Is A mount Sony's Titanic?

Started Jan 28, 2014 | Discussions
LowRyter Contributing Member • Posts: 813
Hasselblad

I'd think there's still some life in the A mount since Hasselblad has coming on board with the high end FF cameras.

LowRyter's gear list:LowRyter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +2 more
K E Hoffman
K E Hoffman Veteran Member • Posts: 5,103
Re: Maximum Density...

tqlla wrote:

K E Hoffman wrote:

tqlla wrote:

Long winded insults and personal attacks do not bolster your argument. It does the opposite. It shows that you are insecure in what you are saying. You could have trimmed your post down to this and had the same amount of info.

Possibly but what would you call it..

1. 3 of those lenses were rebuilds of old lenses. The lenses also support Emount via adapter. The lenses are priced ridiculously higher than Canon and Nikon.

Do you want to cram any more general complaints into this?

CAN work with an adapter? >> That cost hundreds of $$$

Yes we know Sony lenses cost more..

If Sony didn't update lenses.. you would like that instead..

Just three complaints that have no bearing on support for the a-mount system just things you don't like

1. No one here says that Sony isnt supporting "Advanced Cameras" anymore. Those of us who are concerned are worried about the Amount. You are concluding that the Emounts are "Not advanced enough for Pros". Unfortunately, I dont think Sony feels the same.

Yes because you are the only person who knows what pros want. OF course Pros want DSLR/SLT level cameras. They are more likely to use the features.. Sure some will add other bodies etc. Some Pros use multiple brands.. But YOU are the only one the knows that someone booking events etc is not in general going to be able to get it done with smaller cameras.. just because the clients get fussying let alone feature isues

1. Why was Sony at the PPA? Most likely to showcase the A7/A7r and throw some dirt on the A99. Was this 2 page ad in the PPA booklet, not enough to convince you? PPA P38-39

OMG what a wet blanket.. They did two seminars with top in their field photographers.. Studio Lighting and Wedding Workflows.. Dump dirt on the A99.. you mean the camera their own site calls the Alpha FLAGSHIP? Now you are just making stuff up. Yes they are promoting the new camera.. and keep in mind.. one of the pitches is Put you Canon lenses on A Sony.. Which may just sell bodies it can also be a bridge to Canon users who never looked at Sony to start to pay attention.

1. When did I say anything about their loaner process?

Geeze you are obtuse.. Of course you ignored it.. because expensive top level support for a Camera system is not an indicator of "dumping Dirt on it" Its just one more thing documented on this site you INGORE in your morose attitude.

1. Sony is committed to the Amount system.... via adapter.

An adapter is not an a-mount System.. You really get glee and joy of twisting every positive thing Sony is doing.. to fit your manufactured story..You want to be mad and upset and cranky... why do you like to be this way...

Put your money where your morose mouth is.. Sell your gear and change systems before the used prices drop when all you project happens.. If you really believed all this stuff.. you would be a fool to keep your gear and watch the value drop..

Are you a fool or just like stirring the pot? If you believe its over for A-mount sell your gear and post the links to the ads here.. otherwise.. stop spreading stuff you don't believe.

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a6500 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Alan_S
Alan_S Senior Member • Posts: 1,835
Re: Hasselblad

LowRyter wrote:

I'd think there's still some life in the A mount since Hasselblad has coming on board with the high end FF cameras.

Exactly... I am not looking to upgrade bodies for quite some time, very comfortable with my current system, but thinking "outside of the box," you bring up an excellent point. Heck, worst case scenario (if the sky really does fall as the gloom/doomers predict), is it really that painful to use an adapter with a mirrorless E-mount (especially a future model, as current introductory models will certainly be improved upon), or even a move to Hasselblad for a future FF step up, and keep using all that great Minolta & Sony G/CZ A-mount glass that many of us have invested in over the years?

The future can be full of opportunity ... depends if one's glass is half full, or half empty.

-- hide signature --

- AlanS

Alan_S's gear list:Alan_S's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II +2 more
K E Hoffman
Re: Long term life support, at best

digitalshooter wrote:

Waiting to be taken off! Sony cannot sustain the a mount forever. The crossover from other brands, has not happened. Sony is reaching for anything They can, but ultimately the ship will sink.

Folks are not buying their changes,

Sales figures or are you just making stuff up...   I have already shared Sony's success in India.with links. and money is money even if it doesn't come from cranky people in the NA and Europe

instead if Sony would listen and make changes based on what users want, they would do better!

Your market research?  what users want..?   Did you see the "are you happy with your Sony thread? 90% positive answers.. So what do the want.. or are you assuming You and Walt are the ultimate scientific sample.

Bottom line, Sony knows the a mount is not what or will launch them to number 1 or 2! Sorry ain't gona happen!

They have been Number #2 in over all camera sales.. over and over.. Its a product line.. and you don't get to #2 selling what only grumpy .... people who resist innovation?

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter
PS: all posts are just my opinion!

CONCERNED NEW PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW...

These people have been saying the same thing since 2006... And year after year they are wrong..

--

Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a6500 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
K E Hoffman
Re: Hasselblad

Alan_S wrote:

The future can be full of opportunity ... depends if one's glass is half full, or half empty.

but we have people on this board whose attitude is..

"OK the glass is full.. but I am sure its going to tip over any day now. Just watch that glass will tip over and be empty.. so we should all be sad about that happening.. "

-- hide signature --

JamieTux Veteran Member • Posts: 4,079
Enjoy it

contax4ever wrote:

I'm wondering if I spent my money foolishly the past several months on A mount glass: ZA 50mm and the updated versions of the 70-200 and 70-400. I'm sensing more doom and gloom about the future of this mount the past couple of days than I have seen in a long time even though this worry has surfaced on and off in various discussions within the Sony user community for a couple of years now.

-I don't want to use these lenses with an adapter on a Sony e mount body.
-I don't want to sell this equipment to make the jump to Nikon or Canon; I'm not a pro. I use the Sony lenses and bodies because I love the products.
-I don't care if the future A mount bodies have the translucent mirror or not.
-I want to be able to use these lenses NATIVE for many years to come. I'm not big into buying used equipment either though I like keeping what I purchase new for a very long time. Still, I would hope to see multiple, successive generations of the a99 and a77 (though I'm fine if A mount sustains as full frame only).

SO IS CONTAX HISTORY REPEATING ITSELF? I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT TWICE IN MY LIFE I CHOSE A SYSTEM THAT DIED.

It was more the rangefinder and medium format systems that died (I don't know which contax you had).  But that's likely to happen with a greater speed these days - I think you'll end up with a lot more than 2 dead systems if you stay alive long enough!!
What about Canon and Minolta manual focus mounts in the 80s, sheet film in the last few years, or how about standard definition (or even CRT) monitors, TVs, etc - in computing IBM became a different company, commodore, sinclair/spectrum, Acorn/BBC, Apricot - even Atari and Sega.
So - stop worrying about buying things for tomorrow and enjoy what you have now - you said that you bought the kit because you like it - so enjoy it while you have it.

You have a pretty complete kit there, look at it a different way - ask what you would like to improve and what you'd be prepared to give up to get it - you'll realise that you've spent the money wisely and be happy as Nikon and Canon don't have a competitor to the 70-400.

JamieTux's gear list:JamieTux's gear list
Nikon 1 J5 Fujifilm X-E3 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Zeiss Touit 50mm F2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 PD-Zoom +6 more
tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 4,893
Re: Maximum Density...

K E Hoffman wrote:

tqlla wrote:

K E Hoffman wrote:

tqlla wrote:

Long winded insults and personal attacks do not bolster your argument. It does the opposite. It shows that you are insecure in what you are saying. You could have trimmed your post down to this and had the same amount of info.

Possibly but what would you call it..

1. 3 of those lenses were rebuilds of old lenses. The lenses also support Emount via adapter. The lenses are priced ridiculously higher than Canon and Nikon.

Do you want to cram any more general complaints into this?

CAN work with an adapter? >> That cost hundreds of $$$

Yes we know Sony lenses cost more..

If Sony didn't update lenses.. you would like that instead..

Just three complaints that have no bearing on support for the a-mount system just things you don't like

1. No one here says that Sony isnt supporting "Advanced Cameras" anymore. Those of us who are concerned are worried about the Amount. You are concluding that the Emounts are "Not advanced enough for Pros". Unfortunately, I dont think Sony feels the same.

Yes because you are the only person who knows what pros want. OF course Pros want DSLR/SLT level cameras. They are more likely to use the features.. Sure some will add other bodies etc. Some Pros use multiple brands.. But YOU are the only one the knows that someone booking events etc is not in general going to be able to get it done with smaller cameras.. just because the clients get fussying let alone feature isues

1. Why was Sony at the PPA? Most likely to showcase the A7/A7r and throw some dirt on the A99. Was this 2 page ad in the PPA booklet, not enough to convince you? PPA P38-39

OMG what a wet blanket.. They did two seminars with top in their field photographers.. Studio Lighting and Wedding Workflows.. Dump dirt on the A99.. you mean the camera their own site calls the Alpha FLAGSHIP? Now you are just making stuff up. Yes they are promoting the new camera.. and keep in mind.. one of the pitches is Put you Canon lenses on A Sony.. Which may just sell bodies it can also be a bridge to Canon users who never looked at Sony to start to pay attention.

1. When did I say anything about their loaner process?

Geeze you are obtuse.. Of course you ignored it.. because expensive top level support for a Camera system is not an indicator of "dumping Dirt on it" Its just one more thing documented on this site you INGORE in your morose attitude.

1. Sony is committed to the Amount system.... via adapter.

An adapter is not an a-mount System.. You really get glee and joy of twisting every positive thing Sony is doing.. to fit your manufactured story..You want to be mad and upset and cranky... why do you like to be this way...

Put your money where your morose mouth is.. Sell your gear and change systems before the used prices drop when all you project happens.. If you really believed all this stuff.. you would be a fool to keep your gear and watch the value drop..

Are you a fool or just like stirring the pot? If you believe its over for A-mount sell your gear and post the links to the ads here.. otherwise.. stop spreading stuff you don't believe.

There really is much else to say that hasnt been said, but I just wanted to drive these points home.

1) As you stated in another thread, 'the PPA is for pro's. The A7/A7R are not Pro Equiptment'. SO obviously Sony is there to support the Amount!

I stated, that Sony is there, probably for the A7/A7r. They might have also brought the A99 to kick around. IE "Look at how awesome this A7 is, its just like the A99.... but, it supports more lenses, is smaller and costs $1000 less."

Look at their ad, it tells you Sonys Primary focus at the PPA(A7/A7R)

2) Your definition of 'Amount system' may not be Sony's definition.  Their definition could easily be Emount camera+Amount Adapter+Amount lenses.

I have put my money where my pocket is.  IE, I am not investing any more.  It will be a few years before I get to the point where I "have to have" the latest tech.   As much as I hate it, that may be an Emount with adapter.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a99 II Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +10 more
Wolfgang Fieger Regular Member • Posts: 151
Re: Is A mount Sony's Titanic?

I more than understand how you feel about the system. This fall I really wanted to upgrade from my old A700 and found no other possibility than going for the A99. Much too expensive, but the only choice if it shall be an upgrade without backdraws. So I'm fine for the next few years, I will keep using my Minolta, Tamron and Sigma lens collection. I never owned any Sony lens and probably never will

After that years let's see what path this A-mount might go. Who knows, maybe it makes its way with another brand again...

-- hide signature --

see you,
Wolfgang

WaltKnapp Forum Pro • Posts: 13,857
Re: No Walt, the topic is A mount...

Alan_S wrote:

WaltKnapp wrote:

EvilOne wrote:

There was only One Titanic... there are hundreds of thousands of A mount users and gear out there. I dont think they are about to bail on all those that represent brand loyalty.

They bailed on a700 and a900. It would be more a case of another repeat rather than a first time. Brand loyalty buys you nothing with Sony.

...sorry Walt, but the topic of this thread is A-mount, not your well-documented preference OVF/flipping mirror. The OP actually stated"I don't care if the future A mount bodies have the translucent mirror or not."

The topic is what is happening to A mount, that includes it's history.  Because the history contains where Sony is going.   The Alpha 700 and Alpha 900 were both excellent A mount cameras that are still excellent cameras and were also ALPHAs.   Even if you wish to belittle the most used advanced camera design, the DSLR with it's OVF is what most pros use most of the time, not cameras that are evolving to imitate cell phone cameras.

Had you paid attention to how Sony did with the Alpha 700 in particular you would find Weir saying virtually the same thing he is about A mount that he said about the Alpha 700 back then along with other sony management.  If anything back then they proved that any reassurances from them are worthless.  So when we hear the same behaviour from them why are folks believing them now?

(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 651
Does your camera work?

if yes please use it and be done with it. Your contax went on working after contax's death so what?

Wolfgang Fieger wrote:

I more than understand how you feel about the system. This fall I really wanted to upgrade from my old A700 and found no other possibility than going for the A99. Much too expensive, but the only choice if it shall be an upgrade without backdraws. So I'm fine for the next few years, I will keep using my Minolta, Tamron and Sigma lens collection. I never owned any Sony lens and probably never will

The A99 is also a FF camera, not the best way to go for my wildlife tele lenses.  In some ways Sony behavior going to FF is probably as much a problem as what they appear to be doing with A mount.

Yep, I do have a excellent system based on the Alpha 700, a mixture of top Sony, Minolta, Canon, Olympus, Zeiss and other brands of lenses to go with it. And the excellent Minolta flash system for macro work as well as the Minolta hot shoe Sony flashes. As long as they don't fail I can ignore Sony's lack of support of the Alpha A mount equipment involved.   Once enough fails I can look for a trustworthy brand that supports it's users for a replacement system, if I can afford it.

After that years let's see what path this A-mount might go. Who knows, maybe it makes its way with another brand again...

Been thinking about who might buy A-mount from Sony, they are showing less interest in it than Minolta did in the end.  There are a number of photography equipment companies who could do a lot with it.

Wolfgang Fieger Regular Member • Posts: 151

WaltKnapp wrote:

Wolfgang Fieger wrote:

Been thinking about who might buy A-mount from Sony, they are showing less interest in it than Minolta did in the end. There are a number of photography equipment companies who could do a lot with it.

Think so as well. A great legacy heritage like Minolta never should die. A dream team is Kodak resurrecting and taking over the A-mount. Just phantasizing...

-- hide signature --

see you,
Wolfgang

Re: Does your camera work?

j900 wrote:

if yes please use it and be done with it. Your contax went on working after contax's death so what?

Those contax's were much more durable and long lived than modern digital cameras. You did notice that the contax shot film, and most types of film are gone.  Without film they are worthless and can not work no matter how durable.

Being blind to the limited lifetime of modern digital cameras can end up costing you lots of extra money when Sony jumps from system to system with little compatibility between and you supported the abandoned system too long because the new system could not do what the older one can. Even if one continues to use our system we do have to plan the future. Including deciding if Sony has any future with us. Unless we are going to behave like children who think money is limitless. For the majority of adults money is quite limited and getting more limited every day.

digitalshooter
digitalshooter Forum Pro • Posts: 19,604
Sorry you disagree ken, your allegiance to Sony is admirable(nt)
-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter
PS: all posts are just my opinion!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II

Sam_Oslo wrote:

contax4ever wrote:

That's a valid question and needs a serious discussion.

Current reports and rumors about Sony's fanatical difficulties are indicating possibilities for the collapse of whole Sony, or a portion of Sony business. But on the other hand, the whole western economy seams to be on the verge of a total collapse. The whole US, EU and Japan have been balancing on the edge of a big-bankruptcy in several years now.

The real problem is much bigger than Sony, Canon, Nikon and even the whole Japan. Because Big-bankers have already moved all their investments (and industry) to China.

The key is moving the jobs to China.  With no income people cannot buy what's imported from China.  Even China won't escape as they depend on us buying.

Amazing how many are still blind to just how much economic trouble Sony is in. There is even the potential in what Sony was saying in the show that they could shrink their photography back to video and sensor sales. What they were talking about was not still photography. Not just A mount at risk.

Joe M.
Joe M. Contributing Member • Posts: 504
No, its their Pro Series Mount

No I think Sony is Positioning the A-mount into the ProSumer / Professional Arena. They will not abandon the A-mount to much glass out there Old and New.  I think the A-mount is going to be above the Emount and that the Emount is going to be the new affordable first DSLR Style camera for P/S photographers. Like the New A3000.  I am sure that Sony will have a Great and Very Pro Series NEX7 replacement but I really want to see what they replace the A77 with and the A99 with.

Give them time and they will announce something soon.

Thanks

Joe

Joe M.'s gear list:Joe M.'s gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S85 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX20 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX300 +10 more

Wolfgang Fieger wrote:

WaltKnapp wrote:

Wolfgang Fieger wrote:

Been thinking about who might buy A-mount from Sony, they are showing less interest in it than Minolta did in the end. There are a number of photography equipment companies who could do a lot with it.

Think so as well. A great legacy heritage like Minolta never should die. A dream team is Kodak resurrecting and taking over the A-mount. Just phantasizing...

Yes, more than likely we are seeing the last of the Minolta heritage.  It was clear from the beginning that Sony taking over was not a plus.  They never have been able to separate from their Cyber-shot thinking. More and more limiting photography while Minolta's legacy was expanding photography.

Re: No, its their Pro Series Mount

Joe M. wrote:

No I think Sony is Positioning the A-mount into the ProSumer / Professional Arena. They will not abandon the A-mount to much glass out there Old and New. I think the A-mount is going to be above the Emount and that the Emount is going to be the new affordable first DSLR Style camera for P/S photographers. Like the New A3000. I am sure that Sony will have a Great and Very Pro Series NEX7 replacement but I really want to see what they replace the A77 with and the A99 with.

Give them time and they will announce something soon.

How many years is in giving them time?  We have been giving them time,  now it looks more like prodding is needed big time.

Looks more like they are trying to transform E mount into their Pro line.  Hoping folks won't notice the inherent limitations in the E mount design.

K E Hoffman
Re: Does your camera work?

WaltKnapp wrote:

j900 wrote:

Those contax's were much more durable and long lived than modern digital cameras. You did notice that the contax shot film, and most types of film are gone. Without film they are worthless and can not work no matter how durable.

Last time I checked Photons are not being phased out, format changed, horded, discontinued etc etc.  The nice thing about digital.. you can keep shooting what you have.. no film to take away..

Being blind to the limited lifetime of modern digital cameras can end up costing you lots of extra money when Sony jumps from system to system with little compatibility between and you supported the abandoned system too long because the new system could not do what the older one can. Even if one continues to use our system we do have to plan the future. Including deciding if Sony has any future with us. Unless we are going to behave like children who think money is limitless. For the majority of adults money is quite limited and getting more limited every day.

The lifetime of the modern Digital camera is most likely better than film for the very reason you stated.  The main aging item is the shutter same as it was for film and in then next few years. they may not need a mechanical shutter.  that will extend the life of the cameras even further..

however.. Sony has not Jumped from System to System... They added a system that has sold well for them.. and grabbed a new segment during its peak growth period.  After 4 years e-mount has just in 2013 reached the same number of lenses Sony was able to relaunch A-mount with 8 years ago.   While building that system.. They made an major innovative shift (I know you don't like) Brought out NEW a-mount cameras in the consumer, enthusiast, and pro-level market segments..

And as of right now are not late on update of any of them...   though I don't given even Canon's rush to make a tiny Rebel there is a good reason to do an A37 level  A-mount again.  It would make sense to do an A57/65 level and then concentrate on the segments that do buy higher margin camera and lenses..  But that is no jumping from.. that is adding to and adapting.

Sony never said it was going to add more niche devices like Macro flashes and some of the things you use.. And I realize you don't like the EVF.. I didn't until I spend some real time over 2 days with it.  Main reason I didn't grab an A77 sooner.. except for price.. wish I had.. its just too much fun to work with.. especially shooting children.. and how I shoot Macro so far, which is something I dabble in compared to the work you do..

-- hide signature --

K E Hoffman
Re: No Walt, the topic is A mount...

WaltKnapp wrote:

Alan_S wrote:

WaltKnapp wrote:

EvilOne wrote:

There was only One Titanic... there are hundreds of thousands of A mount users and gear out there. I dont think they are about to bail on all those that represent brand loyalty.

They bailed on a700 and a900. It would be more a case of another repeat rather than a first time. Brand loyalty buys you nothing with Sony.

...sorry Walt, but the topic of this thread is A-mount, not your well-documented preference OVF/flipping mirror. The OP actually stated"I don't care if the future A mount bodies have the translucent mirror or not."

The topic is what is happening to A mount, that includes it's history. Because the history contains where Sony is going. The Alpha 700 and Alpha 900 were both excellent A mount cameras that are still excellent cameras and were also ALPHAs. Even if you wish to belittle the most used advanced camera design, the DSLR with it's OVF is what most pros use most of the time, not cameras that are evolving to imitate cell phone cameras.

Had you paid attention to how Sony did with the Alpha 700 in particular you would find Weir saying virtually the same thing he is about A mount that he said about the Alpha 700 back then along with other sony management. If anything back then they proved that any reassurances from them are worthless. So when we hear the same behaviour from them why are folks believing them now?

Because Walt they were telling the truth.. Sony continued to release new lenses, update old Minolta designs. Create new Flash technology and even through a near depression, were are not out of yet, kept with A-mount..

So the honest assessment .. is there is a pattern of support for the A-mount.. from past history when they said there were more camera coming they were right..

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads