Astrophotography with the RX10 - Jupiter.

Started Feb 2, 2014 | Photos
scotbot Senior Member • Posts: 1,196
Astrophotography with the RX10 - Jupiter.

See EXIF for details. DRO and Steadyshot disabled. Processed with Snapseed, will try with Lightroom tomorrow and the results will probably be a lot better although I like the tone of these.

-- hide signature --
 scotbot's gear list:scotbot's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
BertIverson Veteran Member • Posts: 3,854
Question -- Re: Astrophotography with the RX10 - Jupiter.

Why not shoot at long end of telephoto ie 200mm Eq??
I am no astronomer.

Bert

BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX10 IV +5 more
OP scotbot Senior Member • Posts: 1,196
Re: Question -- Re: Astrophotography with the RX10 - Jupiter.

I am no astronomer.

Bert

Because the stars move quite fast due to the Earth's rotation, I would have needed 2" exposure. the planet would still be a speck so the image would be similar but very noisy.
--
http://www.scottwylie.co.uk

HX100V_SN-501251
HX100V_SN-501251 Contributing Member • Posts: 557
Re: Astrophotography with the RX10 - Jupiter.

Nice images of Jupiter and stars ...... I thought you might like to see this image of Saturn taken with the HX100V back in May of 2013.  It was taken at full optical and digital zoom with a total of 216x magnification.

Saturn as it appeared in full frame capture below.

Saturn image from above cropped on left, and compared to an amateur astronomy image below.

HX100V_SN-501251's gear list:HX100V_SN-501251's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X 12-28mm f/4 Pro DX +2 more
OP scotbot Senior Member • Posts: 1,196

HX100V_SN-501251 wrote:

Nice images of Jupiter and stars ...... I thought you might like to see this image of Saturn taken with the HX100V back in May of 2013. It was taken at full optical and digital zoom with a total of 216x magnification.

Saturn image from above cropped on left, and compared to an amateur astronomy image below.

Impressive that it can resolve the rings. I was getting excited by three dots around Jupiter but later realised they were background stars

-- hide signature --
HX100V_SN-501251
HX100V_SN-501251 Contributing Member • Posts: 557

scotbot wrote:

HX100V_SN-501251 wrote:

Nice images of Jupiter and stars ...... I thought you might like to see this image of Saturn taken with the HX100V back in May of 2013. It was taken at full optical and digital zoom with a total of 216x magnification.

Impressive that it can resolve the rings. I was getting excited by three dots around Jupiter but later realised they were background stars

That's why I shared it here again, to actually resolve structure! ..... I'm still gobsmacked myself!!

HX100V_SN-501251's gear list:HX100V_SN-501251's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X 12-28mm f/4 Pro DX +2 more
notime Contributing Member • Posts: 928
Re: Astrophotography with the RX10 - Jupiter

With a tiny sensor and only 500mm equivalent optical zoom, my HX30 has just enough to still make out rings on Saturn(musher than that HX100 pic)

Although it's less zoom (I'm thinking a 400mm equiv crop) the better optics and RAW and a few more MP might be enough to try it on the RX10.

Astrophotography is something I like to try every now and then. It would be nice to have a faster lens and RAW, like the RX

scotbot wrote:

I am no astronomer.

Bert

Because the stars move quite fast due to the Earth's rotation, I would have needed 2" exposure. the planet would still be a speck so the image would be similar but very noisy.
--

Why would the exposure be different at 200mm?

-- hide signature --

Bert

Sony RX10 IV +5 more
rich_r Forum Member • Posts: 95

BertIverson wrote

-- hide signature --

Bert

When you are photographing stars and such there is a general rule that you can have an exposure equal to 500 divided by the (FF equivalent) focal length before the movement of the star becomes a star trail. So for 24mm you get 500/24 = ~20 seconds and 500/200 = ~2.5 seconds.

rich_r's gear list:rich_r's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 VI Sony a7 II Sony a7R II

rich_r wrote:

BertIverson wrote

When you are photographing stars and such there is a general rule that you can have an exposure equal to 500 divided by the (FF equivalent) focal length before the movement of the star becomes a star trail. So for 24mm you get 500/24 = ~20 seconds and 500/200 = ~2.5 seconds.

OK! Got it. He would have had to rise the ISO to 3200 at 2.5 seconds.

Thanks,
Bert

Sony RX10 IV +5 more
Silverghost123 Junior Member • Posts: 36

Looks absolutely awesome, I have just downloaded a time lapse app from android that allows me to control the camera on a tablet and would love to have a go at replicating this, please can you let me know what settings you used.

Apologies in advance I know you mentioned to get it from the exif data but I'm not sure how to do this.

Thanks

Silverghost123's gear list:Silverghost123's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8

Silverghost123 wrote:

Looks absolutely awesome, I have just downloaded a time lapse app from android that allows me to control the camera on a tablet and would love to have a go at replicating this, please can you let me know what settings you used.

Apologies in advance I know you mentioned to get it from the exif data but I'm not sure how to do this.

Thanks

I was viewing the forum on a tablet earlier, now I check on a PC I can see the info by placing the mouse over the pictures, obvious when you know how

Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
aaanouel
aaanouel Veteran Member • Posts: 5,107
Very nice capture.

… indeed!

-- hide signature --

aaanouel
Truth is a pathless land.
The dead past darkens the ever living present.
Corrections and critics are more than very welcome, desirables.

aaanouel's gear list:aaanouel's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +21 more
Rehabdoc Contributing Member • Posts: 919

I am no astronomer.

Bert

--

I don't understand that response. The exposure would be the same at 24 as at 200, and the motion would be the same number of degrees on RX10. You'd just have higher resolution.

elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 15,360

Rehabdoc wrote:

I am no astronomer.

Bert

--

I don't understand that response. The exposure would be the same at 24 as at 200, and the motion would be the same number of degrees on RX10. You'd just have higher resolution.

I have no real experience, just what I have read and seen. I was also thinking use zoom, and I have seen many zoomed night shots. It was discussed, that to focus on infinity, you should not fully zoom, but back off a bit, I remember that, don't quite fully understand how to set focus best.

As long as I was there, all set up, I would definitely take alternate shots using Jpeg CIZ, both at 20mp 400 mm and at 10mp 560mm just to see what results it can give. Did you say you turn off Steady Shot and use self timer for the shutter activation? I read that for tripod it should be off.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more

Just wanted to thank you for these very nice photos, I managed to produce very similar shots this evening with my RX10, very happy with the results.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads