Robin Wong - Olympus 25mm 1.8 review, part 1

Started Feb 2, 2014 | Discussions
453C Veteran Member • Posts: 7,087
Re: Part 2

mijokijo wrote:

mijokijo wrote:

Check it out. http://robinwong.blogspot.it/2014/02/olympus-mzuiko-25mm-f18-review-part-1.html

Also check out his friend's photos with the new body cap lens. http://www.jackieloi.com/2014/02/chinese-new-year-shooting-at-pudu-wet.html

Part two is up for those that are interested. http://robinwong.blogspot.com/2014/02/olympus-mzuiko-25mm-f18-lens-review.html

General conclusion I walk away with is that both are good lenses. His observation that the Olympus might be brighter than the Panasonic is a bit provocative.

If the first part got people frothed up, the second won't settle them down any.

I know Robin said he isn't in the business of comparing a neverending list of gear, but in the case of this review, it would have been a good idea to add a late model Panasonic body to the mix. Even though they use the same mount, there have been some differences between the way O & P's bodies have worked with some lenses. All Robin can really say is how the Panasonic 25/1.4 performed on an Olympus E-M10. That's worth knowing, but in my opinion, not checking how that lens performs on say, a GH3, doesn't give a well rounded view of the 25/1.4.

OP mijokijo Forum Member • Posts: 64

453C wrote:

mijokijo wrote:

mijokijo wrote:

Check it out. http://robinwong.blogspot.it/2014/02/olympus-mzuiko-25mm-f18-review-part-1.html

Also check out his friend's photos with the new body cap lens. http://www.jackieloi.com/2014/02/chinese-new-year-shooting-at-pudu-wet.html

Part two is up for those that are interested. http://robinwong.blogspot.com/2014/02/olympus-mzuiko-25mm-f18-lens-review.html

General conclusion I walk away with is that both are good lenses. His observation that the Olympus might be brighter than the Panasonic is a bit provocative.

I know Robin said he isn't in the business of comparing a neverending list of gear, but in the case of this review, it would have been a good idea to add a late model Panasonic body to the mix. Even though they use the same mount, there have been some differences between the way O & P's bodies have worked with some lenses. All Robin can really say is how the Panasonic 25/1.4 performed on an Olympus E-M10. That's worth knowing, but in my opinion, not checking how that lens performs on say, a GH3, doesn't give a well rounded view of the 25/1.4.

He addresses that line of thinking by saying that he can't really do all the comparisons that everybody wants him to do. He says that some of his observations may only be applicable when using Panasonic lenses with Olympus bodies. It’s probably most beneficial to read his review with that in mind.

mijokijo's gear list:mijokijo's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more

mijokijo wrote:

453C wrote:

mijokijo wrote:

mijokijo wrote:

He addresses that line of thinking by saying that he can't really do all the comparisons that everybody wants him to do. He says that some of his observations may only be applicable when using Panasonic lenses with Olympus bodies. It’s probably most beneficial to read his review with that in mind.

Agreed, and I had both of those points in mind. I even mentioned his comment on additional gear.

An Olympus body owner may have few issues with Robin's observations due to the likelihood that they'll apply to their own camera. For the owner of a Panasonic body, the review may fall short, or not - we simply don't know. Without at least a cursory check of the Panasonic lens on a Panasonic body, there's no way of knowing what results that combination would yield. The AF issue is a perfect example of where there may be a difference in lens behavior between body brands. Clearly, that isn't a concern for Robin, and I'm not saying it should be, but many MFT photographers may value that information. I do, and I only own Olympus bodies, but I occasionally loan lenses to a friend with a Panasonic body.

I'm not criticizing Robin's work. I just wish he'd gone a little further.

ulfie Veteran Member • Posts: 3,299

As for testing on Panasonic bodies too ... remember, Robin works for Olympus.  He's not a totally independent, impartial reviewer.  And he states as much up front.

ulfie wrote:

As for testing on Panasonic bodies too ... remember, Robin works for Olympus. He's not a totally independent, impartial reviewer. And he states as much up front.

Yes, I'm well aware of that. I've written at length about his association with Olympus and his disclaimer earlier in this thread, and I've touched on that repeatedly in my posts about the second part of his review.

As I already said, I have no quarrel with Robin or his review. I only wish he'd gone a little further so his results would be more meaningful to those with Panasonic bodies, and I believe I was clear about why I feel that way.

micksh6
micksh6 Senior Member • Posts: 2,613

453C wrote:

mijokijo wrote:

453C wrote:

mijokijo wrote:

mijokijo wrote:

Agreed, and I had both of those points in mind. I even mentioned his comment on additional gear.

An Olympus body owner may have few issues with Robin's observations due to the likelihood that they'll apply to their own camera. For the owner of a Panasonic body, the review may fall short, or not - we simply don't know.

So, find reviewers with Panasonic bodies and see their comparisons, what's the problem. Or, rent both lenses for a week and do comparison youself on Panasonic camera. Would cost about $80, no big deal.

Without at least a cursory check of the Panasonic lens on a Panasonic body, there's no way of knowing what results that combination would yield. The AF issue is a perfect example of where there may be a difference in lens behavior between body brands.

What AF issue? It's reviewer's fault that he misfocused. There is no such issue with PL 25mm on Oly bodies. The lens is almost 2 year old, can you find any report about misfocusing?

Clearly, that isn't a concern for Robin, and I'm not saying it should be, but many MFT photographers may value that information. I do, and I only own Olympus bodies, but I occasionally loan lenses to a friend with a Panasonic body.

What difference do you expect to see anyway? I own PL 25mm and I use Olympus cameras, it works very well both in terms of IQ and AF accuracy and speed. Purple fringing is automatically corrected in Lightroom so I don't see it.
Difference between bodies will be marginal in this case.

You are pushing too much if you want reviever to test different bodies. I'm not an Olympus employee but if I was a blogger I wouldn't bother getting Panasonic body for review if I only have Olympus at hand. His site is a blog after all, not DxO Mark test engine.

The thing is that the lenses are very similar and this will be the same on all bodies. Thorough reviews on different sites will probably come to the same conclusion later, although it's better to wait to be sure.

Robin's review didn't address the only thing I was unhappy with PL25mm lens - harsh bokeh in some cases when sunlit foliage is in background. But, based on the samples I don't see a reason why Oly 25mm would be significantly better.

And that misfocusing thing is better to be forgotten. He probably didn't have experience with F1.4 lens before, he might have even more problems on Panasonic bodies as he isn't used to Pana focusing system.

micksh6's gear list:micksh6's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Pic Man Senior Member • Posts: 1,310
Re: Start a blog, write unbiased reviews

Henry Richardson wrote:

I read through RW's review. Looks pretty good. He is honest and upfront (right at the very top) that he works for Olympus now. His blog is free. People can read what he writes or not read what he writes. They can give weight to his opinions or not give weight to them. For those who get so upset that someone puts free info and photos out on the internet then there is a very simple solution:

Create your own blog and review stuff very carefully, meticulously, without any hint of any kind of bias, and do it all for free.

Why? The criticism you see here stems from him not doing it for free or rather who he's getting paid by.

Creating a blog is easy. Anyone who can manage to post here can do it. It sure sounds like a lot of work to do what RW does though and to do it the way you insist free stuff must be done it will be even harder. Personally, I am anxious to see these new, free, timely, unbiased reviews.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

I am still waiting for those great unbiased reviews from the do nothing ankle biters who are here. :-). When will you be posting them on your free websites?

So what your saying is, we have to write a review to be critical of one? I can watch movies for free on youtube and can get books for free on amazon, do I have to write my own book or make my own movie to be critical of them?

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

micksh6 wrote:

453C wrote:

mijokijo wrote:

453C wrote:

mijokijo wrote:

mijokijo wrote:

An Olympus body owner may have few issues with Robin's observations due to the likelihood that they'll apply to their own camera. For the owner of a Panasonic body, the review may fall short, or not - we simply don't know.

So, find reviewers with Panasonic bodies and see their comparisons, what's the problem. Or, rent both lenses for a week and do comparison youself on Panasonic camera. Would cost about $80, no big deal.

Without at least a cursory check of the Panasonic lens on a Panasonic body, there's no way of knowing what results that combination would yield. The AF issue is a perfect example of where there may be a difference in lens behavior between body brands.

What AF issue? It's reviewer's fault that he misfocused. There is no such issue with PL 25mm on Oly bodies. The lens is almost 2 year old, can you find any report about misfocusing?

Clearly, that isn't a concern for Robin, and I'm not saying it should be, but many MFT photographers may value that information. I do, and I only own Olympus bodies, but I occasionally loan lenses to a friend with a Panasonic body.

What difference do you expect to see anyway? I own PL 25mm and I use Olympus cameras, it works very well both in terms of IQ and AF accuracy and speed. Purple fringing is automatically corrected in Lightroom so I don't see it.

You are pushing too much if you want reviever to test different bodies. I'm not an Olympus employee but if I was a blogger I wouldn't bother getting Panasonic body for review if I only have Olympus at hand. His site is a blog after all, not DxO Mark test engine.

The thing is that the lenses are very similar and this will be the same on all bodies. Thorough reviews on different sites will probably come to the same conclusion later, although it's better to wait to be sure.

Robin's review didn't address the only thing I was unhappy with PL25mm lens - harsh bokeh in some cases when sunlit foliage is in background. But, based on the samples I don't see a reason why Oly 25mm would be significantly better.

And that misfocusing thing is better to be forgotten. He probably didn't have experience with F1.4 lens before, he might have even more problems on Panasonic bodies as he isn't used to Pana focusing system.

Here's a thought: Try reading what I actually wrote.

I continue seeing odd interpretations of clear statements. In light of his results and past lens use issues between O & P bodies, I stated a suggestion for Robin to have included the use of the lenses on a late model Panasonic body. I didn't demand it, i didn't push for it, and I never faulted him for not doing so. It was a simple suggestion. Everyone that's had a problem with my suggestion seems to have completely gone off the rails and made assumptions about what I was saying.

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,056
Re: Robin Wong - Olympus 25mm 1.8 review, part 1

Corpy2 wrote:

Acrill wrote:

So use your eyes and look at the pictures.

If there is nothing wrong with the pictures then there is nothing wrong with the lens. Lenses are tools for creating pictures.

If all I need to do is use my eyes and look at the pictures, then why do I need to read the words.

He works for them. Can you ever imagine a scenario in which he will say anything even moderately bad about his own company's product? I mean, really. Further, do you really think that Olympus is not absolutely permitting him to post his thoughts?

There is a reason why we want reviewers to be independent. And why we worry when they will get free products. Here, it is ten times worse. He works for them.

Word is that you work for Panasonic sent here to put down Robin Wong. Of course the burden of proof is on you to prove other wise..

Shaking my head at all of this. Read, look, agree, disagree and move on. Ad hominem attacks on Robin Wong's work is just silly.

micksh6
micksh6 Senior Member • Posts: 2,613

453C wrote:

micksh6 wrote:

453C wrote:

mijokijo wrote:

453C wrote:

mijokijo wrote:

mijokijo wrote:

Here's a thought: Try reading what I actually wrote.

I did. I intentionally misinterpreted it because I think writing emotional posts is more fun, so I couldn't miss this opportunity. I hope you don't mind:)

I continue seeing odd interpretations of clear statements. In light of his results and past lens use issues between O & P bodies, I stated a suggestion for Robin to have included the use of the lenses on a late model Panasonic body. I didn't demand it, i didn't push for it, and I never faulted him for not doing so. It was a simple suggestion. Everyone that's had a problem with my suggestion seems to have completely gone off the rails and made assumptions about what I was saying.

micksh6's gear list:micksh6's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Part 3 ... ?

Calm down everyone.  This is nothing to get our shorts all bunched up about.

Perhaps Robin will do a Part 3, provided Panasonic lends him some camera bodies.  Or better yet, one of us should do our own Part 3.  Then Robin will be out of the cross hairs ... putting whoever does Part 3 into a new set of them.

Regardless, from what I can see both of these lenses are top-notch.  Why quibble about which is better when both are up there on top of the heap?  Oh yeh sorry, I forgot this is a gear forum ... even though Robin puts out some excellent images in his gear reviews.

A boring focal length?

25 (50mm equivalent) is a boring focal length?  What?  It's not the focal length, FOV, etc. that determine whether an image is boring.  It's how the photographer uses it to convey the image.  I don't think paint brushes are boring.  They're just tools, implements to use for creation.  Ditto for camera lenses, of any focal length.  Sorry if this is a boring response. 

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads