Bring my FZ200 or Pentax K30 to Europe?

Started Feb 2, 2014 | Discussions
paulnptld Forum Member • Posts: 61
Bring my FZ200 or Pentax K30 to Europe?

Try to be objective here. I really only want to bring one camera on my trip to Paris and Barcelona. The K30 would likely do better in low light, but the flexibility of the FZ200 (not to mention lighter weight) are plusses.

I have an two lenses for the K30, and the entire setup also happens to be weather sealed.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sono1mito
sono1mito Forum Member • Posts: 66
Re: Bring my FZ200 or Pentax K30 to Europe?

In parte la risposta è nella domanda,ma quando vai in europa?a Barcellona forse il clima in questo periodo è meglio di Paris.La reflex secondo mio parere lasciala a casa,hai un'ottima FZ 200 che fa praticamente tutto e bene,casomai portati assieme compatta di qualità tipo canon s100/110 o altre da taschino.Buona vacanza

giovanni

Castaway
Castaway Veteran Member • Posts: 4,342
Your Call

Tough one Paul,

I gave up on my K10 a couple of years ago and bought the FZ200 (I had been selling off some old lenses in order to buy the K30) as soon as it was available. Had a last minute change of heart.

I guess it depends on how you personally feel about carrying around a bag of lenses and having to change them for different focal lengths. It would also depend on what sort of photography you want to do and what you want to do with the photographs. Will carrying around that bag of lenses and time spent changing lenses detract from the enjoyment of the trip. A few years back I sometimes covered concerts for the local paper, I missed most of the concert thinking about the photography.

In the end only you can make the decision but it should be based on what else you plan on doing while you are there. Will your two lenses cover the focal lengths that you are likely to require.

The FZ200 is very light and would not add much to your baggage, if you decided to take the Pentax you could take both then decide which camera to take with you depending on what you had planned for the day.

Have a good trip.

-- hide signature --
 Castaway's gear list:Castaway's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100
(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 853

paulnptld wrote:

Try to be objective here. I really only want to bring one camera on my trip to Paris and Barcelona. The K30 would likely do better in low light, but the flexibility of the FZ200 (not to mention lighter weight) are plusses.

I have an two lenses for the K30, and the entire setup also happens to be weather sealed.

Paul,

We have traveled to Europe more than 30 times in the last 20 years. Until about 8 years ago i took along a Nikon SLR and 2 lenses. Then along came decent digital cameras. Since that time I have taken an enthusiast P&S and my wife has carried a P&S zoom pocket camera each trip . In our 4 week trips we take about 2000-3000 photos and a small number of videos. When we return home we select the best 200-500 images, do a minimal amount of PP and then view them on our 27" iMacs, show friends on our HDTV, share them with friends, and use some of the images to create calendars, photo books and occasionally greeting cards. Maximum print size is probably 11X14.

We shoot landscapes, city scenes, people, architecture, insides of buildings, shops and cafes, mostly during the day and some in early morning and evening/night. The vast majority of the images are shot between 22mm-90mm and some are cropped. We just don't seem to have a need to use longer lens lengths often in Europe, even though we carry a 24-480mm small camera.

In addition to frequent travel to Europe, over the years i have planned more than 40 trips for friends and colleagues, ranging from giving tips to 100% complete trips down to specific train tickets and times. This includes how to pack, what to take, etc.., big cities/small towns, number of places to stay (minimizing hotel/apartment moves can greatly improve your trip satisfaction).

I have recommended to all travelers to take a small camera or two, leave the big guys at home. None has returned and been disappointed with their photos. Maximize your time spent absorbing the culture where you are and minimize the time spent "playing" with your camera and lenses. Actually, recent research has shown that taking photographs reduces memories of the location, but that's just an interesting aside.

So take the FZ200 (or better yet buy an LX7, great for low light). if you are traveling with your partner, get a ZS20 for $160 or something similar and go have a great time. We now take an LX7 and a ZS20 and couldn't be happier with the images and ease of photography.

Hope this gives you some food for thought, and if I can assist you in your trip planning, just email me. I'm happy to help. Paris is my favorite city in the world and we have been there about 15 times.

Bon Voyage,

Joel

Paris Canon S95

Dordogne, France - Canon S95

Paris - Canon S95

Tuscany - LX7

Venice - LX7

Venice with 7 year old Canon SD800 P&S camera

Jerry045
Jerry045 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,364

Paul:

I have travelled extensively in Europe, and I have carried the full gambit from the Canon EOS body and 5 lenses to small point and shoots. The older I get, the less lugging a DSLR appeals to me. My last few trips to Italy and Turkey, I only carried a FZ50 (Italy) and FZ150 (Turkey). I am convinced (for me) that is the way to travel. One camera that is light and capable of wide angle to zoom. I did carry an external flash for the insides of mosques and churches, but found I rarely needed it.

I think the FZ200 will do very well for you. Just carry extra batteries and SD cards.

I will be going to Spain Portugal and Morocco later this year and I will carry just the FZ150. For my trip to China next month, I will carry just the SZ19. (business trip, no sightseeing).

Pack light...

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/av8tor045
Jerry

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Sony RX10 IV +2 more
chr1st1an
chr1st1an Regular Member • Posts: 228

paulnptld wrote:

It's important to know which lenses you have. I compared the two cameras using camerasize.com and doesn't seem to be so different in size.
I don't think you will need high zoom in the cities so if you have a lens with a good range (like 18-140) and want to have superior IQ in low light or at night, take the k30.
I have an fz200 and it takes nice pictures and is very versatile. Also I like the swivel screen, but sometimes I would like better quality at night or in low light.
Christian

chr1st1an's gear list:chr1st1an's gear list
Canon PowerShot A620 Panasonic FZ1000
phazelag
phazelag Veteran Member • Posts: 3,229

paulnptld wrote:

I say bring the FZ200.  I did bring my DSLR to europe and I was glad to get a few special shots, but you really need to soak it in with your eyes too.  Next time I will take my Ricoh GR, and get something like the RX100, and small panasonic travel zoom like the ZS40. Keep my pockets full and light.  Many days I left the DSLR at home and used my phone.

I took these with my old android.

http://www.scottzinda.com/ROME/ROME-Smartphone-Pics/i-4bBFC3t

And these with my DSLR.

http://www.scottzinda.com/ROME/ROME-DSLR/i-4fFTPJX

I had a lot more fun with less camera expect for the first few DSLR shots I took late at night after everyone was asleep.

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Canon G9 X II Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +2 more
phazelag
phazelag Veteran Member • Posts: 3,229

I think if I was going now I would consider buying an Olympus Stylus one and a Ricoh GR.  And just take those two.

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Canon G9 X II Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +2 more
windmillgolfer
windmillgolfer Forum Pro • Posts: 14,933
Re: Bring my FZ200 or Pentax K30 to Europe? Seconded

Sold all the dSLR kit 18 months ago. Never looked back.  On all travel trips I take LX7 plus TZ30 ( or FZ200 if serious wildlife opportunities are in the plan) and a pocket tripod. Had LX5 before LX7.  The LX7 is so cheap in the USA, I'd buy one and take the LX7 and FZ200. If not, then just the FZ200. See my Flickr account for travel Sets by location and camera.

Looking to the future, depending on further IQ reviews to confirm the promising initial reviews, the ZS40/TZ60 has potential to be an excellent single all purpose camera given 24-720 and built-in EVF.

Notes.

TZ30/ZS20, LX5, LX7 and the new ZS40/TZ60 all use the BC13 battery. So, a single external mains charger can be used and spare batteries shared.

If you add the LX7, you have the option to buy a Kiwi-tube adapter and an LWA52 to give you an 18mm f1.4 capability Also LVF2 add-on EVF if bright light reflections in LCD are an issue. Given the high price of the LVF2 in the UK, I'm hanging on to replace the T30 with the TZ60.

Have a great trip.

-- hide signature --

Stuart
Also at http://www.flickr.com/photos/dieselgolfer/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, please upgrade the FZ50

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +2 more
peteshep Regular Member • Posts: 132

Paul, although people are different, in case of interest I found the FZ200 very flexible for recent travel. My first (mostly recent) eight or so Sets on flickr are all hurried FZ200. There's also a Set on my FZ200 Travel Accessories.

http://flickr.com/peteshep/sets

Try this Set for example: http://www.flickr.com/photos/peteshep/sets/72157637462816494/

My question is: what travel back-up do you have in mind?

Enjoy the travel and it will show.

P

PS I found the FZ200 ok in low light set to the SCN Hand-held low-light setting. VG stabiliser.

peteshep's gear list:peteshep's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads