Personal Yea's and Nay's of HS50EXR

Started Feb 3, 2014 | Discussions
Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 6,478
Re: Personal Yea's and Nay's of HS50EXR

Orion12 wrote:

Sactojim wrote:

Interesting read here and another users thoughts that run common with the HS50..not stellar IQ.

http://www.birdwatch.co.uk/channel/reviewitem.asp?review=3263

A few quotes: "However, the quality of the image delivered by the camera’s default settings is where the camera’s performance dipped. Viewed at 100 per cent in Adobe Photoshop, test shots showed a fine ‘stippled’ quality which compromised sharpness and seemed to be exacerbated by any form of subsequent sharpening. Discussions with Fuji led to a slight improvement by setting both ‘sharpness’ and ‘noise reduction’ to +2, but potential users should note that the camera reverts to the default image quality setting of ‘normal’ when it is powered off and on again, so the preferred setting of ‘fine’ has to be re-entered prior to every use".

I don't know Who Wrote the Above but it's FALSE Information ! ( I've NEVER Lost Settings AFTER Power Off ) I Shoot Almost Entirely in 8-Mp Modes - Have NEVER Noticed "Stippled" quality.
Also IF you look thought this Forum you will find MOST suggest setting Noise Reduction to -2

Read the article and you will know who wrote the article. If indeed false information, as you claim, maybe try responding to her to counter what Fuji told her.

Their are LOTS of Opinions about the HS50EXR Quality from a Lot of People who either Don't Own One or Don't Know How to Shoot with One. . . It's NOT an No-Brainer to get the Most from this Camera but it Can Deliver a Wide Range of Quality Shots IF handled correctly. . .
Some will also try to Bad Mouth the HS50EXR because it doesn't have "DSLR" Quality & True Enough a 1/2" has it's Limitations but their are FEW DSLR's that have 24mm - 1,000mm Lens Range.

The author owns the camera and as far as settings go, there are a number of people here claiming their's is the best.

Cheers from Orion

ISO-400 Telephoto with the Low-Light Subject ~ 1 Mile Away. . .

Click to View Full Sized. . .

JPEG Shooter wrote:

Sactojim wrote:

Interesting read here and another users thoughts that run common with the HS50..not stellar IQ.

A few quotes: "... but potential users should note that the camera reverts to the default image quality setting of ‘normal’ when it is powered off and on again, so the preferred setting of ‘fine’ has to be re-entered prior to every use".

This is not true. I have mine set to "Fine" and it has not changed... I've powered the camera off and on many times and it is still on "Fine".

If that's the case, I would send her a message and ask why/how her cam is not holding the settings. Readers of her article would appreciate the info I'm thinking.

-- hide signature --

JPEG Shooter
view my galleries at http://www.pbase.com/fotogrfr

Me Tarzan
Me Tarzan Senior Member • Posts: 1,392

Orion12 wrote:

Me Tarzan wrote:

My experience with the HS series is much like Ralph's comments above. EV's are so poor that I have to use the LCD when shooting. If you are looking for a camera with an impressive EV, try picking up an 'old' panny G1. I own two of these baby bears. Nice sensor, perfect birding camera and beautiful EV, and manual to boot. I'd also highly recommend the Fuji s100fs. They are difficult to find, solidly built. There have been lots of noise about some areas of imperfections but hey, no camera is going to be perfect. The s100fs sure comes close in my books.

Set Your Power Management to HIGH PERFORMANCE
Set Your Viewing Frame Rate to 60 fps

These (2) Setting MAJORLY Effect Your "Viewing Experience" BOTH Rear Display & EFV Display

Frank
http://www.flickr.com/photos/112360977@N08/

More Cheers from Orion

Thanks for the tip, Orion.

PAUL TILL
PAUL TILL Veteran Member • Posts: 9,286

JPEG Shooter wrote:

Alltronic wrote:

Hello Shooter. I Ordered my X-S1 3 days ago (still at $349,00). It should be here (Home) by Wednesday. You can return your Camera at 30 days or less to Amazon for a Full refund from them. No questions asked. Then you can buy the X-S1 if that is your Final decision!!!. Happy Shooting...

Aaron...

Well that's something to consider, Aaron. But y'know... I'm sure the X-S1 isn't perfect either and there would be some things about it that I wouldn't particularly like. From the looks of the manual, many of the mechanics are the same or very similar to the HS50 and, in some cases, less... such as the choices for focusing. If I remember right, the X-S1 has 3 choices and the HS50 has 4.

HS50

X-S1

What's the HS50 got that the X-S1 hasn't?

Don't say tracking because it has that too.

The 10% Rule:
You Must Be 10% Smarter Than The Equipment You're Operating

jcmarfilph Veteran Member • Posts: 7,592

PAUL TILL wrote:

JPEG Shooter wrote:

Alltronic wrote:

Hello Shooter. I Ordered my X-S1 3 days ago (still at $349,00). It should be here (Home) by Wednesday. You can return your Camera at 30 days or less to Amazon for a Full refund from them. No questions asked. Then you can buy the X-S1 if that is your Final decision!!!. Happy Shooting...

Aaron...

Well that's something to consider, Aaron. But y'know... I'm sure the X-S1 isn't perfect either and there would be some things about it that I wouldn't particularly like. From the looks of the manual, many of the mechanics are the same or very similar to the HS50 and, in some cases, less... such as the choices for focusing. If I remember right, the X-S1 has 3 choices and the HS50 has 4.

HS50

X-S1

Don't say tracking because it has that too.

The 10% Rule:

Faster and consistent AF focusing. Focus peaking in manual mode.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
OP JPEG Shooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,236

PAUL TILL wrote:

This...

HS50 has 4 modes/areas

HS50EXR

X-S1 has 3

X-S1

-- hide signature --

JPEG Shooter

JPEG Shooter's gear list:JPEG Shooter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Fujifilm X-S1 Olympus Tough TG-3 Sony RX10 IV Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 +3 more
Orion12 Senior Member • Posts: 2,014

Sactojim wrote:

Orion12 wrote:

Sactojim wrote:

A few quotes: "However, the quality of the image delivered by the camera’s default settings is where the camera’s performance dipped. Viewed at 100 per cent in Adobe Photoshop, test shots showed a fine ‘stippled’ quality which compromised sharpness and seemed to be exacerbated by any form of subsequent sharpening. Discussions with Fuji led to a slight improvement by setting both ‘sharpness’ and ‘noise reduction’ to +2, but potential users should note that the camera reverts to the default image quality setting of ‘normal’ when it is powered off and on again, so the preferred setting of ‘fine’ has to be re-entered prior to every use".

I don't know Who Wrote the Above but it's FALSE Information ! ( I've NEVER Lost Settings AFTER Power Off ) I Shoot Almost Entirely in 8-Mp Modes - Have NEVER Noticed "Stippled" quality.
Also IF you look thought this Forum you will find MOST suggest setting Noise Reduction to -2

Read the article and you will know who wrote the article. If indeed false information, as you claim, maybe try responding to her to counter what Fuji told her.

Second Hand Info, Don't Really Care WHO Wrote It / It wasn't You / The Aspects I Stated Above Are PROVABLE 

Their are LOTS of Opinions about the HS50EXR Quality from a Lot of People who either Don't Own One or Don't Know How to Shoot with One. . . It's NOT an No-Brainer to get the Most from this Camera but it Can Deliver a Wide Range of Quality Shots IF handled correctly. . .
Some will also try to Bad Mouth the HS50EXR because it doesn't have "DSLR" Quality & True Enough a 1/2" has it's Limitations but their are FEW DSLR's that have 24mm - 1,000mm Lens Range.

The author owns the camera and as far as settings go, there are a number of people here claiming their's is the best.

Thanks for Y0UR Inputs Sactojim  Lot's of Claims Out There - I Usually Post Examples SHOWING the results I mention in my Posts - This is Really About Photography and NOT about Words per-say.
As far as Setting Go - The MORE I Experiment with Various HS50EXR Shooting Modalities & Post Processing Programs & Technics, the MORE I Learn About What the "BEST" Setting are. . .
Again at least for ME this Has-Not been a No-Brainer Exercise. . .

( The HS50EXR is the Most Complicated Camera I've Used / But is Worth the Trouble to Learn it's Usage & It's Many Idiosyncrasies ) 
I will add that Over-All the HS50EXR is an Amazing Camera - It's the Funnest & Single Most Powerful Camera I've Ever Owned ! It Will Even Complete or Surpass SOME DLSR's ( In SOME Shooting Situations ) BUT Not in ALL Shooting Situations.
It DOES Take Rolling Up Your Sleeves & Learning Efforts to get Higher Level Results from it.
( Getting the "BEST" Out of ANY Camera is Like That )

Cheers from Orion

ISO-400 Telephoto with the Low-Light Subject ~ 1 Mile Away. . .

Click to View Full Sized. . .

Orion12's gear list:Orion12's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax Q7 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +5 more
Rooski Senior Member • Posts: 1,007

The X-S1 has selectable area focusing, and if you simply leave the box in the center, it seems to me it would act pretty much like the HS50's additional "center" focus option.  I don't see much difference.

-- hide signature --

Rooski

Rooski wrote:

The X-S1 has selectable area focusing, and if you simply leave the box in the center, it seems to me it would act pretty much like the HS50's additional "center" focus option. I don't see much difference.

-- hide signature --

Rooski

The HS50 also has selectable area focusing that you can simply leave in the center.  If there is no difference, why would Fuji add the additional option of "center" focus to the HS50 if it  already had something that, according to you, did the same thing?

-- hide signature --

JPEG Shooter

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Fujifilm X-S1 Olympus Tough TG-3 Sony RX10 IV Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 +3 more

JPEG Shooter wrote:

PAUL TILL wrote:

This...

HS50 has 4 modes/areas

HS50EXR

X-S1 has 3

X-S1

-- hide signature --

JPEG Shooter  --  view my galleries at http://www.pbase.com/fotogrfr

Many Thanks Jpeg Shooter 
That's a Very Cool Feature / AF Tracking Mode that I didn't Know About !

It's an Example of WHY one must Keep Your Sleeves Rolled Up in Learning-Mode with the HS50EXR
I normally use either Manual or Continuous AF Mode ( Where this Option NEVER Shows Up ) 

Thanks Again  I Wasn't Expecting to Learn Any NEW HS50EXR Techie Stuff from a NewBe Owner.
Keep Up Your Good Works !
Good Shooting & Cheers from Orion 

Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax Q7 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +5 more

Orion12 wrote:

Many Thanks Jpeg Shooter
That's a Very Cool Feature / AF Tracking Mode that I didn't Know About !

It's an Example of WHY one must Keep Your Sleeves Rolled Up in Learning-Mode with the HS50EXR
I normally use either Manual or Continuous AF Mode ( Where this Option NEVER Shows Up )

Thanks Again I Wasn't Expecting to Learn Any NEW HS50EXR Techie Stuff from a NewBe Owner.
Keep Up Your Good Works !
Good Shooting & Cheers from Orion

I'm glad I could contribute.  We're here to help each other.

Up to now, I've been using Manual Focus and Single Shot Focus.  Haven't tried Continuous Auto Focus yet.  I did check out Tracking Auto Focus but just from inside my housel  It tracks the subject even if you move the camera instead of the subject moving.  Didn't take any real pics but will have a go at using it on my next outing to see if it is accurate or not.

-- hide signature --

JPEG Shooter

Ralph McKenzie Senior Member • Posts: 2,047

Sactojim wrote:

Lemme just state for the record. Anyone who buys and uses a camera of this type in Auto mode is never going to achieve a decent image. These cameras should never be used in Auto mode - ever!!

With auto modes everything is compromised, shutter speed ,ISO etc. One of the most common failings in auto modes is blown highlights. Don't do it folks, you didn't buy this camera just as a glorified P&S (hmmm maybe you did ) but because you are at least half serious about photography.

It staggers me the amount of incompetent reviews of EXR cameras I see. The power of this camera, in the review, is completely overlooked by the reviewer. Surely someone who is a serious birder doing a review would attempt to get the very best out of the camera.

I guess they just don't understand EXR cameras.

-- hide signature --

Love dat Fuji
http://akiwiretrospective.wordpress.com/
Fuji HS20EXR
Fuji HS10,
Pentax sf7, Pentax zx-50

Ralph McKenzie's gear list:Ralph McKenzie's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Canon EOS 1000D

Ralph McKenzie wrote:

Sactojim wrote:

Lemme just state for the record. Anyone who buys and uses a camera of this type in Auto mode is never going to achieve a decent image. These cameras should never be used in Auto mode - ever!!

With auto modes everything is compromised, shutter speed ,ISO etc. One of the most common failings in auto modes is blown highlights. Don't do it folks, you didn't buy this camera just as a glorified P&S (hmmm maybe you did ) but because you are at least half serious about photography.

It staggers me the amount of incompetent reviews of EXR cameras I see. The power of this camera, in the review, is completely overlooked by the reviewer. Surely someone who is a serious birder doing a review would attempt to get the very best out of the camera.

-- hide signature --

Love dat Fuji
Fuji HS20EXR
Fuji HS10,
Pentax sf7, Pentax zx-50

I read that reviewer was using aperture priority and don't see where he used auto. The problem lies with almost all reviewers in that detailed settings are omitted. Heaven forbid he claim L size is better than M or vice versa..lol. I shoot both sizes in my EXR cams and vacillate as to which I prefer, but seem to get a little more detail with M.

jcmarfilph Veteran Member • Posts: 7,592

Sactojim wrote:

Ralph McKenzie wrote:

Sactojim wrote:

-- hide signature --

Love dat Fuji
Fuji HS20EXR
Fuji HS10,
Pentax sf7, Pentax zx-50

I read that reviewer was using aperture priority and don't see where he used auto. The problem lies with almost all reviewers in that detailed settings are omitted. Heaven forbid he claim L size is better than M or vice versa..lol. I shoot both sizes in my EXR cams and vacillate as to which I prefer, but seem to get a little more detail with M.

Here we go again, claim without a proof is equal to non-sense.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more

Sactojim wrote:

Ralph McKenzie wrote:

That's for sure Ralph / It's not un-common for reviewers to Pretend to KNOW. . . What they actually know is at times a Good Question. . .

After shooting Several Thousand HS50EXR Photos I'd give the "L" Photos an Extra Few Points in SOME Photos where there is LOTS OF LIGHT and Not Much Darker Area Content. . .
( To Take Full Advantage You Also Have to Down-Size the Image which is a Form of Pixel-Binning as an actual 100% Crop often shows poorly )
If the Scene goes into Shadows or Low-Lighted areas then the "L" Size quickly falls apart in comparison to "M" size / 8-Mp Captures. . .
At this Point I Very Rarely Use "L" Size as MOST Photos have Better Resolution & Greater Dynamic Range in my "M" Size / 8-Mp RAW Captures. . . For ME / Having a Fairly Clean 8-Mp Camera with a 24mm - 1000mm Optical Range is a Huge Plus. . .
( 16-Mp with a Few Exceptions is Just Pushing the Limits on What that 1/2" Sensor is willing to deliver with Hardware Pixel-Site Level / Expanded Dynamic Range )
NOTE : The Above is Simply MY Opinion & Is Not an Invitation to Start a Debate on M verses L 

Cheers from Orion 

Ralph McKenzie Senior Member • Posts: 2,047

Sactojim wrote:

Ralph McKenzie wrote:

Sactojim wrote:

-- hide signature --

Love dat Fuji
Fuji HS20EXR
Fuji HS10,
Pentax sf7, Pentax zx-50

The default settings are Auto on every Fuji camera I have ever owned. Anything else is referred to as a shooting mode. Aperture Priority etc... Nowhere in the review does the reviewer mention any shooting mode other than Default?

The reviewer doesn't mention one of the most important aspects of this camera, the EXR settings or what they might be used for. How does this then constitute a half decent review.

I just had a look at the images they posted as part of the review and the only word that's suffices is "Appalling". Jpegshooter has more than shown that the HS50 is capable of good imagery, but the review images are nothing short of farcical.

-- hide signature --

Love dat Fuji
Fuji HS20EXR
Fuji HS10,
Pentax sf7, Pentax zx-50

Ralph McKenzie's gear list:Ralph McKenzie's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Canon EOS 1000D
Lloydy
Lloydy Forum Pro • Posts: 19,465
Jpeg ...

... With respect to your AF issues, try AF Area (p. 49 of the manual) or AF Tracking (p. 84)

Personally, I use AF Tracking on all my Fuji's and find it works perfectly. I use it by simply half-pressing to focus on the subject, hold the half-press and recompose, then shoot. You can also use it as the manual describes.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Dave

PAUL TILL
PAUL TILL Veteran Member • Posts: 9,286

JPEG Shooter wrote:

Rooski wrote:

The X-S1 has selectable area focusing, and if you simply leave the box in the center, it seems to me it would act pretty much like the HS50's additional "center" focus option. I don't see much difference.

-- hide signature --

Rooski

The HS50 also has selectable area focusing that you can simply leave in the center. If there is no difference, why would Fuji add the additional option of "center" focus to the HS50 if it already had something that, according to you, did the same thing?

You tell us JS, I'm a focus and recompose shooter, I don't think I've ever moved the focus point from the centre position on my X-S1, I've made it smaller as I find it focuses better though.

Have you actually read Fuji's description? Looking at it I think the centre focus should actually read SPOT focus, again the X-S1 does this by simply changing the size of the focus square.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

Rooski Senior Member • Posts: 1,007

JPEG Shooter wrote:

Rooski wrote:

-- hide signature --

Rooski

The HS50 also has selectable area focusing that you can simply leave in the center. If there is no difference, why would Fuji add the additional option of "center" focus to the HS50 if it already had something that, according to you, did the same thing?

-- hide signature --

JPEG Shooter

I don't know if it does the EXACT same thing.  I'm just saying, like many do, I'm a "focus and recompose" guy and I just leave the "area" focus "centered".  Can't say for sure how much of an area is used for focus detect in either case, and maybe the HS50's "center" setting is a smaller area, than simply using a center square in "area" mode.

-- hide signature --

Rooski

technicsplayer. Senior Member • Posts: 2,025

Sactojim wrote:

, but potential users should note that the camera reverts to the default image quality setting of ‘normal’ when it is powered off and on again, so the preferred setting of ‘fine’ has to be re-entered prior to every use".

I have a HS50 and this is just nonsense. Mine has been left on "fine" for months now.

technicsplayer.'s gear list:technicsplayer.'s gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Fujifilm FinePix F900EXR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads