAcreeks wrote:

bronxbombers4 wrote:

Hmm well TV audio stinks, you gotta hook it up to speakers.

All you need is HDMI cable from blu-ray player to HDTV and you are done. One cable from HDMI port to HDMI and two plugs in the wall. That's it (unless you add speakers, which believe me makes a HUGE difference!).

Football, hockey, and winter Olympics (yay!) are much better in HD than before.

Netflix streaming is a joke in comparison...

Not from the convenience standpoint. It is cable and home theater that is a joke in that regard. Who wants to watch programs when some network honcho decides to broadcast them? Reruns are always shown out-of-order, which I do not appreciate.

blu-ray you watch whenever you want, plus you can watch the edition you want and not what edition Netflix decides to carry. Netflix constantly removes titles, sometimes mega-hits, for no apparent reason. Distribution fights occur all the time and thing will disappear from streaming for who knows how long. No extra, no commentaries for the times you want that. By the time you download from netflix you could've drive to blockbuster and back and if you already own the blu-ray, nothing is more instant than that.

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 14,338

bronxbombers4 wrote:

Yeah it's possible (although constant 40GB downloads would stress the net a lot) but the problem is you will get DRM of types FAR worse than on blu-ray, if they gave up DRM, then and only then.

Let the industry DRM itself to death. Perhaps, then, someone will make a fresh start and develop a business model that works for content providers and consumers.

As for the 40GB downloads, I think consumers would opt for more highly compressed versions most of the time. Sure, some of the people want the full 40GB some of the time. But most will opt for 2-6GB most of the time (if given the choices).

Just as most are happy with 128bps MP3's even though some require nothing less than a FLAC.

kelpdiver wrote:

CAcreeks wrote:

Insert one end of hdmi cable into TV. Insert other end into BD player. Press play.

Yeah, I honestly don't get it. I mean signing-up and getting Netflix going is more complicated than that.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads