AF-S NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G ED (FX) Review

Started Feb 3, 2014 | Discussions
InTheMist
InTheMist Veteran Member • Posts: 3,078
AF-S NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G ED (FX) Review

Another review up from the 35mm f/1.8 ED (FX) lens via Nikon Rumors.  In Chinese.

Missing perhaps a bit lower contrast as the f/1.4 but better flare control and closer focus, which is important to me.  I kind of like the bokeh.

I've already preordered on my quest for a super lightweight setup for FX using 1.8 primes.  I had to have this since I prefer 35mm over 50mm.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Nikon Df Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon D810 Nikon 1 J5 +18 more
Tepacca Contributing Member • Posts: 806
Re: AF-S NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G ED (FX) Review

Will be ordering it as soon as I can afford it

Tepacca's gear list:Tepacca's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 +10 more
HSway
HSway Veteran Member • Posts: 3,155

I wished I could test it before my travel. have set aside the time. But I don’t get any indications from the vendor about the shipment near. I was thinking perhaps they will trump the US availability here in Europe by a day or two but alas. I will have to cancel one pre-order today, the other in two or three days. This is a third source showing something about the lens and I am getting increasingly certain it will become part of my kit. It would be just nice to start using it right away. It’s not important or I already have an excellent (and big) fast 35mm. I prefer 50mm to 35.

Thanks for posting,

-- hide signature --
InTheMist
OP InTheMist Veteran Member • Posts: 3,078

Tepacca wrote:

Will be ordering it as soon as I can afford it

You have that wonderful D600 sensor and no primes to stick on it!?  Consider yourself sternly berated.  What about the 50?  That's very affordable and excellent by any measure.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.

Tung CC New Member • Posts: 14

It seems that a great lens.

I like the color rendering and lightweight (in-line with other 1.8G primes) and will buy one to complete my 1.8G primes, in which I just bought 28mm & 50mm to replace Sigma 35 f/1.4 Art recently

Tung CC's gear list:Tung CC's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED +2 more
Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 12,332

Looks like a real winner so far.  The lowest flare (none) of any 35 and old school D lens sunstars at f8 to boot.  Nice!

Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850

I have Nikon 85mm 1.8g, Tokina 100mm 2.8 macro and Sigma 35mm 1.4 ART primes. I use 85mm a lot coupled with Nikon 18-35mm G but not Sigma because of kt's weight. I will definitely be using Nikon 35mm 1.8G FX with it's lovely 305g.

Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 +10 more
Stacey_K
Stacey_K Veteran Member • Posts: 8,425

Looks like, especially for the money and the weight, this is going to be a nice choice to have.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha a7 +16 more
chuhsi Contributing Member • Posts: 999

why did you replace the sigma art? weight/size?

chuhsi's gear list:chuhsi's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more

Me yes

M Lammerse
M Lammerse Forum Pro • Posts: 11,394

Tung CC wrote:

It seems that a great lens.

I like the color rendering and lightweight (in-line with other 1.8G primes) and will buy one to complete my 1.8G primes, in which I just bought 28mm & 50mm to replace Sigma 35 f/1.4 Art recently

Seems indeed a very good lens.

As the OP mentions, the 1.4G flares quite a bit, it's the only downpoint for me of this lens., and no ED in the 1.4.

The boke rendering of the 1.4 is superb and that is for me at least very important for such a fast lens  sharpness at 1.8 is clearly better.

I will see the lens for the first time during the CP+ will take a closer look at it for sure.

Michel

-- hide signature --

- Objectivity is of the very essence of photography, its contribution and at the same time its limitation -
http://www.fotopropaganda.com
http://www.fotopropaganda.com/blog
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9240992@N05

joejack951 Senior Member • Posts: 2,682

InTheMist wrote:

Missing perhaps a bit lower contrast as the f/1.4 but better flare control and closer focus, which is important to me.

Perhaps it's just a misprint in the literature but be careful about buying the 35/1.8 for closer focus over the 35/1.4. While the new lens is stated as focusing about 2"/50mm closer, the max reproduction ratio is stated as 0.16X for the 35/1.8 and 0.2X for the 35/1.4. That leads me to believe that the new lens might "breath" more as you focus closer hurting its magnification (what you typically want from focusing closer).

Can anyone confirm the true difference between the two lenses?

joejack951's gear list:joejack951's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +5 more
Retzius
Retzius Contributing Member • Posts: 718

Looks like a nice lens!

I don't like the bokeh in all the sample images I have seen so far. It seems distracting.

I would like to see a test just looking at the bokeh of this lens vs. the older 35 f2.

Retzius's gear list:Retzius's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +2 more
SunnyFlorida Contributing Member • Posts: 831

Why is this lens so friiggin huge!!??, pass

thraaak
thraaak Regular Member • Posts: 139

FWIW:
B&H shipped mine today and will be arriving in Central Florida on Tuesday. Bestbuy.com was taking pre-orders but now it just says sold out.
I was hoping to have it for an exotic car show on Saturday, www.carsforthecure.com , but will have to settle for the March 1st show.

thraaak's gear list:thraaak's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D800 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
HSway
HSway Veteran Member • Posts: 3,155

One note to the comparisons in the review. I hope the Nikon’ MTF holds at least relative to the other recent MTF and same focal lengths in basic concept and that more samples can prove a better representative of the lens’ resolution - which hopefully is better (that including wide open) than the 35/1.4 version.

-- hide signature --
mg428 Regular Member • Posts: 186

joejack951 wrote:

InTheMist wrote:

Missing perhaps a bit lower contrast as the f/1.4 but better flare control and closer focus, which is important to me.

Perhaps it's just a misprint in the literature but be careful about buying the 35/1.8 for closer focus over the 35/1.4. While the new lens is stated as focusing about 2"/50mm closer, the max reproduction ratio is stated as 0.16X for the 35/1.8 and 0.2X for the 35/1.4. That leads me to believe that the new lens might "breath" more as you focus closer hurting its magnification (what you typically want from focusing closer).

Can anyone confirm the true difference between the two lenses?

This files demonstrates the comparison of the close focus capabilities of this lens and 35mm 1.4G.

To my eye that 5cm makes a difference. Is that related to the max reproduction ratio you mentioned? Also, would this difference obviate 1.4 version of this lens for shallow DoF purposes?

bbbinohio Contributing Member • Posts: 962
Not Nearly as Good as the Sigma 35mm f/1.4

I don't know what it costs, but I know this much, it's not nearly as good as the Sigma f/1.4 for $899.00 at B&H (or most anywhere).

Bob, from Ohio

bbbinohio's gear list:bbbinohio's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Nikon D800E Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +5 more
thraaak
thraaak Regular Member • Posts: 139
Re: Not Nearly as Good as the Sigma 35mm f/1.4

I don't know what it costs, but I know this much, it's not nearly as good as the Sigma f/1.4 for $899.00 at B&H (or most anywhere).

Bob, from Ohio

How did I know? I knew from your thread reply that you were either a Sigma "fanboy" or "wannabee".
I am not doubting for one moment that the Sigma is superior. I, like many others, are anxiously awaiting for someone, anyone to post up their pictures in their gallery that they have taken themselves in a real world environment with their Sigma lens without being so timid and reluctant to do so.

thraaak's gear list:thraaak's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D800 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
InTheMist
OP InTheMist Veteran Member • Posts: 3,078
Re: Not Nearly as Good as the Sigma 35mm f/1.4

thraaak wrote:

Bob, from Ohio

How did I know? I knew from your thread reply that you were either a Sigma "fanboy" or "wannabee".
I am not doubting for one moment that the Sigma is superior. I, like many others, are anxiously awaiting for someone, anyone to post up their pictures in their gallery that they have taken themselves in a real world environment with their Sigma lens without being so timid and reluctant to do so.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3624532/53122199

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads