rx100 Winter Walk About, Snow Covered Houses

Started Feb 4, 2014 | Discussions
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 15,544
rx100 Winter Walk About, Snow Covered Houses

first, the rx100 accessories needed

I could not see a doggone thing in the LCD. Not framing, not focus, not change to shutter speed, NADA.

My place, split level, built after WWII, nestled among OLDER HOMES

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 15,544
Re: rx100 Winter Walk About, Snow Covered Houses

Some have seen some of these houses in the spring and fall. Because I could not see anything in the lcd, I used multi area focus

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more

-- hide signature --

Elliott

I'm so happy to have gotten out, seriously sick of test shots.

lastly, a later shot of this house I shot earlier in the walk, different light

-- hide signature --

Elliott

gregp701 Contributing Member • Posts: 639

These are great Elliot! It's still hard to believe a camera this small makes images this good! Awesome work and thanks for sharing them!

gregp701's gear list:gregp701's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony RX10 II Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +7 more
Digital Nigel Veteran Member • Posts: 7,120

Did the screen must up in the cold? It's lucky the lens didn't, too.

I'm impressed with how well the camera handled the snowy scenes -- usually they come out under-exposed unless you intervene. Is that amount of snow normal for early Feb?

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +15 more
Trafford
Trafford Veteran Member • Posts: 8,255

very inspiring work, I love the chain link fence one, the patterns are so unique.

It takes a lot of motivation to venture out when the weather is like that.

gregp701 wrote:

These are great Elliot! It's still hard to believe a camera this small makes images this good! Awesome work and thanks for sharing them!

Thanks for the compliments. The subject always helps. The architectural elements of these houses are highlighted with Christmas lights (I couldn't get out then, broken bone in foot) and with nice clean snow on them. You have to get out after people leave for work to have less cars in the driveways, etc., and a day with no garbage cans everywhere, then you need some sun for shadows and nice skies which helps with the great roof lines of these houses. It's nice if the lawns are not to tromped. It was grey, the clouds moved, shadows appeared, I had a plan. Also, the older homes don't have good insulation, so the snow on the roofs starts to go, losing the pure roof shapes, so you can't wait too long.

The camera surely can be complimented. If I had used my R1, I could have used the EVF, but I am so in the habit of the rx100 that I forget I still have the R1. I am quite happy with what the camera gave me.

I was quite concerned about what I would get using multi area focusing, my default is center, and I go to flexible spot often, and lately I have used Manual a lot, with magnification and focus peaking. When I wanted focus on a fence grid for instance, I zoomed as much as I could, hoping the multi area would see what I wanted it to, as well as the metering. I could not see the green boxes, so I had no clue as to what it found/picked. I shoot thru trees often at a zoomed detail beyond, those shots worked quite well also. Like this one which I did not expect to work.

I couldn't see much, but I could find the edge elements that I wanted, the top of the tree shown, the lamp post on the right, etc., which helped me determine how far I zoomed. You need to stay out a bit more than you want, because you can't see the level on the lcd, so you might have to rotate a bit later, which will require cropping, your edges might get compromised. With this camera, trust the sensor and it's lens that you can crop later. This one needed straightening and I had to crop closer, and when you do, if something is crooked, you notice it more. That light fixture looks great at night. I noticed it's shadow later.

I cut the exposure way back, and changed to exposure bracketing, .7. Then, I went from my trusty 1/60th to 1/250th, to force a smaller aperture for DOF and to cut the too much light. Surprisingly, there was no real difference with the -.7, there was an occasional visibly different +.7 when there were more shadows or darker angles. Couldn't see to change it, so I just stayed cut thinking I could lighten later if needed. Surprisingly, all are OOC except this one was lightened.

I carried the camera 'outside', dangling from my wrist, or palmed facing down to avoid falling or blown snow from getting on the lens. I set the power off to 5 minutes, so the lens stayed the same temperature as the cold air to avoid possible moisture on the lens from temperature changes. At one time, the zoom function stopped working, I found the corner was very cold, I shut it off, back on, which got it back to wide, and shot wide, while concentrating on keeping my hand around the zoom lever corner. After a while, it warmed up enough to zoom again. It was cold, but not windy, and I was in the sun most of the time, so no hat or ear muffs were needed. Those mittens that let you expose the ends of your fingers when needed are terrific, no way could I have done well with gloves on, my hands are big and the buttons are small.

My raised felt button on the shutter button helped quite a bit, I could not have pressed that flat small smooth shutter button.

When you have so many opportunities so close together, you don't notice how cold you are, until you go into the shadows, so I encourage others to brave the cold.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Trafford wrote:

very inspiring work, I love the chain link fence one, the patterns are so unique.

It takes a lot of motivation to venture out when the weather is like that.

Glad you like it. I always look for patterns, it was hard because I couldn't see to focus, so I zoomed enough hoping to get multi-area focus to see what I saw, yet wide enough to crop later.

It took me a while, but I settled on my crop from this original. How might you have cropped it?

my crop

I also went back and forth on this one. Tried closer crops to see the rhythm of the post tops in more detail, but decided to leave the end of the fence in. Didn't like the emphasis on the shadow on the fence when cropped closer. Had to straighten it to get the first slat straight. Other ideas?

I thought there would be potential here, tennis net in the background, just can't find anything.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Digital Nigel wrote:

Did the screen must up in the cold? It's lucky the lens didn't, too.

I have thin film on my lcd, it never misted over. It wasn't luck, you leave the camera open, walk around with the lens pointed down, keeping the lens temperature same as the air temperature, no mist. At one point, the zoom corner got so cold it refused to zoom. Turned it off, back on, shot wide, held hand over the corner, it warmed up and zoomed again.

I'm impressed with how well the camera handled the snowy scenes -- usually they come out under-exposed unless you intervene. Is that amount of snow normal for early Feb?

I cut the exposure quite a bit, they would have been overexposed. I had to also use higher f stop for dof and to cut the light, and faster shutter to cut the too much light.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Digital Nigel Veteran Member • Posts: 7,120

Yes, I can see it's no accident that these pics look so good. It's clear that you've planned and executed these shots very carefully. Well done!

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +15 more
hapster
hapster Veteran Member • Posts: 3,471
Looks like a

beautiful day to take the RX100 for a walk

Nice colors...I enjoyed the tour of your hood!

hapster's gear list:hapster's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 V Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 +2 more

Digital Nigel wrote:

Is that amount of snow normal for early Feb?

We have more coming, which is why I had to get some sun and shadows yesterday. Yes, lots of snow and ice is normal here.

Today, we are getting an ice storm, on top of the snow, making things heavy, may lose more branches, trees, power lines down.

glad you asked this, I realized I have to dig out again and get gas for my generator before power is lost. Eight days after Sandy due to the 100 mph winds we had here. This might be 2-3 days if it gets bad.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 36,325

elliottnewcomb wrote:

I could not see a doggone thing in the LCD. Not framing, not focus, not change to shutter speed, NADA.

Now, I Don't have that problem!!!

Nice pics anyway.....

-- hide signature --
 Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more

Bill Borne wrote:

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Now, I Don'thave that problem!!!

Nice pics anyway.....

I can take it from you Bill, but if Harvey were to write saying 'Well, the RX10 has an EVF', that would be hard to take.

I am so glad I got off my ass, that was the one and only time everything looked so fresh. I'm off to see Ava for a few hours, that will be a treat.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Re: Looks like a

hapster wrote:

Thanks, it is a great hood. I bought this 'Handy Man Special' in 1978 which is how I got in here.

I have just about worn the hood out, Fall when the rx100 was new, then Hurricane Sandy, nothing that winter I recall, then Spring, not much in Summer, this fall would have been redundant, now this Winter.

I'm going to have to drive to other places. Hopefully, I will be sitting watching my new tv until Spring. Replacement for damaged one due next week.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Re: Looks like a

hapster wrote:

The Hood other years, mostly with R1

Big house was white till they stripped the paint off it.

Guess I like this composition, these are a year apart

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Is that amount of snow normal for early Feb?

We have more coming, which is why I had to get some sun and shadows yesterday. Yes, lots of snow and ice is normal here.

Today, we are getting an ice storm, on top of the snow, making things heavy, may lose more branches, trees, power lines down.

glad you asked this, I realized I have to dig out again and get gas for my generator before power is lost. Eight days after Sandy due to the 100 mph winds we had here. This might be 2-3 days if it gets bad.

No power loss, but nearly a new plant in the living room (or should I say tree).

-- hide signature --

Elliott

42 deg South New Member • Posts: 12

Elliott,

You should move the Southern (and nicer) Hemisphere. Severe heatwave conditions over the next few days in my parts.

By the way, what is all that white stuff in your photos ?

42 deg South wrote:

Elliott,

You should move the Southern (and nicer) Hemisphere. Severe heatwave conditions over the next few days in my parts.

By the way, what is all that white stuff in your photos ?

you mean this white stuff?

st patricks day one year, have had two like this

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads