What is your idea of "the lens gap?"

Started Feb 1, 2014 | Polls
windsprite
windsprite Senior Member • Posts: 2,535
Re: Ok, I'll bite

Big Ga wrote:

I wonder if they could pull off something that expands monstrously, while being fairly compact when collapsed?

Keep your filthy thoughts to yourself, please.  People are trying to discuss photography here!

Julie

windsprite's gear list:windsprite's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D2H Nikon D300 +42 more
Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 12,895
Re: what really bugs me ...

Kim Letkeman wrote:

... is that Tamron and Sigma have excellent constant 2.8 zooms with OIS that really aren't very big. On a Nikon, these are 28-75, so is it too much to ask to get a design from one of them for a 12-35 2.8 based on the same designs? Both Sigma and Tamron make wicked sharp versions of these lenses ... and they are quite cheap ...

Unfortunately, they go where the sales are, and Canikon remains more fertile ground ...

The real reason they build lenses for Canikon is that both share the same sensor size and so they can amortize the design and tooling costs for a single lens over larger market - a market that includes the potential to sell the same lenses to other APS-C customers such as Pentax, Sony, etc. as well.

M43 has a unique sensor size, and that hurts it in the quest for native third party lenses.

Kim Letkeman
Kim Letkeman Forum Pro • Posts: 33,428
Re: what really bugs me ...

Sean Nelson wrote:

Kim Letkeman wrote:

... is that Tamron and Sigma have excellent constant 2.8 zooms with OIS that really aren't very big. On a Nikon, these are 28-75, so is it too much to ask to get a design from one of them for a 12-35 2.8 based on the same designs? Both Sigma and Tamron make wicked sharp versions of these lenses ... and they are quite cheap ...

Unfortunately, they go where the sales are, and Canikon remains more fertile ground ...

The real reason they build lenses for Canikon is that both share the same sensor size and so they can amortize the design and tooling costs for a single lens over larger market - a market that includes the potential to sell the same lenses to other APS-C customers such as Pentax, Sony, etc. as well.

Yes, I am aware that the shared image circle means that nothing important has to change other than the mount to maintain an appropriate distance to the sensor.

M43 has a unique sensor size, and that hurts it in the quest for native third party lenses.

Yes, but since Sigma already has APS-C Sony E mount lenses that are remounted for m4/3 at a slight size disadvantage, I see no reason why Tamron or Sigma couldn't do the same with their 2.8 small zooms.

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D600 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +17 more
TomFid Senior Member • Posts: 2,588
Re: Many, many good ideas here

I'm glad you did this. I thought it was just a few of us weirdos who wanted a long prime, but it's clearly more than that. Dpreview might still be a non-normal sample of the camera-buying public, but I'd guess that we're increasingly representative, as the great unwashed hordes switch to camera phones and fall off the market for PanOly.

TomFid's gear list:TomFid's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +3 more
Marty4650
OP Marty4650 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,773
Tom

Dpreview might not be a good sample of the "buying public in general" but it an excellent sample group for anyone thinking of selling very expensive lenses.

The general public doesn't visit this site. Only photo enthusiasts do, and these are the people who might think a $500 lens is cheap, and a $1,000 lens is a good value.

The general public is very happy with their cell phone cameras, and Dpreview has a site especially for them.

What really struck me about this poll is that despite having 72 different lenses available, the users have identified around a dozen more they would like to see, and very likely buy.

My budget would prevent me from buying a 300mm f/2.8 lens, but a much cheaper and more compact 300mm f/4.0 really sounds appealing to me. I would never buy a TSE lens, but there are plenty of others who would. And everyone seems to want more fast primes, and faster zooms. We already have four very nice pancake lenses but there still is a demand for more. Especially in a 25mm lens.

All the doom and gloom about market share doesn't worry me. MILC cameras already have 20% of the ILC market, and around 10% of the overall market. This much volume provides enough economies of scale to be profitable. And people are always willing to pay a little bit more to get exactly what they want. If that wasn't true, then everyone would own a Nikon D3200 two lens kit they bought at Target, Costco or Walmart.

I think the future is bright for us.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +12 more
MrGubrz
MrGubrz Senior Member • Posts: 1,306
Re: What is your idea of "the lens gap?"

i voted for weather sealed

but id also like a 12-25 f2 zoom.  i wonder if it could be had for under $1500 and roughly pl25/1.4 sized?

or a 17-25  that would cover 90% of my shots.. the 12 would just be handy for indoor group stuff, lol

MrGubrz's gear list:MrGubrz's gear list
Sony a9 Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS +9 more
Mario G Junior Member • Posts: 39

I'd like to see more ultra-fast primes of various focal lengths, like the F0.95 Voigtlanders but with auto-focus (and AF fast like the PL25/1.4).

Mario G's gear list:Mario G's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 +2 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,509
My idea of the lens gap

The spot next to the 300 2.8!

Big Ga Forum Pro • Posts: 18,615
Re: brain fart ...

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Big Ga wrote:

Kim Letkeman wrote:

I also agree on the need for 28-300 equivalent travel zooms. And let's make them fast ... f/3.5 to f/5.6 at worst ....

Hmm. So what's wrong with something like the current panny 14-140 Mk2 ?

Oops ... I meant the new generation of 28-450 EFL ... Nikon's is better than the previous generation.

I'm quite happy with my 14-140 Mk1 ... it is very sharp and all that ... but I would not complain if Panny released something as good as Nikon's 18-300 in a 14-230 or thereabouts ... of course, they had their chance and chose not to, one supposes to shrink the current lens for whatever reason (keep the shutter shock debate going perhaps.)

Personally, I'm happy with what they've done. I've recently picked up a MK2 14-140 and I'm a bit shocked as to how good it is over the whole range! need more testing to be sure, but for me, its a real winner and I really appreciate the compact size for what it is.

I know some people crave more reach, but (and again, this is just me), once you go over 300mm equivalent, you often start to get into all sorts of IQ destroying issues like shake, air quality blurring etc.

The only thing I'd love is if they could manage a 12-140 type lens. If they made the 12mm end as good as the 14mm wide end is now, I'd be in heaven ... and I generally HATE superzooms, as in the past I've always found the IQ compromises too much. I'm not so sure that's the case anymore with the 14-140MK2. Not in good light anyway

Big Ga Forum Pro • Posts: 18,615
Re: Ok, I'll bite

windsprite wrote:

Big Ga wrote:

I wonder if they could pull off something that expands monstrously, while being fairly compact when collapsed?

Keep your filthy thoughts to yourself, please. People are trying to discuss photography here!

Julie

I must have subconsciously been thinking of you when I wrote it, oh full bosomed one.

Fancy getting a room?

I hear there is a nice quiet one on the floor above. Apartment 1022 I think. Not much going on there anymore ... I'm sure we could get up to all sorts of things if we wanted to ... photography related of course ...

Paul Auclair Veteran Member • Posts: 4,658
300 F/4 (and/or 400/5.6) and TCs

1.4X and/or 2X TC and a 300mm F/4 please sir.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Paul

rorycberger Forum Member • Posts: 68

Like many others, I want a long and a short prime.

I don't need 300mm but would like something in the 150-200 range. Fast would be nice but I'd take F4 to make it smaller/cheaper.

Same idea on the wide end. An F4 prime in the 7-9mm range that is smaller and cheaper than the current rectilinear ultrawide options would be great.

To be clear, when I say cheap I mean ~$400-500. I'm not looking for bargain basement and I would hope to get similar performance as the current primes in that price range.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads