Panasonic DMC LX5 replacement options with a better zoom

Started Feb 2, 2014 | Discussions
Tellravi New Member • Posts: 13
Panasonic DMC LX5 replacement options with a better zoom

Folks

I have been extremely satisfied with the LX5 with one exception, could you a longer zoom. Are there others that you could recommend that addresses my concern. I need the same or better quality for both video and still and be relatively compact.

Thanks

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mgd43 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,322
Re: Panasonic DMC LX5 replacement options with a better zoom

I went from an LX7 to a Nikon P7800 partly for the same reason. The P7800 has a 28-200mm equivalent f/2-4 lens that is very sharp. It has the same size sensor (1/1.7) as the LX5 and LX7 and similar image quality in the overlapping focal lengths. I find the P7800 colors to be warmer and the skin tones more natural to my eye than the LX7 (the other reason I went to the P7800 from the LX). The P7800 is a little bigger than the LX7, but it has a built-in EVF that I find very useful. All in all I'm very happy with the P7800.

The Nikon P7700 has the same lens and sensor as the P7800 without the EVF. It's less expensive than the P7800 but it's discontinued. They may still be around. You can always get a factory refurbished or gently used one.

Another camera worth considering is the Canon G16. It has a 24 or 28-140 lens that I think is f/1.8-2.8. The Sony RX100 and RX100 II are very good, but they only go out to 100mm. The Fuji X20 also is very good , but it also only goes out to a little over 100mm.

mgd43's gear list:mgd43's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5500 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
OP Tellravi New Member • Posts: 13

Thanks very much. Looks like the Nikon will give me a longer zoom with all the other features, good video capability, etc. The Cannon is good but its only marginally longer that the LX5. Would you agree the 7800 is the ticket for me?

tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 12,637
Stylus 1?

Olympus stylus 1 is a little bigger, but it has a 28-300mm f2.8 zoom and a viewfinder.

Lumixdude Senior Member • Posts: 2,782
Re: Stylus 1?

How much more zoom? You're already used to Panasonic cameras so consider the LF1, from there with the same sized sensor you have the Olympus Stylus 1 which is an XZ2 with a long lens. Then you have the Sony RX10 with a 1" sensor but less zoom. You then start looking at non-fixed lens options such as MILCs and if zoom is your priority, then the Nikon 1 series.

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
lenshoarder Contributing Member • Posts: 609

mgd43 wrote:

The Sony RX100 and RX100 II are very good, but they only go out to 100mm.

The RX100s are 20MP cameras though.  So you can do a central crop and get the equivalent of 200mm at the native resolution of the LX5 of 10MP.  So have higher resolution up to 100mm then higher zoom at LX5 resolution to 200mm.

Eddaweaver Senior Member • Posts: 2,232

http://vimeo.com/53278003

You may find this interesting

mgd43 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,322

All of the cameras mentioned above are good choices. The two Nikons have 28-200 f/2-4 lenses, the Stylus 1 has a 28-300 f/2.8 lens, but it's a little bigger than the others, the Panasonic LF1 has a 28-200 lens but it's slower than the others, and the Sony RX100 and RX100 II have the larger sensor so you can crop a lot.

It's a tough choice. You probably would be happy with any of them. My suggestion is to try to handle the ones that you are most interested in. You may find that you like one more than the others.

I love my P7800, but that doesn't mean that you will. But like I said, they are all good cameras.

mgd43's gear list:mgd43's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5500 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more

Thanks for all your feedback. In conclusion if a longer zoom was a priority, which one would you pick

between the Olympus Stylus 1 and Nikon P7800?

Thanks

Lumixdude Senior Member • Posts: 2,782

The Stylus 1 has a much larger body size, and is more like a bridge, in fact it is a bridge camera. The P7800 while still large is a compact. If you're throwing compact out of the window then the Stylus 1 wins for me simply because of its lens length, it's very good, it can take teleconverters which will get you to the 600mm zoom of the FZ200 and it takes better pictures than an FZ200. It's also a bridge sized camera though particularly when you attach a converter to it. You weigh up the pros and cons particularly if you want a wide angle lens, a macro or a teleconverter to attach to it, in the fact that it is a bridge sized camera.

I would still go for the Stylus 1 over the P7800 though. You have 300mm zoom, you can add a teleconverter to get to the FZ200 focal length and overall its IQ is very good for photos at that focal length. If you can handle the fact that video is an afterthought then the Stylus 1 is the camera for you.

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more

Thanks, will give me options to think about.

This is good. Any comparisons of video capability between the Olympus and Nikon?

tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 12,637
RX100 cropped to 200mm is NOT 10MP

lenshoarder wrote:

mgd43 wrote:

The Sony RX100 and RX100 II are very good, but they only go out to 100mm.

The RX100s are 20MP cameras though. So you can do a central crop and get the equivalent of 200mm at the native resolution of the LX5 of 10MP. So have higher resolution up to 100mm then higher zoom at LX5 resolution to 200mm.

Your math is a little off here.   100 to 200mm loses 50% linearly (2x crop factor), but by area it loses 75%.   Cropping 100mm to 200mm leaves you with 5MP and an effective sensor size of about 1/2".    Still plenty for a lot of work, but you are most definitely NOT going to be left with the kind of detail you have from an uncropped LX5 shot.

hjr13
hjr13 Senior Member • Posts: 2,548

Tellravi wrote:

Folks

I have been extremely satisfied with the LX5 with one exception, could you a longer zoom. Are there others that you could recommend that addresses my concern. I need the same or better quality for both video and still and be relatively compact.

Thanks

Another obvious choice would be the Panasonic LF1. It is basically a LX7 with a 28-200mm zoom. The only draw back is it is slow at the long end.

hjr13's gear list:hjr13's gear list
Panasonic LX100

Thank you. Final question (challenge) - comparing all of these to the LX5,which one is closet in size (assuming the video and still capabilities are the same).

Thanks everyone

hjr13
hjr13 Senior Member • Posts: 2,548

The LF1 is a little smaller then the LX5. You can check the camera sizes from the drop down menu on the top of the page. Pick the camera company and find the camera click on it. That will get you the size.

hjr13's gear list:hjr13's gear list
Panasonic LX100

Thanks

NetMage Senior Member • Posts: 2,910

It doesn't work that way - 10MP or 20MP is the area of pixels, cropping for a narrower angle of view (e.g. 100mm to 200mm) means you must divide by the square of the difference to convert to area.

So a 20MP Sony takes a 5MP 200mm equivalent image, on a much smaller sensor with corresponding worse noise by the same 4x factor. Now it doesn't look so good to crop drastically.

-- hide signature --

-- Please remove the Quote option!
-- How about switching to real forum software?

NetMage's gear list:NetMage's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Sigma DP1x Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads