Can you see color? How well? Test!

Started Jan 27, 2014 | Discussions
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,324
Can you see color? How well? Test!

I was reading a case study of someone being able to see UV after a cataract surgery, and the page I was reading linked to this online color discerning test . I got the following results:

I'm not surprised that I can discern shades of violet, purple and red perfectly, but have trouble with greens. Green has always been the least vivid color for me, violets and blues and reds being brighter and more vivid than greens. What I found interesting was that my result is very similar to the person who could see UV after his cataract surgery. He writes: "I tested my color perception with an online FM100 Hue test and scored an 8 (seems pretty good) with the few errors in the green-blue area."

So, I'm not good with greens! How's your color vision?

EthanP99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,436
Re: Can you see color? How well? Test!

did this years ago for a job...

I got 0

of course our monitors are the highest grade possible so it was pretty easy

 EthanP99's gear list:EthanP99's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX1R Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 +21 more
Morris Sullivan Veteran Member • Posts: 9,643
Re: Can you see color? How well? Test!

EthanP99 wrote:

did this years ago for a job...

I got 0

of course our monitors are the highest grade possible so it was pretty easy

I got a 7, I'll blame my $125 monitor at work.

With some time I might have gotten better. I quickly noticed that I needed to look away for a few seconds and look back to see some of the closer colors. If I looked to long they started blending.

Lumixdude Senior Member • Posts: 2,782
Re: Can you see color? How well? Test!

these colurs are so muddy my eyes are playing tricks on me. I had to look away a couple times, I still got 10 wrong.

 Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
crashpc Veteran Member • Posts: 6,041
Re: Can you see color? How well? Test!

My score is 6 on very poor monitor

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

 crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS M10 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM +1 more
Walt_A Senior Member • Posts: 1,856
Re: Can you see color? How well? Test!

Love the test as I got my first ever perfect score at anything ....! 0 perfect colo(u)r acuity....

Zoofy
Zoofy Senior Member • Posts: 1,507
Re: Can you see color? How well? Test!

canonagain123 wrote:

I was reading a case study of someone being able to see UV after a cataract surgery, and the page I was reading linked to this online color discerning test . I got the following results:

I'm not surprised that I can discern shades of violet, purple and red perfectly, but have trouble with greens. Green has always been the least vivid color for me, violets and blues and reds being brighter and more vivid than greens. What I found interesting was that my result is very similar to the person who could see UV after his cataract surgery. He writes: "I tested my color perception with an online FM100 Hue test and scored an 8 (seems pretty good) with the few errors in the green-blue area."

So, I'm not good with greens! How's your color vision?

I gave it a go but just couldn't be bothered with all the clicking of the laptop pad-buttons.. I have a very noisy clicky button set there.

Even my wife looked over at me with a "what the hell are you doing" look on her face!  

Nigel Wilkins
Nigel Wilkins Senior Member • Posts: 1,006
Re: Can you see color? How well? Test!

I got 14 on a macbook pro monitor which appears quite good for my age.  I expect it would be better on a decent monitor.

-- hide signature --

nigelwilkinsphotography.com
.
Everything to do with the art of photography is a guideline. The only rules are generally enforced by the police.

 Nigel Wilkins's gear list:Nigel Wilkins's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
OP (unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,324
haha

Zoofy wrote:

canonagain123 wrote:

I was reading a case study of someone being able to see UV after a cataract surgery, and the page I was reading linked to this online color discerning test . I got the following results:

I'm not surprised that I can discern shades of violet, purple and red perfectly, but have trouble with greens. Green has always been the least vivid color for me, violets and blues and reds being brighter and more vivid than greens. What I found interesting was that my result is very similar to the person who could see UV after his cataract surgery. He writes: "I tested my color perception with an online FM100 Hue test and scored an 8 (seems pretty good) with the few errors in the green-blue area."

So, I'm not good with greens! How's your color vision?

I gave it a go but just couldn't be bothered with all the clicking of the laptop pad-buttons.. I have a very noisy clicky button set there.

Even my wife looked over at me with a "what the hell are you doing" look on her face!

well, it is a little more laborious test that's alright.

OP (unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,324
I could blame the monitor

Morris Sullivan wrote:

EthanP99 wrote:

did this years ago for a job...

I got 0

of course our monitors are the highest grade possible so it was pretty easy

I got a 7, I'll blame my $125 monitor at work.

With some time I might have gotten better. I quickly noticed that I needed to look away for a few seconds and look back to see some of the closer colors. If I looked to long they started blending.

but it is calibrated... I rather just admit I discern every color well except some greens/blue-greens Seeing as I probably discern purples, blues and reds better than some people, I'm fine with that, it all evens out. And I suppose it gives my photography a personal touch as well

OP (unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,324
Re: Can you see color? How well? Test!

Walt_A wrote:

Love the test as I got my first ever perfect score at anything ....! 0 perfect colo(u)r acuity....

Congrats!

I take solace in the fact that I would have done far better if it included colors the monitor can't display... haha! or far more gradations of purples...

PicOne
PicOne Veteran Member • Posts: 6,931
iPhone game app

As soon as I opened link, it reminded me of a game I have on my iPhone.  "blendoku" if you're interested.  Same thing with increasingly difficult puzzles

-- hide signature --

'Everything in photography boils down to what's sharp and what's fuzzy.'
-Gaylord Herron

OP (unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,324
thanks

PicOne wrote:

As soon as I opened link, it reminded me of a game I have on my iPhone. "blendoku" if you're interested. Same thing with increasingly difficult puzzles

-- hide signature --

'Everything in photography boils down to what's sharp and what's fuzzy.'
-Gaylord Herron

i don't have an iphone, but i'll see if it (or a clone) exists for android.

Lightpath48 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,005
65 yr. old male - 3

But it takes a little practice. This morning I went a bit too fast, and scored only 27. Tonight when more relaxed with nothing to do, I took my time and came out with a 3.

iMac 21" monitor, calibrated.

 Lightpath48's gear list:Lightpath48's gear list
Nikon D3400 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR II Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR
Morris Sullivan Veteran Member • Posts: 9,643
Re: I could blame the monitor

canonagain123 wrote:

Morris Sullivan wrote:

EthanP99 wrote:

did this years ago for a job...

I got 0

of course our monitors are the highest grade possible so it was pretty easy

I got a 7, I'll blame my $125 monitor at work.

With some time I might have gotten better. I quickly noticed that I needed to look away for a few seconds and look back to see some of the closer colors. If I looked to long they started blending.

but it is calibrated... I rather just admit I discern every color well except some greens/blue-greens Seeing as I probably discern purples, blues and reds better than some people, I'm fine with that, it all evens out. And I suppose it gives my photography a personal touch as well

Yes I was actually surprised at how well I did. I didn't expect to do very well. I've never though my eyes were that great. I blamed my monitor in jest.

OP (unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,324
Re: 65 yr. old male - 3

Lightpath48 wrote:

But it takes a little practice. This morning I went a bit too fast, and scored only 27. Tonight when more relaxed with nothing to do, I took my time and came out with a 3.

iMac 21" monitor, calibrated.

That's great!!

I only took the test once, otherwise it would have felt like cheating. I might not have given it a 100%, but since I gave at least 98%, I consider the results I got accurate enough

OP (unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,324
Re: I could blame the monitor

Morris Sullivan wrote:

canonagain123 wrote:

Morris Sullivan wrote:

EthanP99 wrote:

did this years ago for a job...

I got 0

of course our monitors are the highest grade possible so it was pretty easy

I got a 7, I'll blame my $125 monitor at work.

With some time I might have gotten better. I quickly noticed that I needed to look away for a few seconds and look back to see some of the closer colors. If I looked to long they started blending.

but it is calibrated... I rather just admit I discern every color well except some greens/blue-greens Seeing as I probably discern purples, blues and reds better than some people, I'm fine with that, it all evens out. And I suppose it gives my photography a personal touch as well

Yes I was actually surprised at how well I did. I didn't expect to do very well. I've never though my eyes were that great. I blamed my monitor in jest.

haha well done. I'm tempted to try again to see if I'll do any better, but I don't think the results will be much different. they're exactly what I expected, so I know it to be correct anyway, the exact points probably don't matter too much.

RhiteOn Regular Member • Posts: 460
Re: Can you see color? How well? Test!

Morris Sullivan wrote:

EthanP99 wrote:

did this years ago for a job...

I got 0

of course our monitors are the highest grade possible so it was pretty easy

I got a 7, I'll blame my $125 monitor at work.

With some time I might have gotten better. I quickly noticed that I needed to look away for a few seconds and look back to see some of the closer colors. If I looked to long they started blending.

That is because your cones became saturated. Look at a beige or medium gray color for 15-20 seconds, then go back to the test.

The thing that surprised me (and most people) is that the majority of us have zero color memory.

If you were to look at 25 paint swatches of medium blue, and you selected one swatch and noted the number on the reverse. And then you walked into another room, spread all the swatches on a table and tried to find the one you had previously selected - you would fail. We can remember the length, width and depth of something, but are unable to remember a color exactly.

And be aware of metamerism. This is a situation where a color appears different under two different light sources. For instance, you buy a green necktie at a store that has cool white fluorescent lighting. The tie should look perfect with your green suit. But, when you get it home and look at it in your living room (which is lit with incandescent bulbs) it looks entirely different - and doesn't match your suit. This is caused by metamerism.

In the past, most people had no system for judging color. Wise people used a light booth because they offer daylight, incandescent bulb and cool white fluorescent light sources. However, today many people invest in Spectrophotometers which can show a color deviance and print out a nice graph for review.

Jim

Lightpath48 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,005
Re: 65 yr. old male - 3

I learned the second time to move the most obvious tiles to their ends first, then to do side-by-side tests of two tiles at a time from the ends toward the center.  It was easier to get the proper sequencing in that way.  Good for the brain!

 Lightpath48's gear list:Lightpath48's gear list
Nikon D3400 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR II Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR
caspianm Senior Member • Posts: 2,298
Re: Can you see color? How well? Test!

I had tried this months ago and first try was 3 on my cheap laptop.

Decided to try again later on a better calibrated 24" and scored 6.

 caspianm's gear list:caspianm's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony Alpha a7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads