Is A mount Sony's Titanic?

Started Jan 28, 2014 | Discussions
Jeadm Senior Member • Posts: 1,862
A trip to this forum isn't complete without the imminent A-mount doom and gloom active thread BS

The doomsayers are akin to the broken clock that's still right twice a day; they seem to live only for their "see I told you so" moment.

So until that time, I guess it's just best to say that opinions are like a**holes: everyone has one. Looks like I'm adding a new signature for a while.

-- hide signature --

-Jeadm
If you're going to worry about something in life, make sure it's life changing and earth shattering, worthy of your time and energy to fret. It's been 5 minutes already; has anybody started a new "Death of A-mount" thread yet?

Jeadm's gear list:Jeadm's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +15 more
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 393
Re: Long term life support, at best

K E Hoffman wrote:

digitalshooter wrote:

Waiting to be taken off! Sony cannot sustain the a mount forever. The crossover from other brands, has not happened. Sony is reaching for anything They can, but ultimately the ship will sink.

Folks are not buying their changes,

Sales figures or are you just making stuff up... I have already shared Sony's success in India.with links. and money is money even if it doesn't come from cranky people in the NA and Europe

You should know by now that only NA and Europe make up the World(tm), the rest of the planet is only good for Care package;-)

Try to explain that there are more 'middle class' folks in India that they are Americans. That they live in hi-end condos, etc, etc.

We had the same problem here in Quebec with Embrair. How can the Brazilian built aircrafts... Which was the same question asked a couple of decade ago: How can these Quebecois built aircraft...

Fact is that Sony is THE major brand in consumer and professional image acquisition worldwide. You and I knows this, some refuse to admit it.

Ralf B
Ralf B Veteran Member • Posts: 8,336
Thanks! Another doom & gloom thread...

Just like requested here . Thanks for complying.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Ralf
www.ralfralph.smugmug.com

Ralf B's gear list:Ralf B's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +14 more
EvilOne
EvilOne Forum Pro • Posts: 14,488
Re: Thanks! Another doom & gloom thread...

My question is why are these doom and gloom people here ( in this Sony forum)?

If I was so disenchnted with Sony as these boo birds seem to be, why are they here and not out shoioting with their new choice of a better system? The whole Idea about life ( the secret of life ) is to be happy. You have to be one miserable person to obsess daily over a camera manufacturer making that much impact on your life.

Are they here to try to convince themselves and are looking for support, or are they here to try to convince us? The funny thing is that none of us here are buying what they are selling, but they still hang out here, and nothing short of putting them on ignore , makes  coming here a pleasant experience. Unless of course their mission is to show just how insecure they are, and just are pessimistic people looking to rain on the party.

I don't know about most people but I've had lots of fun with my A mount stuff, and my photography in genera over the last 50 years, and hope to continue doing so, but if the A mount was to dry up tomorrow I would still have fun with my photography.

As sick as I am , I have a much better outlook on life than those who come here with the attitude that its the end of the world if Sony drops the A mount. You want to see the end of the world , take a look at the big picture through my eyes, because I can see it.

Bill aka EO

EvilOne's gear list:EvilOne's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Nikon Coolpix 990 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A77 +5 more
tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 4,827

EvilOne wrote:

If I was so disenchnted with Sony as these boo birds seem to be, why are they here and not out shoioting with their new choice of a better system? The whole Idea about life ( the secret of life ) is to be happy. You have to be one miserable person to obsess daily over a camera manufacturer making that much impact on your life.

Are they here to try to convince themselves and are looking for support, or are they here to try to convince us? The funny thing is that none of us here are buying what they are selling, but they still hang out here, and nothing short of putting them on ignore , makes coming here a pleasant experience. Unless of course their mission is to show just how insecure they are, and just are pessimistic people looking to rain on the party.

I don't know about most people but I've had lots of fun with my A mount stuff, and my photography in genera over the last 50 years, and hope to continue doing so, but if the A mount was to dry up tomorrow I would still have fun with my photography.

As sick as I am , I have a much better outlook on life than those who come here with the attitude that its the end of the world if Sony drops the A mount. You want to see the end of the world , take a look at the big picture through my eyes, because I can see it.

Bill aka EO

I wish I were wrong. I am here looking for something that would prove me wrong. The people who post "Proof that Sony is committed to building Amount Camera's" are insecure.

1. K E Hoffman, sent out Tweet to the president of Sony, looking for reassurance.... and we all saw how he choked on the answer.
  2. Sony.net came out with some Pro Photographers Reference website.... no Amount camera's to be found.
  3. Sony was a huge sponsor of the PPA show. Then you look at their ad, and its a huge A7r ad... even though its an Professional Photographers show, sony was there for the A7r, not the A99
  4. Then there is the Alpha A3000

YOU, would rather put people on ignore than admit that you were wrong. YOU put me on ignore, when you claimed that Amazon.com was trying to phish for credit card information... by offering Adobe CS6 for $187. AMAZON!

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a99 II Sony 16mm F2.8 Fisheye +10 more
EvilOne

tqlla wrote:

EvilOne wrote:

Are they here to try to convince themselves and are looking for support, or are they here to try to convince us? The funny thing is that none of us here are buying what they are selling, but they still hang out here, and nothing short of putting them on ignore , makes coming here a pleasant experience. Unless of course their mission is to show just how insecure they are, and just are pessimistic people looking to rain on the party.

I don't know about most people but I've had lots of fun with my A mount stuff, and my photography in genera over the last 50 years, and hope to continue doing so, but if the A mount was to dry up tomorrow I would still have fun with my photography.

Bill aka EO

I wish I were wrong. I am here looking for something that would prove me wrong. The people who post "Proof that Sony is committed to building Amount Camera's" are insecure.

1. K E Hoffman, sent out Tweet to the president of Sony, looking for reassurance.... and we all saw how he choked on the answer.
  2. Sony.net came out with some Pro Photographers Reference website.... no Amount camera's to be found.
  3. Sony was a huge sponsor of the PPA show. Then you look at their ad, and its a huge A7r ad... even though its an Professional Photographers show, sony was there for the A7r, not the A99

YOU, would rather put people on ignore than admit that you were wrong. YOU put me on ignore, when you claimed that Amazon.com was trying to phish for credit card information... by offering Adobe CS6 for $187. AMAZON!

I contacted Amazon and Adobe with quotes from you and both told me it was a scam.... So who would you believe?

The people I contacted from both Amazon and Adobe where customer service people. unfortunately not every segment of an organizations know what going on in another segment. If you notice, you are not on ignore any more. FYI we are now recognizing a lot of scammers and counterfeiters are coming out of the walls at Amazon . lots of You tube allocations... my only intent was to make people aware that Amazon Customer S and Adobe Customer S had no clue of any deals. Actually I cared too much, why should I care one way or the other if people on this forum are ripped off, the unfortunate thing is , " I do care "

I've also said that if Sony lives or dies tomorrow it would not be the end of the world for former Minolta and Sony people. My point was; " too much obsession over a freeking camera company and what they may or may not do.

Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Nikon Coolpix 990 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A77 +5 more
Evildogofdoom
Evildogofdoom Senior Member • Posts: 2,118

He's on mine! FUD is incredible on this forum!

Evildogofdoom's gear list:Evildogofdoom's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony a99 II Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony Alpha a99 +15 more
digitalshooter
digitalshooter Forum Pro • Posts: 19,604
Dont fall for these post, it will only get you in trouble! (nt)
-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter
PS: all posts are just my opinion!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 4,827

EvilOne wrote:

tqlla wrote:

YOU, would rather put people on ignore than admit that you were wrong. YOU put me on ignore, when you claimed that Amazon.com was trying to phish for credit card information... by offering Adobe CS6 for $187. AMAZON!

I contacted Amazon and Adobe with quotes from you and both told me it was a scam.... So who would you believe?

The people I contacted from both Amazon and Adobe where customer service people. unfortunately not every segment of an organizations know what going on in another segment. If you notice, you are not on ignore any more. FYI we are now recognizing a lot of scammers and counterfeiters are coming out of the walls at Amazon . lots of You tube allocations... my only intent was to make people aware that Amazon Customer S and Adobe Customer S had no clue of any deals. Actually I cared too much, why should I care one way or the other if people on this forum are ripped off, the unfortunate thing is , " I do care "

I've also said that if Sony lives or dies tomorrow it would not be the end of the world for former Minolta and Sony people. My point was; " too much obsession over a freeking camera company and what they may or may not do.

I am glad to see that I am not on ignore any more.  But anyway my point is, putting people on ignore, sometimes means you are ignoring the truth.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a99 II Sony 16mm F2.8 Fisheye +10 more
EvilOne

All I said is I dont care if Sony lives or dies because in the big picture of life, it is very small potatoes. I put people on ignore when Ive had my fill of the stuff I have no interest in. Even if their contributions at times can be very credible.. I just dont want to wade through all the crap and the sky is falling over a Camera manufacturer. there are lots of of good posts here.

You mentioned the truth... Is Sony going belly up? Do you know? So why perpetuate gloom and doom before it is announced.  they also said the world was coming to an end and there would we world wide panic when our computers went from 1999 to 2000. All the Techno geeks and their followers had us all believing the sky was falling and when News Years came in 2000, it would be the end of the internet  Nothing happened, yet the boo birds had us all believing the end was in site.

Here is the deal. no one on this forum knows what is up Sony's sleeve. So why assume the worst... its as silly as the pre Y2K panic.

when Sony announces the demise of the A mount, most intelligent people will realize they have to do something else at some point. so then at that point we will all just do what is best for us. Its no big deal.

Had Sony not picked up the A mount we all would have done something else. Every one was happy that Sony pick up the mount system but many still bitched and said yeah bit its Sony... some of those people are still here bitching about Sony. When KM gave up the A mount business.. " That was the time they should have made their move."

I guess some people will go to their grave bitching about all that is wrong with their life.. I know for me, IM going to the grave thankful for all that my life has been.

Bill aka EO

digititus Senior Member • Posts: 1,605

EvilOne wrote:

All I said is I dont care if Sony lives or dies because in the big picture of life, it is very small potatoes. I put people on ignore when Ive had my fill of the stuff I have no interest in. Even if their contributions at times can be very credible.. I just dont want to wade through all the crap and the sky is falling over a Camera manufacturer. there are lots of of good posts here.

You mentioned the truth... Is Sony going belly up? Do you know? So why perpetuate gloom and doom before it is announced. they also said the world was coming to an end and there would we world wide panic when our computers went from 1999 to 2000. All the Techno geeks and their followers had us all believing the sky was falling and when News Years came in 2000, it would be the end of the internet Nothing happened, yet the boo birds had us all believing the end was in site.

Here is the deal. no one on this forum knows what is up Sony's sleeve. So why assume the worst... its as silly as the pre Y2K panic.

when Sony announces the demise of the A mount, most intelligent people will realize they have to do something else at some point. so then at that point we will all just do what is best for us. Its no big deal.

Had Sony not picked up the A mount we all would have done something else. Every one was happy that Sony pick up the mount system but many still bitched and said yeah bit its Sony... some of those people are still here bitching about Sony. When KM gave up the A mount business.. " That was the time they should have made their move."

I guess some people will go to their grave bitching about all that is wrong with their life.. I know for me, IM going to the grave thankful for all that my life has been.

Bill aka EO

Isn't  bitching about people bitching, bitching?

WaltKnapp Forum Pro • Posts: 13,857
Re: Is A mount Sony's Titanic?

K E Hoffman wrote:

phaedin wrote:

EvilOne wrote:

. Personally , I don't expect to be around next year, so I don't have to worry about what Sony will do.

Respectfully

Bill aka EO

Damn Bill

Thats cr@ppy

Seriously, why are you wasting your time here, you should be taking photos and sharing them us, not wading through this B.S. that doesnt really matter

Sorry to hear that.. I hope you're wrong.. Just finishing a year after my Wife's cancer diagnosis 85-90% odds they got it all and we will just keep recovering.. hope something changes for you.. and yes go do something fun..

I'm also a cancer survivor, don't count yourself out.  A number of years checking if it's come back, so far all is good as far as the cancer, though I did pay a long term price in some of the effects of the surgery.

-- hide signature --

I'm Only Responsible For What I Say, Not For What You Understand.
-Walt-

Re: All DSLRs and DSLTs are doomed!

stan_pustylnik wrote:

Can you imagine anyone using DSR or DSLT in 25, 50 or 100 years, not me, especially while knowing how rapid technical revolution is going on.

Can you imagine anyone using E mount, RX Q or Mirrorless in 25, 50, or 100 years.  Even cell phone cameras may be gone by then.  We will all have implanted phones and cameras

25 years I might still be around, but not likely at 50 or 100 years.

-- hide signature --

-Walt-

Re: Do a history search for A mount threads. It's been covered ad nauseam. nt

cosmonaut wrote:

contax4ever wrote:

The tap dancing of Sony officials in the past few days though is especially troubling. They almost let it slip that all is being moved to e mount. Come on! They could've said something to give us A mount users hope. But nothing.

New A mount lenses coming on the market is a clear sign there is a future. The first thing that happened to Olympus was the 4/3rd lenses stopped being developed. Here is the new Tamron 150-600mm coming and I am sure Tamron and Zeiss have an inside source of the future of the A mount. Otherwise they wouldn't waste their time developing a new lens.

The 150-600 was developed for Canon & Nikon cameras.  A mount was just easy enough to tag along on development for those cameras.

-- hide signature --

-Walt-

Re: Is A mount Sony's Titanic?

brian14478 wrote:

And ten years from now one could still do the same and no one is going to say...Gee that was taken with an old camera wasn't it?

I could care less about what folks think about the age of my cameras.  But you are also neglecting that one uses a system of gear at the ILC camera level to take photos, not just a camera body.  To cover loss or wearing out of equipment you have to have multiple copies of your entire system as backup. Can be done, but at quite a cost.

For those who are lens invested or love the alpha amount bodies overall- in a worse case scenario pick up a couple back up bodies if used/new or new old stock starts flying off the shelves or ebay...

I've done that, have backups of more than just camera bodies, Have stated plenty that I like my current Sony A mount system, but that does not get accepted here as a valid mode.  Only cheering each new model and badmouthing anything older is accepted in this forum. Though it's really amusing how those same folks badmouthing the older equipment expect you to sell it to them cheaply.  Clearly it's not as useless as they claim.

I think there is a good possibility sony is waiting for the other manufacturers to release their new offerings. After feeling the market then sony will release amount bodies not only for existing owners but for those dissapointed with nikon/canon especially...not so much pentax/samsung or panasonic.

This would have to mean that Sony would be quickly rushing out changed bodies, lenses flashes or whatever  to " stay ahead ".  If you can quickly rush out some function then it means it was very little different, took no real research to do, and probably is known by every company. That's unlikely to change the world of photography or any of the other claims folks keep wanting to make about Sony only.  Such changes are as likely to already be in the hands of the advanced companies like Nikon or Canon.  Even the smaller companies are unlikely to be surprised. Sitting on it carries a great risk that your "wonderful thing" will turn up first and just as good or better in another brand and all you get to say is me too.

And does not fit with what was coming out of Sony about their A mount cameras how they were only going to release new cameras when they had something big to release and that was going to take some time.  Clearly they had some projects in mind but as they tried to develop them they discovered that it was not nearly as simple as they thought to do.  Maybe they will finally get it working, but with time passing it's not going to be near as exciting to the world and needs to be more advanced the longer they take. In some cases the world of camera manufacturers have not been standing still.  And I expect the frustration with A mount is as much that those big thing promises were made and where are they?  So it's not just coming out with another mildly changed A mount camera now that's needed.

-- hide signature --

-Walt-

Greg Beetham
Greg Beetham Veteran Member • Posts: 4,008

EvilOne wrote:

You mentioned the truth... Is Sony going belly up? Do you know? So why perpetuate gloom and doom before it is announced. they also said the world was coming to an end and there would we world wide panic when our computers went from 1999 to 2000. All the Techno geeks and their followers had us all believing the sky was falling and when News Years came in 2000, it would be the end of the internet Nothing happened, yet the boo birds had us all believing the end was in site.

when Sony announces the demise of the A mount, most intelligent people will realize they have to do something else at some point. so then at that point we will all just do what is best for us. Its no big deal.

Bill aka EO

Bill I think the ‘boo birds’ probably did have some influence over the Y2K problem simply by raising concerns to a sufficient level for the internet network system (and lots of other systems probably) to be checked and updated beforehand to a degree that it was no longer the problem it could have been. Admittedly there were some who picked up the ball and ran with it spreading extra doom and gloom on top, nothing like spreading a good panic to brighten up the day.

As far as the A-mount goes, if Sony gets tired of it there is always KM, they would probably step in and take it back if Sony doesn’t want to play anymore. They still have the optical plant that has been making Sony branded A-mount lenses for Sony all along (only some of them) so taking over the body plant again shouldn’t be a huge obstacle.

Greg

Blair777 Junior Member • Posts: 44
Re: Interesting conversation with salesperson

I was in my local photo store yesterday (ordering my first Nikon) and the salesperson told me that Sony was selling well in their store and that of late their numbers had shown a significant increase.  This store is part of a Canada-wide chain of stores.

I told him I was leaving Sony because I was not sure where they were headed and I did not life EVF.  His response was that they were seeing increasing popularity in the Sony A-mount cameras.   Just thought I would add another view to the thread.

Blair777's gear list:Blair777's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Nikon Df Sony a6000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
K E Hoffman
K E Hoffman Veteran Member • Posts: 5,103

Blair777 wrote:

I was in my local photo store yesterday (ordering my first Nikon) and the salesperson told me that Sony was selling well in their store and that of late their numbers had shown a significant increase. This store is part of a Canada-wide chain of stores.

I told him I was leaving Sony because I was not sure where they were headed and I did not life EVF. His response was that they were seeing increasing popularity in the Sony A-mount cameras. Just thought I would add another view to the thread.

Same question I ask every A700 owner "who doesn't like the EVF"  how much time have you spent with A77 and A99?

Felt same way.. two years resisted EVF.. after many times to dealer.. finally gave in because was not happy with stills from other video devices and carrying two to my kids school was useless.

Turns out I adapted and now prefer it after a few days with it.  No dealer experience can give you that..

Hate to see you go.. especially when Sony is turning out sensors that have Pros Drooling..  A7R doing better than 5DMKIII on Fred Miranda..

German Pro ranking A7r before a Medium format Hasselblad ..on a Youtube going around and expect that sensor to hit a-mount by Fall this year.

Nikon makes good cameras so don't expect any regret right away.. but I think you are leaving a good system.. and once you take the hit on moving and Nikon does EVF in 3-5 years.. What then?

Minolta was the first SLR with both aperture and Shutter auto.. Canon followed in about 2-3 years and Nikon in 7 years.   Minolta as first with AF (a gadget real photographers didn't like)  How long before Canon and Nikon Followed?

Just saying .. you may be going from EVF and IBIS  to EVF soon and no IBIS

But thanks for the info.. that's good to hear!!! 

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a6500 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +3 more
Blair777 Junior Member • Posts: 44

K E Hoffman wrote:

Same question I ask every A700 owner "who doesn't like the EVF" how much time have you spent with A77 and A99?

I understand your views. I did not want to turn this into a debate over OVF/EVF. My two most important subjects are motor racing and water skiing/wakeboarding. After 40 plus years of watching it through an optical viewfinder I want to continue to do it that way. It is simply my personal preference. I do not shoot video and have no plans to.

I understand the advantages to EVF especially for photographers who should both video and stills but I am not that photographer.

Blair777's gear list:Blair777's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Nikon Df Sony a6000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
K E Hoffman
K E Hoffman Veteran Member • Posts: 5,103

Blair777 wrote:

K E Hoffman wrote:

Same question I ask every A700 owner "who doesn't like the EVF" how much time have you spent with A77 and A99?

I understand your views. I did not want to turn this into a debate over OVF/EVF. My two most important subjects are motor racing and water skiing/wakeboarding. After 40 plus years of watching it through an optical viewfinder I want to continue to do it that way. It is simply my personal preference. I do not shoot video and have no plans to.

I understand the advantages to EVF especially for photographers who should both video and stills but I am not that photographer.

enjoy the new system

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a6500 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads