The Sunday BIRD Volume 9, Issue 32 February 2, 2014

Started Feb 2, 2014 | Photos
K1W1 55
K1W1 55 Contributing Member • Posts: 531
Something from yesterday

As per my saga in another thread I drove to the Butterfly House at Dunedin to test my DIY twin flash rig to little success. But as I wandered around a couple of the wee birds they keep for interest and pest control alighted to watch me. These wee things are quick, he was sitting still when I framed/focused but managed to raise his wings during the exposure, I saw no movement, wings down when I pressed and wings down when exposure completed. Taken with 35mm macro plus TC14 and my twin flash.

-- hide signature --

Some Slideshows of a wee bit of my work, more to be added if I ever sort out my music rights issues.
http://www.youtube.com/user/truder55/videos

K1W1 55's gear list:K1W1 55's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +33 more
jiankliu Contributing Member • Posts: 559
Visitors

Recently these birds frequently visit us...

Woodpecker

Flicker

jiankliu's gear list:jiankliu's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-M1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sony Alpha a7 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +11 more
Hans H. Siegrist
Hans H. Siegrist Senior Member • Posts: 2,440
Itches

E-M1 (on loan for testing purposes from Olympus Switzerland), ZD 300mm, EC-20

Grey Heron

Great Egret

Cheers!

-- hide signature --
 Hans H. Siegrist's gear list:Hans H. Siegrist's gear list
Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH
Hans H. Siegrist
Hans H. Siegrist Senior Member • Posts: 2,440
Another one

Same equipment as before

Great Egret

Am I impressed with the E-M1? Well, I don't know, really. Image file quality seems to be fine. AF with FT lenses OK but not overwhelming. The body with the HLD-7 grip doesn't counterbalance well the lens with the converter needing a bit more friction from the Arca Z1 ballhead.

So I sent it back to Olympus Switzerland for the moment and bought a Gitzo GT3541XLS tripod instead. Rock solid support for the lenses and the E-5...

Cheers!

-- hide signature --
 Hans H. Siegrist's gear list:Hans H. Siegrist's gear list
Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH
DavBem Regular Member • Posts: 395
From window

Still learning this birding thing.

And also learning Sigma 50-500.

Unfortunately is raining, no sun, no light. Very low shutter speed. I tried also flash, FL-36. This one is with flash.

DavBem's gear list:DavBem's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-510 +4 more
sanjaykool Contributing Member • Posts: 711
Birds from India

C &  welcome

all with EM1 with 50-200 SWD + EC 14

Flame throated Bulbul

minivet

heart spotted woodpecker

Nuthatch

Rganks for looking

- Sanjaykool

Pam47
Pam47 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,696
Winter Birds

My Feathered Friends...all shot through the window...was too cold to sit in my blind...

Male Northern Cardinal

Female Red-bellied Woodpecker

Blue Jay

Male Downy Woodpecker

Female Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

-- hide signature --

Pam
P850 & Kodak 1.4 tcon
P880
Oly E500 with kit lens & Zuiko70-300mm lens
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/listing/user/pandrbirds1
From good old Pennsylvania

Pam47
Pam47 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,696
Re: Southern California Birds, EM1, 50-200 SWD, EC14, some shot with DTC

I enjoyed them...specially the Kingfisher...congrats on that capture 

-- hide signature --

Pam
P850 & Kodak 1.4 tcon
P880
Oly E500 with kit lens & Zuiko70-300mm lens
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/listing/user/pandrbirds1
From good old Pennsylvania

Richard Pavek
OP Richard Pavek Veteran Member • Posts: 6,969
Re: My birds this week

Peter,
They always have red, they smear brown earth in their wings when mating.
Richard. ...

µJoe Regular Member • Posts: 444
Re:Wako with Sigma 50-500

Met up with Milt this past Friday and tried out his Sigma 50-500 with my E-M1.  My tripod and the lens mount didn't match up so all pics hand-held.  Can be a beast but it was pretty fun trying it out.  Focusing was faster and than I expected and the battery held up well (approx 180 shots using AF, continuous low speed).

Green Heron

Little Blue Heron

Tricolored Heron

GBH Landing

Cormorants

Thanks Milt.  Hope to do it again sometime.

-- hide signature --
 µJoe's gear list:µJoe's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Nikon D750 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +4 more
jiankliu Contributing Member • Posts: 559
Re:Wako with Sigma 50-500

Beautiful, how about BIF?

jiankliu's gear list:jiankliu's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-M1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sony Alpha a7 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +11 more
CollBaxter
CollBaxter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,724
Re: From window

Nice Dav.

As I 50-500 user I can make some recomendation.

Firstly at 500 mm shoot the lens at f/8 its its sweet spot. This also increases the dof which is very narrow at 500mm.

That lens looks like it front focusing a bit . I have had 2 and they where both inclined to front  focus at bit. I would dial in about +2 on the tele side of the lens adjustments. +2 does not sound like  lot but a 500 mm it is.

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=21652&username=collin
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
CalNature Senior Member • Posts: 1,149
Re: North Valley bird trip...

Thanks for the comments and questions.

All photos taken with the EM-1 were with the 90-250 plus TC14 Plus DC 2x (=1416 in ff). I use a tripod for these sitting/stationary bird situations. For me, its a killer combination that far surpasses what I got with the E5 (which I still like and retain). These are all JPEGs, mostly OOC with very little PP adjustments. I have Mysets set up so that I can quickly change from stationary bird situations to dynamic BIF by just pushing one button on the camera. I am using CAF for tracking...ok by my standards, but technique is important. I am steadily improving with action photos: the camera is about as good as the E-5, but perhaps more importantly I am learning better methods of capturing birds in flight (especially understanding and predicting flight patterns). In some ways  Canikon BIF photographers may be handicapped by apparently better action tracking abilities: by that I mean simply capturing a fast bird in flight may not be the most emotionally appealing representation of birds in flight, if you get my drift.

The EM-5 photos deployed the 75-300. I use this setup handheld. For these photos, I was at a wildlife refuge's auto tour in which one can't get out of the car. This small setup is great for pointing out the window of the car. BTW, the EM-5 firmware update (2.0) includes small focus...this allowed me to nail the focus on the grebe. You may notice that the bird was partially hidden by vegetation so the small AF square was set on the head/eyeball.

So for me, these two setups (small EM-5 plus 75-300 and the EM-1 with the big 90-250) work very well. I am delighted with the upgrade!

And I have big hands too!

watcher1
watcher1 Regular Member • Posts: 190
Birds in Snow - Southeastern USA

All taken with E-M1 + Panasonic 100-300mm, hand-held.

House Finch (female), American Goldfinch, Northern Cardinal (male)

Northern Cardinal (female)

House Finch (male)

Yellow-Rumped Warbler

Dark-Eyed Junco

All were shot this week on my back deck during a rare snow/ice storm that shut down Atlanta for three days. I couldn't get out, so used the time to practice. Shot at a distance of about 15 feet using 180 to 250mm focal length (360-500 full-frame equivalent) giving good isolation. I cropped and tweaked them in LR 5.3. My 100-300 is turning out to be a worthy lens.

I'll try to post a few more later.

watcher1's gear list:watcher1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Sony RX1R II Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +5 more
watcher1
watcher1 Regular Member • Posts: 190
More Birds in Snow

As before, shot with E-M1 + Panasonic 100-300mm, hand-held at a distance of about 15 feet. Enjoy.

Pine Warbler (not a good shot of the shape, but I love the color)

Downy Woodpecker (male)

Carolina Wren (a feisty guy, one of my favorites)

watcher1's gear list:watcher1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Sony RX1R II Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +5 more
Ravenwing Photo
Ravenwing Photo Contributing Member • Posts: 663
Bluebird

From the back stacks (2008), E-330 and 50-200, pretty much 100% crops.  Didn't want to disturb the nesting pair.

-- hide signature --

Nate

Ravenwing Photo's gear list:Ravenwing Photo's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 +6 more
DavBem Regular Member • Posts: 395

CollBaxter wrote:

Nice Dav.

As I 50-500 user I can make some recomendation.

Firstly at 500 mm shoot the lens at f/8 its its sweet spot. This also increases the dof which is very narrow at 500mm.

That lens looks like it front focusing a bit . I have had 2 and they where both inclined to front focus at bit. I would dial in about +2 on the tele side of the lens adjustments. +2 does not sound like lot but a 500 mm it is.

Thank you Collin. I already know about f8, but I made some tests with my teles (70-300,50-200, 50-500, EC14) and used all wide open. This shot is just one of them.

I were thinking that the focus is not where it have to be. You cleared that. Will put -2 in and try again in this days.

A question. If I use liveview, and manual focus can I still have front/back focus in the final image?

DavBem's gear list:DavBem's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-510 +4 more
CollBaxter
CollBaxter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,724

Dave for front focus your must go plus. (Push the focus forward)

Manual focus will not be affected.

Live view in The E-series still uses the mirror in a hybrid fashion.

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=21652&username=collin
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
Richard Pavek
Re: Backyard shots

Especially like the first Spotted Dove.
Richard. ...

Richard Pavek
Re: Southern California Birds, EM1, 50-200 SWD, EC14, some shot with DTC

Very nice work. THE Belted K is a great shot!
Richard

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads