We know 8fps is great, but lets see some images where fps did not matter

Started Feb 1, 2014 | Discussions
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,624
Re: We know 8fps is great, but lets see some images where fps did not matter

ABA DABA wrote:

Absolutely correct

Ditto.

-- hide signature --

Amateur photographer. Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

rkumar Regular Member • Posts: 497
D50, airshow

higher fps would have helped, but still managed to get a few...

Blue Angels, San Francisco, 2012

Blue Angels, San Francisco, 2012

gucio33 Contributing Member • Posts: 792
I got two

Devendra wrote:

it will be nice to see action shots where fps did not matter.

Didn't matter here.

Nor it did here.

1971_M5
1971_M5 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,957
Re: D50, single frame works fine.

Jon... the snake is excellent.  Sharp and buttery.  Very nice lens.  1/30th @ 105mm (157.5) -- does it have VR/IS or whatever Sigma calls it?

1971_M5's gear list:1971_M5's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +4 more
1971_M5
1971_M5 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,957
Back to the 80's

Or even the 1970's.  For some reason, I still shoot like I have film in the camera.  Not wanting to waste shots and somehow in the back of my mind I'm thinking about the cost of processing and printing.  Spot metering and single-point focus.  Get things set and then recompose with my finger half-way down on the button.  Press once.  Then maybe re-meter, re-focus, re-frame... press again.  I hardly ever have my finger pressed down continually.  My thumb is not getting enough exercise with these digital cameras.  I do miss the D300 though... the feel and the balance and the nice heft.  I had to look back to find these pics and as I was poking around I was saying to myself... that is a darn fine camera!

1971_M5's gear list:1971_M5's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +4 more
David Rosser
David Rosser Veteran Member • Posts: 3,465

I hardly ever use other than single shot for motor sport - everything is very predictable - take an exposure reading off the road, nice grey card substitute, focus on an oil patch or similar where you want car to be in picture - pan and release shutter as target goes through pre-focused spot. The last bit does need some practice as you have to allow for delay between pressing shutter release and mirror rising etc.

-- hide signature --
 David Rosser's gear list:David Rosser's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC5 Sony RX100 III Nikon D40 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +8 more
Devendra
OP Devendra Veteran Member • Posts: 3,584
excellent images so far!

Certainly lots of wonderful shots, that are in action and well captured.

here are a few "birds" shots:

following the pair and holding the shutter when the composition seemed right

cormorants go down deep and emerge out of the water out of nowhere in a random manner. i did rapid fire and acquisition with my D200 and non-vr sigma. It locked and took a sequence, but the 3rd frame got the fish n beak in sharp focus.

a simple track and shoot. D200 at it again.

more tracking and shooting when composition seemed right

please continue to post, as I always enjoying watching and admiring work of others, especially when well deserved.

Please continue to them coming..

Devendra's gear list:Devendra's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-3N
n057 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,483

Devendra wrote:

Our jfriend, who is highly skilled, has shown some valid shots where 8fps can be helpful in sports. Most of us do not shoot sports, but do plenty of actions. No one is denying the validity of those images or how much fun 8fps is to get focused shots, but whenever we are responding with alternatives, or subsequent arguments, we are seeing strong authoritative (non-jfriend) replies that try to put us down. I was even surprised to see a threatening PM.

Here are a few of those non FPS shots.

An antique car race at the Mont-Tremblant circuit. Every shot during the race was hopelessly blurred. Static shots are okay, so I figured my best bet was to wait for the cars as they were exiting the circuit.

Later I tried my hand at something different, a Triathlon in Saint-Lambert.

At least you get a sense of speed here because I was panning. But at 3 FPS, with a 3 shot buffer, I quickly got the urge to upgrade. The exif tells it all.

JC

Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +7 more
Devendra
OP Devendra Veteran Member • Posts: 3,584
finally..

good to see some shots from you instead of just talks. It is a welcome improvement and a break. I certainly like how panning is happening in your shots giving a strong sense of motion and a sharp shot.

Thanks for playing along and hope to see more. I would rather admire images here. I know its a gear forum, but  nothing beats watching great images from other forum members.

PS: you can ignore my other post against you.

n057 wrote:

Devendra wrote:

Our jfriend, who is highly skilled, has shown some valid shots where 8fps can be helpful in sports. Most of us do not shoot sports, but do plenty of actions. No one is denying the validity of those images or how much fun 8fps is to get focused shots, but whenever we are responding with alternatives, or subsequent arguments, we are seeing strong authoritative (non-jfriend) replies that try to put us down. I was even surprised to see a threatening PM.

Here are a few of those non FPS shots.

An antique car race at the Mont-Tremblant circuit. Every shot during the race was hopelessly blurred. Static shots are okay, so I figured my best bet was to wait for the cars as they were exiting the circuit.

Later I tried my hand at something different, a Triathlon in Saint-Lambert.

At least you get a sense of speed here because I was panning. But at 3 FPS, with a 3 shot buffer, I quickly got the urge to upgrade. The exif tells it all.

JC

Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

Devendra's gear list:Devendra's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-3N
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads