Dear Canon, please say something!

Started Feb 4, 2014 | Discussions
Howard
Howard Senior Member • Posts: 1,849
Dear Canon, please say something!

Let me say, I know there are a few people here on this and other forums who won't tolerate any criticism of Canon, that I am not an "eager upgrader" at all. In fact, both my DSLRs are obsolete models (5D II and 50D), and they are both still capable tools.

However, I have been waiting for the successor to the 7D for some time now. A better sensor (higher pixel density, better high ISO performance) and probably better AF will make it a dream machine for bird and wildlife photographers.

I find Canon's silence regarding the development (or lack there of) of this model deafening. I mean, if Canon is to discontinue this line, then say that. If they have a plan for it to come out, then tell us. Why this long, frustrating silence?

-- hide signature --

Howard
cameras: 5DII, 50D, D60, Rebel 2000 (film)
lenses: 17-40 f/4 USM L, 24-105 f/4 USM L, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 IS USM L, 24 f/3.5 TSE L, 35 f/2, 50 f/1.4 USM, 100 f/2.8 IS USM Macro L, 300 f/2.8 IS USM II, 430 EX II, 270 EX II, EF 1.4x TC III, EF 2x TC III, Kenko Pro 300 1.4x TC
personal website: http://www.travelerathome.com
blog: http://travelerathome.wordpress.com

Howard's gear list:Howard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sony a6000 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +7 more
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bruxi
bruxi Regular Member • Posts: 318
Re: Dear Canon, please say something!

It makes no sense to reveal what they are doing, and it makes no sense to reveal what they are not doing.

bruxi's gear list:bruxi's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM
Lanidrac Veteran Member • Posts: 8,027
You never owned a 7D

How do you know what WE 7D users know and enjoy? Why isn't your older FF 5D enough?

-- hide signature --
 Lanidrac's gear list:Lanidrac's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
riknash Veteran Member • Posts: 6,662

Don't be stiffled by Canon's deafening silence. I really think they did a few about-faces as newer technology preempted their intended designs. Better to have a new tool that has significant technical distinction over the present models including the 1DX and 5D MK III. They probably had to rework the.cocktail napkin drawings a few times... I just hope I'm still interested in it once it comes to market.

riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
Lanidrac Veteran Member • Posts: 8,027
Stiffling conjecture

riknash wrote:

Don't be stiffled by Canon's deafening silence. I really think they did a few about-faces as newer technology preempted their intended designs. Better to have a new tool that has significant technical distinction over the present models including the 1DX and 5D MK III. They probably had to rework the.cocktail napkin drawings a few times... I just hope I'm still interested in it once it comes to market.

If you own a 5DIII, why do you care about a new 7D, Rik? Isn't the full frame 5DIII a "vastly superior" camera to the 7D?

Who really cares if you are still interested in it when it comes out? If a 5DIII is not enough camera for you, what is?

Rgrds.

Lanidrac's gear list:Lanidrac's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
DVT80111 Senior Member • Posts: 2,818
7DII will not be profitable

Not too many people will pay $1500 for a 70D with a larger and heavier magnesium body. The 7D market has been squeezed by 70D and 6D/5DIII such that offering a 7DII make no marketing sense.

The only way, which we are all waiting for, a breakthrough sensor.

DVT80111's gear list:DVT80111's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7R II
aftab
aftab Veteran Member • Posts: 9,456

Howard wrote:

I find Canon's silence regarding the development (or lack there of) of this model deafening. I mean, if Canon is to discontinue this line, then say that. If they have a plan for it to come out, then tell us. Why this long, frustrating silence?

-- hide signature --

Howard
lenses: 17-40 f/4 USM L, 24-105 f/4 USM L, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 IS USM L, 24 f/3.5 TSE L, 35 f/2, 50 f/1.4 USM, 100 f/2.8 IS USM Macro L, 300 f/2.8 IS USM II, 430 EX II, 270 EX II, EF 1.4x TC III, EF 2x TC III, Kenko Pro 300 1.4x TC

http://www.canonwatch.com/interview-with-canons-tian-rong-makoto-7d-ii-not-a-story-of-the-day-so-far/

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

aftab's gear list:aftab's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon G1 X II Nikon D600 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II +9 more
Stakeouttoo
Stakeouttoo Contributing Member • Posts: 958

Howard wrote:

-- hide signature --

Howard

I agree 1000%.. I too am looking to Upgrade to a 7dMkII.. doesn't look good.. the way Canon has been going in recent past-----must be that Nikon will come out with their d400 first to replace their d300 which also has been the same as Canon has been doing--- so who will make the move first..wait wait and more wait--..both companies might even scrap the anticipated upgrades with the 70d and the d7100 already out

-- hide signature --

Ray
my Canon 60d sure beats using that ol' Petri 7s

Stakeouttoo's gear list:Stakeouttoo's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +6 more
Howard
OP Howard Senior Member • Posts: 1,849
That was from a year ago

That was from a year ago

-- hide signature --

Howard

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sony a6000 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +7 more
Jerry-astro
Jerry-astro Veteran Member • Posts: 8,476
Balderdash

DVT80111 wrote:

Not too many people will pay $1500 for a 70D with a larger and heavier magnesium body. The 7D market has been squeezed by 70D and 6D/5DIII such that offering a 7DII make no marketing sense.

Sorry, but this is clueless. People have already paid that much (for years until the price dropped) for the "larger and heavier" 7D. I would have suspected a successor to the 60D to have a lot of the 7D's functionality and some new twists... and lo and behold, it did. Yet in many ways, it still falls short of the 7D.  Perhaps some 7D owners have replaced their cameras with 70Ds but a whole lot others (with a little patience) are willing to wait. The 7D in no way has been squeezed (IMHO) by an entry level FF camera unless you were already seriously considering FF and are willing to live with a major step down in AF.

There's plenty of room above the 70D for innovation and new technology at a price. And, I'm sorry, but this notion of a 7DMk2 somehow being squeezed out of the market seems very lame, at least to me.

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
Joe Pa Senior Member • Posts: 1,807
Re: Short Romance

Canon isn't going to show their hand (camera) before it's ready for market.  They and others have been burned by releasing specs too early and then getting trumped by their faster moving competition.

As for a 7D replacement, the 7D has stood the test of time quite well, and it still produces amazing images.  I think it's interesting that we have such short romances with our gear.  What produced great images 3-4 years ago now suddenly isn't good enough so we scream for something new and get angry at the manufacturers for not giving us our "fix".

I guess it's Canon's and others fault that we're been trained to only like our cameras for a few years and then must move on to something newer and maybe better.

Joe Pa's gear list:Joe Pa's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Olympus Tough TG-4 Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +32 more
rrccad Forum Pro • Posts: 10,516
Re: Balderdash

Jerry-astro wrote:

DVT80111 wrote:

no we're not. lol.  most are waiting for an improved body with the same ergonomics and build quality of the line that was inherited from the XXD series

Sorry, but this is clueless. People have already paid that much (for years until the price dropped) for the "larger and heavier" 7D. I would have suspected a successor to the 60D to have a lot of the 7D's functionality and some new twists... and lo and behold, it did. Yet in many ways, it still falls short of the 7D. Perhaps some 7D owners have replaced their cameras with 70Ds but a whole lot others (with a little patience) are willing to wait. The 7D in no way has been squeezed (IMHO) by an entry level FF camera unless you were already seriously considering FF and are willing to live with a major step down in AF.

There's plenty of room above the 70D for innovation and new technology at a price. And, I'm sorry, but this notion of a 7DMk2 somehow being squeezed out of the market seems very lame, at least to me.

i guess it's more units of scale .. only canon knows how many 7D's were sold at what price and what they feel the market can bear.

that being said, with the feature set of the 70D it's going to have to be more than a little faster with dual card slots and a better build to justify much of a price hike.

I'm not sure that a 10fps, aps-c 20Mp, dual card slots full mag allow 100% viewfinder 7D mark II isn't much more than a bleh me too release.

rrccad's gear list:rrccad's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP1 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II +2 more
Jerry-astro
Jerry-astro Veteran Member • Posts: 8,476
Re: Balderdash

rrccad wrote:

i guess it's more units of scale .. only canon knows how many 7D's were sold at what price and what they feel the market can bear.

that being said, with the feature set of the 70D it's going to have to be more than a little faster with dual card slots and a better build to justify much of a price hike.

I'm not sure that a 10fps, aps-c 20Mp, dual card slots full mag allow 100% viewfinder 7D mark II isn't much more than a bleh me too release.

Everyone has their own view of what would hit critical mass for a 7D replacement. I think the 70D surprised a lot of folks (myself included) with some unexpected features and innovation. Near as I can tell, it's been a real hit and I see very little in the way of complaints here from people who've gone that route. I am expecting (well… hoping anyway) Canon will take a similar leap with the 7DMk2 that they did with the 70D and the original 7D and bring on some real innovation. Simple dolling up the 70D with some better ergonomics and a slightly enhanced focus system won't impress anyone or command much of a price increase.

I've waiting this long, so a few more months are just fine… meanwhile my 7D is doing a terrific job and it still way outshines my own capabilities. I think some people here simply get antsy for a replacement whether they really need it or not. I'm anxious to see what Canon has up their sleeves but find it hard to relate to the strong frustration that some folks here seem to have about the fact that it's taking longer than expected for the 7D replacement to show up. It'll be fun to read the comments from people that give up and go to Nikon once the Mk2 finally shows up.

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
David Hull
David Hull Veteran Member • Posts: 6,019
Re: Dear Canon, please say something! -- check out Canon Rumors

Lots of rumors there about a prototype or pre-pro model showing up at the Olympics. There are just rumors, of course, but don't expect Canon to pre-announce as they seldom if ever do that unless there is a business benefit to doing so which is seldom the case.

Look up "Osborne Effect" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect

-- hide signature --
 David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Howard
OP Howard Senior Member • Posts: 1,849
no rumors please

we want announcement, not just made-up hot air.

-- hide signature --

Howard

ESfishdoc
ESfishdoc Senior Member • Posts: 1,896
Re: no rumors please

Howard wrote:

-- hide signature --

Howard

...makes me think of the koan... what is the sound of one hand clapping...

Richard

ESfishdoc's gear list:ESfishdoc's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +6 more
David Hull
Re: no rumors please

Howard wrote:

Just hang in there, sounds like you will get one in Q2 (if the rumors are to be believed ).

-- hide signature --

Howard

-- hide signature --
David Hull
Re: 7DII will not be profitable

DVT80111 wrote:

The 70D has a "breakthrough sensor" and there are probably some people looking for an affordable camera body with a very high firing rate -- which is what the 7D should be.

-- hide signature --
John_A_G Veteran Member • Posts: 7,423
exactly

There is ZERO business reason for Canon to reveal their plans.

First and foremost, there is very little business reason to bring a 7dII to market right now.  Why?  Where else are people that want it going to go?  Nikon has no replacement for the d300s.  And while Pentax' K-3 seems to be a very fine camera, Pentax lacks the super tele lenses to really draw many people away from Canon or Nikon.

So, people can choose from the less-expensive-to-make 70d or the higher profit margin full frame offerings.  Either of which makes a lot more business sense than a 7d replacement.

Canon and Nikon certainly have the ability to release replacements for these two APS-C stalwarts but neither does so because there is no good reason to.

In fact, Canon has already gone on the record that it believes the upper end of the market will be full frame, not APS-C.

Of course, it is foolish to state there will be no 7d replacement because then anyone wanting one will jump ship.

By staying quiet, Canon is betting people will simply select one of the available models because there isn't a great alternative in another system.

mikero Contributing Member • Posts: 539
Re: exactly

As I said somewhere else on this forum, no need for a 7DII until there is a D400, and vice versa.  In the meantime, people are migrating to FF with higher margins for both Canon and Nikon, and the possibility of more high end lens sales.  I just don't think we will see a 7DII (or D400) until the other one blinks.  It's all part of the strategy for higher margins in a difficult climate, and bears no relationship to what people think they want.

Just a view.

Mike

mikero's gear list:mikero's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads