Sigma 18-35/1.8 flare question

Started Jan 29, 2014 | Discussions
chary zp Senior Member • Posts: 1,452
Sigma 18-35/1.8 flare question

Has anybody got a real life experience with this lens and shooting under strong lamps? These are shot with Nikkor 18-105vr with the lens hood on and the flare is... well. The small bits in the centre of the first photo are quite easy to retouch, but the huge bit in the top right corner of the second photo is somewhat nasty. Would Sigma behave better?

chary zp's gear list:chary zp's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +11 more
Brent Allen Thale Regular Member • Posts: 486
Re: Sigma 18-35/1.8 flare question

I have the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 for Nikon, I love it but it is sensitive to flare as well. I've been using it without the lens hood because I have a step-up ring on the front I've been too lazy to take off. Without the hood it will show visible flare artifacts, I can't say with the hood how much better it would be.

Flare example without hood: http://www.wingedmammal.com/action_photos_2014/action_photo_140127.shtml

Brent Allen Thale's gear list:Brent Allen Thale's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
OP chary zp Senior Member • Posts: 1,452

Brent Allen Thale wrote:

I have the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 for Nikon, I love it but it is sensitive to flare as well. I've been using it without the lens hood because I have a step-up ring on the front I've been too lazy to take off. Without the hood it will show visible flare artifacts, I can't say with the hood how much better it would be.

Flare example without hood: http://www.wingedmammal.com/action_photos_2014/action_photo_140127.shtml

Oh dear. And may I ask what is the source of the flare in this picture without any shadows? Or is it shot in "behind the house" and so carefully composed that it is not clear that it is a sunny day and the sun is just outside the frame of the photo?

Nikon D90 Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +11 more
PSCL1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,647

If you have a 1.8 lens and shoot directly at a lamp, what do you expect?  Of course you have flare. Those are the laws of physics.  Help me understand why this is a topic of discussion.

PSCL1's gear list:PSCL1's gear list
Leica X1 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N +27 more
OP chary zp Senior Member • Posts: 1,452

PSCL1 wrote:

If you have a 1.8 lens and shoot directly at a lamp, what do you expect? Of course you have flare. Those are the laws of physics. Help me understand why this is a topic of discussion.

How come that some lenses are more prone to flare than others, even when the source of the flare is not directly present in the frame?

Would you kindly explain the physics in the photo in Brent Allen Thale's post in this thread, since there is no obvious strong light source present in the scene?

johnierebel Senior Member • Posts: 1,927

chary zp wrote:

PSCL1 wrote:

If you have a 1.8 lens and shoot directly at a lamp, what do you expect? Of course you have flare. Those are the laws of physics. Help me understand why this is a topic of discussion.

How come that some lenses are more prone to flare than others, even when the source of the flare is not directly present in the frame?

Would you kindly explain the physics in the photo in Brent Allen Thale's post in this thread, since there is no obvious strong light source present in the scene?

Sunlight or another source of light is being reflected off something like a car mirror or a whole hosts of different surfaces just outside the view of the camera.

edspen Regular Member • Posts: 195

Without a hood, ambient light could be cumulative giving you internal glare. Those goofy shaped hoods really work, amazing how 10 cents of plastic improves hundreds of $ in glass. I better be quiet or my next prime will be all plastic (lol).

-- hide signature --

Ed

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads