The Fuji XT-1 is out, and it's making me wonder what's next for Pentax....

Started Jan 28, 2014 | Discussions
Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 6,337
Re: The Fuji XT-1 is out, and it's making me wonder what's next for Pentax....

Lars Holte wrote:

dpreview seems to want to compare the Fuji X-T1 to DSLRs like Pentax K-3, and I can see where they are going with that. To some degree it seems a valid comparison. Physically, there is a resemblance. There is even a "mirror housing".

What are the advantages of the Fuji X-T1? First and foremost more compact and nearly half the weight. However, these two advantages will mean less when combined with long or heavy lenses. Combined with small primes it could be a quite light-weight and compact package, but then the mirror housing seems an odd choice that ruin some of the compactness.

And the disadvantages: much poorer viewfinder and probably some small lag.

If you use the comparometer and put the X-T1 next to the K-3, the K-3 seems a much better option - at least to me.

Hi Lars,

I think DSLRs and mirror-less cameras are (at the current state of technology) just two different genres of camera with advantages and disadvantages.  And it's not 'either/or'.  I'm planning to own both.  Mirror-less offers very few operational advantages over a DSLR except size, but that can be a big one if (say) you're travelling.  They really only offer the  advantage of compactness with a limited kit - perhaps one zoom or a few small primes, and then they excel.  For any bigger lenses, and particularly fast zooms, it seems to me that there's a better balance with a DSLR.  (Not everyone agrees).  I've travelled extensively with a DSLR, and I'm not going to do so again - it's mirror-less for me.  I'll use my K5 on other occasions and whenever I want to do tele and macro work.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +10 more
Les Lammers
Les Lammers Veteran Member • Posts: 3,478

For me it boils down to size and IQ. At the end of the day I am a loyal Pentax user and have been for over 10 years. And the IQ I get from my K-5 and K-01 makes me happy. I Just love the smaller form factor of my X100, and think I personally would like a Pentax that was similar in some respects to the XT-1. I had heard the rumor about an MX like mirrorless coming out one day? That would be the bees knees to me.

No early adoption for me. I bought a used X-100 and love it.  My K5, DA Limiteds and 18-135 are not going anywhere...yet. I am going to wait and see if there will be a MX mirrorless.

Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
Les Lammers

The XT-1 is really for longer lenses that can be unweildy on the other X bodies and shooters that don't care for a rangefinder inspired body. Looks like a very nice camera.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
tcom Veteran Member • Posts: 7,461

sgtsween wrote:

Thoughts? Friendly advice or rumors of what this year may bring for Pentaxians?

The rumor is about the 645DII

tcom's gear list:tcom's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Pentax 645D Pentax 645Z Nikon D500 Nikon D5 +27 more
fakuryu
fakuryu Senior Member • Posts: 1,338
If I was in the market for a new camera or system...

sgtsween wrote:

The XT-1 is basically what I would love to see Pentax do. Mirrorless with an excellent EVF. APS-C would be just fine but FF would be even better.

I keep telling myself to wait and see what Pentax comes out with this year. Am I in for a good surprise or am I missing the Fuji boat?

For reference I have a K-5, K-01, Q, AND Fuji X100. I love Pentax, and feel like waiting to see what is in store this year but the XT-1 is darn near perfect.

I would definitely give the Fuji XT1 a long hard look (no matter how huge the EVF is, I still don't like it as much as a proper OVF). I don't know how it performs but paper spec wise, looks like a smaller K3 to me with an excellent 16mp X trans sensor (I always wished that the K3 stuck with the excellent 16mp sensor).

Fuji also has a lot of excellent lenses in their stable, looks like the Fuji primes are on par with Limiteds which I love and Fuji has the best JPG SOOC out there and I will be happy shooting JPG with it the whole day.

Fuji XT1, 35mm f1.4R and the 56mm f1.2R and I'm all set but not really enough for me to leave my K5II and my primes.

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II +1 more
sgtsween
OP sgtsween Regular Member • Posts: 441

I hope not only the 645 as that camera/format is out of my price range and needs. I am happy with APS-C (but want to try FF in the future.)

sgtsween's gear list:sgtsween's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-01 +13 more
sgtsween
OP sgtsween Regular Member • Posts: 441

MX mirrorless would do it for me I think. I'm with you on early adoption etc. I got my X100 new but after the X-Pro 1 came out so I was somewhat late to the party. Awesome camera and even better with recent FW upgrade. That said, my K-5 get's more use. And I see my K-01 even trumoing it as it lets me use the few MF lenses I have more effectively with the focus peaking.

sgtsween's gear list:sgtsween's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-01 +13 more
Lars Holte
Lars Holte Senior Member • Posts: 1,193

Les Lammers wrote:

The XT-1 is really for longer lenses that can be unweildy on the other X bodies and shooters that don't care for a rangefinder inspired body. Looks like a very nice camera.

Yes, the design is fine, but if it is really meant for longer lenses, what is the advantage of mirrorless over a conventional DSLR like the K-3?

The K-3 is slightly larger and somewhat heavier, but it also has IBIS, double the battery capacity, a larger and brighter optical viewfinder and in-built flash.

-- hide signature --

Lars H

Lars Holte's gear list:Lars Holte's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +10 more
Russell Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 12,615
Waiting for Fuji to come out with a digital GA645, GW670, or GW690,

You know they have got to be thinking about it.

Thank you
Russell

MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 38,500

Anyone else think Ricoh and Fuji might be sharing with each other? The weather sealing and temperature rating to -10C and the remote triggering with a cell phone or tablet... So they're either sharing or Fuji is just competing.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Les Lammers

If you already had an XE-1 or 2 you would have the best of both worlds using the same lenses.

audiobomber
audiobomber Veteran Member • Posts: 5,764

Rod McD wrote:

Mirror-less offers very few operational advantages over a DSLR except size, but that can be a big one if (say) you're travelling.

My best opportunities for photos are when I travel. On vacation I bring two DSLR's, a Q and a whole bunch of lenses in one large and one small kit bag. For short trips I carry a DSLR with three lenses in a small messenger bag, or the K-3 and one lens in a bag that just fits it. A smaller body would gain me nothing except compromise.

They really only offer the advantage of compactness with a limited kit - perhaps one zoom or a few small primes, and then they excel.

How does a MILC with small primes excel over a K-3 with small primes? Are you just talking about size again?

For any bigger lenses, and particularly fast zooms, it seems to me that there's a better balance with a DSLR. (Not everyone agrees). I've travelled extensively with a DSLR, and I'm not going to do so again - it's mirror-less for me. I'll use my K5 on other occasions and whenever I want to do tele and macro work.

A DSLR is the only all-purpose body. I say this as an avid birder and action shooter, and as someone with a bunch of small primes for general photography.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +19 more
Daedbird Regular Member • Posts: 219
Meh.....

What makes sense for Pentax?

Does making a new mirror less lens mount, and designing all-new lenses make sense, when the market is saturated with Fujifilm, Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, and Olympus already with growing lens systems and mirror less bodies? No.

My thought would be to build a mirror less body with a m4/3+ mount, the + being a special mount that has a passthrough power outlet. This would power a new adapter that would make K-mount lenses completely functional. I would also place an APSc or something larger than a m4/3 sensor in the thing. Therefore, you get to utilize the m4/3 lens system, and people do not think buying proprietary lenses could be a waste.

As far as my list of priorities if I was running Pentax:

1. Flu Card - Get that wireless setup done with already

2. Update FA* lenses - DC motors, weather-sealing. Those would go to

3. FF Pentax - Call it the K-3F and put the 24mp full frame sensor in it

4. Weatherize all the Limited lenses - seals all around

5. Weatherize all lens options - lets just do it, so we can claim every product we sell is sealed

6. 645II release - Cram UHD recording into it. Even with a 30min buffer, people would go wild.

7. Release K60 - mic port, high frame-rate for slow motion video

8. Release K4 in October - The K4 shoots 4K, get it?

9. K-02 - This competes with Black Magic - a slimmer version of the original with live HDMI output for a monitor, headphone jack, improved SR, Flu card capable

yudi Regular Member • Posts: 480
Don't follow FUJI.

Fuji XT-1, again, for $1299?!

The Fuji is selling less and less yearly, because they like to price the cameras for over $1000 always. Thinking about $1299, I like my K01 better. Assume not raising the price much, Pentax only need to

1. Make K01 thinner to have the handgrip more comfortable to hold.

2. Add a EVF so that it is more useful in sunny days.

If making more powerful AF, titled LCD, ... for K01, the price could be little bit more higher.

The classical looking is not necessary. Frankly speaking, I like the looking of K01. It did attract attentions when I was traveling. No need to make a fancy mirror-less at this moment, maybe in three years, considering DSLRs are still dominate the camera market.

Just improve the K01 to make a complementary light camera for K3 & K5IIs, and attract more entry-level users for K-mount. if PENTAX wants to continue doing BUSINESS.

I believe that Pentax is exploring new designs of a new mirror-less camera. However, first of all, they should make K3 selling better. A light K-mount mirror-less like K-01 definitely could help.

yudi's gear list:yudi's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +5 more
rwl408 Senior Member • Posts: 1,829
Re: EVF is poised to take over OVF

EVF is getting better and better as days go by and seems to be ready to compete with OVF in the enthusiastic DSLR market segment. People has predicted that EVF will eventually take over OVF and Fujifilm's X-T1 indicates that the prediction is on the right track.

Gary Martin
Gary Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 4,062
Do we really want ANOTHER Pentax lens mount?

sgtsween wrote:

The XT-1 is basically what I would love to see Pentax do. Mirrorless with an excellent EVF. APS-C would be just fine but FF would be even better.

I keep telling myself to wait and see what Pentax comes out with this year. Am I in for a good surprise or am I missing the Fuji boat

So, we want a full-frame K-mount camera for our FA Limiteds and older glass; then of course we have our DA lineup for APS-C; and then there's the Q system; and then there's the 645D mount.

And so now we want to add an all new, mirrorless mount to the mix? Sounds like a prescription for failure to me. If you like the Fuji so much ... buy the Fuji. Personally, although the Fuji system looks appealing, I think all these mirrorless systems (Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji) have too many players already, and there's going to be a lot of red ink with at least one or two of them.

Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Ricoh GR II Pentax K-5 IIs Olympus PEN-F Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +13 more
leopold Forum Pro • Posts: 14,083

sgtsween wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Buy what is available today, and not what is rumored. I like Pentax but at the same time I am glad I didn't wait for them to release what I wanted (would still be waiting).

Fuji has some of the best lenses in the market and a very promising line up. Do they offer today what you want out of the system? All your Pentax lenses can of course be used manually with adapters.

Eric

I've thought about this. Getting a K to X adaptor for the 8 or so k mount lenses I have. Some of them are MF anways. From what I hear the focus peaking on the XT-1 was implemented really well. Definitely a factor in my decision. As others have noted I'm not sure waiting for a similar product from Pentax would be fruitful as I guess the K mount is not suited for a mirrorless with a compact (thin) body (see K-01, which I have and love.)

Remember that the lens + adapter will make for a long lens protruding in front of the camera. A thin camera is not the best thing for handling those set-up, my NEX-3 is like that and i prefer to use small lenses with the adapter.

leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
Britney Elvis Veteran Member • Posts: 5,184
A Fuchsia and Chartreuse K3-II Ltd

sgtsween wrote:

I keep telling myself to wait and see what Pentax comes out with this year. Am I in for a good surprise or am I missing the Fuji boat?

For reference I have a K-5, K-01, Q, AND Fuji X100. I love Pentax, and feel like waiting to see what is in store this year but the XT-1 is darn near perfect.

A Fuchsia and chartreuse K3-IIs

Seriously get the Fuji, Richoh aint going mirrorless with the K-mounts

gus

-- hide signature --

"It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them."
~~ Pierre Beaumarchais~~

britcam
britcam Senior Member • Posts: 2,462

Ayoh wrote:

sgtsween wrote:

Fuji camera seem impressive on paper but have you actually used one? The XE-1 for instance has irritating slow and inconsistent AF, laggy and stuttering EVF in moderate light which also pixalates significantly during AF, loud shutter, slow recording speed, no ability to shoot RAW files above 6400 ISO, poor battery life, weak flash, flimsy controls and SD card cover... I could go on.

Usability issues such as these do not seem to come across in the reviews and are lost in the hype of the admittedly attractive retro design of the cameras, and the quality Jpeg files.

Based on my negative experience with not Fuji paying attention to the details, I doubt the XT-1 addresses all these camera issues at once.

Their marketing department sure is ambitious - worlds fastest AF? ..yeah right.

Then I doubt you have used an X-E2, or even an X-E1 with latest firmware, which according to users, transformed AF performance and dealt with other issues. One thing that Fuji does do is to listen to users and take on board improvements.

I have the X-E2, and AF is plenty fast & accurate enough, and the XT-1 will no doubt have the same or better performance.  Until other lenses emerge, and remember that the XF lens range & roadmap is emerging rapidly, sports & birding is better suited to a DSLR.

On the X-E2 at least, the issues you raise do not exist, and to give an accurate picture it pays to compare current models and not past models.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Rich S (britcam)

britcam's gear list:britcam's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +6 more
soheil Veteran Member • Posts: 3,022
Although I hate mirrorless and EVF but ...

K mount lenses may be used on that body with an adaptor.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Soheil
------------------------------
It's the singer not the song.

soheil's gear list:soheil's gear list
Pentax Optio 330GS Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads