Newbie gear question 2300 budget.

Started Feb 3, 2014 | Discussions
juvx
OP juvx Senior Member • Posts: 1,536
Re: Some questions

Tom_N wrote:

juvx wrote:

I really dont get the budget statement Im trying to fit camera + lens into a certain budget. It might be perfect but im trying to get the most bang for my buck given the shooting conditions and budget.

It's simple. If you choose the gear entirely according to budget/price, you'll be tempted to overlook whether the gear is actually suitable for the type of photography you plan to do. A lot of people post with expectations of spending much less than your budget, yet expect that low-end equipment will do a top-rate job at difficult tasks like low-light indoor sports photography.

That's an unrealistic expectation. So if you know a bit about what you need the camera to do, you can approach it from that end, as to what gear will make it easier to achieve that goal. That's not to say that you must abandon your budget, but that you should know what the options and tradeoffs are.

To simplify things lets forget the indoor sports because i know thats the most expensive thing to shoot well. My main goal will be street / travel, low light sometimes, high dynamic range. And i only shoot raw. Im OK with Lightroom and photoshop editing and know what i'm doing.

juvx's gear list:juvx's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a6500 Sony a9 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony FE 35mm F1.4 +4 more
Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 13,702
Re: Some questions

juvx wrote:
To simplify things lets forget the indoor sports because i know thats the most expensive thing to shoot well.

That's exactly why it is important to consider it now.

If you're talking about a generic (lens + flash) kit, here's one way you could put one together. Pick a lens from column 1, a lens from column 2, a lens from column 3, and a tilt/bounce external TTL flash for your camera, and you're done.

COLUMN #1: Inexpensive wide-angle to moderate telephoto. E.g., on Nikon DX:

• Nikon 18-55mm VR
  • Nikon 18-105mm VR
  • Nikon 18-140mm VR
  • Nikon 16-85mm VR
  • Third-party 18-50mm constant f/2.8

COLUMN #2: Inexpensive, slow, longer telephoto. E.g., on Nikon DX:

• Nikon 55-300mm VR
  • Nikon 70-300mm VR

COLUMN #3: Fast,, normal prime. E.g., on Nikon DX:

• Nikon 35mm f/1.8

(Substitute Canon, etc. counterparts as appropriate.)

Column #1 covers landscapes and most indoor snapshots (with the aid of flash). Column #2 covers things like trips to zoos (although serious birders tend to use even longer lenses). Column #3 gives you some low-light ability for nearby subjects (i.e., not for dance rehearsals).

But if you know you will need a fast telephoto lens for dance rehearsals, it might not be a good idea to spend a lot on a "kit" or slow lens that you will need to replace sooner (rather than later) with an even more expensive one.

ARShutterbug
ARShutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 8,971
Try a 200 f/2.8

A 200 mm f/4 aperture is much too small to be used in dim lighting conditions.  It's easier if you explain what "dim" means in terms of photographic exposure or lumens, but I wouldn't consider anything less than a 135 f/2 or 200 f/2.8 lens.  Street photography can be done with any wide-angle or medium telephoto lens, assuming that you're not intending to be doing dim-light photography at night.  The indoor sports demand f/2.8 telephoto lenses with accurate focusing, and a camera body with accurate focusing.  I recommend the Canon 200 f/2.8 lens, and maybe a wide-angle kit lens that comes with cameras like the Canon 60D.

John Deerfield Veteran Member • Posts: 3,158
Re: Newbie gear question 2300 budget.

By better, i would prefer full frame

Why is full frame better? A full frame camera will eat most of your budget leaving very little for good lenses. And the only real world benefit you will see from a entry level full frame camera will be a more shallow DoF. And that may or may not be a good thing.

Like i said my budget is 2300 in 2 weeks. not forever, i plan on adding more lenses etc as time goes by. I want a good body to start with. I do understand the concept of fast glass. My question is... would a 70-200 F4 constant be good enough if i shoot wide open on a camera that can handle iso 3200 with ease and almost no noise?

I would say no. Others would disagree. No matter how you slice it, f/2.8 lets in twice as much light as f/4. For relatively dark indoor shooting, this is a pretty big deal.

Also keep in mind that you are buying into a system. Another reason I suggest sticking with Canon or Nikon. In this thread you mentioned possibly the Sony camera and earlier possibly a flash. Personally, I do not like Sony's flash implementation. Sony puts the FEC somewhere in the camera's menu system. I find that very odd and very time consuming. Both Canon and Nikon put FEC on the flash itself. In general terms, Nikon's flash system is probably the best you will find. However, if the Canon simply feels better in your hands, then I would go with Canon.

Finally, you mentioned somewhere in the thread comparing say the 70D and the D7100… from an IQ standpoint, in a blind test, you would never be able to tell any difference between the two resulting images. Any differences will be in the post-processing of the image. Because guess what, either camera will be recording the same light. Which is all the camera does.

juvx

John Deerfield wrote:

By better, i would prefer full frame

Why is full frame better? A full frame camera will eat most of your budget leaving very little for good lenses. And the only real world benefit you will see from a entry level full frame camera will be a more shallow DoF. And that may or may not be a good thing.

Like i said my budget is 2300 in 2 weeks. not forever, i plan on adding more lenses etc as time goes by. I want a good body to start with. I do understand the concept of fast glass. My question is... would a 70-200 F4 constant be good enough if i shoot wide open on a camera that can handle iso 3200 with ease and almost no noise?

I would say no. Others would disagree. No matter how you slice it, f/2.8 lets in twice as much light as f/4. For relatively dark indoor shooting, this is a pretty big deal.

Also keep in mind that you are buying into a system. Another reason I suggest sticking with Canon or Nikon. In this thread you mentioned possibly the Sony camera and earlier possibly a flash. Personally, I do not like Sony's flash implementation. Sony puts the FEC somewhere in the camera's menu system. I find that very odd and very time consuming. Both Canon and Nikon put FEC on the flash itself. In general terms, Nikon's flash system is probably the best you will find. However, if the Canon simply feels better in your hands, then I would go with Canon.

Finally, you mentioned somewhere in the thread comparing say the 70D and the D7100… from an IQ standpoint, in a blind test, you would never be able to tell any difference between the two resulting images. Any differences will be in the post-processing of the image. Because guess what, either camera will be recording the same light. Which is all the camera does.

True however i shoot raw only and PP all keepers in Lightroom so I probably would be able to tell as i was able to for the NEX6 vs D5100 raws.

What camera body would you get on that budget?

Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a6500 Sony a9 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony FE 35mm F1.4 +4 more
WryCuda Senior Member • Posts: 7,802

juvx wrote:

John Deerfield wrote:

Finally, you mentioned somewhere in the thread comparing say the 70D and the D7100… from an IQ standpoint, in a blind test, you would never be able to tell any difference between the two resulting images. Any differences will be in the post-processing of the image. Because guess what, either camera will be recording the same light. Which is all the camera does.

True however I shoot raw only and PP all keepers in Lightroom so I probably would be able to tell as I was able to for the NEX6 vs D5100 raws.

If you are doing RAW and Pixel-Peeping, I suspect that you are more experienced than you suggest in your OP. You already have several viable suggestions for equipment within your budget, so why agonise over it? You have to take the plunge sometime.

In the DPReview "Best of 2013" survey, although not absolute individual winners, three Nikon cameras in aggregate polled 41% of the votes (7100, 610 and Df models). That has to tell you something.

$2300 is not a big budget, either by photographic or hobby standards, so don't sweat over it. A friend of mine is in a similar financial position to me and his hobby is cycling. The gear-set on his racing bike is worth more than all my photo gear combined.

Happy shooting.

WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7
peevee1 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,247

juvx wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

juvx wrote:

Good afternoon,

I am fairly new to photography and would like to ask for your wise advise on some gear I plan on getting in 2 weeks.

First of all my the subjects i like to shoot are Landscapes, My kids Kids activities (dance) and some street and travel photography.

My budget is 2000-2300$ I'm not looking for a full kit of lenses for that $ but merely to start off with 1 or 2max and build over time. So i'm willing to go as much as 1500-2k $on the body and build the collection of lenses, flashes and tripod from there.

So far iv had the following cameras in the last few months the Sony NEX6 and the Nikon D5100 but iv sold both because i want something better. I really haven't decided if is should go for a Sony A7 or fuji X system or something like the D7100 or Canon 70D. Maybe even a used 600/610 or a 6D. Since i have no lenses i am free to start from scratch.

What would you wise people recommend for me. What would you get on that budget if you had 0 gear?
Thank you so much for your advise.

For that money, you can get Nikon D610 with 24-85/3.5-4.5, Canon 6D with 24-105/4 or Sony A7 with 28-70/3.5-5.6. Obviously, the first 2 choices have better, more flexible lenses both in terms of range and apertures, and better autofocus - but Sony is much smaller.

For dance, better autofocus matters.

Out of D610 and 6D, Nikon is better - shoots 6 fps vs 5, includes built-in flash, has better low-ISO dynamic range, supports 2 SD cards. Its one big flaw is its JPEG engine (as usual with Nikon cameras) which does not produce out-of-camera JPEGs as good as Canon, and at high ISOs its output is downright ugly.

6D

D610 - where the yellow-green blotches are coming from?

You will need to shoot and process RAWs, which is not very hard, but not as easy as OOC JPEGs.

Thanks for the reply. Im honestly leaning to the sony A7 with the SONY Vario-Tessar T * FE 24-70mm F4.. Its a bit over my budget however. 1500+1200 = 2700 .. 400$ over budget but would be a nice travel camera.

I am afraid Sony A7 might fail with dance. The reviews about its autofocus in low light are not stellar.

Christof21 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,278

WryCuda wrote:

juvx wrote:

I am fairly new to photography and would like to ask for your wise advice on some gear I plan on getting in 2 weeks.

First of all my the subjects i like to shoot are Landscapes, My kids' activities (dance) and some street and travel photography.

My budget is $2000-2300 I'm not looking for a full kit of lenses for that $ but merely to start off with 1 or 2 max and build over time. So I'm willing to go as much as $1500-2000 on the body and build the collection of lenses, flashes and tripod from there.

So far I've had the following cameras in the last few months: the Sony NEX6 and the Nikon D5100 but I've sold both because i want something better. I really haven't decided if is should go for a Sony A7 or Fuji X system or something like the D7100 or Canon 70D. Maybe even a used 600/610 or a 6D. Since i have no lenses I am free to start from scratch.

The Nikon 7100 usually rates very highly in camera reviews, including the DPR reviews

I think the op should be aware of the banding problems... Some say this is not a serious problem but  you have the choice and you can simply avoid this problem by choosing another camera  !

Fuji, Sony or Nikon (D3200) are OK and also highly rated

juvx

peevee1 wrote:

juvx wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

juvx wrote:

Good afternoon,

I am fairly new to photography and would like to ask for your wise advise on some gear I plan on getting in 2 weeks.

First of all my the subjects i like to shoot are Landscapes, My kids Kids activities (dance) and some street and travel photography.

My budget is 2000-2300$ I'm not looking for a full kit of lenses for that $ but merely to start off with 1 or 2max and build over time. So i'm willing to go as much as 1500-2k $on the body and build the collection of lenses, flashes and tripod from there.

So far iv had the following cameras in the last few months the Sony NEX6 and the Nikon D5100 but iv sold both because i want something better. I really haven't decided if is should go for a Sony A7 or fuji X system or something like the D7100 or Canon 70D. Maybe even a used 600/610 or a 6D. Since i have no lenses i am free to start from scratch.

What would you wise people recommend for me. What would you get on that budget if you had 0 gear?

For that money, you can get Nikon D610 with 24-85/3.5-4.5, Canon 6D with 24-105/4 or Sony A7 with 28-70/3.5-5.6. Obviously, the first 2 choices have better, more flexible lenses both in terms of range and apertures, and better autofocus - but Sony is much smaller.

For dance, better autofocus matters.

Out of D610 and 6D, Nikon is better - shoots 6 fps vs 5, includes built-in flash, has better low-ISO dynamic range, supports 2 SD cards. Its one big flaw is its JPEG engine (as usual with Nikon cameras) which does not produce out-of-camera JPEGs as good as Canon, and at high ISOs its output is downright ugly.

6D

D610 - where the yellow-green blotches are coming from?

You will need to shoot and process RAWs, which is not very hard, but not as easy as OOC JPEGs.

Thanks for the reply. Im honestly leaning to the sony A7 with the SONY Vario-Tessar T * FE 24-70mm F4.. Its a bit over my budget however. 1500+1200 = 2700 .. 400$ over budget but would be a nice travel camera.

I am afraid Sony A7 might fail with dance. The reviews about its autofocus in low light are not stellar.

Like I said lets remove dance completely out of the equation. It only happens a couple of times a year when they would actually allow me to shoot in there. Most competitions don't allow cameras. So that type of photography is probably the least important to me. Street, Landscape and Travel would be the most.

juvx

WryCuda wrote:

juvx wrote:

John Deerfield wrote:

True however I shoot raw only and PP all keepers in Lightroom so I probably would be able to tell as I was able to for the NEX6 vs D5100 raws.

If you are doing RAW and Pixel-Peeping, I suspect that you are more experienced than you suggest in your OP. You already have several viable suggestions for equipment within your budget, so why agonise over it? You have to take the plunge sometime.

In the DPReview "Best of 2013" survey, although not absolute individual winners, three Nikon cameras in aggregate polled 41% of the votes (7100, 610 and Df models). That has to tell you something.

$2300 is not a big budget, either by photographic or hobby standards, so don't sweat over it. A friend of mine is in a similar financial position to me and his hobby is cycling. The gear-set on his racing bike is worth more than all my photo gear combined.

Happy shooting.

I wouldn't call it pixel-peeping its more of just an eyeball test. of 2 similar images exposed and post processed the same way. Which looks better overall. And I found that the Sony NEX6 did better over the D5100. Now keep in mind D5100 was with kit lens and the Nex with the 30mm 2.8 Art Sigma prime. So I know its not a fair comparison.

The fact that the Nikon DF is in the poll makes me not trust it that much. So they took the 2 year old D4 sensor and put in a retro body (ill admit it looks nice), then took out the video and a ton of other features out then made it WAY slower then the D4 and charged 3000$$$? If I had that kind of money to spend D800E would be 1000x better.  Not saying a DF is a bad camera but it should cost 1700-1800$ not 3000$.... anyways

Yeah I know Its just a start.

I wouldn't call it pixel-peeping its more of just an eyeball test. of 2 similar images exposed and post processed the same way. Which looks better overall. And I found that the Sony NEX6 did better over the D5100. Now keep in mind D5100 was with kit lens and the with the 30mm 2.8 Art Sigma prime. So I know its not a fair comparison.

So all of this talk about how important the lens is hasn't really sunk in? Comparing a prime to a kit lens? Were both lenses at f/8 or f/11? Was the lighting controlled and exactly the same in each shot? If I pull out a light meter and meter the light falling on my subject, I will get a reading, an EV value. This EV value essentially tells us what settings are required on any camera to record that exposure, that light. At which point, it is you knowledge, followed by the light itself, followed by the lens, and then finally the camera. Each step is infinitely more important than than the step following it. You want to agonize over something, agonize over the lens choice.

The fact that the Nikon DF is in the poll makes me not trust it that much. So they took the 2 year old D4 sensor and put in a retro body (ill admit it looks nice), then took out the video and a ton of other features out then made it WAY slower then the D4 and charged 3000$$$? If I had that kind of money to spend D800E would be 1000x better. Not saying a DF is a bad camera but it should cost 1700-1800$ not 3000$.... anyways

Which misses the point. The camera is simply a tool. You get the tool that allows you to do the job you want to do. Personally, I would love a D4 sensor in a D800 body for $3000. I have even considered the Df for that reason. I shoot weddings. I don't need 36MP. I don't want 36MP. We have the D600 and I don't want 24MP. I was just fine at 12MP. Now I need a RAID set up in order to save the gigantic PSD files (I suppose to be fair I could just resample them down). I want my D400, where's that? I digress….

In any event, if you simply want to know what I would buy with what I know now...

Lens: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_PRICE_2%7c0&ci=274&setNs=p_PRICE_2%7c0&N=4288584247+4108103566+4261208161+4261208168&srtclk=sort

Why? It's an inexpensive way to get the f/2.8 focal length. Yes, it's a compromise. I am not a huge fan of third party lenses. But hey, we are on a budget.

For the camera: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1005009-REG/nikon_13302_d7100_dslr_camera_with.html

Why? For starters, I shoot Nikon. As mentioned, I believe the Nikon flash system to be hands down better than anything else I have seen. Of course this only matters if you need TTL flash. For manual flash, it isn't going to matter. And I much prefer Nikon's controls (try selecting an AF point with a Nikon camera and then try the Canon, as one example). The D7100 is fairly current and the kit lens enough to get you buy until you can get something better.

Stephan K Regular Member • Posts: 135

To my mind one of the biggest advantages of Canon wrt your potential range of lenses is that you can go to an excellent 70-200mm f4 IS at half the price of the Nikon equivalent. I believe that the IQ advantage of full frame is marginal compared to the +- 50% higher cost.

I believe your best IQ for the budget would be a Canon 700d (or a 70d if you can find a used one at the right price) with the 18-135 IS, and a used 70-200mm f4 IS (Photozone "the sharpest Canon zoom we have tested to date"), followed eventually by a Tokina 11-16, one of the best WA lenses in that range.

Stephan K wrote:

To my mind one of the biggest advantages of Canon wrt your potential range of lenses is that you can go to an excellent 70-200mm f4 IS at half the price of the Nikon equivalent. I believe that the IQ advantage of full frame is marginal compared to the +- 50% higher cost.

? The Nikon 70-200 f/4 is roughly $50 more than the Canon? In terms of lenses, Canon has the enviable 135 f/2. If Nikon ever revamps their DC lenses, that advantage goes away. For the most part, Canon & Nikon have very similar selections. Currently, other than the 135 f/2 (an obvious weak point), I prefer Nikon's selection. I have shot with both the Canon 24-105 f/4 and the Nikon 24- 120 f/4. That 15 extra mm is quite nice. I use the Nikon 35mm f/1.8. It's a nice lens, especially for the money. No Canon equivalent. The 50mm lenses from Canon are nothing to write home about until you get to the 50mm f/1.2. The Canon 50mm f/1.8 is probably one of the well known worst reviewed lenses whereas the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 is stellar. And the Canon 50mm f/1.4 is just an OK lens, while the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 is again, a stellar lens. When it comes to kit lenses, I think Nikon has a decent advantage, and I don't even like kit lenses. And that's all just a long way of saying that the two are very comparable and any "advantage" is just our opinions!

I believe your best IQ for the budget would be a Canon 700d (or a 70d if you can find a used one at the right price) with the 18-135 IS, and a used 70-200mm f4 IS (Photozone "the sharpest Canon zoom we have tested to date"), followed eventually by a Tokina 11-16, one of the best WA lenses in that range.

The 70D (Canon's long awaited answer to Nikon's D300 I might add!) and the 700D are great cameras. From a purely technical standpoint (lab testing), IQ on the Nikon's will be better. However, as I have said, in real world use it is highly unlikely any significant difference in IQ could ever be noted. My biggest beef with Canon is their flash implementation: it's all over the place. I teach a basic, shoe mount flash class. You put a Nikon SB700 on any Nikon body and you pretty much get the same results across the board taking a picture of a gray target. With Canon, flip a coin. And this echoes my experience when shooting TTL flash with Canon.

Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 15,819
That's a relief

John Deerfield wrote:

My biggest beef with Canon is their flash implementation: it's all over the place. I teach a basic, shoe mount flash class. You put a Nikon SB700 on any Nikon body and you pretty much get the same results across the board taking a picture of a gray target. With Canon, flip a coin. And this echoes my experience when shooting TTL flash with Canon.

Oh, good. I'm not alone in being unable to predict my Canon flash results.

My Nikon gets shockingly good pictures with TTL flash.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
juvx

Understood.  So far my DSLR options are:

D7100 kit with 70-200 f2.8 lens. (tamron or sigma) (btw i like what sigma has been doing lately they have very good lenses - at least the new ones)

Canon 70D kit with 70-200 lens.

Now how about mirrorless camera options? Lets say I listen to my wife and don't get a DSLR. lol (she hates them) what mirrorless system camera would you guys recommend? Between Fuji, Olympus and Sony A7 maybe even Panasonic? Same budget 2300$

juvx wrote:

Understood. So far my DSLR options are:

D7100 kit with 70-200 f2.8 lens. (tamron or sigma) (btw i like what sigma has been doing lately they have very good lenses - at least the new ones)

Now how about mirrorless camera options? Lets say I listen to my wife and don't get a DSLR. lol (she hates them) what mirrorless system camera would you guys recommend? Between Fuji, Olympus and Sony A7 maybe even Panasonic? Same budget 2300$

Well, I am the happy owner of a Fuji (x-e1) and I would recommend the new x-t1 !! I have the IQ, not the AF speed... X-T1 has both. You will love this camera and its stunning EVF. Manual focusing will be very easy with this camera.

I can not compare with other brands, sorry, I am just happy with my camera.
The kit lens is really good, this is an important point. But not weather sealed (contrary to the body). Weather sealed lenses will be released in the near future.

juvx

Christof21 wrote:

juvx wrote:

Well, I am the happy owner of a Fuji (x-e1) and I would recommend the new x-t1 !! I have the IQ, not the AF speed... X-T1 has both. You will love this camera and its stunning EVF. Manual focusing will be very easy with this camera.

The kit lens is really good, this is an important point. But not weather sealed (contrary to the body). Weather sealed lenses will be released in the near future.

Nice, what about the x-e2, is it much better vs x-e1?

juvx wrote:

Christof21 wrote:

juvx wrote:

Nice, what about the x-e2, is it much better vs x-e1?

The AF speed is the major improvement. Note that the AF is faster when you focus in or near the center (9 focus points near the center which benefit from PDAF, which is faster than CDAF).

No real improvement in IQ, this is more or less the same sensor but it benefits from PDAF..

AF is important..  I consider that there is more difference between the x-e1 and x-e2 than between x-e2 and x-t1.

WryCuda Senior Member • Posts: 7,802

juvx wrote:

WryCuda wrote:

If you are doing RAW and Pixel-Peeping, I suspect that you are more experienced than you suggest in your OP.

I wouldn't call it pixel-peeping its more of just an eyeball test. of 2 similar images exposed and post processed the same way. Which looks better overall. And I found that the Sony NEX6 did better over the D5100. Now keep in mind D5100 was with kit lens and the Nex with the 30mm 2.8 Art Sigma prime. So I know its not a fair comparison.

The 18-105mm kit lens doesn't do a bad job, but it's no match for a prime, and zoom lenses usually have optimum resolution at smaller apertures, so not a fair test, as you say.

I have to look very hard to see test-chart differences when I compare the same lens on a a 3200 vs. 7100 (both 24 MPixel). No difference in the field.

WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7
ragmanjin
ragmanjin Contributing Member • Posts: 959
Re: An alternative?

juvx wrote:

Good afternoon,

I don't know if somebody's already suggested it, but the new Pentax K-3 is a top-specced all-arounder with the best set of inconspicuous primes for street photography. Matter of fact I recently ditched three separate systems to consolidate to the Pentax system for several aspects of my photography. Streeting and kids absolutely included.

Aside from being a high-ISO/low-light beast and better weather-sealed than really any other consumer camera (great for moody landscapes in the rain), it's more compact than the D7100 and 70D — though not quite as small as anything from the Fuji system, which is also a very good option for low light work. Though the Fuji is kind of lacking in the bright telephoto range, whereas many Pentax users pick up cheap, high-quality Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses that work a dream.

Plus it's on sale now at B&H for $1300, leaving you a solid grand in your budget for lenses, or it's $1423 kitted with the 18-135 on Amazon.com right now. That'd be a great start, and add this Tamron 70-200 to the kit: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/TAMRON-SP-AF70-200mm-F-2-8-Di-LD-IF-Macro-for-PENTAX-Model-A001P-/271382634599?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3f2faa6067&_uhb=1 and you're still within budget with two very workable zooms. That leaves you free to add the aforementioned inconspicuous primes as your budget allows in the future.

Another option would be to go body-only and find a good couple of used "Limited" primes (basically their L-series, but also geared towards being super-compact and high quality). Say, the 35mm Macro and the 70mm f/2.4 for the street stuff. Or a 15 and a 40 if you're more into the wide-angle stuff.

Many, many options, but if you're open to buying used KEH.com is probably a good place to start. I've grown to trust their quality grading system more than other retailers over the years.

Good luck,
Raj.

-- hide signature --

< / sarcasm>

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads