Live musician shots

Started Jan 27, 2014 | Discussions
mick787 Regular Member • Posts: 314
Live musician shots

I have thought whether to post these or not. I am happy with them, it wouldn’t do any harm to be put back in my place as someone who is learning. Please bear in mind when expressing your opinion, these subjects aren’t static and the lighting was constantly changing.

The Hoax. I focussed on Jesse Davey in the rear of shot and included other stage action towards the foreground . I have another shot which I did in reverse.

Greta Valenti playing at The Robin2,

Well Hung Heart. Robin Davey and Greta Valenti

EvilOne
EvilOne Forum Pro • Posts: 14,485
Re: Live musician shots

The post says, you are happy with them...so with that, I won't comment further. Stage lighting can be difficult. Keep shooting, and trying to find some improvement daily.

IM happy you are enjoying photography.

Bill aka EO

EvilOne's gear list:EvilOne's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Nikon Coolpix 990 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 +5 more
OP mick787 Regular Member • Posts: 314

Go on, give me your critique, you know you want to! (Laugh.) You won’t offend me because I like them! The shots have not been adjusted in any way.

EvilOne
EvilOne Forum Pro • Posts: 14,485

Ill pass. You like them.. so what would be the point?

There is a fine line between positive and negative comments , and you drew the line by saying you liked them .

It's not about what I like, its about what you like.. and BTW who am I to disagree with you? I've already said I'm far from an expert. The one thing I wont give you is unwarranted sugar coating.

If I say I like something or I think its good... that's my honest opinion, but then again because I like something doesn't make it a master piece.

Keep shooting.

Bill

EvilOne's gear list:EvilOne's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Nikon Coolpix 990 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 +5 more
thebustos Veteran Member • Posts: 3,312

Since you seemed to want some opinions, I'll take a stab at it. You can take it with a grain of salt though. Just my ideas.

mick787 wrote:

I have thought whether to post these or not. I am happy with them, it wouldn’t do any harm to be put back in my place as someone who is learning. Please bear in mind when expressing your opinion, these subjects aren’t static and the lighting was constantly changing.

I can see that you focused on the guy at the rear, but my opinion is that there is too little of him in the shot for it to really look that way. Instead it just looks like focus was off. That was my thought at first glance, but I saw it once I looked again. I might have shifted over to left a bit and then tried to get more of the guy on the right in the shot. For me it just doesn't feel right with his head cut off and the main subject of focus smaller than the rest.

The Hoax. I focussed on Jesse Davey in the rear of shot and included other stage action towards the foreground . I have another shot which I did in reverse.

I like this one mostly the way it is. Though it's a low shutter speed, her face seems to be sharp. However I can see the mic is a little out of focus, which I'm guessing is from the shallow depth of field rather than motion blur. I might have stopped down just a little and boosted the ISO to keep the shutter about the same.

Greta Valenti playing at The Robin2,

Well Hung Heart. Robin Davey and Greta Valenti

I liked this shot too. My only comment would be to maybe have a bit more space above their heads, but otherwise I like it just fine.

Like I said, just my opinion.

-- hide signature --

Good luck and happy shooting!

thebustos's gear list:thebustos's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +17 more

Thanks

littlemt Regular Member • Posts: 103

I don't care for any of these shots, but keep shooting, it is fun to shoot musicians...

nandbytes Senior Member • Posts: 5,972

I am not really sure what you are trying to picture in your first shot. Seems a bit out of focus. I know what you were after from your description but without it I wouldn't know.

Second shot f1.8 is shallow. But I still like it and I would understand due to lighting conditions etc.

Really like the 3rd shot Though I'd tried to place it more in the middle.

I could also pixel peel and tell you which pixels are bad but I am guessing you aren't looking for that (yes I pixel peep most pictures lol)

Hope that helps if at all.

nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Sony Alpha a7R III Canon EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +3 more

This has been an interesting exercise for me. Thanks to those who have made comment. I have only recently started to try and get some qualifications in photography, my instructors on the courses I have attended have all expressed what guidelines should be followed, I was fortunate to meet a very famous photographer at one gig I went to where he was playing on stage. I didn’t have a clue who he was, after the gig we ended up chatting, he came to me. Only later on, after we had left the venue, did I find out about just how famous he was and who he had taken images of on film.

Isn’t it funny how people have different opinions on what is a good picture and what should be included and avoided! It goes without saying I have taken the advice of the famous photographer and what my tutors have said. I also want to put my ‘angle' on some shots.

If we all liked and did the same what a world we would live in! Yep I will keep on shooting, I love it. Plus I’ll keep on reading critiques, it’s nice to read other people’s views on images.

Sometimes angles are determined by the stage height, the placement of mics or other musicians, it is always different........ Here are a few shots I have done...

In your shots I think your shutter speed is a tad to low, IMO one must use a speed of 1/125 or faster to freeze the musician and get a sharp image, as they are moving in lowlight too slow of a shutter speed often results in a image with too much motion blur. With that said some might want motion blur, but surely not on every shot.

Rule of thumb, use as fast as a shutter speed as you can get away with depending on the lighting..

I use to shot a lot at 1/60 and found my keeper rate at a very low percentage, it has gone up shooting at 1/100 or faster.....

MrChristopher
MrChristopher Senior Member • Posts: 1,296

The post says, you are happy with them...so with that, I won't comment further. Stage lighting can be difficult. Keep shooting, and trying to find some improvement daily.

IM happy you are enjoying photography.

Bill aka EO

Passive aggressive much? Lol
--
http://chriscurnutt.tumblr.com/

MrChristopher's gear list:MrChristopher's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
MrChristopher
MrChristopher Senior Member • Posts: 1,296

Good god the critiques in these forums are utterly useless. Holy crap it never ceases to amaze me.

Carry on and someone please chime in with the tried and true " I would have brought out more detail in the shadows" nonsense soon?

OP, sorry to distract your thread. I do a lot of theater and performance photos myself and I realize you don't get to pose people or change the lighting. You get what you can.

These are all nice shots and sharpness worship is truly the idol of novices. You did a nice job. Period.
--
http://chriscurnutt.tumblr.com/

MrChristopher's gear list:MrChristopher's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more

I totally agree, high shutter speeds would be nice, but a rule of the venue is that flash cannot be used, so that means high ISO which brings noise in he equation. I prefer clarity. So when there is no control over the lighting and the audience is such that you can’t move around without causing disturbance/annoyance I do what I can with the equipment I’ve got. I always use the camera in manual mode.

I’d love to be able to get higher angles, but sadly I have not managed to get the club tie to allow being back stage. All of my shots have to come from within the fee paying audience and there is no seating at the venue.

Nice reply, though I do wonder if some of the responses have been posted to prompt a reaction!

At the end of the day, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

mick787 wrote:

I totally agree, high shutter speeds would be nice, but a rule of the venue is that flash cannot be used, so that means high ISO which brings noise in he equation. I prefer clarity. So when there is no control over the lighting and the audience is such that you can’t move around without causing disturbance/annoyance I do what I can with the equipment I’ve got. I always use the camera in manual mode.

I’d love to be able to get higher angles, but sadly I have not managed to get the club tie to allow being back stage. All of my shots have to come from within the fee paying audience and there is no seating at the venue.

I never use flash, and I always shoot in manual as well. Different styles, I prefer clarity and sharpness, and don't want my subjects to have motion blur, given the choice between blur

and noise, i'll settle for some noise if that is the case. I can work with sharp in focus files with noise, files with excess motion blur become deleters for me.

thebustos Veteran Member • Posts: 3,312

Instead of shooting manual try Aperture priority and exposure comp if you haven't. That usually works pretty well for me in those situations.

Have you tried using different metering modes?

Also I get not wanting to use high ISO, but you should be able to push the A99 a little higher than 800 and still do well.

Over all i don't think shutter speed was an issue in these shots though.
--
Good luck and happy shooting!

thebustos's gear list:thebustos's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads